Hypothetical: Shaq/Kobe/Van Exel/Jones Championship :)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nightbringer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Hypothetical: Shaq/Kobe/Van Exel/Jones Championship :)

1998 was the last year that Shaq, Kobe, Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones played together on the Lakers. I don't remember too much from those years as I was still in grade school, but I do remember Kobe wowing me with his energy when he came into games and Shaq's dominance. My early years of watching Lakers games in the 90s was of seeing Nick the Quick and Eddie out there on the floor, and when we added Shaq I definitely thought we'd be a sure contender.

The Lockout season came and went, and during that year we broke up these 4 and Eddie and Nick went their separate ways to other teams. The next year we would go on to win a chip. But something that always stayed in the back of my mind was, if we had somehow kept Eddie and Nick, would we still have had the threepeat from 2000 to 2002? What strengths did they give us and what would they have taken away from those teams?

Also, if the 98-99 lockout didn't happen, could that have hypothetically been the Laker's first championship season with Shaq and Kobe? Or were we still missing some pieces/experience?
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject:

I still say to this day that the 97/98 team was more talented than the 3-peat Lakers. Shaq, Eddie, Nick, Kobe, Fox, Horry, Fisher, & Campbell on paper from top to bottom was the most talented team in the league, but team was viewed as "soft" and "chokers" with how badly they were eliminated in the 97, 98, & 99 playoffs. Plus, after Nick's cancun line, no chance he could really stay on the team after that.

If Phil would have gone straight to the Lakers during the lockout year instead of taking a year off, things could have gone a bit differently. If Phil was coaching instead of Del Harris for those teams, Lakers probably get over the hump imo, as I still say Harris was a solid to good coach for a young team that he can turn into a playoff team, but badly struggled with getting the team to that next level as real title contenders. Also, trading Eddie who would become an All-NBA caliber player the year after being traded for a washed-up Glen Rice, which Lakers probably would have hoped to have gotten better returns for Nick & Eddie, but Shaq & Kobe was so dominant it didn't matter much. It showed that fit matters just as much as talent, as Fisher, Fox, & Horry may not have been as talented as Nick, Eddie, & Campbell, they didn't need the ball in their hands, did all the little things, were able to spot up as floor spacers, sacrificed for the team without complaining about their roles, etc. Overall, Lakers needed to go through those failures from the late 90's in order to become champions and three-peat.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject:

I'm grateful that Robert Horry threw that towel at Danny Ainge's face so that they would trade him to us for Lake Havasu Ceballos
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

Ugh I remember I was totally on board with Glen Rice for Eddie deal, had always been my favorite non Laker of that era (along with pre-chunky Kemp). Well at least we got a title out of that has been. Also no way Kobe was gonna be held down as 6th man since Eddie played his position so big picture I understood that trade was necessary for the future. Even if we matched up better with the Last Dance Bulls we were getting Pn'R to death by the Jazz so our core needed some tweaks and vet precense.

NVE trade I was pissed the moment the LA Times reported it, Battie and Lue were the only returns, what the (bleep) were the Jerrys thinking then, one of their rare gaffes.

Last edited by MookieBetts50 on Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:48 am; edited 3 times in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

On paper, the crew from the 97/98 team was more talented than the threepeat team, so it probably would have won it we kept it together.

That said, what works on paper doesn't always work on the court.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

The one that got away: 1989: (bleep) Riles overworked everyone to exhaustion.. (and injury)
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
The one that got away: 1989: (bleep) Riles overworked everyone to exhaustion.. (and injury)

Ugh I was only ten years old then but I remember being so dejected and didn't the Piston fan cheer when both Magic and Byron had to get helped off The Palace court with their hamstring injuries? Couldn't watch that (bleep) after that. 1989 Pistons should be asterisked for all time.

Yes Riles is the king of the B2B but could never get out of his way to become 3Peat Legend like Phil would become.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject:

I remember the Nick Van Excel, Jones, Shaq, Kobe days...they were quite talented.

I also remember that Utah would run the pick and roll with Malone and Stockton over and over in the playoffs and the Lakers couldn't stop it.

Than when they dump the ball into Shaq, Utah would wait for him to make his move (rather than double team right away) and really frustrate the Lakers offense.

I just remember how frustrating it was to watch the Lakers-Utah playoff series in 1997 & 1998. Utah just kept milking the same pick and roll over and over. And the Lakers had no one to guard Malone.

Than in the lockout year of 1999 they run into the twin towers of the Spurs of Duncan and Robninson. 2 bigs were just a lot for Shaq to handle. And Kobe wasn't ready to pick up the slack.

2001 in the rematch was a totally different story. Kobe just went nuts on the Spurs and they had no answer. They even got a guy named Bruce Bowen, known as a Kobe stopper. But when Kobe is in a zone, "Kobe stopper" doesn't really exist.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject:

Dull Harris ruined our changes of winning a championship with that roster. Those Kobe airballs were not his fault. He played Nick Van Exel the first 3 quarters, then got into a petty argument with him on the bench and threw Kobe in the game even though he was being stupid and stubborn with Kobe's minutes the entire season trying to I guess "Teach the youngster a lesson". Phil comes in and in his first year wins a championship with a lesser roster.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Ugh I remember I was totally on board with Glen Rice for Eddie deal, had always been my favorite non Laker of that era (along with pre-chunky Kemp). Well at least we got a title out of that has been. Also no way Kobe was gonna be held down as 6th man since Eddie played his position so big picture I understood that trade was necessary for the future. Even if we matched up better with the Last Dance Bulls we were getting Pn'R to death by the Jazz so our core needed some tweaks and vet precense.

NVE trade I was pissed the moment the LA Times reported it, Battie and Lue were the only returns, what the (bleep) were the Jerrys thinking then, one of their rare gaffes.

Kobe needed that room to grow. By him as the lead guard, we were better in getting the team into that rhythm. Kobe learned when to settle and when to attack as Harper taught him how Jordan managed the game. I was upset at NVE trade ( we could have gotten more but the Logo thought otherwise) but the end justified the means, Kobe became that clutch. I loved Eddie Jones but as games get tighter , he tend to disappear.

Last edited by CRoost on Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
The Nightbringer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Dull Harris ruined our changes of winning a championship with that roster. Phil comes in and in his first year wins a championship with a lesser roster.

The WCF of 96 or 97 (Can't remember which year it was exactly) still haunts me to this day. Del was just not a good playoff coach...

When you think about it, we could've had a pretty great starting 4:

Van Exel
Kobe
Eddie
Shaq

With Horry/Rodman or even Elden Campbell (if we didn't trade him) filling in at the 4
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:

The Nightbringer wrote:
kwase wrote:
Dull Harris ruined our changes of winning a championship with that roster. Phil comes in and in his first year wins a championship with a lesser roster.

The WCF of 96 or 97 (Can't remember which year it was exactly) still haunts me to this day. Del was just not a good playoff coach...

Van Exel
Kobe
Eddie
Shaq

With Horry/Rodman or even Elden Campbell (if we didn't trade him) filling in at the 4

Money.

Eddie got his max, Nick got near max in Denver. Lakers ain't paying 4 guys that type of money.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Dull Harris ruined our changes of winning a championship with that roster. Those Kobe airballs were not his fault. He played Nick Van Exel the first 3 quarters, then got into a petty argument with him on the bench and threw Kobe in the game even though he was being stupid and stubborn with Kobe's minutes the entire season trying to I guess "Teach the youngster a lesson". Phil comes in and in his first year wins a championship with a lesser roster.

I don't think PJ wins in 97 or 98. Kobe didn't walk on water straight outta high school. He was an all-star second year due to popularity not merit. His first true all-star season was 99, then he upped it again under Phil in 2000. Then the rest is history. PJ had impeccable timing. Pippen was only in his 1st or 2nd year when Doug Collins got fired. Players need a few years to develop. PJ didn't have the unfortunate timing of being at the helm when these guys are in their rookie/softmore years.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I was in grade school during those years but I never understood why Eddie Jones never played like regular season Eddie Jones. As I got older I realized dude just wasn’t a postseason player.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
I was in grade school during those years but I never understood why Eddie Jones never played like regular season Eddie Jones. As I got older I realized dude just wasn’t a postseason player.

I think in hindsight, Eddie was exactly what he was. As Laker fans, we just wanted more, hoping for more. We had Coop and Byron for the longest time. We never had a high flying 6'6 do it all wing. The 90's was a time when the SG was starting to get big. Everyone wanted the next MJ, the next Pippen, a wing that plays SG, PG as well as SF. So we were pretty excited to get one of these wings, and I think we imagined something in him that wasn't there. Little did we know, the real deal was coming in 97, a 6'6 do it all guard that was truly in the mold of MJ. Damn, we've been spoiled.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

The Nightbringer wrote:
kwase wrote:

Van Exel
Kobe
Eddie
Shaq

We just could not figure Utah out during those years. Those Bulls teams breathed easier every time Utah knocked us out. We were a nightmare matchup for them.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Del (bleep) Harris
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject:

npz will have some interesting thoughts on this.

I also feel on paper this team was more talented. But there's the Kobe factor. Would you rather have kobe over nick and eddie etc? Most people now would laugh at that, but at the time it was a totally valid question and I may have sided with the nick eddie team.

These guys, without Shaq, beat the sonics who were in a finals series with MJ. Very underrated squad, and again most people forget they were very very popular. I remember people asking if the BI /Lonzo squad was similar....no.

yes i place most of the blame on Del also.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
The Nightbringer wrote:
kwase wrote:

Van Exel
Kobe
Eddie
Shaq

We just could not figure Utah out during those years. Those Bulls teams breathed easier every time Utah knocked us out. We were a nightmare matchup for them.

Yeah, we always played the Bulls tough. I remember in 97 or 98 when Shaq was hurt, Elden Camplbell torched them for like 33 points or something. I believe the next game or so Elden had 40 against Patrick Ewing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject:

Crazy fact. I never knew that Nick Van Exel was born and raised in Kenosha.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: