I really hope I am wrong but this Heat team gives me a 2004 Pistons vibe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow323 wrote:
Seriously, some of you need to apologize.

Comparing Herro, Dragic, Bam, and Robinson to legends like Rip, Chauncey, Sheed, Prince, and Wallace.

2004 Pistons???? If this keeps up I should apologize for comparing them to the 2009 Magic - a 59-23 team with the #1 ranked defense and 4th best player in the world at the time with Hedo as the go-to and shooters everywhere. I said they were not as good as 2009 Orlando but they look significantly worse than 2009 Orlando
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the Heat are like the 2004 Lakers? Key player injured right as game starts...
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Maybe the Heat are like the 2004 Lakers? Key player injured right as game starts...

Not even remotely close. Kobe & Shaq alone would feast on this team with extreme ease even if they hated each others guts
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:
Seriously, some of you need to apologize.

Comparing Herro, Dragic, Bam, and Robinson to legends like Rip, Chauncey, Sheed, Prince, and Wallace.

2004 Pistons???? If this keeps up I should apologize for comparing them to the 2009 Magic - a 59-23 team with the #1 ranked defense and 4th best player in the world at the time with Hedo as the go-to and shooters everywhere. I said they were not as good as 2009 Orlando but they look significantly worse than 2009 Orlando

BTW that 2009 Orlando team was no joke. Rashard Lewis and Hedo presented 2 stretch 4 types (at 6'10) combining with Dwight in the middle. A uniquely designed size wise team I'm not sure we've really seen before, or even after, them. When you have 1 6'10 guy banging in the middle, and 2 6'10 guys hanging around the 3 point line, there's only so many teams that have the size and/or length to throw at all that to bother not only Dwight, but the 3 point shooters.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
governator wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
governator wrote:
THIS LAKERS TEAM IS GIVING ME A THREE-PEAT VIBE

But but the clippers are back next season and are heavy favorites

We still have the best 1 - 2 punch in the league, great defensive team and we can still improve in the off season

We still have to get past Miami. I know it’s been a long time, but there’s no need to become front runners just yet. Brooklyn will be good, Golden State will be back, The Clippers should be there, there could be a dark horse dynasty brewing somewhere. We really don’t know

THIS LAKERS TEAM IS GIVING ME A THREE-PEAT VIBE!!! WE ALSO WILL IMPROVE THIS OFF SEASON!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject:

A lot of revisionist history going on - at the time of that series. Detroit's now perceived "legends" were seen as nothing more than what Miami's current dudes are. The Pistons guys became those names in large part after that series. Only Sheed was seen as the talent he was, everyone else IIRC had not been a perennial all-star until that point.

I do see some of the comparisons, but as I said previously, the biggest difference to me is that they don't have Ben Wallace inside defensively or to be able to dominate the glass and activity rate, but even if you say they have Bam, they don't have that combo of Wallaces. where it is Ben and Sheed together. Having that length of Ben, Sheed, Tay Prince, that was something special on D, and have Kobe a lot of problems and they also gave us a lot of problems getting the ball into Shaq. They Heat can play great D,but not all time great D, like the Pistons were able to. Heat often have to change up from man, to cover their weaknesses. Pistons 2004 D was all time good. Their offense to this day does not impress me (Pistons that is). We should have beaten that team, had we been in sync and cohesive like this 2019-20 Lakers squad is.

On the flip, this Lakers team may be one of the all time great D teams with our set up and versatility on that end. No other team in league history has had the type of size and versatility this group has. And it can show, with how when they figure you out on D and get the right match ups, that you're just (bleep).

Would not get cocky, and hope the Lakers aren't. The Heat will come out to play for their playoff lives tomorrow, and the Lakers need to be ready to match that energy. Bam usually follows a bad game with a monster game.

For sure I understand that Miami is not as talented as Denver with Murray-Jokic. But they have a lot of weapons, and game 1 was not their best effort. Like I said after the trophy ceremonies, Miami looked all too happy just being an EC champion. For us it's title or bust. We need to jump on Miami in game 2. They have never been down in a playoff series these playoffs until now. Jimmy won't quit until the last possession, but the rest of their guys, will start to have doubts. You could see it even mid-way in the 2nd Q.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject:

Man the pistons looked like ass
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
A lot of revisionist history going on - at the time of that series. Detroit's now perceived "legends" were seen as nothing more than what Miami's current dudes are. The Pistons guys became those names in large part after that series. Only Sheed was seen as the talent he was, everyone else IIRC had not been a perennial all-star until that point.

I do see some of the comparisons, but as I said previously, the biggest difference to me is that they don't have Ben Wallace inside defensively or to be able to dominate the glass. They play great D,but not all time great D, like the Pistons were able to. On the flip, we may be one of the all time great D teams with our set up and versatility on that end.

Would not get cocky, and hope the Lakers aren't. The Heat will come out to play for their playoff lives tomorrow, and the Lakers need to be ready to match that energy. Bam usually follows a bad game with a monster game.

For sure I understand that Miami is not as talented as Denver with Murray-Jokic. But they have a lot of weapons, and game 1 was not their best effort. Like I said after the trophy ceremonies, Miami looked all too happy just being an EC champion. For us it's title or bust.

Weren't they one of the best defensive teams of all time? is this Heat?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I do see some of the comparisons, but as I said previously, the biggest difference to me is that they don't have Ben Wallace inside defensively or to be able to dominate the glass. They play great D,but not all time great D, like the Pistons were able to. On the flip, we may be one of the all time great D teams with our set up and versatility on that end.

For sure I understand that Miami is not as talented as Denver with Murray-Jokic. But they have a lot of weapons, and game 1 was not their best effort. Like I said after the trophy ceremonies, Miami looked all too happy just being an EC champion. For us it's title or bust.

Weren't they one of the best defensive teams of all time
? is this Heat?

Yep that is what I am saying. The difference is not the comparisons on offense, as to me that Pistons team was not all time on O. It is the D. Having Ben, Sheed, Prince - that length and D really bothered Kobe. He was not able to shoot over Tay easily, and when he drove, he was met by Sheed and Ben. It was something very special in terms of D that the Pistons had, and Chauncey was a very good on the ball defender.

The comparisons on O, I really see between the two teams. Similar 4 equal option threats on the floor. No real go to guy, a share of wealth and ball. Very very good teamwork on both ends.

But the defensive talent of having Ben, Sheed, Tay and Chauncey vs having Bam, Crowder, Jimmy and Dragic is very significant.

FWIW if this Lakers team played that Pistons team, I think this Lakers team would be able to beat them, if they played their A game, which mostly they have been in the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject:

Miami is a middle of the pack East team. That's what they look like. Man, the East must have been really pitiful for this team to make the Finals. Giannis should feel embarrassed.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

more like the '89 Lakers: Frigging Riley being the common denominator..
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Miami is a middle of the pack East team. That's what they look like. Man, the East must have been really pitiful for this team to make the Finals. Giannis should feel embarrassed.

Playoffs are all about matchups and adjustments. The Heat are a matchup problem for the Bucks. They beat the Bucks two out of three in the regular season. There was an article in The Athletic that explained the matchup issue better than I can. So if the matchup is bad for the Bucks, and it comes down to adjustments, then it is Spo vs. Bud. And that is exactly the way it played out.
RJ 21
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

This.

Bam had himself a heck of a series against Boston, but guess what? Theis ain't AD.

Jimmy's offensive output is easily neutralized (often exceeded) by LeBron, and then on top of that you add Bron's rebounding and assists...

This is a nightmare matchup for the Heat, and game 1 showed that. They're lucky we didn't win by 40.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

That is true. Even after the series, the Pistons were not widely regarded as an all-time great defensive team. In fact, the series was regarded as a fluke/choke job by the Lakers/masterclass by Larry Brown. It was the next couple years that cemented the Pistons' reputation.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

more like the '89 Lakers: Frigging Riley being the common denominator..

No way....89 Lakers arguably were the strongest version of the Lakers. Dude they lost Earvin Johnson in the middle of Game 2 and was without Byron Scott who was a borderline all star and at his peak for the entire series and STILL, the Lakers were in all the games. At the time, Magic and Byron were recognized as the best guard tandem in the league ahead of even Isiah and Joe. These Heat are nothing compared to those Lakers
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject:

Even if these Heat WERE the 2004 Pistons, which they will never sniff the Pistons level, we would STILL beat them at our current level. Like I said, these Lakers are playing at a level I have not seen since the 2001 playoff Lakers (the demolition of the best record in the NBA Spurs by the average amount and in a clean sweep despite the lack of Derek Anderson was something else....as if f'ing Derek Anderson would have really changed that series). This team was better than any Kobe-Pau Lakers teams and would have beaten the '09 Lakers and definitely the '10 Lakers
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject:

People really have no understanding of how talented the 2004 Pistons were.

Chauncey, Rip, B. Wallace were all-star level players. Rasheed was a handful too and Prince was a lock down wing defender.

Miami has some names like Jimmy and Bam, but nowhere near the overall talent. Plus, that Pistons team was big and physical too with the Wallace frontline unlike this Heat team.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Chauncey, Rip, B. Wallace were all-star level players. Rasheed was a handful too and Prince was a lock down wing defender.

Miami has some names like Jimmy and Bam, but nowhere near the overall talent. Plus, that Pistons team was big and physical too with the Wallace frontline unlike this Heat team.

They had an All Defense level player at every position. It’s true people didn’t know how good they were in the moment, but this Heat team is not in their class defensively. We scored 68 points in Game 3 of that series with Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal on the floor.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject:

I never got this comparison.

That pistons team was a quarter away from back-to-back titles and were still very good for a few years faster that. People acting like they were a fluke is mind boggling.

They had a hall of fame coach and fierce defense. One other thing, this Laker team is better than the '04 team that had junk depth and no chemistry. Plus an ailing Malone.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

There is an enormous gap between the Lakers and any other team in the league right now. Miami would have been competitive against any other west team. The Lakers made the west playoffs look like a joke too.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

This heat team is giving me clipper vibes

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

They had an All Defense level player at every position. It’s true people didn’t know how good they were in the moment, but this Heat team is not in their class defensively. We scored 68 points in Game 3 of that series with Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal on the floor.

Yup. They were true defensive juggernauts with size. Sheed is 6'11. Ben is 6'9 but was able to single cover Shaq. Prince has a 344 foot wingspan and both Chauncey/Rip were very good defenders with size too (Chauncey 6'3/6'4, Rip, 6'6).
KobeGOATMambaRIP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
I never got this comparison.

That pistons team was a quarter away from back-to-back titles and were still very good for a few years faster that. People acting like they were a fluke is mind boggling.

They had a hall of fame coach and fierce defense. One other thing, this Laker team is better than the '04 team that had junk depth and no chemistry. Plus an ailing Malone.

I don't think any one is downplaying the greatness of that team. However, the narrative at that time heading into the final as always was Pistons were David and Lakers were Goliath. They're doing the same now and OP was feeling the same vibes as Miami looked good defensively last round
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
This heat team is giving me clipper vibes

Only if they blow a 3-1 lead
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Who are their Chauncey, Tayshaun, Big Ben, and Rasheed?

Exactly... the Heat like Houston and Boston are just too small.. small ball tactics died a cruel death with a DAntoni firing

The only Vibe I’m getting is a Nets NBA final vibe.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: