CP3 to Lakers? (Nope -Traded to the Suns)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
If OKC's goal is to save money, getting rid of CP3s contract and getting Green back as an expiring, helps that cause tremendously.

They are still rebuilding so flipping assets for draft picks is more favorable than just getting through a liability.

Case in point, Bucks offer the first round from Indiana and their 21 pick, that’s 2 draft assets . They they add contracts of Bledsoe and Hill, that’s another 2 assets that they can flip for more draft picks. They can’t do that Green. Only way for them to more interested in our offer is seeing Kuz as a main piece which is a stretch .

Right. OKC's goal is not just to save money. That's a common misconception in these sorts of discussions. In fact, a lot of people have convinced themselves that CP3's contract is a lot worse than it really is. He was an all-star and second-team all-NBA last year. If his contract was $35M next year instead of $41M, no one would blink. $6M is hardly trivial, but a lot of people seem to have inflated the disparity in their minds.

OKC is under the luxury tax threshold, so it is not imperative for Presti to swallow a bunch of garbage just to reduce the payroll. On the contrary, if it comes right down to it, he can let CP3 play for another season, or at least until the trade deadline. CP3 might take them back to the playoffs if he's healthy. That's an attractive option if the alternative is taking a bunch of garbage and missing the playoffs. The risk, of course, is that CP3 might get injured. But if you are willing to take that risk for the Lakers, there is no reason to think that Presti wouldn't take it for the Thunder.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
If OKC's goal is to save money, getting rid of CP3s contract and getting Green back as an expiring, helps that cause tremendously.

They are still rebuilding so flipping assets for draft picks is more favorable than just getting through a liability.

Case in point, Bucks offer the first round from Indiana and their 21 pick, that’s 2 draft assets . They they add contracts of Bledsoe and Hill, that’s another 2 assets that they can flip for more draft picks. They can’t do that Green. Only way for them to more interested in our offer is seeing Kuz as a main piece which is a stretch .

You're forgetting the opportunity afforded to OKC with cap space, which they can potentially "rent out" to teams in exchange for assets. And given the flattened (declining?) salary cap + the financial hits owners have absorbed from their ventures outside the NBA, OKC could be looking at a LOT of teams looking to shed cap space and picks to go with them. Would you rather have that or the Bucks pick that comes a whopping 4 spots before ours plus Bledsoe, who has proven himself a liability in back to back playoffs? What team is giving up a first for a guy who doesn't help you win in the postseason? Kuzma is more likely to fetch a pick.

And btw, Bucks only have the Indy pick this year. They traded their own to Boston.
rst08tierney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I'll take a healthy CP3 and a vet min wing over Rondo and Green.

Well, sure, but you can only trade for CP3, not "a healthy CP3." That's the biggest problem (other than the sheer implausibility of the trade, but it's the offseason, so what the heck).

Everyone is assuming that because of his age, not his reduced responsibility as a Laker.

That really puzzles me.

His age is relevant, for sure. If we’re comparing him to Rondo and Green for discussion purposes, this is really a wash. They aren’t young, either. But a trade for CP3 would affect the rest of the roster because (at least under the proposals I’ve seen), we’d be adding net salary. Quite a bit. I do not claim to be a salary cap guru, and I have not tried to add up the numbers. If the rest of the roster ends up depleted, then the CP3 injury risk is magnified.

I'm not thinking in terms of net salary. I'm thinking of adding 2-way skill set on the floor, plus, LAL taking care of their franchise players. Like I said, I have zero issue with LBJ and CP3 riding out to the sunset on the best friends team.

Personally, I think CP3 + 2 vet min wings > Rondo + Green + Grant.

CP3/Carmelo/Korver ?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
You're forgetting the opportunity afforded to OKC with cap space, which they can potentially "rent out" to teams in exchange for assets.

OKC will not gain cap space in '21 by trading CP3. They would need to take matching contracts in any deal. Even if they saved some money in the deal, they would still be over the cap for next year. They might get under the cap in '22 if they took expiring contracts, but I don't see Presti being so unambitious that his long term plan would be to turn the Thunder's payroll into a Superfund site.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

You're forgetting the opportunity afforded to OKC with cap space, which they can potentially "rent out" to teams in exchange for assets. And given the flattened (declining?) salary cap + the financial hits owners have absorbed from their ventures outside the NBA, OKC could be looking at a LOT of teams looking to shed cap space and picks to go with them. Would you rather have that or the Bucks pick that comes a whopping 4 spots before ours plus Bledsoe, who has proven himself a liability in back to back playoffs? What team is giving up a first for a guy who doesn't help you win in the postseason? Kuzma is more likely to fetch a pick.

And btw, Bucks only have the Indy pick this year. They traded their own to Boston.

They are not dumping CP3 for teams with cap space. They are getting salaries from us too. Bledsoe is 2nd team all defensive. Him and Hill have more chances to fetch picks than Gree.

Also Bucks have their 2021 pick. We can’t future trade ours
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I'll just flat out disagree with your assessment that CP3 and Caruso aren't elite defenders.

Name 5 point guards that are better. Include Dort if you'd like.

How else do you think Caruso is such a +++ player without scoring a ton of points?

Wait , what??! someone actually said AC isn’t an elite defender??!?

No way they’ve been watching any Lakers basketball this season.

vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski: Talks on salary cap and tax continue with NBA/NBPA. Had league and union followed the normal formula to determine this season’s salary cap — linking it to overall league revenue — sources told ESPN that it would have fallen to around $90M — down from about $109M in 2019-20.

I’m sure the cap will be handled to benefit the majority if the league but if things were being handled at status quo, we’re looking at a salary cap of 90m next season (ie 19m short of what it was last year).

Then consider for OKC that with the guaranteed money of Cp3/Aquaman/Shro alone, they looking at 84m in team salary. If they use a 90m cap adjusted ntpMLE (~7.7m) then they already bypassed the cap next year and will roughly be 22m away from paying the tax and 28m away from the apron, which they will be hardcapped at with the use of said MLE.

They need a min of 33m in incoming salary for Cp3’s outgoing 41m. So that 8m in cap wiggle could go some ways in convincing frugal Bennett to have Presti play that hand.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
I’m sure the cap will be handled to benefit the majority if the league but if things were being handled at status quo, we’re looking at a salary cap of 90m next season (ie 19m short of what it was last year).

Then consider for OKC that with the guaranteed money of Cp3/Aquaman/Shro alone, they looking at 84m in team salary. If they use a 90m cap adjusted ntpMLE (~7.7m) then they already bypassed the cap next year and will roughly be 22m away from the apron, which they will be hardcapped at with the use of said MLE.

They need a min of 33m in incoming salary for Cp3’s outgoing 41m. So that 8m in cap wiggle could go some ways in convincing frugal Bennett to have Presti play that hand.
when are they going to to set the salary cap? And is tomorrow when players has to opt in?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject:

^ Brogdon is the NBPA vp and he made it sound as if negotiations wont be reached by tomorrow’s deadline...so expect another extension of all things next season, including the salary cap estimates.

Quote:
“Absolutely,” Brogdon, an NBPA vice president, said Thursday in an appearance on ESPN’s The Jump, when asked if he expected the deadline to be pushed back. “The way talks are going, this is a super complicated issue, and there’s a lot to balance. [There’s] a lot of minds working on this collaboratively, on both sides. So it’s going to take some time. I don’t think a few weeks, but I think it will take at least a few more days.” – via Tim Bontemps @ ESPN
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Right. OKC's goal is not just to save money. That's a common misconception in these sorts of discussions. In fact, a lot of people have convinced themselves that CP3's contract is a lot worse than it really is. He was an all-star and second-team all-NBA last year. If his contract was $35M next year instead of $41M, no one would blink. $6M is hardly trivial, but a lot of people seem to have inflated the disparity in their minds.

OKC is under the luxury tax threshold, so it is not imperative for Presti to swallow a bunch of garbage just to reduce the payroll. On the contrary, if it comes right down to it, he can let CP3 play for another season, or at least until the trade deadline. CP3 might take them back to the playoffs if he's healthy. That's an attractive option if the alternative is taking a bunch of garbage and missing the playoffs. The risk, of course, is that CP3 might get injured. But if you are willing to take that risk for the Lakers, there is no reason to think that Presti wouldn't take it for the Thunder.

I do think that Presti has to move him now. You cannot take the chance that he injures himself again, which would absolutely plummet his value. His contract was considered hideous before last season. Now that he only has 2 years left and played at an all-NBA level again, it doesn't look so bad, and certain teams might feel the desperation to go for it with him. They can't hold him into this season imo. Now is the time to sell him as high as you can, get what you can (which will be at least one decent asset in the form of a young player and/or a 1st Round pick imo), and also get the financial savings. The benefit of any offer by us would be that it would be all expiring contracts for OKC, and up to 3 "assets": Kuz/THT/#28 pick.

I see us as having a real shot, but I don't see us as the favorite.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I'll just flat out disagree with your assessment that CP3 and Caruso aren't elite defenders.

How else do you think Caruso is such a +++ player without scoring a ton of points?

Better than AC no way. Better than CP3, lets think.. and that means current performance.

Roll call starts with the best Kris Dunn. He's slipped but Pat Bev still. You said Dort. Jevon Carter. That still leaves Jrue, Ben, Smart counts when he's bring it up, LBJ when he's hustlin lol....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I do think that Presti has to move him now. You cannot take the chance that he injures himself again, which would absolutely plummet his value. His contract was considered hideous before last season. Now that he only has 2 years left and played at an all-NBA level again, it doesn't look so bad, and certain teams might feel the desperation to go for it with him. They can't hold him into this season imo. Now is the time to sell him as high as you can, get what you can (which will be at least one decent asset in the form of a young player and/or a 1st Round pick imo), and also get the financial savings. The benefit of any offer by us would be that it would be all expiring contracts for OKC, and up to 3 "assets": Kuz/THT/#28 pick.

Maybe. THT is a mid-second round pick who has played less than 100 minutes in the league. The #28 pick has a little value, but not that much. Kuzma is a Rorschach test for Laker fans. Presti might value that package (plus Green and whoever else we can add as salary filler). But I don't think he'd be unreasonable if he took a pass and waited for the trade deadline.

Anyway, I think that any trade for CP3 would require both Bradley and McGee to opt in and be traded. I haven't actually seen anyone run the numbers, but this seems to be the working assumption.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Maybe. THT is a mid-second round pick who has played less than 100 minutes in the league. The #28 pick has a little value, but not that much. Kuzma is a Rorschach test for Laker fans. Presti might value that package (plus Green and whoever else we can add as salary filler). But I don't think he'd be unreasonable if he took a pass and waited for the trade deadline.

Anyway, I think that any trade for CP3 would require both Bradley and McGee to opt in and be traded. I haven't actually seen anyone run the numbers, but this seems to be the working assumption.

Correct, if both of them opt in, you can make the salary matching work without too much trouble. If one of them doesn't, then it gets far more complicated because you'd need one of your free agents to agree to a sign-and-trade to OKC as part of the deal. As has been mentioned on here, any deal like that could be guaranteed in the first year and non-guaranteed in the final two seasons (sign-and-trades must be at least 3 years in length).
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

It's a tricky question, although CP3 is a good defender, guys his height aren't as switchable and are far less disruptive than a team of 6'5-6'6 guys (and AB/Rondo have wingspan to make up for being shorter). As a result, the Lakers didn't have to worry about switches with bigger guards, only a handful of wings. Guys under 6'2 like CP3 who handle the ball a lot and play good defense are rare in this league, only Lowry and Bledsoe come to mind. But often times their best bet on defense vs bigger players is hoping for a charge/block to go in their favor.

I never said Caruso wasn't elite on defense, just that he'd be playing often w/ foul trouble, averaging 30 minutes as a starter while sticking the best guard (definitely elite in his current role). He and Chris Paul aren't good 3-point shooting options as starters, meaning LeBron may as well come off the bench if the opening lineup can't give him any spacing.

Keeping KCP is more important than having the full MLE or completing any foreseeable S&T. Looking at the potential free agents, I don't see any suitable replacement for any of AB/DG/KCP.

If Dunn were to go elsewhere (backing up CP3 isn't what his career needs right now), we'd be hoping for a guy like Cory Joseph to get bought out and stretched, but he shoots like Bradley did in the first 2 months of last season. Since all the trade assets would have been used in any CP3 deal, Caruso and our MLE/BAE signing(s) would be the only remaining assets at the 2021 deadline.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Potential vet min signings

Noel/WCS/Boogie/Okafor/Diallo/Henson/Vonleh/Biyombo/Leonard
Green/Giles/MElo/Dudley
GR3/Korver/Ennis/RHJ/J.Jackson/MKG/Thabo/DeMarae Caroll/S.Hill
Burks/Matthews/Waiters/Rivers/C.Lee/Belinelli/E.Moore/Galloway
Burke/Napier/McLaughlin/MCW/R.Jackson/K.Dunn

Lot of potential bargains to fill out the roster if needed.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

^I like the potential frontcourt and wing help, but don't see any guards that resemble our current four best backcourt defenders.

I would be shocked to see Galloway get only the minimum, although his specialty is offense.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I don't think OKC has to take the best offer if they don't like the best offer right now. With us, it depends on how they view of Kuz and THT. If you think Kuz is just an average NBA player and THT is just an untested second-round pick, there's no reason to grab that deal out of desperation.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
You're forgetting the opportunity afforded to OKC with cap space, which they can potentially "rent out" to teams in exchange for assets.

OKC will not gain cap space in '21 by trading CP3. They would need to take matching contracts in any deal. Even if they saved some money in the deal, they would still be over the cap for next year. They might get under the cap in '22 if they took expiring contracts, but I don't see Presti being so unambitious that his long term plan would be to turn the Thunder's payroll into a Superfund site.

Do not know where you are getting your numbers from, Aeneas.

If for instance the Thunder took Green, McGee opt in, Bradley opt in, Kuzma (last year with bird rights for OKC), Cook (1M guaranteed, 3M salary in trade) etc they would have capspace in 2021.

For 2021 offseason

SGA
Kuzma bird rights cap hold
Draft picks on rookie contracts such as:
Ferguson QO or bird rights
Bazeley
Nader
Roby bird rights cap hold
Diallo bird rights cap hold
Burton
etc

All of that does not even make 30-35 M. They will have 1 super max contract space, then a second max, and also ability to use that room and then have the players they want to keep be kept via bird rights.

It is an option, and a major gain by trading CP3 for expiring contracts and some draft picks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Do not know where you are getting your numbers from, Aeneas.

If for instance the Thunder took Green, McGee opt in, Bradley opt in, Kuzma (last year with bird rights for OKC), Cook (1M guaranteed, 3M salary in trade) etc they would have capspace in 2021.

You and I are using terminology differently. When I refer to '21, I mean the season ending in '21 and the payrolls for that season. I don't mean the summer of '21. The summer of '21 would be the beginning of the payroll cycle for the '22 season.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Windhorst:

"I'm betting on a frenzy [once free agency begins], transactions haven't happened since February. These teams have sat for 8 months on things they want to do... the biggest name that could end up getting moved is Chris Paul. I don't see a league shifting move, but I think we're going to see quite a bit of action... I think you'll see a name or two moved that will be interesting. I think you'll see some sign and trades. There's going to be some movement around. Free agency is going on right now. Players, agents, and teams are swapping numbers right now."

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=30220699
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Mike@LG"]
Quote:

If you want to scare teams, and LAL is willing, use the MLE on Harkless, and now we've got 2 PG defenders, 2 wing defenders, and AD as a DPOY candidate.

There's your death lineup.

I badly want Harkless, CP3 or no CP3. He defends well, is young, athletic and is 6-foot-9.

But if we get CP3, how will we fill out our backcourt and get one more serviceable wing who isn't on his last legs, given our limited resources? Who would we realistically get?

I don't really want Matthews. He's not a good or consistent enough 3-point shooter, he's 34 and he doesn't seem to be that good of a defender. RHJ literally can't hit a 3 to save his life.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Get CP3 and let the rest fall in place.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Things don't necessarily fall into place like that. There's a lot of planning and preparation that people like Pelinka do for each scenario to make sure that they will field a team with the right depth and role players. If I had to guess, they probably plan these things out in as detailed and wonky a fashion as accountants or lawyers.

If we trade for CP3, we'll likely need two more guards and two more wings who are quality role players in their 20s or early 30s. Maybe one of them can play both the 2 and the 3, in which case we'd need one more guard and one more wing for a total of 3 quality role players.

That's not even talking about having 2 serviceable centers, who we may be able to sign for the vet min.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Also- the best chance for OKC to get high picks over the next few years is by tanking. Keeping CP on the team will prevent that.

The picks they have coming are from the Clips, Rockets and Heat- none are likely to yield high lotto picks.

They'd be smart to start tanking this year, when fans can't come to the games anyway b/c of the virus.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Things don't necessarily fall into place like that. There's a lot of planning and preparation that people like Pelinka do for each scenario to make sure that they will field a team with the right depth and role players. If I had to guess, they probably plan these things out in as detailed and wonky a fashion as accountants or lawyers.

If we trade for CP3, we'll likely need two more guards and two more wings who are quality role players in their 20s or early 30s. Maybe one of them can play both the 2 and the 3, in which case we'd need one more guard and one more wing for a total of 3 quality role players.

That's not even talking about having 2 serviceable centers, who we may be able to sign for the vet min.

I was being metaphorical. I'm certain that Pelinka and staff aren't just sitting on their thumbs. If they don't have dozens of scenarios gamed out, they're not doing their jobs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 44 of 69
Jump to: