Will you consider the championship this year to be a real championship?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Regardless of who wins, will you count this as a real championship?
Yes, a championship is a championship and everyone played under the same circumstances.
90%
 90%  [ 77 ]
No, the circumstances were too strange for a championship this season to be seen as equivalent to other championships.
9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 85

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Will you consider the championship this year to be a real championship?

Discuss.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

I will unless there is an outbreak that takes out too many key players.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject:

Some people have been saying there should be asterisk for this ring, but I think it's opposite. This should count as more than one championship. The team that wins a ring (especially if it's any of the current top 5 teams in the NBA) will prove that they can win:

1. Without home court advantage in the playoffs (they don't have to rely on having home court to win a few games).
    2. In a weird environment
    3. Consistently. It wasn't about a hot streak. For example if the Lakers, Clippers, or Bucks win, they prove that the first half of the season wasn't just a fluke and that they weren't just riding on a "hot streak." If any of these top teams win, it shows that their roster and coaching staff were built to win a championship.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
Some people have been saying there should be asterisk for this ring, but I think it's opposite. This should count as more than one championship. The team that wins a ring (especially if it's any of the current top 5 teams in the NBA) will prove that they can win:

1. Without home court advantage in the playoffs (they don't have to rely on having home court to win a few games).
    3. Consistently. It wasn't about a hot streak. For example if the Lakers, Clippers, or Bucks win, they prove that the first half of the season wasn't just a fluke and that they weren't just riding on a "hot streak." If any of these top teams win, it shows that their roster and coaching staff were built to win a championship.

Do you asterisk 1999 or 2012?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject:

Whoever wins the championship this year is gonna deserve it because it takes a lot of effort and will to get through the pandemic.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
KBandKB wrote:

Nope --- maybe 1999, but definitely not 2012. 2012 was almost a full season, just short of a dozen games in the regular season.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

Absolutely.
AutumnWind
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject:

Only if the lakers win
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
KBandKB wrote:

Nope --- maybe 1999, but definitely not 2012. 2012 was almost a full season, just short of a dozen games in the regular season.

Why asterisk 1999 but not this season?

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:

Only if we win. If another team wins its b.s.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
KBandKB wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
KBandKB wrote:

Why asterisk 1999 but not this season?

I don't asterisk 1999, I said maybe... I need to look at that season again to see what the huge differences were. 50 games instead of 82 so that would be a 32 game difference. But no differences in the playoff format, so probably would not really warrant an asterisk. The only weird thing is that an 8th seed made the Finals, so that would need to be looked at more carefully to see if playing a shortened season made that happen.

Why this season should not be asterisked:

This season, the Lakers will play eventually 71 season games, which is even more than what was played in 2012. Basically almost a full slate of games.

Then you add the fact that if we win, we would have won without home court advantage, so if anything, we should get an even bigger prize: First team in the most recent history (besides the 90's Rockets) to win a championship without HCA.

Then you add the fact that most teams will be 100% healthy. Some teams that actually won rings in the past "got lucky" because a major opposing player got hurt midseason or something like that. I guess we'll find out if any major players here get hurt.

And then as I said, if the champ is a team like the Bucks, Clips, or Lakers, it shows that they were truly a dominant team, that they didn't have to rely on a "hot streak.' If any of these teams win, it proves that their roster is good enough to win and didn't just "get lucky."

And finally, playing in a bubble type environment seems even more challenging than normal.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm kind of torn tbh

I voted no because I still doubt that it'll be completed with every team reasonably intact

but if that happens then I would probably say yes considering the playoff field, number of rounds/games, rules, etc is the same as any other year

tldr: ask me in a couple of months
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers win, definitely a legitimate championship, for sure tougher circumstances than a regular championship for obvious reasons.

If the Lakers don't win, no way is it legit, deserves multiple asterisks.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

I say a championship is a championship no matter how many games are played. Look back at 1999 when the Spurs won their first. Of course everyone wanted to put an asterisk next to that Title, however, no one really speaks on that now and Timmy has his 5 rings in spite of.

Go Get that Trophy Lakers!
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject:

After everything that has happened if they win the title they will have definitely earned it.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject:

It depends on whether we win or not.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Only if Giannis wins.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

You can’t possibly vote for the yes option, not all teams will play under the same circumstances. Not all teams are even playing, only the hand picked teams.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject:

This whole turn of events with this season is unsatisfactory but no one asked for a global pandemic, so you take what you can get ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
You can’t possibly vote for the yes option, not all teams will play under the same circumstances. Not all teams are even playing, only the hand picked teams.

Yeah the teams who were mathematically out of the playoffs sure would make the championship a lot tougher.

As others have said.. you could argue this as a much tougher championship to win or it is inferior in value but either way the fact that bottom 8 teams weren't included has nothing to do with that.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

It depends on whether the lakers win it or not
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers win, no asterisk. If the Clippers or Celtics win, of course I will be saying it is an asterisk until the day I die. Double standard? Absolutely.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

you and I were typing the same thing at the same exact time....spooky
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

scottpot29 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

you and I were typing the same thing at the same exact time....spooky

exactly. I'll add to this....

If the Lakers win no asterisk for the Lakers.
But there is an individual asterisk for lebron.
Why? SO that we all are aware that one of these rings for him, whilst equivalent to a regular ring seen from the team's perspective, is only a partial individual ring for himself, due to the circumstances.

if the Lakers don't win, asterisk all around for whoever does. Cuz its bogus.
Why is it bogus? Because....how come whenever we are doing well, the NBA has to step in and ruin our momentum? First the veto, now this.

But wouldn't that still be an asterisk for the Lakers? No, because they owe us a couple of freebies to make up for the veto and other things. Just like they "gave" dallas the ring to make up for the debacle in 2006.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject:

It depends on the circumstances of who wins. What if no all stars are out with Covid? What if 50% of them are out with Covid?

If the lakers win it’s legit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: