Thank God, I don't have to watch James Harden play basketball no more this season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

I agree his playing style makes him unwatchable, it is terrible basketball and the flopping and flailing endlessly for fake foul calls is well past tired.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I also hate watching him play.

Yup πŸ’ƒπŸΎπŸ’ƒπŸΎπŸ’ƒπŸΎ **gives Harden Dame Lillard/William Rondo wave πŸ‘‹πŸΎ **
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

Gotta blame the league (and refs) more than him. They're the ones who have allowed his antics and encouraged this entire style of basketball and hands off defense generally. He's a great offensive player and very skilled. He is really good at legitimately drawing fouls. I just hate that all the excesses are encouraged by the league, stats people, sports media, and the 3 point dominant style of today's game. I agree with the basic point of his game just being hard to enjoy visually.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Gotta blame the league (and refs) more than him. They're the ones who have allowed his antics and encouraged this entire style of basketball and hands off defense generally. He's a great offensive player and very skilled. He is really good at legitimately drawing fouls. I just hate that all the excesses are encouraged by the league, stats people, sports media, and the 3 point dominant style of today's game. I agree with the basic point of his game just being hard to enjoy visually.

Agreed. Harden is the current pinnacle of what the league has been striving for. The whole:
1) defenders aren't entitled to the space they're in.
2) The defend twitched so it's a block
3) Shooter Kickouts still aren't called unless it's a full-on hook
4) Defenders can't handcheck but Offenders can

The league sold it's soul to highlight "small" men shooting guards that everyone can sympathize with since there's a lot more of them than talented bigs. A false scheme to seek more parity.

P.S. the funniest BBall play of the year was the closing seconds of the OKC Houston series with CP3 and Harden flopping multiple times!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Harden will never win anything till he gets rid of the gimmick and stops basing his entire style around drawing fouls and shooting free throws.

But he shows no inclination to do either.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
Never liked him, not even in OKC from the bench. I really hate the way he uses and bends the rules to his advantage (same reason I never liked Wade). But I am afraid we will see a lot more of this.
I'm sure you've explained this before, but I haven't seen it. What did Wade do to to use and bend the rules?
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Reggie Miller started this mess, league needs to clean it up.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject:

For me the most disgusting player to watch in many many years. He is everything opposite of basketball I know and like. Glad we kicked his ass.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I agree his playing style makes him unwatchable, it is terrible basketball and the flopping and flailing endlessly for fake foul calls is well past tired.

well said...!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

Like I've said before, he's a conman living the high life by fooling the refs. Drawing fouls is a basketball skill few has mastered and Harden is one of them.

My prediction was true. No homecourt for Houston. No 40 FT's a game for Harden and they have no other answers since they've been relying on his floppiness to make it all these times. I hope he stays in Houston so we won't have to see them again in the playoffs.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Like I've said before, he's a conman living the high life by fooling the refs. Drawing fouls is a basketball skill few has mastered and Harden is one of them.

Best way to describe Harden that I have ever seen! "A con man living the high life" ........perfect!
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
focus wrote:

Agreed. Harden is the current pinnacle of what the league has been striving for. The whole:
1) defenders aren't entitled to the space they're in.
2) The defend twitched so it's a block
3) Shooter Kickouts still aren't called unless it's a full-on hook
4) Defenders can't handcheck but Offenders can

The league sold it's soul to highlight "small" men shooting guards that everyone can sympathize with since there's a lot more of them than talented bigs. A false scheme to seek more parity.

P.S. the funniest BBall play of the year was the closing seconds of the OKC Houston series with CP3 and Harden flopping multiple times!

I don't think this has anything to do with what the league has been striving for. I think a case can be made, and backed up with data, that Harden is an outlier in how he is refereed versus the average NBA player. Given how the Rockets were demolished, clearly none of this gives them any sort of advantage, and I don't think there are any remaining players in the playoffs that could argue are called vastly differently.

Furthermore, it is worth noting that of the remaining teams, 4 of them are forward led teams, not guards, and, one of the remaining teams has a classic PG-C tandem. So I fail to see how the league has sold it's soul to seek more parity or get ratings or whatever. This is a common lament from people stuck in the 90s who want to go back to watching some guy back someone down with a live dribble in isolation for 20 seconds of the shot clock and take a low percentage shot while being hand checked. Meh. I can be happy with the version of the NBA where the Lakers are within striking distance of another title.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Good riddance. His game relies on conjuring charity stripe magic. When whistles fall silent, he turns mortal. Live by the zebras, die by the zebras.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject:

He leads the league in scoring, but plays very little defense. He has made strides as a passer though. He’s done well to prove himself after being slighted in OKC. I see Luka as the best player in Texas.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
Harden makes the most of what he has, but IMO he'll never win a chip as a #1 because he lacks the athleticism to compete at a high level in the playoffs when the intensity gets ratcheted up a notch. He's a beach cruiser going up against guys with 11 gears. Good luck with that, and enjoy the meaningless regular season accolades.

I rather like watching him fail in the playoffs.

Why can no one stay in front of this guy when his athleticism is not elite? Maybe he can't jump high but his ability to beat people off the dribble is incredible. He goes right by anyone who tries to guard him one one one. Without aggressive help defense he would be shooting layups the whole game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: