Anyone have a recap of what Mitch said..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerfanNC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Anyone have a recap of what Mitch said..

I left the room ..and whan I came back mitch was being interviewed by Stephen A. What did he say? I caught the part about being a young team..
I will say this the losses dont affect me like they use to. This team just doesnt have a clue. It has to be the dumbest laker team I've seen in a while.
Half the season is gone and they make the same stupid mistakes .
I like the aquisition of Kwame at first but this guy is a complete bust. What in the hell was mihm doing out there last night? he turned his back on pick and roll and the guy just followed him to the rim for a layup.Odom turned it on during the 4th but where was he the first 3? Cook plays the worst D i've ever seen. Does he know how to move his feet on D? Smush ..needs to get his act together. He is just coasting out there. It shouldnt have to take a benching for him to start playing hard. I mean shouldnt he be happy to be in the league? he acts like some sort of superstar.
The refereeing was terrible. I never saw so many late whistles. Missed to many free throws. It obvious they dont care if they win or lose(except Kobe) why should we...Its gonna be a long road back..if we ever get there...being mediocre in a sorry a$$ league sucks!
ningtong88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject:

he said young players can't handle pressure, they need some vetearn players. they may sign one or two later in the year.
kobeodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject:

Stephen: Mitch, how do you feel, now that you have traded Lamar Odom for Kevin Garnett?
Mitch: It feels great!

AS IF!
lakerfanNC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject:

ningtong88 wrote:
he said young players can't handle pressure, they need some vetearn players. they may sign one or two later in the year.

I hope so..but he wont...he 's mitch
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject:

When do you suppose "later" means, when our overworked starters begin going down with injury and we tank the rest?
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:

The reason for signing McKie was to steady the young players. He's a chemisty guy. Every year in the SPL, we see how confused players get trying to learn the triangle. Much of the confusion is due to a learning curve. If you look at the fact Smush only played in 82 games total prior to coming to the Lakers, there is a reason he looks inexperienced. Yet, he has some very promising games when you consider he is a season starter for the first time in his career. He's going to make dumb mistakes compared to veteran PGs. He's still early in his career as a PG.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:

ningtong88 wrote:

Mitch has a point. Neither Vlade nor Milk Carton McKie has succumbed to pressure this season.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:

Phil always likes to have guys like Ron Harper and Brian Shaw. Those kinds of guys won't come to the Lakers for minimum contacts in hopes of winning Championships. If the Lakers can acquire a second superstar in the off-season, that may change.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject:

well I hate to lay this on ya'll but. Steven A also asked about LO to which Mitch said something to the effect that "Lamar has been through a lot having went from the Clippers to the Heat back to LA with several coaches and, the tri. We like him and believe he is going to be ok"

Could be that LO is out of here this summer though... Maybe some will get there wish... Who knows?
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have a recap of what Mitch said..

lakerfanNC wrote:
I left the room ..and whan I came back mitch was being interviewed by Stephen A. What did he say? I caught the part about being a young team..
I will say this the losses dont affect me like they use to. This team just doesnt have a clue. It has to be the dumbest laker team I've seen in a while.
I like the aquisition of Kwame at first but this guy is a complete bust. What in the hell was mihm doing out there last night? he turned his back on pick and roll and the guy just followed him to the rim for a layup.Odom turned it on during the 4th but where was he the first 3? Cook plays the worst D i've ever seen. Does he know how to move his feet on D? Smush ..needs to get his act together. He is just coasting out there. It shouldnt have to take a benching for him to start playing hard. I mean shouldnt he be happy to be in the league? he acts like some sort of superstar.
The refereeing was terrible. I never saw so many late whistles. Missed to many free throws. It obvious they dont care if they win or lose(except Kobe) why should we...Its gonna be a long road back..if we ever get there...being mediocre in a sorry a$$ league sucks!

When I read this post, this is all I see: Whaa, whaa, whaa, whine, whine, whine, cry, cry, cry. Everything is horrible, no one did anything good, we all suck, life is over and the world is ending.
lakerfanNC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have a recap of what Mitch said..

LakerJam wrote:
lakerfanNC wrote:

When I read this post, this is all I see: Whaa, whaa, whaa, whine, whine, whine, cry, cry, cry. Everything is horrible, no one did anything good, we all suck, life is over and the world is ending.

I thought I was pointing out obvious observations. If Iwasnt the correct me.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
The reason for signing McKie was to steady the young players. He's a chemisty guy.

Ok, that's all good and well. McKie hasn't really played all season and probably won't play all season. When it was sort of obvious he was going to be stealing half the MLE, someone who could actually steady the team should have been brought in.

Quote:
Every year in the SPL, we see how confused players get trying to learn the triangle. Much of the confusion is due to a learning curve.

Dropping passes and missing wide open shots has very little to do with a learning curve. But sure, ok, the offense is tough to learn. So are calculus and organic chemistry--but you can get the hang of those in 1 semester. The triangle isn't that tough....

Quote:
If you look at the fact Smush only played in 82 games total prior to coming to the Lakers, there is a reason he looks inexperienced.

Smush doesn't look inexperienced. He looks like a guy who needs to work on his free throws and on his ability to finish a dunk.

Quote:
Yet, he has some very promising games when you consider he is a season starter for the first time in his career. He's going to make dumb mistakes compared to veteran PGs. He's still early in his career as a PG.

I don't really care about the offensive mistakes. I can live with those. Except the free throws. But he doesn't get a free pass on defense because of inexperience. If your man wants to drive to the basket, you stay in front of him. There is nothing to learn. You either have the will to play defense or you don't. Smush doesn't. He is what he is on offense and I can live with that (off the bench). But this triangle excuse is so tiresome. Its the defense people. We don't play any. And that is all effort and will--you'd be hard pressed finding a guy who doesn't play defense who cares about winning.

So poor Smush, he doesn't get the triangle (despite having the resources to study it 24/7, personal coaches, tapes, and everything else). Fine. It'll take him 2 years. Fine. In the meantime he can stay in front of his man and stop doing a Chucky impersonation.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have a recap of what Mitch said..

LakerJam wrote:
lakerfanNC wrote:

They were all valid points. No one did do anything good. And the world isn't ending, but the Lakers season could end prematurely.

Lets look at the points though, shall we?

Dumbest Lakers team ever? Probably so.
Still making the same mistakes without any apparent learning? Pretty much.
Kwame, complete bust? Yes.
Mihm, inconsistent? Yes.
Odom, inconsistent? Yes.
Cook, terrible defender? Yes.
Smush, coasting? Most certainly.
Bad refs? Always.
Most of the team doesn't care? True.

So basically this was a list of actual facts. I don't see the whining.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
well I hate to lay this on ya'll but. Steven A also asked about LO to which Mitch said something to the effect that "Lamar has been through a lot having went from the Clippers to the Heat back to LA with several coaches and, the tri. We like him and believe he is going to be ok"

Could be that LO is out of here this summer though... Maybe some will get there wish... Who knows?

If LO goes out it will be a superstar or all-star. Not less.

They made the mistake with Butler by not trading on equal talent. They will not do the same thing twice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:

Defense is not learned overnight. This team is improving. We must be patient.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:

C'mon man. They're a lot of things, but improving on defense is not one of them. In fact, they've gotten progressively worse.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:

Lots of Laker players have at least 5 years pro experience and most of them are around the age of 25, playing basketball most of their lives.

The fundamentals of defense don't change, so what should we be patient for?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
angel wrote:

C'mon man. They're a lot of things, but improving on defense is not one of them. In fact, they've gotten progressively worse.

Agreed.

Have you noticed that the Tri execution has gotten better and that the PPG has risen over the last 2 months?

But guess what. The defense PPG against and FG% against has also risen significantly.

I think Phil has to stop focusing on the Triangle too much. Just practice defense from now until the end of the season and run 2-3 basic elements of the Triangle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
angel wrote:

Lots of Laker players have at least 5 years pro experience and most of them are around the age of 25, playing basketball most of their lives.

The fundamentals of defense don't change, so what should we be patient for?

The defensive execution was better earlier on in the season.

I think the difference is that players like Smush and our bigs have lost the desire and focus to play defense. The team is too offense oriented and always worried about the Tri execution. I mean if you even look at their best defensive work in recent weeks - it's when they are scoring consistently (Sacramento game for example)
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

If LO goes out it will be a superstar or all-star. Not less.

lakerfanNC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have a recap of what Mitch said..

RG73 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
lakerfanNC wrote:

They were all valid points. No one did do anything good. And the world isn't ending, but the Lakers season could end prematurely.

Lets look at the points though, shall we?

Dumbest Lakers team ever? Probably so.
Still making the same mistakes without any apparent learning? Pretty much.
Kwame, complete bust? Yes.
Mihm, inconsistent? Yes.
Odom, inconsistent? Yes.
Cook, terrible defender? Yes.
Smush, coasting? Most certainly.
Bad refs? Always.
Most of the team doesn't care? True.

So basically this was a list of actual facts. I don't see the whining.

Thanks ...I thought they too were valid observations. Look I want he lakers to be successful. I just want to see progress. I dont really buy that "we're young stuff" Their is alot of youth on this team but most of those guys dont play. George and Walton have been to the finals. Mihm has been in the league for a while as has Odom. Smush and Sasha are very young.
But its been close to 60 games. When will they realized what it takes to be successful?
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have a recap of what Mitch said..

lakerfanNC wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
lakerfanNC wrote:

For starters, this isnt an "obvious observation", it is a knee jerk opinion!

You obviously haven't seen a lot of baskerball. As bad as Cookie's D is, there has been far worse played in the NBA, seriously.

Funny, how what you declare as obvious, is clearly not, but your personal opinion/interpretation of events.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

The best way to beat the Lakers is to run on them. The team just doesn't get back well on defense. When the offense is clicking teams (except Phoenix and NO/OK) can't seem to run. When it is not, they get the boards and are off for easy baskets.

For examples see the 3rd periods of the last 2 games.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have a recap of what Mitch said..

lakerfanNC wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
lakerfanNC wrote:

You wouldn't believe her if she did.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ningtong88 wrote:

Mitch has a point. Neither Vlade nor Milk Carton McKie has succumbed to pressure this season.

Ohthatsfunny!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: