I really hope I am wrong but this Heat team gives me a 2004 Pistons vibe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: I really hope I am wrong but this Heat team gives me a 2004 Pistons vibe

activeverb wrote:
Da Beast!!! wrote:
I remember the Lakers being the clear favorite that year too. Even Shaq said that he thought he Lakers wanted the Heat. Hopefully the Lakers stay focused.

The Heat aren't the defensive juggernaut the Pistons were, and we're not going into the series hobbled by injuries as the Lakers were in 2004.

The only similarity I see between the Heat and the Pistons is they are more of an ensemble cast rather than a team dominated by a superstar.

I don't see any similarities between the 2020 Lakers and the 2004 Lakers.

Some people are still suffering from PTSD caused by the 2004 Finals.

Playoffs are about matchups and adjustments. The Pistons matched up well against us, and we didn't/couldn't adjust effectively. I don't think that the Heat match up well against us. They'll be relying on hot three point shooting.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
People thinking the Heat are overmatched are in for a rude awakening. The only thing that I think favors us, is I think we are not happy to be there. The Heat look a bit happy just to be there. We are extremely focused. I think we have a little more experience and edge.

Naw. We have the best two players in the series, though Jimmy Butler is a close third. We have a significant size advantage if we can exploit it. We have a lot more experience, not just a little. I don't disrespect the Heat, but they are going to need to catch some breaks to make this a competitive series.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
People thinking the Heat are overmatched are in for a rude awakening. The only thing that I think favors us, is I think we are not happy to be there. The Heat look a bit happy just to be there. We are extremely focused. I think we have a little more experience and edge.

Naw. We have the best two players in the series, though Jimmy Butler is a close third. We have a significant size advantage if we can exploit it. We have a lot more experience, not just a little. I don't disrespect the Heat, but they are going to need to catch some breaks to make this a competitive series.

To be fair, Jimmy has relied greatly on the role players to kind of save his bacon against Boston. Not to downplay his potential greatness, but he did not excel against a defensively challenged Celtics team.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

Taking a look at the postseason statistics, you may surprisingly find Heats are pretty close to Lakers in several categories, including ranking and actual numbers.

For example, points, rebounds, assists, points allowed, rebounds alllowed except assists allowed.

Lakers may be a bit better. However, Heats are a better team than Lakers’ other opponents including Nuggets so far. Lakers have to be cautious and fight hard for every game and every play.

Lakers and opponents in the playoffs
Lakers
Heats
Nuggets
Rockets
Blazers

[b]Points
3/113.9
5/112.2[/b]
10/107.4
9/107.7
12/106.6

FG%
1/49.8
7/45.9
5/47.1
11/43.6
13/42.6

3P%
12/35.5
11/35.7
3/37.9
8/36.2
2/37.9

[b]Rebounds
8/43.7
11/42.9[/b]
14/40.6
15/38.8
12/42.8

[b]AST
1/25.9
3/25.1[/b]
8/22.5
12/21.3
15/17.8

[b]Points allowed
3/106.5
5/107.2[/b]
6/109.7
4/106.9
14/117.2

FG% allowed
5/45.0
7/45.2
12/47.7
8/46.2
14/48.4

3P% allowed
9/36.2
4/34.5
10/37.3
5/34.7
3/34.3

[b]Rebounds allowed
1/37.2
4/41.8[/b]
2/40.5
13/48.0
14/48.4

[b]AST allowed
2/20.7
10/23.3[/b]
9/22.5
3/21.1
14/26.0
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: I really hope I am wrong but this Heat team gives me a 2004 Pistons vibe

You mean you think that the League is going to put its thumb on the scales in favor of Miami like it did for the Pistons?

2004 NBA finals: most obvious case of sports-rigging I have ever seen ...
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: I really hope I am wrong but this Heat team gives me a 2004 Pistons vibe

Darkndeep wrote:
You mean you think that the League is going to put its thumb on the scales in favor of Miami like it did for the Pistons?

2004 NBA finals: most obvious case of sports-rigging I have ever seen ...

2 reasons I can think of:
1. Discourage what Malone and Payton did for us: Major paycuts to win a chip
2. Eagle Rock

2008 NBA Finals Game 2 was the single most rigged job against the Lakers I have ever seen....and we still almost won at the end.

People like to bring up Game 6 2002 - that WAS a rig job....so WAS Game 5 2002 but of course no one wants to point that out even though we were very close to winning that game as well
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject:

Also a lot of people actually picking the heat this year no one thought pistons had a chance.... lakers are actually being under rated going into this series imo
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Also a lot of people actually picking the heat this year no one thought pistons had a chance.... lakers are actually being under rated going into this series imo

It's easy to forget the aura of that '04 team. We were starting four Hall of Famers, plus the West vs. East disparity had been significant for a few years (and would remain significant for over a decade longer). That series looked like Bambi vs. Godzilla.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
WTF? That Pistons team had some ballers and is considered one of the best defensive teams of all time. Rasheed and Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Chauncey ... ummm this comparison to Heat is an insult to those Pistons. Those Pistons would have swept this Heat team. lol. Come on now.

And Lakers would still have won if Kobe and Shaq werent at each other’s throats and Malone hadn’t torn out his knee mid series.

I remember that series painfully. Malone was one of the main reasons the Lakers even got to the Finals and when he went down it was a big blow.

It was huge...he actually was playing on a torn ACL that wasn't diagnosed properly. He played a little of game 1 and that was it...then Fricken Slava replaced him.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:

It's easy to forget the aura of that '04 team. We were starting four Hall of Famers, plus the West vs. East disparity had been significant for a few years (and would remain significant for over a decade longer). That series looked like Bambi vs. Godzilla.

That's the reason the East got help in '04 and the Wade special in '06 - To give 60% of the US a reason to watch the NBA.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

538 has the Heat as the favorites.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

That about just raps it all up. We've beat teams with great shot makers and creators...Dame, McCollum, Harden, Westbrook, Gordon, Murray, Jokic. I don't think Butler, Bam are near their level as far as offensive explosion...and the Heat reserves are vey good at their roles but if you stay home with everyone we should be fine with our length. There is no one on the Heat that requires a double or taking the ball out of their hands.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

That about just raps it all up. We've beat teams with great shot makers and creators...Dame, McCollum, Harden, Westbrook, Gordon, Murray, Jokic. I don't think Butler, Bam are near their level as far as offensive explosion...and the Heat reserves are vey good at their roles but if you stay home with everyone we should be fine with our length. There is no one on the Heat that requires a double or taking the ball out of their hands.

Once Bron locks in on Jimmy and Dwight on Bam, I want to see what either does against the Laker veterans.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject:

The Heat could end up being like the 2002 Nets ( Cinderalla year but swept in the Finals ) or like the teams who put up a good fight in the finals but just can’t get it done, I’m not saying the Heat have no chance because there team deserves to be respected but the Lakers are the superior team.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:

Yea, it's fine to have the Detroit feel for the Heat. Although I disagree.
But these Lakers are not the Lakers of 04 either.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

The Heat match up well with the Lakers.

Bam vs AD
Lebron Vs Butler

They have defenders to throw at Lebron (Crowder and Iggy) to slow him down.

They have real good three point shooters (Herro, Robinson, Dragic) to shoot over the Lakers height advantage.

They are not as deep as the Lakers and offensively are not good in 4th quarters. They lost 10 games while leading by 10 points this season (leads the league). Herro, Jones and Iggy are the main guys off the bench. Sometimes Olynyk and Nunn. Not a lot of height or shot creators.

IMO this series is going to come down to the other guys. Can KCP, Green, Kuzma, Howard and Caruso outplay Herro, Crowder, Robinson, Iggy and Olynyk?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject:

BunnyHop wrote:
That Piston series was so unevenly called. Because the Pistons had a "defensive" rep the refs let them get away with murder on one side and then call the Lakers on ticky tak. With the uneven calls, the Laker D was put to bed.

BTW the next year, the cheating ref scandal erupted.

4 opening jumpball vios against Shaq and a 12 fta average!!1 for DET. If any team gets a 12 fta average on us, we're gonna lose. Any team would lose, pretty much. The deficit was 44-111 at one point and I said fuggit. We also had the LA era all time low score of 68 in one of those games. We have never scored less than 70 in any other game. Malone re-injured a major injury. Kobe and Shaq hated each other's essences. Turrible season. This group are the 7 Dwarves whistling while they work compared to that dysfunction junction.

I ain't sayin the Lakers will have it easy against this team, but they should not lose to them. Heat are younger and have less than what we have at the top. We shouldn't lose to them, but that don't mean we are guaranteed to win. Hustle, smartness, patience, and shooting prowess are key.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
The Pistons won mostly because Shaq and Kobe were both on their own planet, Kobe shot badly, we had no chemistry and no one else on the team did anything to help.

This.

Biggest thing I remember was how bad Kobe was during the series. Take Game 2 away, and Kobe just shot horribly but it didn’t stop him from forcing up bricks after bricks.

Lakers basically shot themselves on the foot, that’s how they lost.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject:

I really hope you're wrong.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
slavavov wrote:
The Pistons won mostly because Shaq and Kobe were both on their own planet, Kobe shot badly, we had no chemistry and no one else on the team did anything to help.

This.

Biggest thing I remember was how bad Kobe was during the series. Take Game 2 away, and Kobe just shot horribly but it didn’t stop him from forcing up bricks after bricks.

Lakers basically shot themselves on the foot, that’s how they lost.

I’m sure that there was a lot of soap opera behind the scenes, too. I was pissed at Kobe at the time, but as the years have gone by I’ve re-evaluated. It was a toxic environment. Putting the blame on any one person is unfair. I found myself thinking about that series as the Clips imploded a couple weeks ago. You could just tell that it was coming apart. That was us in the 2004 Finals.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Difference is we have hungry role players. And our D is ridiculous when we lock in
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject:

We play defense
At worst it goes 7
Smoothness101
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject:

We arent putting out Slava Medvednko against Sheed so I feel good.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
We play defense
At worst it goes 7

???? At worst it goes 5 ... 😂
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject:

The Pistons played a very effective zone against the Lakers that turned individuals who weren't noted for defensive, into parts of a great defense. The Heat's zone will require the Lakers sticking to a strategic approach that includes consistently getting the ball to the middle of the floor early to exploit it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: