Wolves Owner: No Intention of Trading KG

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Wolves Owner: No Intention of Trading KG

http://www.startribune.com/507/story/271101.html

Sorry, but I didn't see it posted. As an aside: Hey Mitch, this is how you're supposed to negotiate.

Glen Taylor doesn't agree with most media experts and some NBA people that contractwise, the Timberwolves are so tied up with long-term deals for unproductive players that they will never be a winner during the Kevin Garnett era.
Garnett has three years left on his contract, and Taylor said he hasn't any intention of ever trading Garnett because he wants to win a championship with the great player.

Taylor said an indication that the Wolves do have talent was the fact that before the trading deadline, other teams tried to trade with them for several of the players under long contracts, but the trades didn't make sense for the Wolves.

Taylor said his team is under the salary cap, won't have to pay luxury tax and is in a position to make the right deal if one develops that could put the team over the top.

With attendance down, Taylor will lose money this year unless the team makes the playoffs. "I don't feel that I'm tied up with contracts," he said. "I think with the trades, even with the trades that we've made, that we still have a number of options.

"Also, I have shown in the past that if the right deal came along, I'm willing to spend the money to put a championship together. I don't want to do it like some teams that have just spent money and it doesn't appear like their teams are any better. So Kevin McHale knows and we know that if the right opportunity came along, that money will not be the barrier for us to do some intriguing deals that might take us over the hump."

A fan of the team

Taylor, who describes his role as an owner as 60 percent fan and 40 percent businessman and doesn't have any intention of selling the Wolves, said he is pleased by the addition of the four players from the Celtics who came in the deal that sent Wally Szczerbiak to Boston.

"I'm still pleased with what they've done by bringing in these younger guys, more athletic players," he said. "I still think it's the type of guys you build around. I anticipated us being better this year than we are. So, I mean, that part of it I don't know the answer; [it] seems like we have the talent to do it, I don't know if it's the confidence, I don't know if it's playing together, I don't know if it's a combination of new coaches, all of those things. But I don't feel confined that we don't have options. I know some of the people may say that, but I'm just telling you personally I don't feel that way."

The Wolves, at 23-31, have little chance of making the playoffs this year, and whether they have the personnel to contend in the future is the big question.

However, Taylor repeated that he has complete confidence in McHale to put together a team that can win a NBA title.

"Until I find somebody better than McHale, he will run the show," Taylor said. "People forget how bad this team was when he took over. So far, nobody better has appeared."
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolves Owner: No Intention of Trading KG

raffi wrote:
Taylor said an indication that the Wolves do have talent was the fact that before the trading deadline, other teams tried to trade with them for several of the players under long contracts, but the trades didn't make sense for the Wolves.

Sure they did.

Quote:
Taylor said his team is under the salary cap, won't have to pay luxury tax and is in a position to make the right deal if one develops that could put the team over the top.

Last I checked the Wolves had $81 million in payroll this season and are committed to do not get under the cap (down to $46 million) until 2008-9.
They are both over the cap and the luxury tax threshold this season if the cap info on realgm is correct.

Quote:
With attendance down, Taylor will lose money this year unless the team makes the playoffs. "I don't feel that I'm tied up with contracts," he said. "I think with the trades, even with the trades that we've made, that we still have a number of options.

And yet he is tied up with contracts.

Quote:
"Also, I have shown in the past that if the right deal came along, I'm willing to spend the money to put a championship together. I don't want to do it like some teams that have just spent money and it doesn't appear like their teams are any better.

$81 million in payroll would argue otherwise.

Quote:
However, Taylor repeated that he has complete confidence in McHale to put together a team that can win a NBA title.

"Until I find somebody better than McHale, he will run the show," Taylor said. "People forget how bad this team was when he took over. So far, nobody better has appeared."[/i]

Well the team had only been in the league 5 years when McHale came in--I'm not sure anyone could have had them doing a lot better during that span. Did Taylor forget about the part where McHale cost them 3 1st round draft picks so he could give a max contract to Joe Smith under the table?

It is amazing that these people manage to get enough money to actually buy basketball teams when they are this delusional.

Anyway, good going Buss and Co. Make no moves in hope of KG. Now scratch him off the list. Hopefully Buss can try not to run his franchise into the ground like Taylor has.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject:

They need to trade Mchale.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"Also, I have shown in the past that if the right deal came along, I'm willing to spend the money to put a championship together. I don't want to do it like some teams that have just spent money and it doesn't appear like their teams are any better."[/b]
huh? when did he ever put a championship together???
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject:

KG and Kobe are screwed by their respective GMs
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:

KG sells seats. They don't want to trade KG, unless KG wants to leave. I can't blame them. They are already losing money. Losing KG won't help, unless their expenses are lowered and the move is compensated at least partially by adding someone who can draw fans. Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown haven't inspired fans. They need huge breakthrough seasons. Lamar Odom is like cake without the icing. He's substantial, but there is just a little something missing. He had 14/10/7 last night, almost a triple-double, but people don't seem to care.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
KG sells seats. They don't want to trade KG, unless KG wants to leave. I can't blame them. They are already losing money. Losing KG won't help, unless their expenses are lowered and the move is compensated at least partially by adding someone who can draw fans. Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown haven't inspired fans. They need huge breakthrough seasons. Lamar Odom is like cake without the icing. He's substantial, but there is just a little something missing. He had 14/10/7 last night, almost a triple-double, but people don't seem to care.
that's because we lost. you know, slit our wrists time, if we had won, he'd have been the best thing since sliced bread and we would be a lock for the Finals...that's just how it is around here...
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject:

Any day now.... he is going to say he does not want to play for Minny (I wish).

Garnett ejected for tossing ball into crowd
February 26, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Minnesota forward Kevin Garnett was ejected in the third quarter of Minnesota's victory over Memphis on Sunday for tossing the ball into the stands and accidentally hitting a fan.

Garnett was reacting in frustration after being called for an offensive foul.

"I just tossed it," Garnett said outside Minnesota's locker room before leaving the arena at the start of the fourth quarter. "I didn't even look at where I tossed it. I was just so ... mad."

Medical personnel examined the fan, who was wheeled from the court on a gurney to boos and later walked with his family and arena personnel to a back room. The fan declined to comment to the media. His condition wasn't immediately available, although he appeared to be uninjured.

With Minnesota leading 64-61 with 7:47 left in the quarter, Garnett was called for the foul while driving against Shane Battier on the baseline. The nine-time All-Star then lightly flipped the ball into the stands under the basket, hitting the male fan.

Garnett, who said he was upset by a previous call, said he didn't intend to throw the ball into the stands, but rather was trying to get a delay-of-game call.

LINK
fREaK
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

Couldn't the guy just catch the ball? Wait... Was that guy Kwame? Is that why he didn't show up for the game yesterday?
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:

KG has bad nights too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: