WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS 2020 DISCUSSION - Lakers vs Nuggets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
eureca wrote:
I hope this ends in 5. Not only for the Lakers sake, but so I don't have to listen to Chris Webber, Reggie Miller and the other douche again this season.

Where is Kevin Harlan when you need him?

Couldn't agree more. They're brutally awful, how were they chosen to be one of the final 2 broadcasting crews?

What was even more telling is I have watched a few games now with family that don't normally watch much Basketball and they have even mentioned how bad the commentators were

Both Webber (2002 WCF) and Miller (2000 Finals) can partially blame the Lakers for not having any rings when they retired.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I expect Denver to get all the calls tomorrow after they complained to the league. We will be playing 5 on 8. It won't be easy to close them out.

This. Our guys have to expect the worst, refs giving the nuggets a boost, and Jamal will come out swinging, as will other guys like Jeremi Grant. And until the final buzzer sounds, Denver will be relentless.

As Vogel said, they know the next game will be the toughest of them all.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
32 wrote:
I expect Denver to get all the calls tomorrow after they complained to the league. We will be playing 5 on 8. It won't be easy to close them out.

This. Our guys have to expect the worst, refs giving the nuggets a boost, and Jamal will come out swinging, as will other guys like Jeremi Grant. And until the final buzzer sounds, Denver will be relentless.

As Vogel said, they know the next game will be the toughest of them all.

Grant has been good for them. Impressed with his game.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Malone: "The fact that we built it like a mom-and-pop shop from within...Without going out and signing marquee names and big trades. We did it with young players, and player development and it was organic in nature and I think that's what makes this that much more satisfying."

This guy is a piece of work.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Malone: "The fact that we built it like a mom-and-pop shop from within...Without going out and signing marquee names and big trades. We did it with young players, and player development and it was organic in nature and I think that's what makes this that much more satisfying."

Denver is another loser organization. Slightly better than the Clippers and have never been to the NBA Finals.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

From reading other boards and doing a few QFTOS, I can tell you this is what bothers other teams the most about us. Can’t blame them.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

From reading other boards and doing a few QFTOS, I can tell you this is what bothers other teams the most about us. Can’t blame them.

I get it, but to be fair the Lakers sucked a lot and gave up essentially their entire young core.

I totally get it from the perspective that players are more likely to sign with big markets, but also look at the Knicks...still can’t get a top player.

The Lakers haven’t exactly been great at luring FAs. All they did was hand the keys to Klutch. No one told the Nuggets they couldn’t hand their organization to Rich Paul
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Honestly, it bothers some of us, too. I'm happy that we're on the verge of winning another title. No question. But this would be Lebron winning a title with his third different manufactured team. I'll buy some of the championship merchandise, but this isn't going to feel as satisfying as any of the last five titles.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

I get it, but to be fair the Lakers sucked a lot and gave up essentially their entire young core.

I totally get it from the perspective that players are more likely to sign with big markets, but also look at the Knicks...still can’t get a top player.

The Lakers haven’t exactly been great at luring FAs. All they did was hand the keys to Klutch. No one told the Nuggets they couldn’t hand their organization to Rich Paul

Sure. But no other team can be a dumpster fire for years and the result is Lebron and AD. I can imagine it’s frustrating. The Nuggets would have happily handed the keys to Klutch. The offer wasn’t on the table for them.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Yea, they've grown their team organically to take another L in the WCF. 0 Conference Titles, 0 Finals appearances, just plain 0.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

I mean, you can call it trolling, but homegrown players are always going to resonate more than free agent signings. It's why Laker fans loved Jerry more than Wilt, Magic more than Kareem, Kobe more than Shaq. Why we have fond memories of Eddie and NVE even though they didn't win anything. And why Caruso is called GOAT.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

I mean, you can call it trolling, but homegrown players are always going to resonate more than free agent signings. It's why Laker fans loved Jerry more than Wilt, Magic more than Kareem, Kobe more than Shaq. Why we have fond memories of Eddie and NVE even though they didn't win anything. And why Caruso is called GOAT.

What about Bynum vs Pau and Odom?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Bynum only one season got up there with Pau and Odom as a player, though.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

I think it's a fair statement for players of equal caliber. For instance, I think Worthy is probably more beloved than Pau, and Cooper more than Odom
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Sure. But no other team can be a dumpster fire for years and the result is Lebron and AD. I can imagine it’s frustrating. The Nuggets would have happily handed the keys to Klutch. The offer wasn’t on the table for them.

The Lakers should lord it over the rest of the league. Most of the online taunts from other teams' fans from 2014-2018 has been that the Lakers weren't a draw for stars anymore and would be a bad franchise for years and years.

No, (bleep) you! Lakers exceptionalism. It should be amplified and celebrated.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

The Lakers should lord it over the rest of the league. Most of the online taunts from other teams' fans from 2014-2018 has been that the Lakers weren't a draw for stars anymore and would be a bad franchise for years and years.

Hey man I’m all for it

We are extremely fortunate to be in this position. We jumped the line.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Honestly, it bothers some of us, too. I'm happy that we're on the verge of winning another title. No question. But this would be Lebron winning a title with his third different manufactured team. I'll buy some of the championship merchandise, but this isn't going to feel as satisfying as any of the last five titles.

Right. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy we have Lebron and AD. But it would have been more special had we kept BI, drafted Tatum instead of Ball and were able to see them grow into contenders. Even that team plus Lebron. But as it is now it seems like it’s the Los Angeles Lebrons considering how many vets we have that are journeymen. That 2009 team felt way more special since it felt like they grew into contenders rather than were *assembled* (obv Pau was a huge acquisition). Kobe, Odom, Bynum, Sasha, Fisher, Farmar — they all were drafted by us or spent plenty of time with the team which builds a better connection with the fan base.

This is also the main reason why I never wanted a 3rd guy like Kawhi or Jimmy. Right now we’re contenders. A 3rd superstar turns us into the KD warriors which is essentially unwatchable since the outcome is pretty much determined before the season even starts. There is something special about a team of mostly homegrown talent dealing with losing before they can get to that next level. Those 2015 Warriors were pretty awesome to watch too.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Hey man I’m all for it

Lakers fandom definitely has an "Are we the baddies?" energy
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Hey man I’m all for it

Mitchell and Webb forever.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Hey man I’m all for it

The Lakers are a mom and pop franchise run by a savvy, hard working business woman not some billionaire white dude with bottomless pockets.

Baddies? Please.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject:

We would have never gone to Klutch, had we not removed Jim. Once we moved onto Magic and Pelinka, we formed those connections with guys like Klutch. Pelinka was an agent and very good with knowing what to do in terms of getting those connections and gaining trust within that agent that they would collaborate.

And, we did not buy AD via trade cheap, it was at a premium.

We probably would have been in an even better position had Magic not been in charge to begin with, and someone like Rob been, as it seems Magic often shot himself in the foot with smaller scale moves (although he stepped up in the big ones).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Hey man I’m all for it

Spot on
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Huge credit to the Nuggets. When Bol Bol comes of age they're going to be dominant.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Thank god the broadcast crew spent 87% of the game talking about how "hobbled Murray is" to really show how much heart that Nuggets team had. At least now he can get plenty of rest for which im sure was debilitating level pain.

Back to the Finals though! Time for the Heat to close it out so the Lakers get some rest but not too much
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Good series. Thanks to the Nuggets for keeping it short and sweet. On to the next one.

Can I hate on the Chowderheads? Buck Foston!

Can I hate on Riles? Hell YEAH! F U Riles for 89!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Page 27 of 27
Jump to: