What happened to LeBron's leadership?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
#1 seed in the West and still complaining.

Sadly we could win a championship and people will complain. It is what it is.

On the flip side, the Lakers could get swept in the first round and there would still be people who will be making excuses.

On the leadership issue, hasn’t James had moments when it was questioned? In Cleveland? Last year? TBD for the rest of this season.

On the performance issue, are the Lakers playing anywhere near where they need to be? Or as they were playing before the break? There certainly seems to be more going on then simply “resting” before the playoffs start.

Lakers are historically bad in the past 5 games. No team has shot worse in a 5 game stretch then what we just saw. (23.4%) James 4 games was 6/22 or 27%. Not James’ leadership but worthy of concern.

What is funny is you and I agree almost exactly on what it is going to take to win in the playoffs. Your signature stats for James and Davis is the only way they even have a chance at a deep playoff run IMO. And that includes the overall team defense and shooting improving too.

I hope they can and James leads them the entire way. I plan on showing up, will the Lakers?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PSA: Lakers clinched the #1 seed 2 games ago.

Psychoanalyzing each post-#1 seed clinched game in a bubble after 4 months off is well, psychotic.

They are 2-3 right now. What happened half a year ago is 100% different than what is happening now.

What are the Clips and Bucks records in the bubble? Teams that need to win every game to make the playoffs are playing like that. We have not throttled up at all.

I haven’t followed the Bucks closely but the Clippers are 3-2 I believe, though they are 4 points from being 5-0. As someone posted in another thread, the older teams are struggling getting going while the younger teams are rolling. What amazes me is that 36-37 yo Chris Paul is looking so spry.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
This overreaction is funny, because if this same thing happened without the restart/bubble, way less people would be freaking out. If the Lakers clinched the #1 seed with 10 games left (and had nothing left to play for) and started taking it easy/playing youngsters, most of us wouldn't bat an eye. But, because of the bubble, people are freaking out?

There's even LESS incentive to play hard in these games. It's no longer an 82 game season, so there's no point in trying to rack up as many wins as possible. There's no home court advantage, so the race with the Bucks is meaningless. And we're only playing GOOD teams, who are (for the most part) still jockeying for positioning and/or to get into the playoffs.

Why go all out and risk injury under those circumstances? Do people really think this Lakers team went from tops in the league, to worst because of a layoff? Just wait until the playoffs start before freaking out...

I'd still be concerned if the bolded were true.

Once you clinch the top seed, there's still plenty of incentive to play well, because you need to start peaking and be prepared for the first playoff game. If you do what the Lakers are doing heading into the playoffs, you'll be at a competitive disadvantage, especially since we're probably going to play Portland in the first round.

The Lakers are playing with fire right now. If they lose in the first or second round of the playoffs, we can look to the past few days or so as where it started to go wrong.

Did the Showtime teams ever start "taking it easy" after they clinched the top seed? Did Riley sit out Kareem for the remaining games? Did Magic start walking the ball upcourt and refusing to practice to "save his legs?"
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
This overreaction is funny, because if this same thing happened without the restart/bubble, way less people would be freaking out. If the Lakers clinched the #1 seed with 10 games left (and had nothing left to play for) and started taking it easy/playing youngsters, most of us wouldn't bat an eye. But, because of the bubble, people are freaking out?

There's even LESS incentive to play hard in these games. It's no longer an 82 game season, so there's no point in trying to rack up as many wins as possible. There's no home court advantage, so the race with the Bucks is meaningless. And we're only playing GOOD teams, who are (for the most part) still jockeying for positioning and/or to get into the playoffs.

Why go all out and risk injury under those circumstances? Do people really think this Lakers team went from tops in the league, to worst because of a layoff? Just wait until the playoffs start before freaking out...

Once you clinch the top seed, there's still plenty of incentive to play well, because you need to start peaking and be prepared for the first playoff game. If you do what the Lakers are doing heading into the playoffs, you'll be at a competitive disadvantage, especially since we're probably going to play Portland in the first round.

The Lakers are playing with fire right now. If they lose in the first or second round of the playoffs, we can look to the past few days or so as where it started to go wrong.

Did the Showtime teams ever start "taking it easy" after they clinched the top seed? Did Riley sit out Kareem for the remaining games? Did Magic start walking the ball upcourt and refusing to practice to "save his legs?"

The answer is yes. In terms of Riley giving players injured due "back spasms" and then the one year the Lakers clinched and rested a few of their starters and were fined by the league. Per the article, it has happened in two separate runs. 85 and 90.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-04-25-sp-115-story.html

Bye.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
slavavov wrote:

The answer is yes. In terms of Riley giving players injured due "back spasms" and then the one year the Lakers clinched and rested a few of their starters and were fined by the league. Per the article, it has happened in two separate runs. 85 and 90.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-04-25-sp-115-story.html

Bye.

According to that article, Riley only did it in the final game of the season, which I've seen Phil do during the Kobe era.

If it's just the last game of the season, that's cool. But more than that hurts your team in its efforts to be fine-tuned for the playoffs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:

Sadly we could win a championship and people will complain. It is what it is.

On the flip side, the Lakers could get swept in the first round and there would still be people who will be making excuses.

On the leadership issue, hasn’t James had moments when it was questioned? In Cleveland? Last year? TBD for the rest of this season.

On the performance issue, are the Lakers playing anywhere near where they need to be? Or as they were playing before the break? There certainly seems to be more going on then simply “resting” before the playoffs start.

Lakers are historically bad in the past 5 games. No team has shot worse in a 5 game stretch then what we just saw. (23.4%) James 4 games was 6/22 or 27%. Not James’ leadership but worthy of concern.

What is funny is you and I agree almost exactly on what it is going to take to win in the playoffs. Your signature stats for James and Davis is the only way they even have a chance at a deep playoff run IMO. And that includes the overall team defense and shooting improving too.

I hope they can and James leads them the entire way. I plan on showing up, will the Lakers?

I mean folks were saying this team would struggle and here we are at #1 in the difficult WC.

I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt. Don't jump ship so early fam. Remember that LBJ/AD are playoff monsters. Like legit threats that teams have to game plan individually. Together? That's like Compton and Long Beach together, no you know you in trouble.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers flashed the LBJ/AD PnR in the big games but have stayed away from it in the non-statement games.

It’s likely they will use it heavily in the playoffs and especially late in games.

No point in showing it during the seeding games.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject:

They're just missing a bunch of open threes. There are other issues but that is the biggest one.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject:

"Leadership" is in the eye of the beholder.

My take is players' "leadership" is based on results. A team wins, the top guy is a good leader. They lose, he isn't.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

My take is players' "leadership" is based on results. A team wins, the top guy is a good leader. They lose, he isn't.

From the books that I've read, leadership is more about activity than results.

A superstar's team doesn't necessarily have to win the championship for him to be considered a good leader.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:

I think people are complaining because of how the team is playing right now. We are #1 because of how we played before the shutdown. The 5 month layoff worked against us in terms of momentum, meanwhile other teams got rest and were able to bring back players who were injured. A dark horse team getting hot in the bubble wouldn't surprise me the least since this is basically a unique situation that will likely not be repeated in future seasons.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

They did not take it easy and how did that work out in 89? I mean this is sort of like asking did doctors start wearing masks and stop using leeches during the bubonic plague pandemic in the 1340s?

In the pre-science days of the 80s they did idiotic things like 2 practices a day on "off days" during the playoffs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

And some lead teammates while others lead stockholders.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:

I think people are complaining because of how the team is playing right now. We are #1 because of how we played before the shutdown. The 5 month layoff worked against us in terms of momentum, meanwhile other teams got rest and were able to bring back players who were injured. A dark horse team getting hot in the bubble wouldn't surprise me the least since this is basically a unique situation that will likely not be repeated in future seasons.

The team is 2-3. If that comforts some, then so be it. If they don’t solve some obvious issues, they won’t win the first Orlando Invitational.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:

From the books that I've read, leadership is more about activity than results.

A superstar's team doesn't necessarily have to win the championship for him to be considered a good leader.

What he means is, the narrative of such and such being a good/bad leader is often dictated by results, regardless of context or evidence.

'Devin Booker has been an outstanding leader in the bubble so far. He's determined to get the Suns into the playoffs.'

Has he really? Or is it just easy to grab for that given that they've played well?

LeBron isn't leading any differently than he has all season. It's just easy to grab for that in order to assign blame somewhere for how poorly the team has played.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: