Does anyone else feel like I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone else feel like I do?

activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
I've cheered for championships in the past and they were all special. I'm watching and enjoying the wins during the playoffs, but for the first time, it doesn't feel special, even to finally tie the Celtics at 17. I don't think there needs to be an asterisk, but it feels anticlimactic. I barely notice people wearing Lakers gear now or with it on their cars like in Junes gone by.

Are you as excited as you normally would be?

I'm enjoying this run as much as any other year.

That said, my friends don't really care about basketball. Even during the threepeat and 09-10, I rarely heard people in coffee shops talking about the Lakers. I might see a Laker flag on a car now and then, but it wasn't like the area where I live was swimming in them. So the communal part doesn't feel different to me.

I understand. The area I've lived in always has Lakers fans coming out of the shadows during playoffs.

I've watched enough championship basketball to make me wonder if the childlike thrill is gone.

I certainly don't have the passion for the NBA that I did in my 20s. Now, it's just entertainment. If they had cancelled the season, I would have shrugged and moved onto something else, Same with the finals. I find it fun and exciting, but it's not at all important. I would skip games for a backpacking trip or something else more fun than sitting in front of a screen.

I may be on my way to that point, but I'm not there yet.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
The Peter Frampton song?

Nope, winning a ring is even more special in a year like this.

Cool song
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
ocho wrote:
Took us 10 years and a whole lot of good fortune to get back here. Don’t know how long it’ll be before we are back again. The world is (bleep) up right now. Be in the moment and enjoy it.

I even wondered if I'm a spoiled fan because of all the celebrations I've seen. That could be part of it, but even my friends used to get together to celebrate the last game. I thought of having a Zoom party to watch the game, but I don't even know how to make that work. The game is enjoyable to watch, but more than ever, I think back to what my young friend said after the Lakers won a ring.... "now what?"

Try to keep in mind that the league and teams are rolling with the Covid-19 punches the best that they can. There is definitely a lack of that huge rush at the end of wins without the fans there cheering like crazy. It is what it is...

What you mentioned about grouping up with fellow fans to watch the games is also a big part of it. I'm sure some people are still getting together regardless of the situation, but, I suspect most of us are watching the games at home with little or zero company - and that definitely affects how the whole process feels. I normally never go out to bars and such, just not my thing. But, if the Lakers are in the title hunt, you can bet I would normally be at a bar or a watch party somewhere for at least a couple games to enjoy it with other fans. I'll never forget celebrating our game 7 win against Boston back in 2011 with a bunch of great fans at a local bar.

I'm enjoying what this team is accomplishing and I think the bubble presents a unique challenge to all of the players and team staff to contend with. I try to appreciate that they're going through something that most of us probably don't really understand - being there for several months, etc. But, I totally understand where you're coming from.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
In before lock.....

Me too (3 pages later).
lonesoul
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject:

I am just as excited ever. Been putting on my Lakers shirts. Bought a Lakers hat. Got my dog a Lakers jersey. Gave my friend's kid a Lebron toy figure. Counting down the days to each game. Glad Lakers lost a game to make game 4 more exciting. Although as one gets older you realize there are more important things to focus on, but Lakers will always be an important part of my life. Can't wait to see how they improve the team in the offseason. Wondering how old I will be when Lakers win their 18th and hoping Boston's young team fizzles out.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject:

I was a bigger Kobe fan than Lakers fan, so it will never be the same level for me but
when we were down in game 2 against the Blazers I was on the edge of my seat.

After that there has been no drama, just smooth sailing to where we are now.

It hasn't been the most exciting playoff run. But not every playoff run can be the best ever. Just happy to be one game away from number 17
Lakerwayne
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
I enjoy a spanking.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

I will say this even though it’s not the same or whatever had we lost earlier or lose now I would go completely insane
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Thrilled & invested as ever.
Crushed with every loss as ever.

Elated because I felt our chance is slim against Clippers, Bucks, or Toronto, and like magic, those guys are gone. Now here we are, trophy so close I feel I could almost touch it.

If we don't win this year, I think 17th will be a long time coming, with Warriors and Clippers, and more mature Denver, and awakened Bucks, next year. IT'S NOW OR NEVER and I'm an extremely happy camper! And I hope you will be too once you realize how fortunate we are.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
For me the excitement was due to the competition moreso than anything else. I wasn't as excited when it looked like Lakers would sweep, but after Heat won a game and it became competitive, it's actually been more fun. I enjoyed the game four win more than the game 1 and 2 wins.

Ditto
Lakerwayne
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Im excited but I’ve always been a lebron fan and was also invested in the guys that did stick around especially kcp and Kuzma.

But I agree that the competition is the exciting part. In fact in past laker championships I never felt great after the Finals win it always felt kinda anticlimactic or deflating like well what now cuz following the season and watching the competition the thrill of the playoffs is the fun part. Also this team has beaten everybody in 5 and will have a chance to close this one out as well in 5 which means tho it’s been exciting we haven’t even seen a game 6 let alone a game 7 this team has been quite dominant actually so it gets exciting when one of these teams takes a game lol you get bored with how good this team is and that’s exciting 😂
Lakerwayne
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Basically what I’m saying is I love the exciting boredom of lakers playoff dominance. It excites me in my day to day life to know that tonight I’m gonna sit and chill and watch the lakers probably win and if I’m lucky the other team might make it interesting but in the end won’t have a shot at actually winning the series
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it’s defintiely not the same feeling as past titles. I thought a part of it (in addition to the others that have been mentioned) is that this group is pretty much all new. With past titles we had guys for a few years and have to fight through those heartbreaking postseasons before winning it all. This just feels like a build your own championship that was bought at Costco. Don’t get me wrong, it’s awesome that the team is so good and will probably win the title to honor Kobe and tie the Celtics. But I also don’t have that emotional investment in the team because we haven’t really experienced losing together. And that’s what makes winning sweeter, it’s why I’m so invested in the Dodgers even with their weird bubble and no fans in the stands.

Also, the nuggets playoff run plus Luka in round 1 were the most exciting part of these playoffs. The rest was pretty meh.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject:

I agree that the games themselves don't carry the theatrical drama of playing in front of a live crowd. I also miss watching the Finals with my friends, which i haven't been able to do since my current job does strict testing and I could essentially lose it if i catch COVID. So that sucks.

But this year has also been so awful, that a Laker title goes that much further.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject:

It's just you ... and maybe VLF.
After 10 years of misery, almost not having a season at all, despite a pandemic, despite on-going all out war on common decency and civil rights, and tying the C's record, and winning one for the greatest Laker ever, and you're not thrilled?

The conditions and circumstances this post-season may be the most difficult ever to try and go through playing and winning a title.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Took us 10 years and a whole lot of good fortune to get back here. Don’t know how long it’ll be before we are back again. The world is (bleep) up right now. Be in the moment and enjoy it.

I still can't believe we are 3-1 and with a chance to close out Friday...feels unreal. I am so happy after all happened this year. I am going to shed a tear when I see the Lakers win the Finals.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject:

The basketball itself and the quality of play has been as great as ever. I grew up on the Kobe era, so watching 110+ point games every night is a refreshing change versus never seeing a game back then where both teams scored at least 100.

But the lack of fans at the games and having to stay home because of the pandemic means there's no excitement around maybe winning the championship. That's what really makes it special, because rooting for your favorite team is all about your civic pride for your hometown.

This has been more like watching your team get close to a championship while in exile in Siberia.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject:

Maybe I’m just exhausted from things happening in life this year, I‘ll still be relieved and ecstatic for the team if they can hoist the LO’B. What a journey. I still remember Joey Buss with his bizarre trophy speech in Orlando, something about Lakers 15 and Celtics 17... 11 years later, there’s an opportunity to tie it up.

All of the naysayers, doom and groomers, and those redditors who showed up at Staples, were down on this team about a year ago after the off-season. I am still eating crow for doubting the FO. Very few could imagine the Lakers being in this position a year later.

So proud of the team’s resolve and dedication, they never quit. In a year of redemption, Dwight Howard’s renaissance has lead him back to where it all started, hoping the team will be able get it done tonight.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone else feel like I do?

lakersboy wrote:
I've cheered for championships in the past and they were all special. I'm watching and enjoying the wins during the playoffs, but for the first time, it doesn't feel special, even to finally tie the Celtics at 17. I don't think there needs to be an asterisk, but it feels anticlimactic. I barely notice people wearing Lakers gear now or with it on their cars like in Junes gone by.

Are you as excited as you normally would be?

Well kind of true. I am Laker fan since 1998. For me the chip from 2000 was the most special one. It was first for Kobe and Shaq and also the moment we beat Portland in semis was the most difficult series since I am following. Not in Finals but to reach the final.
Also special alley-op Kobe Shaq will always be in my memory.
I am enjoying now, but without any doubt , it could be the one with lowest value for me.
But its just my feeling. Not saying that should be general opinion.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject:

I know when I wear my "F*ck the Celtics" shirt I still get tons of people hyped up in public talking about winning it all this year. There's some Trumptilians around here that try to talk some trash but I just ignore them as all they really want is to start some unnecessary drama.

It doesn't feel as big as some of the past Championships but still massive since it's been such a long drought and knowing they are going to be wearing the Mamba jerseys with the whole Kobe backdrop is taking it to another entire level for me at least.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject:

It's not just you. And at all the people acting like they speak for everyone and trying to make you feel like a 'weirdo' for feeling this way. The historically low ratings speak for themselves.

There are MANY reasons why I'm not as excited about this championship as other years:

1) Kobe's death. Basketball and the Lakers just haven't seemed the same since it happened. Sure, it'd be great to "win one for the gipper", but if you asked me right now if I would trade this guaranteed championship for Kobe still being alive, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

2) Covid and 2020 as a whole. It's given me a different perspective on life. And many things that were important to me before don't seem to matter as much and are trivial (i.e. sports/entertainment).

3) Paused/shortened season really took the wind out of the sails. A near half-year hiatus makes it seem like this isn't even part of the same season.

4) No crowd. I'm sorry but the crowd is just such a HUGE part of any sport and the excitement that goes along with it. As others have pointed out, imagine AD's buzzerbeater happening in Staples. Would literally bring the roof down. These games have felt like Summer League more than actual NBA playoffs.

5) Unchallenged path to the Finals. The most memorable championships to me have always been the ones where the Lakers had to scratch and claw and win hotly contested series and pull of crazy last-second heroics to make it happen. We've had no Game 7's, luckily avoided the biggest obstacles we would've had to face. It'll be 4 straight series of gentlemen's sweeps. At least during the 2001 run we made history with the playoff record and still faced the Western Conference gauntlet.
Swagron12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject:

Another illustration that people will complain about anything and everything.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject:

I have found bubble play to be as good as regular play. With the lack of fans, I think the quality of the players play is even better, and the lack of travel. You have seen players hit incredible shots and be very very good. I feared that the bubble play would lack, but it has been high quality. The Lakers themselves began like I feared. Without much purpose and looked out of sorts. But then they turned it on, and have become the same team they were pre-pandemic.

I was not feeling it, but when I saw these guys really give it their all, and then the commitment to winning for Kobe, Gigi. How can you not want this?

I mean Kobe's widow, Vanessa, she wished them luck for tomorrow's game. The only difference for me will be if they win and they talk about Kobe, I will likely shed tears instead of the usual lets go celebrate with drinks and go crazy. This will be somber celebration IF we win. The JOB IS NOT DONE, I can not repeat that enough.

I respect what anyone is feeling. You can not teach or force emotion. What you have is, what you have. Personally, I went from not wanting to watch, to somewhat wanting to, to very excited again. The distraction of the NBA and this, has been excellent for me. When AD screamed out Kobe after game 2 vs Denver, when Coach Vogel said that was a mamba shot, man, we would not have these memories and moments. IF, big IF, this team wins another title in those mamba jerseys, how fitting would that be? Ut would be an exceptional memory. I don't want the pandemic and Kobe's passing to completely ruin the love I have for the Lakers.

I will say, It is definitely just a sport, so had the Lakers come up short this year, or say they lose this series in 7, I will get over it a lot earlier than I would have in the past. That is definitely the result of all the crap that has gone on in 2020.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I have found bubble play to be as good as regular play. With the lack of fans, I think the quality of the players play is even better, and the lack of travel. You have seen players hit incredible shots and be very very good. I feared that the bubble play would lack, but it has been high quality. The Lakers themselves began like I feared. Without much purpose and looked out of sorts. But then they turned it on, and have become the same team they were pre-pandemic.

I was not feeling it, but when I saw these guys really give it their all, and then the commitment to winning for Kobe, Gigi. How can you not want this?

I mean Kobe's widow, Vanessa, she wished them luck for tomorrow's game. The only difference for me will be if they win and they talk about Kobe, I will likely shed tears instead of the usual lets go celebrate with drinks and go crazy. This will be somber celebration IF we win. The JOB IS NOT DONE, I can not repeat that enough.

I respect what anyone is feeling. You can not teach or force emotion. What you have is, what you have. Personally, I went from not wanting to watch, to somewhat wanting to, to very excited again. The distraction of the NBA and this, has been excellent for me. When AD screamed out Kobe after game 2 vs Denver, when Coach Vogel said that was a mamba shot, man, we would not have these memories and moments. IF, big IF, this team wins another title in those mamba jerseys, how fitting would that be? Ut would be an exceptional memory. I don't want the pandemic and Kobe's passing to completely ruin the love I have for the Lakers.

I will say, It is definitely just a sport, so had the Lakers come up short this year, or say they lose this series in 7, I will get over it a lot earlier than I would have in the past. That is definitely the result of all the crap that has gone on in 2020.

Ditto
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

Swagron12 wrote:
Another illustration that people will complain about anything and everything.

Like you complaining about this thread?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: