LAKERS -vs- HEAT - 9/30 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- HEAT - 9/30 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Nothing Gentlemanly About This One... Once the Lakers got rolling, the Heat weren’t stopping them.

Things looked good for Miami early. They got off to a great start, led by 13 points early in the first quarter and were feeling good. By the end of the quarter, the Lakers would regain the lead, never look back and leave a trail of bodies behind them.

The Lakers started slow with Howard at the C spot as the Heat targeted him. Once he sat, the Lakers got on track. They’d outscore the Heat 81-42 by the time the fourth quarter started. Sheer dominance.

The sleeper stat in this series is the Lakers three shooting. It’s just about identical to the Heat at 35%. The Lakers typically make 11 a game, the Heat hit 13.

Tonight, the Lakers had 11 in the first half on 17 attempts. When they shoot like that, you’re in trouble because the Lakers defend, get second chances, score at the rim...all of that just piles on. Tonight, that meant a 32-point lead by the third quarter.

“Our guys are just hustling their tails off, flying around on the defensive end and playing effort offense, as well,” Vogel said. “Really using the tempo on the break, attacking the paint, crashing the boards. Just the pace of the game really picked up in those two quarters.”

The Lakers cruised in the fourth quarter to the 116-98 win. It wasn’t that close. They took their foot off the gas.

The loss was magnified for the Heat as they took a series of injuries: Dragic didn’t return in the second half with a plantar tear injury, Bam later joined him in the locker room with a shoulder injury after running into Dwight, and Butler played with an ankle he twisted twice. If it could go wrong for Miami, it did.

The Lakers take the first win and will focus on improving. The way they closed the game certainly left a bad taste in their mouths.

“I’m looking forward to getting into the film sessions tomorrow as a team and see ways we can improve,” LeBron said. He sounded like he was all business.

LeBron -- -- He’s a handful in the post. He’d draw attention and find cutters. Or he’d face up, use that quick first step and get to the rim. Throw in a couple bully possessions and the Heat are going to be looking for answers here. Just 2-6 shooting in the first half but 7 assists. He’d go into scoring mode in the second half. At times, he’d match up hunt as we’d bring over poor defenders, get a switch and let him go to work. Occasionally, we’d throw in a slip screen or ghost screen to keep the D guessing. “I don’t think at the beginning we were physical enough,” LeBron said, mentioning Miami smacked them in the mouth to start the game. It very much felt like we were feeling them out, throwing jabs and not quite engaged on either end. Once they locked in on both ends, the Heat were LeBron’s to pick apart (guys like Robinson and Herro are in trouble). Defensively, I thought he had a number of miscues. Just not fully rotating or giving up a little on a defensive stand. The Heat keep churning, so LeBron needs to stay focused and play the possession out. “We got so much more work to do. The job is not done,” LeBron said, game face on afterward. Got that Mamba mentality. At the tail end of the national anthem, they flashed on LeBron with the finger sleeve and the No. 24 on it. Let’s get a Mamba ring for that finger. The Stats: He scored 25 points on 9-17 shooting (2-4 from three, 5-6 from the line) to go with 13 boards, 9 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 36 minutes. He was a +10.

Davis -- -- “We want to win a championship, we got to be better,” Davis said afterward. He was a beast all game. He had 18 points on 7-11 shooting in the first half, sinking 2-2 from three. “That opens up the lane for me,” AD said of that perimeter shooting. He had a moment or two attacking off the dribble. But mix in his length offensively around the rim, mix in that midrange game, as well. The Heat will try to run Crowder against him, Bam, probably now Olynyk and it’s going to be a tough night for all of them. He dominated Crowder on the offensive glass on one sequence in the third quarter. If we miss shots and have that kind of rebounding, the team doesn’t have to be lights out shooting every night. You can break down the game all you want, but he’s just too big, too athletic. And, really, his contribution on D is just a massive problem for the Heat. They haven’t faced anything like him. He’s too long, too mobile and can guard all five positions. When we’re switching everything, this bogs down their offense. They want the handoffs, the high screens, we can take a lot of that away if they bring the big over. That ankle turn by Butler at the end of the half, AD switched on him, smothered him and Butler buckled on the drive. But just look at the pressure AD applied there and Butler had no good passes to make. He had Dragic coming at him downhill on a two-on-one and he blocked Dragic and protected from the lob. That’s a problem for the Heat. They will want to avoid those scenarios as AD is just too good. They will probably try more Olynyk to see if that pulls us out, but I doubt it will. Good job by others setting up AD in this one. Kuz, AC and Dwight both got in on the action finding him for dunks. The Heat barely went into zone tonight. They don’t want to with AD’s midrange, ability to attack at the FT line and our length on offensive boards. His game was the third best Laker Finals scoring performance in a debut, tying him with Elgin. The Stats: He scored 34 points on 11-21 shooting (2-4 from three, 10-10 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 5 assists, 3 blocks, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 38 minutes. He was a +23.

Green -- -- He had 8 points in the first half, hitting a couple of threes. He’d knock down one more later to finish 3-8. That’s the Finals shooting we need. The 15 threes the Lakers hit was the most made by the team in the Finals. It’s a different game. Green contributed well there. Throw in a floater he hit attacking Bam off the dribble (probably fortunate to score in that situation, but he did it). He also had a nice baseline drive and kick to AD for three. That was his offense. I don’t think he hit a corner three despite having a number of them. Defensively, I like seeing him trail certain players over the top of the screen. He puts a lot of pressure on them with that length (3 blocks from Green tonight, including one of those trailing blocks on Dragic as he recovered to a midrange jumper...just perfectly executed D there with our drop coverage). That’s one of those subtle things that quietly causes problems for opponents. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 4-9 shooting (3-8 from three) to go with 4 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals, 3 blocks, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 30 minutes. He was a +21.

Howard -- -- He was a -13 in his 6 first half minutes. Vogel called a timeout midway through that first quarter, sat him and went to AD at center and the Lakers got on track. The Heat targeted him off the ball screens and we weren’t sharp on our coverages. Up 17 at the half, Vogel went back to Howard to start the second half. He could have easily sat him, but he must have felt confident that the Lakers were just a little cold early on when Dwight was out there the first time. The Heat went after him to start that half immediately attacking for an And-1. They did it again later off a timeout. But Dwight’s D improved. He’d go +11 in that second stint. He was challenging shots and throwing the body around. Bam felt it. He ran into Dwight in the paint trying to score and went flying. Later, he hurt himself again and was in the locker room as the Lakers lead ballooned. Dwight is a beast. I imagine the Heat change things up in the next one to avoid those two matching up. Some nice passing in this game. He blocked a jumper on one end, then dished to AD for a dunk on the other. He hit AD for another dunk in transition, avoiding a charge in the process. Great job on those. Some nice passing as a team. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 2-2 shooting from the line to go with 8 boards, 2 assists, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 15 minutes. He was a -2.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- “KCP saved us,” AD said after that game. That might be overstating it. AD was talking about back-to-back threes Kenny hit in the first quarter when we were down. He’d also pick up some FTs on a pump fake. But that started the ball rolling for the Lakers and they did not look back. He had 10 points in the first half. He’d get fouled on a three for his only points of the second half. Loved the trackdown block he had in transition. The Lakers took their foot off the gas and needed a few more guys hustling like that to close this one out a little cleaner. Some really good moments defending the high handoffs. That’s a key part of the Heat offense and he’s chasing Robison well. He looked like he might have tweaked his back a little or something on a flyby at the end of that first quarter. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 3-10 shooting (2-6 from three, 5-5 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 2 steals, 1 block, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 30 minutes. He was a +2.

Kuzma -- -- Good first half by Kuz. He had some nice passing sequences, kicking to KCP for a three on one and ballfaking, attacking and hitting AD for a dunk on another. Those were his only assists, but good team ball. Good lift by Kuz off the bench in that first quarter. The team needed it. Defensively, he forced Butler into a brick at the rim using his length. He also had another nice switch and closeout to force a miss on a shot. I’m curious to see if his length comes back into play in this series. If he can challenge Butler or the Heat shooters with that length, that makes the Lakers D much tougher. I imagine late in a close game, Butler might be seeking out a switch to get a smaller man, but if we have some length out there with Kuz that’s going to be tougher to find. Good job on the boards. He came crashing in on the defensive glass on one that showed me he was locked in a bit on controlling the glass. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-7 shooting (1-4 from three) to go with 8 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a +11.

Caruso -- -- Double digits for AC in his Finals debut. His quickness on cuts, rolls to the hoop and bounce to finish strong cause problems. He’s really finding his spots off ball in the past couple of games. You can tell LeBron trusts him and is looking for him. The Heat made a mistake to double off the cut and LeBron whipped it to AC for an easy one in that second half. Caruso sank one three on a swing pass. I think they may try to cheat off him a bit more as the series goes along as they will likely need to defend our superstars with more help. He’ll need to knock these down with consistency, but that off-ball movement of his causes problems. Defensively, he had a steal swiping a return pass defending the two-man game. He did give up a couple straight line drives. One to Dragic, which is kind of his strength and then another to Herro in transition. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 4-6 shooting (1-3 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a +12.

Rondo -- -- He hit a couple shots early, a tough one-footed elbow jumper out of a timeout when our play busted. He’d then also swish a three in early offense and draw some FTs. Great job by the bench/Rondo giving the team some spark early. Some props, too, for coming in that fourth quarter and setting up LeBron for a dunk and AD for some FTs. The Lakers were kind of sleepwalking and he helped them manufacture some points to make sure nothing silly happened. Good focus. LeBron did snap at him on a switch that didn’t happen. I worry a little about his ball stopping allowing the D to catch up. He’s been pretty good about that in the post season, but that could be a problem against the Heat. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 2-7 shooting (1-5 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 4 assists, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 25 minutes. He was a +11.

Morris -- -- He gives us that legit 5-out three-ball threat. He sank a couple tonight. One on a kickout, another on a swing pass. He’d also get a layup on the break. We ran more of that micro ball at times. I thought maybe we’d see some McGee in those situations, but not in this first one. Some good moments switching to challenge shooters out on the perimeter. The Heat hoist up shots quick, so he needs to stay connected around those screens with certain players. The more important D is those two-man situations with Bam. He had some moments playing that drop coverage, not letting Bam get behind him while also slowing down that ball handler a bit to shut down that action. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-6 shooting (2-3 from three) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 18 minutes. He was a -1.

Cook -- -- In for garbage time and he knocked down a deep three. Not easy to sit all game and then just drill a three off the bench, but that’s what he does. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-1 shooting in 1 minute. He was a +1.

Smith -- -- In for garbage time, didn’t get off a shot. The Stats: He had 1 foul in 1 minute and was a +1.

Dudley -- -- In for garbage time and managed to block a shot. Not a lot of playoff action for Dudley after a good run in the previous season, but he’s one of those player-coaches and locker room leaders that you always see in guys ears. He and AC were talking a ton after the previous game. The Stats: He had 1 block in 1 minute and was a +1.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: The timeout midway through the first quarter. See next. (Once the Lakers shifted gears, this game was over.)

Key Substitution: The Lakers were down 13 and he sat LeBron and Dwight. He got the smaller lineup out there and the team speed picked up on both ends. The Laker bench changed everything for the team. They didn’t outscore the Heat bench, they just allowed us to run like a sports car.

Key Stat: Three shooting was good at 39.5% making 15-38. At one point the Lakers were 13-19. So they went 2-19 after that. Some of that was settling and not getting the ball moving as the game went along. But they certainly took the Heat’s spirit with that hot shooting start. How about that FT shooting, too? They went 25-27 from the freethrow line. That’s what the Heat will be looking at in the next one. Can they defend the three line better and not foul as much? Probably. But those injuries in this one could be a real problem.

Coach’s Challenge: The Lakers used it in the second quarter as Butler scored an And-1 over Green who went vertical. Lakers stalled by walking across lane and gave L.A. time to review. They got a delay of game, but it gave Vogel time to make a decision and he challenged. It shouldn’t have been a foul on Green as he went vertical and Butler threw out an elbow. Green got popped in the face on that finish, though, so that would erase the bucket if they thought it was an offensive foul. Coach’s Challenge was successful for a no-call, not the offensive foul. So Lakers save a foul and one point, but not the bucket and foul on Butler. Vogel was ticked...and it seemed like a bad review. Javie disagreed with the review result.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

Hey, I'm first!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Feels good friends
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

One down and three more to go!

Then we can start thinking about #18 for next year!
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject:

thanks DB!

loved the killer instinct from the team - after going down 13 early in the 1st quarter, they came roaring back and took the lead before the quarter's end... and then kept going. i kept expecting lulls where the Heat would hit a few threes and get right back in the game, but man the squad was focused throughout the 2nd and 3rd quarters (before understandably letting their foot off the gas in the 4th).
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Great win, LeBron and AD dominated and I loved the intensity of the team. 3 more wins.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB

One down, three to go!
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Great statement win today.

I expect Jimmy to will his team to a better performance next game but I expect our boys to respond kindly again
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Excellent write-up on a great game.

3 more Lakers!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

I've said it elsewhere, but the 3 shooting to me will be what wins things for the Lakers. Doesnt have to be crazy good - just shoot their average and they win. I'm pretty sure all their playoff losses were when their 3 % was fairly abysmal (e.g. 20%ish or lower).

I know it's really just one game, and while I was of the mindset AD would not be stopped by Bam...I mean, he was just a monster tonight. They could not stop him as he attacked from all levels.

I feel pretty good after this not because of the margin of victory, but I did not get a let-up vibe. LBJ was in serious locked-in mode in post game. I also liked the fact he was on his guys for missed rotations while the Heat made a run. I also think Butler's comments post-game were a bit insightful...was he suggesting the Heat had to play perfect to beat the Lakers? That's an awful lot of pressure to place on your squad.

My biggest gripe was when they let the foot off the gas...eesh, they can look fairly off. Their offense just went total lazy 3 point chucker mode and it was excruciating.

Talking heads think Spo will go pretty much full time zone next game and are curious how the Lakers respond. I think they are up for the challenge.

And a shout out to our scrappers - AC, KCP, DG, Rondo, Dwight, and yes Kieff is slowly entering that zone too. They dont get too much respect from the Media, and they showed up big tonight. Again, just one game, but once the Laker engine revved up they just looked like they want it more.

Let's get the next game and really put the clamps on this team - I expect the Heat to come out with the same aggression but keep it going much longer. But good D, execute on offense, and decent 3 shooting we will be fine.
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject:

Why isn't THT suiting up? Is he injured? Last night's garbage time would have given him more experience playing with some of the regulars. If one or two of our guards get hurt THT might be the next best fit to fill in.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!

3 MORE WINS
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject:

We came into the game looking tight. Lebron was stalling a bit and maybe too passive. We go down 13, and I am thinking, maybe we need this game to figure out what to do.

Then once Rondo and the bench come in, with AD going to the 5. It just changed everything Miami was succeeding in previously.

Bring Bron back in, with momentum. We just kept it up. The Heat were clearly trying to employ doubles on Bron and AD, but we picked them apart. Defensively once we moved AD to the 5, the Heat were having issues galore, as they had no speed advantage.

Can not say enough about what Rondo can do for this team, as a point guard. Once Lebron sat, with a -13, Rondo was the team's PG. That is when the Lakers actually began to pick apart the Heat D. At one point in the first half, Rondo and Caruso were a +20. It was an issue for us all regular season, not having a capable bench that can play around AD. In the biggest game (to date) in their season, a NBA Finals game. That group, around AD, changed the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject:

Ungentlemanly win... so polite lol, we punk they ass!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

And a shout out to our scrappers - AC, KCP, DG, Rondo, Dwight, and yes Kieff is slowly entering that zone too. They dont get too much respect from the Media, and they showed up big tonight. Again, just one game, but once the Laker engine revved up they just looked like they want it more.

This bears repeating. Our 2 superstars are awesome, but the supporting cast is also showing their worth when it matters, with a title on the line. These guys don't get the respect they deserve, but each of these guys are playing exactly like the championship level role players we've always wished we had these last several years. Great team play, defensive intensity, flat-out hustle and scrapping, intelligent ball movement, and last but not least, buying in to the game planning of a great defensive minded coach and his staff.

I don't see one ounce of bickering on this team either. Love seeing this level of focus.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

Any win in The Finals is GREAT!

As shared on the broadcast, the team have many players with playoff expeirienced but the team (collectively) is not an experienced playoff team that would increase the lead to 40 instead of letting the opposition (symbolically) come back to make the score "respectable" - Mamba Mentality

Side Note: Hearing Ben Hong play the national anthem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UmQVvJgS9U) brought back tears and memories of Kobe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR4zWhcazoA).
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

I don't say it often enough, but major props to you, DB, for the excellent summaries you produce game after game. As you can tell by my numbers, I don't post much, but I watch every game (in ordinary years, I'd be in the stands for many of the playoff games), and find you saying afterwards a lot of what I had been thinking while watching.

Go Lakers!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

After the 2nd and 3rd quarter STOMPING the game was OVA and the entire 4th quarter the Lakers were just playing against the clock not the Heat.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

Yay winning in the Finals!

Thanks DB
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

My biggest gripe was when they let the foot off the gas...eesh, they can look fairly off. Their offense just went total lazy 3 point chucker mode and it was excruciating.

Sometimes I feel like LeBron is managing risk when he has a big lead. He's like, not worth it to attack right now. I want to shoot threes or pass. Probably best to put him in the post then. And with that micro ball, we're all standing around on the perimeter. Just get him in the post, penetration via the pass. Then work it inside out from there or back someone down/attack if the doubles don't come. He's the engine and we just put it in cruise control too often in those situations.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject:

What a satisfying win. There was a 45 point swing at one point (down 13, up 32). Really proud of our boys. The final Q let-down was expected and can be excused. As long as they keep their pedal to the metal.

Three more for Kobe!

Thanks, DB!
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject:

Richcbt wrote:
I don't say it often enough, but major props to you, DB, for the excellent summaries you produce game after game. As you can tell by my numbers, I don't post much, but I watch every game (in ordinary years, I'd be in the stands for many of the playoff games), and find you saying afterwards a lot of what I had been thinking while watching.

Go Lakers!

I second that emotion

Coach Wooden
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject:

DB is a national treasure
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: