Equal Opportunity Hate... Good Job Kobe.. nice ROOKIE MOVE on defense...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Equal Opportunity Hate... Good Job Kobe.. nice ROOKIE MOVE on defense...

BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!
Arsenal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Were you under the impression Kobe played good D? His D reminds me of Allen Iverson.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject:

Kobe was shutting down superstars like Ray Allen and Vince Carter earlier in the year. I don't know what happened to his D. I don't blame him tho, he has to carry this team on his back on offense, so he gets tired on defense.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject:

Bad defense, bad call. You don't make that call in that situation. That stupid woman ref was horrible all game.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: HORRIBLE DEFENSE BY MR. BRYANT

I thought he was supposed to be a all defensive player. It was just hard to watch Paul pierce just walk by him. I'll officially say it kobe's defense is overhyped overrated. It was just horrible. I have saw vujacic try harder then Kobe last night on the defensive end. It would be a insult to the NBA if Kobe made the all defensive team

On the sidenote Good comeback from the Lakers. Just another third quarter :roll:
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:

Not Kobe's best defensive game, I'd agree there.

But George was on Pierce more than Kobe the first 3 quarters or so.

Just to be fair with what you're sayin'.
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject:

That was a judgement call by the refs that was suspect.. even the ESPN announcers were surprised that they made that call.

I don't think you want to call Kobe out for his defense because he was the only reason why Pierce didn't go for 50. Kobe's defense down the stretch denying Pierce the ball even stripping him down low was huge. Last night was one of those games where if you breathed on Pierce, you were called for a foul. That last call wasn't enough to make that call. I don't think you make those types of calls when the game is on the line. I've seen some serious muggings this year towards the end of games where there was no calls. This call was suspect IMHO.
junebug
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject:

I agree Kobe's defense is overrated. But I think he deserves all defensive team spot. There are little players playing good defense consistently. Even Artest doesn't do it.
kb8sunshine
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject:

i don't think is defense is overrated, but it has gone done over the past 2 years.
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject:

I don't think this game shows him being overated..

Maybe I'm just looking thru my purple colored glasses but nobody could stop Pierce tonight.. All defenders have nights when they get lit up.. didn't Kobe drop 36 with ease vs Artest?.

Last night Kobe took on the challenge and the only mistake he made was that foul at the end which IMO was a call that the refs decided to make but usually in tight games they don't make that call. Kobe's defense in the end denying Pierce the ball and stripping him down low was huge..

That being said, Kobe's overatedness comes when he has a bum to guard like Bowen and decides that he isn't worth guarding because he isn't what you would call a great scorer. We've all seen Kobe play defense on T-Mac and others.. when this guy puts his mind to it.. he's no doubt one of the games best defenders.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject:

yeah, i am sure artest is also overrated after our last meeting :roll:
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject:

I don't blame Kobe for Pierce's performance, DG was defending Pierce in multiple ocasions. the real problem is that our team sucks so bad on D that can't even rotate in pick and roll situations.
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject:

The problem is..............You cannot play "Lock-down" "D" for 40+ minutes a night.....you have to pick your spots,and you cannot expect anyone to play perfect steady no mistake "D" all the time either........be it Kobe,Artest or anyone....... Fouls can be a thorn in the A**.......
rpadma12
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject:

There are guys who take pride in their defense and want to slow down their guy no matter who it is.. Kobe is not that, no matter how competitive he may be. In that way, yes, Kobe's defense is overhyped.

That last call, though it shouldn't have been called (would Kobe have been put on the line if the situation was reversed? I'd bet NOT), Kobe shouldn't even be reaching.. He couldn't keep Pierce in front of him. Kobe is letting players blow past him easily and has been gambling a lot. His discipline on defense has regressed in the last couple years. People can talk about not having energy because of spending so much of it on offense.. but, nobody is asking him to shut down his man, just contest the shot and don't let him blow by you so easily because you are looking for steals.

If it's Phil's idea for Kobe to be playing "free safety" looking for steals, he better reevaluate that. Kobe is the only one on the team who has the ability to play top notch D. If he also succumbs to this gambling, reaching in defense, we are going to be screwed even worse on that end.

Last edited by rpadma12 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject:

rpadma12 wrote:
There are guys who take pride in their defense and want to slow down their guy no matter who it is.. Kobe is not that, no matter how competitive he may be. In that way, yes, Kobe's defense is overhyped.

That last call, though it shouldn't have been called (would Kobe have been put on the line if the situation was reversed? I'd bet NOT), Kobe shouldn't even be reaching.. He couldn't keep Pierce in front of him. Kobe is letting players blow past him easily and has been gambling a lot. His discipline on defense has regressed in the last couple years. People can talk about not having energy because of spending so much of it on offense.. but, nobody is asking him to shut down his man, just contest the shot and don't let him blow by you so easily because you are looking for steals.

If it's Phil idea for Kobe to be playing "free saftey" looking for steals, he better reevaluate that. Kobe is the only one on the team who has the ability to play top notch D. If he also succumbs to this gambling, reaching in defense, we are going to be screwed even worse on that end.

Amen to that yo
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:

So I'm guessing that defense that Kobe played on Lebron right before he wet on his mental lapse is all hype. He also shuts down Redd and did a great job on VC and Arenas this year. When Baron Davis had that great game doing it was Kobe in the last minutes that took on the challenge to lock him up to seal the win. Too bad that Kobe has to be the primary offense aswell as the one to lock up the other teams best perimeter player.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject:

Kobe's defense is superb. Did we forget the lockdown defense he put on Pierce once George went out? Ya, Kobe made a rookie mistake. But there wasn't much contact and they basically gave the Celtics the game. Kobe got fouled on his game winner more blantantly and there was *surprise* no call.

Also to expect one guy to shut down a player on his own is silly. This is the NBA. Help defense is required. The Lakers have slow rotation and piss poor recognition.
Warlord23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject:

Not the first time he has been burned by an opponent swingman, and likely won't be the last time
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject:

These days it's hard to guard anyone who has a competent first-step. No one else could've done a better job on Pierce; the guy can take it to the hole and pull-up-a difficult combination to deal with (ask Artest). The idea that Sasha was better on D is ridiculous. You're angry that Kobe was a culprit in this loss, but maybe you should redirect your anger at the missed freethrows by Smush and Odom in the 4th quarter.

^^ Farmar

eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:

kb8sunshine wrote:
i don't think is defense is overrated, but it has gone done over the past 2 years.

And what to you think has coincided with that? A total transformation of the team with inferior players. It's much harder to man-up if you have to leak to help on defense all the time. It's the same (bleep) that happened last year. Get better defenders at other positions and he'll be more consistent; it's as simple as that.

^^ Farmar

eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject:

Warlord23 wrote:
Not the first time he has been burned by an opponent swingman, and likely won't be the last time

:roll: The same could be said of any other player, genius.

^^ Farmar

karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject:

Flat out, Kobe is playing defense like Smush...gambling on steals and getting burned as a result...but once again, it shouldn't have come to that...if LO had shot even 50% of his freethrows, we would have won that game...I love LO, I love his game, I know he's had a hard time learning the offense, but that has nothing to do with hitting free throws down the stretch...smush needs to improve there as well. And they both need to stop with the weak minded head band thing...your headband is not the reason you are playing horrible, and removing it only shows your opponent how weak minded you are... :roll: . I was laughing when the guys on espn commented on that, saying: 'he took it off because he wasn't playing well, and of course it's the headband's fault...'
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:

eniq 0x00 wrote:
kb8sunshine wrote:

And what to you think has coincided with that? A total transformation of the team with inferior players. It's much harder to man-up if you have to leak to help on defense all the time. It's the same (bleep) that happened last year. Get better defenders at other positions and he'll be more consistent; it's as simple as that.
True, he can't play defense all by himself, but that last play was something smush would have done...he was gambling on defense all night, going for steals that he missed while his man blew by him to the basket for a dunk...pretty embarassing, really.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
eniq 0x00 wrote:
kb8sunshine wrote:

True, he can't play defense all by himself, but that last play was something smush would have done...he was gambling on defense all night, going for steals that he missed while his man blew by him to the basket for a dunk...pretty embarassing, really.

There are no good defenders on bad teams, friends. To be a good defender you have to have help. People expect Kobe to hold his opponent to zero points every night. LG'ers made me laugh recently when they suggested Kobe man up and shut down Blake from portland instead of playing help defense.

Yes he has bad nights and he isnt first team all D this year like in years past, but it probably has something to do with the fact that he is playing ball with the Yakama Sun Kings. Give him a guy like Artest to play with in the backcourt and he will be playing defense like Dennis Rodman. believe that.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:

It sucked how it ended on a stupid foul like that, but to tell you the truth the Lakers are better off losing games like this.

They can not win games where their defensive effort is that bad. If they win those sort of games they learn nothing.

I want to see a new defensive approach on Tuesday.

I am calling for Phil to totally scrap the Tri practice until next training camp and work solely on defensive execution. If they just play good sound team defense they will make the playoffs IMO. All the games that they have lost in recent weeks has been due to defensive collapses in the 3rd qtr (Atlanta, Clippers, Celtics)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: