Looking back, should we have signed Melo?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
No one is answering how Melo gets his 33mpg on this team with LBJ/AD/Kuz already playing the same positions as him. That was the issue.

Yeah, Kuz already should be getting a good 6-8+ more minutes then he got in game 1.

Also, maybe it was just me but for the majority of this game I was hoping they would force it out of anyone else's hands and let Carmelo shoot until the end. He's def. not a reason the Blazers won tonight.

Because they can trade Kuz during season and brought back other pieces. IE bench scoring, a legitimate back up PG or in our case, a capable PG.

But even with Kuz, there was times that all three of Kuz/AD/Bron play together. Sub out Kiz at time for Melo, sub out Bron for Melo. And in playoff format, we would and could use AD at C and having Melo helping at both three and four. On this team with lack of scoring we have right now, he easily is getting 15-20 minutes a game. The staff would have figured out a way to make the minutes work if Melo was on that night.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
No one is answering how Melo gets his 33mpg on this team with LBJ/AD/Kuz already playing the same positions as him. That was the issue.

Yeah, Kuz already should be getting a good 6-8+ more minutes then he got in game 1.

Also, maybe it was just me but for the majority of this game I was hoping they would force it out of anyone else's hands and let Carmelo shoot until the end. He's def. not a reason the Blazers won tonight.

Even though he hit that big 3 to pretty much create enough cushion for them to win at the end.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
hype wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Even though he hit that big 3 to pretty much create enough cushion for them to win at the end.

Yup. Melo has been coming up big all season, especially inside the Bubble. But you'll never get any admission from yinoma cause he's an ignorant hater. He's been laughing at me and bashing me ever since I suggested Lakers sign Melo. Even if he were scoring 9 ppg off the bench it would've been worth it since Portland misses the playoffs without Melo and we'd have a much easier path to the Championship.

Shoulda signed Melo!
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
hype wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup. Melo has been coming up big all season, especially inside the Bubble. But you'll never get any admission from yinoma cause he's an ignorant hater. He's been laughing at me and bashing me ever since I suggested Lakers sign Melo. Even if he were scoring 9 ppg off the bench it would've been worth it since Portland misses the playoffs without Melo and we'd have a much easier path to the Championship.

Shoulda signed Melo!

Melo is clutch and there are moments he for sure could help us. That said, I would rather just give more minutes to Kuzma than play Melo
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
hype wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Shoulda signed Melo!

1. He wasn't willing to play off the bench.
2. How is he getting 33mpg on the Lakers? Starting over LBJ or AD?

I don't hate Melo. If he wanted to be a bench player I would have happily had him. He clearly did not.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Melo is LBJ's boy. You don't think LBJ wanted him?

It was Melo's desire to start. Portland said they would let him. How do you go from not playing basically a season to starting in your first game back? That was what Portland offered.

It's crying about something that was never there for us to begin with.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It was Melo's desire to start. Portland said they would let him. How do you go from not playing basically a season to starting in your first game back? That was what Portland offered.

FWIW it seemed like Mitch Kupchak was crying as he followed Melo back to his car during his Free Agency Tour back in 14’
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

'Melo has such a sweet deal with Portland, he started a game right after signing, without even attending a practice.

I know junior-level basketball coaches who wouldn't allow that.

The only realistic way this team could have brought Melo in was to trade Kuzma first, and the deals for him weren't looking too great. There aren't minutes for both. Even then 'Melo would have to accept the bench role.
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Not true. Melo made it clear he would take any position, he just wanted to play. He and his agent confirmed this numerous times. Lakers never called. Stop trying to rewrite history.

The reason he was able to step in and start in Portland was due to injuries. Specifically to Hood and Collins making Portland make modifications to lineup.

Did he prefer starting, of course because he wants to play and get decent contract for next year. But it was not a requirement and not something he was requesting. Not sure why people try to rewrite history constantly when the facts are readily available to anyone that followed along
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Here we are in the playoffs, with the number 1 seed in the West. Did we fumble in our first real game since we clinched our #1 seed? Absolutely.

Would getting Melo have changed our #1 seed trajectory? No. So what exactly are we talking about here?

If anything I've wanted better 3/D wing players, or a perimeter player who can take guys off the dribble.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

I'll say this much. For the minimum, in retrospect, if he was willing to be a bench player, sure, we should have taken the gamble given his close friendship with LBJ.

But, he's a volume shooter. Not sure about his efficacy off the bench.

He played 32.8mpg, and took 13.5 shots a game. LBJ takes 19 shots a game; AD takes 18 a game. Kuz 11 shots a game, down from 15 the year before. So it would inevitably be a clash between Melo/Kuz and who gets more looks. Lakers are investing in Kuz, so maybe that means Melo gets less than 18-20mpg. Will he be effective in such a role, and would he want that?

He was able to go the Blazers, who had an immediate need, and got all the shots he wanted. He was a -3.6BPM this year with a 115 defensive rating and 12.4 PER (15 = league average). So, it's just not something I dwell on, particularly on a Lakers site like LG.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Portland suited up ten other players the night 'Melo joined them, and had two PFs, one who played for them last year even, come off the bench. Hood started and played 31 minutes. 'Melo was looking to start. A superstar doesn't go from "Ay yo P, they want me to come off the bench" to hat-in-hand, earnest role player in two seasons.

Another issue is Melo can't run the floor the way Kuzma can. Better iso player, but not good enough to take possessions from the two stars.

Markieff Morris could have gone to Portland instead to fill the void that developed, so it's likely they still make the playoffs. He'd have a bigger role than in Detroit, and plays better defense than Carmelo.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject:

We have no one that can make a wide open shot, melo would have been a massive upgrade.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

BLF2145 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Not true. Melo made it clear he would take any position, he just wanted to play. He and his agent confirmed this numerous times. Lakers never called. Stop trying to rewrite history.

The reason he was able to step in and start in Portland was due to injuries. Specifically to Hood and Collins making Portland make modifications to lineup.

Did he prefer starting, of course because he wants to play and get decent contract for next year. But it was not a requirement and not something he was requesting. Not sure why people try to rewrite history constantly when the facts are readily available to anyone that followed along

Bingo. Beggars can't be choosers so Melo was in no position to demand a starting role. He just wanted a real opportunity to prove he could still play and wanted to do it with Lebron & Lakers (proof posted below). Just another sad case of yinoma making up a fake stuff so he can make excuses for being wrong about Melo.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2848197-carmelo-anthony-one-thousand-percent-wants-to-play-with-lebron-james
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
BLF2145 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Bingo. Beggars can't be choosers so Melo was in no position to demand a starting role. He just wanted a real opportunity to prove he could still play and wanted to do it with Lebron & Lakers (proof posted below). Just another sad case of yinoma making up a fake stuff so he can make excuses for being wrong about Melo.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2848197-carmelo-anthony-one-thousand-percent-wants-to-play-with-lebron-james

What am I wrong about?

We still got the #1 seed.

I said if he was willing to take a bench role, sure.

He took an offer from a team willing to start him. Good for him.

Your singular focus on him, on a Lakers messageboard is really confounding. Plenty of other players we could have focused on but didn't. We move, and you need to as well.

Without Melo we are #1 in the West.

With Melo, we get #1 in the West. So what's the big loss?

Without a doubt not getting Mo Harkless/Darren Collison was a bigger loss than Melo to me. Those are genuine areas of need.

I mean, Melo is #318 on ESPN's NBA Real Plus-Minus - 2019-20.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/8
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
acer77 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
hype wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Shoulda signed Melo!

1. He wasn't willing to play off the bench.
2. How is he getting 33mpg on the Lakers? Starting over LBJ or AD?

I don't hate Melo. If he wanted to be a bench player I would have happily had him. He clearly did not.

For real, people going a bit overboard for Melo of all people?

I would have been cool with him playing a much lower minute bench role obviously as well but the only thing we heard was how he wanted to start and have a big role so people here somehow have these weird fantasies that not only would he accept not starting but also much lower minutes when Portland was offering him that role? Especially considering we have Lebron who I guarantee was talking to him.

Also, about that late 3 he hit which made him a great 3-11 on the night and completely dismissing the misses that helped keep us in the game and his awful defense as well.

I'd like to see Kuz play more minutes not less.

This Melo fascination is extremely strange, at least apply it to someone who would actually make a real difference.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
BLF2145 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

From the article:

"The 2012-13 NBA scoring champ added that winning a championship is still a goal for him, though he would want to join a team that gives him the opportunity to truly play."

What does "truly play" mean?

He can't come out and demand to start, that would be a PR nightmare. I was following this story as it unfolded. Chauncey Billups mentioned how 'Melo was in Denver. When they won, he was only happy if he scored his average or more. But when they lost, and he'd scored at least 30, he was walking around the locker room "picking everyone up".

www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2019/07/11/chauncey-billups-scoring-30-meant-too-much-to-carmelo-anthony/amp/
Julius Handle
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject:

Lakers_GOAT_Team_16X wrote:
Melo’s doing good in Portland but I don’t think he should have signed with us imagine he had a bad game and didn’t close a game or something imagine the headlines everybody creating drama of Melo not closing a game or not playing much.

Right. Better to sign Jared Dudley. No drama when you don't play him. Smart move, Laker brass. Meanwhile Melo with the double double, 5 assists, and yet again, another clutch three in the 4th quarter. Maybe Melo will join Lakers next season. Doubt it.
Julius Handle
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'll say this much. For the minimum, in retrospect, if he was willing to be a bench player, sure, we should have taken the gamble given his close friendship with LBJ.

But, he's a volume shooter. Not sure about his efficacy off the bench.

He played 32.8mpg, and took 13.5 shots a game. LBJ takes 19 shots a game; AD takes 18 a game. Kuz 11 shots a game, down from 15 the year before. So it would inevitably be a clash between Melo/Kuz and who gets more looks. Lakers are investing in Kuz, so maybe that means Melo gets less than 18-20mpg. Will he be effective in such a role, and would he want that?

He was able to go the Blazers, who had an immediate need, and got all the shots he wanted. He was a -3.6BPM this year with a 115 defensive rating and 12.4 PER (15 = league average). So, it's just not something I dwell on, particularly on a Lakers site like LG.

Interesting. Melo went to play with shotmakers like Dame, CJ, and Whiteside (and ultimately Nurk) and there was room for him there but no room on Lakers? Are the players on the Lakers that obsessed with their shot count? Blazers aren't. Melo doesn't take all the shots he wants. He takes all the shots that helps the team win. That's the kind of player the Lakers need. Bradley/Green/Melo/LeBron/AD with Kuz off bench is a solid contender. Why wasn't that obvious?
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
acer77 wrote:
BLF2145 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What am I wrong about?

Your singular focus on him, on a Lakers messageboard is really confounding. Plenty of other players we could have focused on but didn't. We move, and you need to as well.

Without a doubt not getting Mo Harkless/Darren Collison was a bigger loss than Melo to me. Those are genuine areas of need.

Yeah, #1 that is in real danger of losing to #8 that barely made the playoffs thanks to a player you thought was washed-up and not worth even a look keeps hitting clutch shot after clutch shot. Without Melo, Portland doesn't sneak into the playoffs and the Lakers are having a much easier time with Memphis.

Like I said, +/- is the most worthless stat in basketball. Do you think Portland regrets signing Melo? He's the 3rd scorer the Lakers desperately needed to win a championship and they could've had him for a no-risk non-guaranteed contract. Again, no team offered Melo a starting role, he only ended up being one due to injuries, so you can stop trying to push your fake revisionist history over and over again cause no one's buying it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
acer77 wrote:
BLF2145 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What am I wrong about?

Yeah, #1 that is in real danger of losing to #8 that barely made the playoffs thanks to a player you thought was washed-up and not worth even a look keeps hitting clutch shot after clutch shot. Without Melo, Portland doesn't sneak into the playoffs and the Lakers are having a much easier time with Memphis.

Like I said, +/- is the most worthless stat in basketball. Do you think Portland regrets signing Melo? He's the 3rd scorer the Lakers desperately needed to win a championship and they could've had him for a no-risk non-guaranteed contract. Again, no team offered Melo a starting role, he only ended up being one due to injuries, so you can stop trying to push your fake revisionist history over and over again cause no one's buying it.

The point is no one cares. Take this strange Melo obsession elsewhere. You sound like the Lakers lost the series. Good lord.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

It’s like we are going back in a time machine in this thread.
Some of y’all are acting like a bunch of Mitch Kupchak’s following Melo to his car after being shutdown in the pitch meeting.

Right now the Blazers as a whole are on Fire sure and Skinny Melo is playing well. But still doesn’t erase his horrible defense the guy can’t stay in front of anybody.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

AD
Melo
LBJ
pre-bubble KCP
Bradley

we could've had this as our starting five
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Like I said, +/- is the most worthless stat in basketball

It's probably THE stat that reflects the most effective lineups that led to being #1 in the West, that's all.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
It’s like we are going back in a time machine in this thread.
Some of y’all are acting like a bunch of Mitch Kupchak’s following Melo to his car after being shutdown in the pitch meeting.

Right now the Blazers as a whole are on Fire sure and Skinny Melo is playing well. But still doesn’t erase his horrible defense the guy can’t stay in front of anybody.

Melo is forced to play #3 option.

No wonder why he looks better.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: