Zo Signs With Klutch Sports
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Pels aren't going to just let him walk. They'll trade him first and we don't have the right assets to make a trade for Zo (b/c the Pels have said assets ). I thought Zo and Zion had good chemistry.

All of this. I don't see Griffin sending Zo packing when he synced immediately with Zion. Good defensive point guards aren't easy to find. Plus, Zo just commented on how being away from his family and living on his own has been good for him to grow up, etc.

Would love to have him back. But, I don't see how that happens any time soon.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Zo is pre-injury Shaun Livingston. NBA talent, stat line filler, but not a leader and not a star.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Pels aren't going to just let him walk. They'll trade him first and we don't have the right assets to make a trade for Zo (b/c the Pels have said assets ). I thought Zo and Zion had good chemistry.

All of this. I don't see Griffin sending Zo packing when he synced immediately with Zion. Good defensive point guards aren't easy to find. Plus, Zo just commented on how being away from his family and living on his own has been good for him to grow up, etc.

The Pels don't need Zo because they have Jrue (for now) and Nickiel Alexander Walker.

Even Frank Jackson as a 3rd string guard is top notch.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Zo is pre-injury Shaun Livingston. NBA talent, stat line filler, but not a leader and not a star.

And we wouldn't pay him like one, so what's the issue?

Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Rek wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The Pels don't need Zo because they have Jrue (for now) and Nickiel Alexander Walker.

I was just under the impression that NOP would be more likely to shop Jrue's contract to continue shaping the pieces around that young core. If Lonzo is available, I'd jump all over that.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Exactly. People in this thread hate Zo so much it's baffling.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Rek wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I was just under the impression that NOP would be more likely to shop Jrue's contract to continue shaping the pieces around that young core. If Lonzo is available, I'd jump all over that.

Jrue is probably the ultimate culture guy for that team. If Jrue leaves, I don't know what veteran they can look to for guidance. But if Jrue wants to leave for a more winning team, by all means he should do it.

My only point was, the Pelicans are absolutely stacked with young talent. So much so, that they can bank on Zion and work on getting a great 2nd guy (since apparently it's not BI) and not have to rely on role/super role players to affect them so much.

Like, I really enjoy that McDonald's All American team and they were a bit fun to watch on offense, but they can't play defense and they're getting in their own way with player discipline for improvement, especially in crunch time.

Honestly, they should go after Beal.

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Think of a Marcus Smart type effect on D. Zo can be that, but so much more because he's a much better point. He improved on his 3 last season 37.5% which is very good.

Zo will never be as tough as Smart is. To think we almost had him instead of Randle.

Yeah well, we would have renounced Smart anyways. Cap Space was our deity.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Not hating, just not impressed.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Not hating, just not impressed.

if you are expecting him to a star and a leader thats a wrong expectation to have
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Think of a Marcus Smart type effect on D. Zo can be that, but so much more because he's a much better point. He improved on his 3 last season 37.5% which is very good.

Zo will never be as tough as Smart is. To think we almost had him instead of Randle.

Yeah well, we would have renounced Smart anyways. Cap Space was our deity.

You can judge people's basketball acumen here by what they used to think of Marcus Smart; many here used to pan Ainge for selecting him and valuing him. I contend he is Boston's heart, Tatum/Hayward/Brown/walker may get the points but Smart is the one that makes them tick and if not for him they wouldn't be where they are. I was wrong about Smart and, by extension, about Ainge.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

On the "Lightharted Podcast" with former Lakers and current Pelicans teammate Josh Hart, Lonzo admitted the ZO2 model was "not ready" to be used in an actual basketball game.

"No one knows this, but (Lonzo's manager Darren Moore) had a backpack and he had an extra, like, four pairs of shoes in there because I had to switch them every quarter because they would just rip," Lonzo said. "If I had say in the first two games — the real truth — the shoes wasn't ready."

"I had to debut them," Lonzo said. "We went so far with it. Cool, I can get a quarter in, but that's it. We gotta switch 'em every quarter. And it's crazy, because right when I switched my shoes, all of a sudden, magically I got good again."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/lonzo-lamelo-ball-big-baller-brand-brothers-family-business/18gs8olj33bve1s8jbyk9f34y0

Did this contribute to all his ankle injuries
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
On the "Lightharted Podcast" with former Lakers and current Pelicans teammate Josh Hart, Lonzo admitted the ZO2 model was "not ready" to be used in an actual basketball game.

"No one knows this, but (Lonzo's manager Darren Moore) had a backpack and he had an extra, like, four pairs of shoes in there because I had to switch them every quarter because they would just rip," Lonzo said. "If I had say in the first two games — the real truth — the shoes wasn't ready."

"I had to debut them," Lonzo said. "We went so far with it. Cool, I can get a quarter in, but that's it. We gotta switch 'em every quarter. And it's crazy, because right when I switched my shoes, all of a sudden, magically I got good again."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/lonzo-lamelo-ball-big-baller-brand-brothers-family-business/18gs8olj33bve1s8jbyk9f34y0

Maybe but he doesn't have to wear those anymore.

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

Lonzo has a malignant narcissist for a pappy and he ruined his son's career. Cost him tens of millions in a sneaker deal with Nike, and lord only knows how many other endorsements. And then to add insult to injury, he and his shady ex-felon business partner was stealing money from him. Zo finally jumped ship, but it's too late. The bloom is off the rose. He can still have a serviceable career, but that superstar life with the superstar checks...that ship has sailed.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
drae wrote:

Lonzo has a malignant narcissist for a pappy and he ruined his son's career. Cost him tens of millions in a sneaker deal with Nike, and lord only knows how many other endorsements. And then to add insult to injury, he and his shady ex-felon business partner was stealing money from him. Zo finally jumped ship, but it's too late. The bloom is off the rose. He can still have a serviceable career, but that superstar life with the superstar checks...that ship has sailed.

The problem is I know LaMelo has a shoe deal with Puma but I can't find any shoe deal for Lonzo. And I know that Lonzo is still with BBB as a sort of backseat partner. I'm very hopeful Lonzo signed some kind of shoe deal and he's still not pushed around by his dad
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject:

When Magic said Zo would be hanging up in the rafters, turns out he meant with the rest of us in the 300 level seats.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
drae wrote:

The problem is I know LaMelo has a shoe deal with Puma but I can't find any shoe deal for Lonzo. And I know that Lonzo is still with BBB as a sort of backseat partner. I'm very hopeful Lonzo signed some kind of shoe deal and he's still not pushed around by his dad

The time to make the caper was in the beginning when there was all the hype. Zo was the #2 overall pick in the draft, he was on the Lakers and expected to get a lot of playing time. You have that kind of lights camera action on you, people are waiting in line to invest in you...people like Nike. They were offering high 8 figures...but Blowhard BBB Pappy torpedoed that deal because he just wanted the Nike infrastructure and money backing him but only the BBB brand on all the product. Now fast-forward 3-4 years later, lots of injuries later from wearing those funky shoes, he's a whole lotta fizz without a whole lotta pop. Who's gonna invest in that?? NOW, he has to prove himself, and even that won't get him anywhere near the kind of money he would have gotten had he had REAL representation in the beginning instead of his narc pappy.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

I don't know that he ruined his son's career. What Lonzo does on the court is his own responsibility. It's not like Lavar is his free throw coach in the NBA. On the money side, Lavar has made some poor decisions, for sure, but on the other hand he hyped Lonzo enough that he got drafted way too high. That is worth millions of dollars to Lonzo. I don't think any of us know how much he made on the reality TV show. If Lavar hadn't blundered with the shoe deal, Lonzo would be making way more than his basketball performance warrants. But overall, I expect that Lonzo is doing just fine.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I just keep envisioning him as a Draymond Green type of "weird fit/unique skillset" guy who plugs in so many holes in an unconventional manner. He obviously doesn't have the dog in him like Dray does, but he has so many interesting skills (and lacks traditional ones like finishing at the rim, mid-range games).

I see the comparison, but Green's game starts with elite level defense. Ball is a good defender, but not elite. If it weren't for the "dog" in Green, which makes him an elite defender, would his skillset be enough to make him a star in the NBA? I doubt it.

Right. However, I'd have to give him a few more years. Dray entered the NBA at age 22, which is where Zo is. It wasn't until a few years that Dray started shining. I can't really write Zo off just yet in terms of him being an elite defender.

Let’s be real - if Draymond was not on the Warriors and surrounded by two of the best shooter of all-time, he wouldn’t be close to an all-star and would be a major offensive liability.

So Zo with 2 elite bigs in Bron/Brow might be ok, starter version of Rondo

Nope. Klay and Steph can shoot of the screens and aren’t the best creators. GS had the perfect roster to maximize Draymond.

Lakers roster isn’t made for Lonzo and honestly you might never be able to make a roster to overcome his shortcomings.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Easy pass on Zo, dude is horrible and living off of his draft position at this point. He is certainly not an NBA player, he was terrible for the Lakers and we have been drama free since his departure, I certainly prefer it this way.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
governator wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I just keep envisioning him as a Draymond Green type of "weird fit/unique skillset" guy who plugs in so many holes in an unconventional manner. He obviously doesn't have the dog in him like Dray does, but he has so many interesting skills (and lacks traditional ones like finishing at the rim, mid-range games).

I see the comparison, but Green's game starts with elite level defense. Ball is a good defender, but not elite. If it weren't for the "dog" in Green, which makes him an elite defender, would his skillset be enough to make him a star in the NBA? I doubt it.

Right. However, I'd have to give him a few more years. Dray entered the NBA at age 22, which is where Zo is. It wasn't until a few years that Dray started shining. I can't really write Zo off just yet in terms of him being an elite defender.

Let’s be real - if Draymond was not on the Warriors and surrounded by two of the best shooter of all-time, he wouldn’t be close to an all-star and would be a major offensive liability.

So Zo with 2 elite bigs in Bron/Brow might be ok, starter version of Rondo

Nope. Klay and Steph can shoot of the screens and aren’t the best creators. GS had the perfect roster to maximize Draymond.

Lakers roster isn’t made for Lonzo and honestly you might never be able to make a roster to overcome his shortcomings.

I think he's an easy fit next to a jumbo initiator like Lebron and a fast break big like AD.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Post-injury Shaun Livingston had a great run with the Warriors. Are you saying that the pre-injury version wasn’t a fundamentally different player?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Post-injury Shaun Livingston had a great run with the Warriors. Are you saying that the pre-injury version wasn’t a fundamentally different player?

Also no one remembers pre-injury Shaun Livingston.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Zo Signs With Klutch Sports

anth2000 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1305488468001386497?s=19

Could a reunion be in the cards? I'd be down with that.

Yuck. That boat has sailed. No thanks.
When I see Tatum blossom, I just wanna cry.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Zo Signs With Klutch Sports

Tanlentueux wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1305488468001386497?s=19

Could a reunion be in the cards? I'd be down with that.

Yuck. That boat has sailed. No thanks.
When I see Tatum blossom, I just wanna cry.

Hopefully he can have many more game ending shots being rejected in the playoffs for years to come. That should help sooth your soul.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12
Jump to: