LAKERS -vs- HEAT - 10/11 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject:

THANKS x 17!!
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Thank you DB. Thank you Lakers faithful. It's been a long time but we are finally back on top. I haven't been posting much but have always been reading and never left my home here at LG. Glad to see everyone holding it down like the good old days. Enjoy this championship my Lakers family
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject:

DB,

THIS!

This is the post I wanted to read!! THE FOUR HORSEMEN!!!!

EPIC!

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT job DB!

The Lakers brougt it home in SPADES tonight. LeBron led the team the way he HAD to!

We Laker fans have been searching for that holy grail...the 17th Ring for sooo long.

Now there is NO doubt that the Laker franchise is the GREATEST NBA TEAM in basketball history!!

Now it is on to #18!

Congratulations to all the FAITHFUL who believed!

This one was for Kobe Bean Bryant!!!

Cursed is he who dares to cover this banner at the Staples Center!!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject:

A damn epic write-up DB. You've written terrific ones over the years, and since I've joined LG it was first during lean years, now to see this...just a monster delivery DB.

Crazy how this went isnt it? Kobe beat Dwight's Magic club in the finals, then after beating the Celtics the next year in the finals was asked about the rumor of LBJ teaming up with D-Wade and Bosh in the game 7 post game interview...and here we are with both Dwight and LBJ on this team, in the year of Kobe's passing.

This game culminated a crazy up and down season, do you remember...

1. When Magic bailed and outed Pelinka? Media went crazy calling for Pelinka's head. Called the franchise unstable.
2. The coaching search? Rejected by one, the other (Lue) felt offended by the 3 year deal. Media called the franchise unstable.
3. The trade for AD? Many were chastising the club, saying it was too much, and AD was not all that.
4. The pursuit of Kawhai? It was just around Independence day when it all shook down and the Clippers suddenly became the toast of the town. Media chuckled at us (yes, the franchise and its fans).
5. The opening day loss to the Clippers? After that, many folks were about ready to call our boys soft. Clippers were the "real grinders"
6. Then the Lakers would rip off 7 wins in a row. Then after that? 10 more wins in a row. Then 7 more wins in a row and a 24-3 record entering Milwaukee...
7. Lakers lost that game. Then the next. And the next. And, yes, the next. The Clippers once again beat our boys, the rumors coming out were "we just wait for the Lakers to beat themselves"
8. Our boys then went on a nice consistent run, playing good basketball...
9. And then that Sunday morning. You remember where you were. I was at a Popeyes in Torrance after taking my daughter to swim lesson. A helicopter with Kobe and Gianna crashed...the world didnt feel right...
10. The Lakers would respond, and did so in major fashion. Remember that weekend where folks believed it was a foregone conclusion of a Clippers v Bucks finals? Then the Lakers proceeded to beat them both back to back on A Friday night, and a Sunday game, collectively. The league was on notice.
11. Then COVID hit. Then the Bubble.
12. Then the doubters. Lakers would lose one game in the western conference in each series and each time Media talk heads figured the Lakers had no answer. Wrong.
13. That frustrating game 5 loss on Friday...we were so close...so close.
14. But you could tell from Laker interviews - they were not really dissapointed, they were edging towards angry.
15. And angry they came to play...

Game 6 was an absolute master class by the Lakers in defensive ferocity. I have not seen this type of demolition for 3 quarters by one team on another in a finals in a long time. They swarmed, they attacked, they made the Heat appear very, very timid. This was alot like Game 1 when the lakers jumped out with a purpose, but where that game had the Lakers getting a huge lead from ridiculous 3 shooting, this game was all about a defensive effort that IMO was as ferocious we've seen in years.

Anchoring all this was AD - At times I could swear part Ben Wallace, part Kevin Garnett. He was a man possessed in the middle, swatting shots, causing turnovers, getting rebounds, altering shots - I know now what it must have felt like to for Piston fans, or even KG celtic fans, when their D just locked in like that.

And of course driving the offense was LBJ, and then Rondo - smooth, elegant, experienced attacks and moves. KCP and DG3 did their share too. A nod to AC and Kieff for their timely contributions.

What a ride its been. I feel so lucky to have shared this season with my LG brethren. The ups and downs. Our shared joys, frustrations, dissapointment, broken hearts, and ultimately elation. Lets enjoy this one. Then, we can reconvene for off season moves...

until then, CELEBRATE!!! THE LAKERS DID IT!!! KOBE, THEY DID YOU PROUD!
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Thank you DB!

What a season and what a championship. In an otherwise horrible year, something to smile ear to ear about. Mad props to our guys for riding through all the adversity and a giant (bleep) you to all the haters and doubters that counted us out form day one and went with the hot take Clippers.

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

DrDent - Great post. I could feel the ebbs and flows of the season, getting me riled up, sad, elated going through all that.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject:

DB, I remember reading your last write up in 2010 like it was yesterday. I have to admit when the lakers win titles I am always surprised when it ends, but I am also heartened that even 12 years later (Kobe/Shaq) or ten years (this year), the lakers always seem to give me another one. But I’m learning to savor them more in the moment.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
DB,

THIS!

This is the post I wanted to read!! THE FOUR HORSEMEN!!!!

EPIC!

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT job DB!

Thanks, RR. I was not ready to write it in the last game. Went on a hike just before game time and got in a good place for this one and the Lakers delivered. Hard to concentrate when I wanted to celebrate but pounded this one out.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!!

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DB, I remember reading your last write up in 2010 like it was yesterday. I have to admit when the lakers win titles I am always surprised when it ends, but I am also heartened that even 12 years later (Kobe/Shaq) or ten years (this year), the lakers always seem to give me another one. But I’m learning to savor them more in the moment.

I loved this run. Just how versatile this team is and I really love watching good D. It’s a pleasure.

Wish it could have been in front of the fans, but this was historic. One for the ages.

I’m going to be enjoying this for quite a while.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
DrDent - Great post. I could feel the ebbs and flows of the season, getting me riled up, sad, elated going through all that.

Thanks DB - that means alot coming from you.
michaelg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject:

DB!!!

DB thank you so much for your thoughts and ratings and all that you do. It means a lot to me as it does many others. Ill never forget reading your horsemen saga especially after the Lakers beat the Celtics in game 7. You had us listen to viva la vida while reading that write up... after such a hard fought, emotional 3 year struggle versus the C’s that came down to the final seconds of game 7 it all felt so amazing, enhanced even more by your writing, and I’ll never forget it. I totally read this thread while listening again to the song, definitely recommended

This championship like that one will go down as so unique w/ the bubble and all that is going on in the world, and a redemption story in its own right, in so many ways...for Jeannie and the Buss family and the Lakers organization, Lebron, AD, Dwight, Rondo, Vogel, KCP, AC.... then the fact the Lakers got #17, tying with the Celtics, redeeming the franchise and the Lakers lifers in the longer story arc stretching back to the 50s. So awesome.

So happy for the players, the ownership and management, and all us lakers lifers. Time to raise a glass. Thank you again DB, so very glad to be on this ride with you and the rest of LG, some of us since the Rivals days in the 90s. Here’s to Dr. Buss, Kobe, Jeannie, Lebron, AD, and DB. All love.
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject:

mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject:

What an amazing season. Thank you, DB, for another wonderful season of ratings and for keeping those typing fingers loose even through an unprecedented league shutdown for half a year.

Lakers were lottery jokes for six straight seasons. Lebron signs with us and then within two seasons we go from a lottery team to a championship one as he helps to woo AD to demand a trade to us. This is by far his finest accomplishment in the NBA. GOAT.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

Game 6 was an absolute master class by the Lakers in defensive ferocity. I have not seen this type of demolition for 3 quarters by one team on another in a finals in a long time. They swarmed, they attacked, they made the Heat appear very, very timid.

Great overall post DrDent; this part bears repeating. This was a defensive masterpiece. THIS is great basketball.

AD, LBJ, Caruso, KCP, Rondo, Green, Morris. Incredible.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject:

Oh man, DB. That opening had me reaching for my box of tissues. So very good. And here we are again. Finally.
Fourplay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject:

It's been no bed of roses.
No pleasure cruise.
I consider it a challenge
before the whole human race
and I ain't gonna lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject:

You've written many masterpieces, DB. This might be your best. Can't thank you enough for the work you put in to this site and your game recaps. It can't be easy.

P.S. Thank Mrs. DB for us too.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject:

We made some big defensive adjustments, with AD over at the 5, and Caruso in, we saw a lot less Butler switching. Go back to last game, and the first few Butler possessions, he gets AD switched up to Dwight. He takes Dwight one on one. Our defense just could not lock down the way this group with AD at the 5 and Caruso in as an additional wing defender, did.

After previous game, I said in DBs thread. One more defensive game. That has been this team's strength all season, aside from having LBJ/AD. And boy did we get that defensive game. That first half defense, has to rival some of the all time defensive efforts in NBA Finals history. Great coaching. Vogel knows this team inside out. He knew the changes he was making and why. Brilliant.

Can't say enough Caruso, Rondo and AD. AD gets his props. But Caruso and Rondo had big time efforts. Caruso defensive effort and energy is infectious. Rondo came in with a mindset that he is going to make Miami pay for not defending him well. He brought out stuff from 10 years ago (the spin move off a drive to get a layup, that was just sensational).

This season has been over a year long. We began really this season, the moment we traded for AD. Since then, I can remember all the talk and all the drama. The coaching drama. The FO drama. The losing out on Kawhi to the Clippers drama. Fans talking about how much better Ballmer is than Jeanie. Sure we start out great, but then Kobe passes away tragically with his daughter and other friends. The game just felt empty after that. Start to regain that momentum, with wins against Clippers and Bucks. Then pandemic hits for a NBA league wide shut down. I at some point began to envision the Lakers trying to make a run in 2021. I was thinking about Bron's age, and whether he can have that kind of season. Somehow we got to finish out this season. And then when it restarts, we look nothing like the team we were pre-pandemic.

I know Barkely is a clown on TV, but he picked the Blazers over us for a reason. The Lakers were playing awful, and this is not the most talented team in the league, especially on offense.

To go from there, and if you had told me after we dropped game 1 to the Blazers, that we are gonna win it all. Man, I am just so happy. I'm happy that I personally put in so much time breaking down this team's strengths and weaknesses. Last few years, I just couldn't do that, it was all about player development. It was not something I ever felt great about, that instead of focusing on the Lakers team strengths and weaknesses, the majority of the talk was about the specific drafted players strengths and weaknesses and how to develop them. Some fans became more invested in a player's development (Such as Ingram) than the actual impact signing a Lebron James, meant. We had the best player of his generation, still playing at a superstar level. It was time to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses and build an instant winner.

What a season. And in 3-4 months from now, I dunno, man. I think unless some other teams make major moves, we have a legit shot at a repeat with the way Bron and AD are playing. If AD is healthy, AD should actually be better next summer than now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

As a kid I started following the Lakers in 1970 immediately after the Celtic dynasty ended. Got to watch the 1972 championship team being put together and come to fruition. Ever since I've been waiting for the Lakers to usurp those dastardly Celtics as the best team ever (hence my username). MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject:

Thank you DB, for all the wonderful post-game writeups. I've been enjoying them for years. You are a treasure to this forum.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject:

DB,
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Thing is my thanking you (and Mrs. DB, and the family) can't possibly be enough for how much joy you have brought me over the years. I have not missed a single one of your write-ups for as long as I can remember, come rain or shine, come win or loss. The insights are amazing, the knowledge tremendous, the objectivity impeccable. The hours you spend writing it up, game after game, season after season shows how your love for the team and the game reigns supreme.
It's #17 finally, and I'm tearing up now, may you and your family have a blessed offseason and year.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!!! You're the real MVP!!!!

Number seventeen!!!!!!!! CAN YOU DIG IT???????
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, you outdid yourself on this write-up!

I'm glad (once again) that the Lakers signed Rondo. Sure, he has some baggage but he's one of the most undervalued players in the NBA. He was the only Celtic I feared late in the fourth quarter of Game 7 during the 2010 Championship, when the so-called "Big 3" shrank from the biggest moment in the biggest game. Rondo's BB IQ is at the genius level, he sees things that elude most players (and coaches) which is why he's the perfect floor general. And for some crazy reason, not only does his intensity rise to the occasion, so does his marksmanship. That is the exact opposite of almost every single player in the NBA.

Lebron deserves accolades, as does AD. KCP rose Game 7 as well. But for me, it was Rondo's energy and prowess on both sides of the court that dug the grave in DB's Forest Lawn for the Heat.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the writeups, DB!

And thank you Lakers for bringing us another throphy. What a masterful performance by the entire team. What a Playoff run by LeBron and AD. And Rondo. And KCP. And the total redemption of one Dwight Howard. And Caruso. I won't lie - I shed a tear when the celebration and speeches began. I wish Kobe would've been here to witness it.

Go Lakers!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: