CP3 to Lakers? (Nope -Traded to the Suns)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Yeah, let's get that back to CP3 trade stuff.

For instance, why would OKC make a trade with the Clippers that could help devalue the picks owed to them? Just doesn't make sense here. Two teams they most likely don't trade with are the Clippers and the Heat since OKC's future is wrapped up with their picks.

whether OKC trade with clippers are not, they are still a top team. I don't think the picks change that much. clippers not going fall off to bottom
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

For instance, why would OKC make a trade with the Clippers that could help devalue the picks owed to them? Just doesn't make sense here. Two teams they most likely don't trade with are the Clippers and the Heat since OKC's future is wrapped up with their picks.

whether OKC trade with clippers are not, they are still a top team. I don't think the picks change that much. clippers not going fall off to bottom

Lol there’s no way the clippers can get anyone through trade. All of their tradable assets are in okc why would okc want their scraps too?
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Rondo is also very injury prone. Seems like he breaks his hand every year and misses a couple months.

And at a savings of 75 Million too.

#BannersOverBillboards
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject:

Ya also breaking your hand is not the same as the knee issues Paul has

Breaking a hand? You lose some time but you can stay in shape and you come back fully healthy and without losing a step

Paul has had nagging lower body stuff for years

Not all injuries are equal.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Doubt OKC eats 60-70M of CP3 deal for him to play else where either. Would bet money they wouldn’t.

I agree it's a lot. But they're modestly above the salary floor next year and $35M+ below it the following year even with Paul's full salary. They're in the teardown phase of a rebuild and a significant short term buyout figure allows them to be bad at the right time (no fans, good upcoming drafts) without taking on any long term deals. Of course you would rather just have the space, but that's not really on the table. There aren't a lot of ways to meet the floor while trying to be bad, unless you just cut a check, which is the same as the buyout.

In a roundabout way, fortifying the Lakers could help improve their draft assets from the Clippers.

Why not just trade for lakers expirings, got urself Kuzma and #28

Because there are better returns than Kuzma and #28.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:

Breaking a hand? You lose some time but you can stay in shape and you come back fully healthy and without losing a step

And Paul hasn’t been injured in a couple of years.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Doubt OKC eats 60-70M of CP3 deal for him to play else where either. Would bet money they wouldn’t.

I agree it's a lot. But they're modestly above the salary floor next year and $35M+ below it the following year even with Paul's full salary. They're in the teardown phase of a rebuild and a significant short term buyout figure allows them to be bad at the right time (no fans, good upcoming drafts) without taking on any long term deals. Of course you would rather just have the space, but that's not really on the table. There aren't a lot of ways to meet the floor while trying to be bad, unless you just cut a check, which is the same as the buyout.

In a roundabout way, fortifying the Lakers could help improve their draft assets from the Clippers.

like what? genuinely curious, what do you think other contenders (prob only contenders benefit from CP3 with his contract, maybe crazy knicks) can offer next to their expirings?
Dallas wants to wait for 2021, Toronto has Lowry, Heat wants 2021 Giannis, Boston has Kemba, Nuggs has Jamal, Blazer has Dame$, Houston lol...
Bucks?
Clippers?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

like what? genuinely curious, what do you think other contenders (prob only contenders benefit from CP3 with his contract, maybe crazy knicks) can offer next to their expirings?
Dallas wants to wait for 2021, Toronto has Lowry, Heat wants 2021 Giannis, Boston has Kemba, Nuggs has Jamal, Blazer has Dame$, Houston lol...
Bucks?
Clippers?

like delusional S&T Montrez
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Kuzma and #28 is not a bad return for a player you don't even want on your team. I don't think many teams will offer more for Paul.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

cp3 is still a great player and would become the primary ball handler on the Lakers, taking load off Lebron. Rondo would be back-up and they would be good teammates. Kuz should play out his final year as he is likely to go bonkers for that next contract.

All that can happen if cp3 is bought out. Otherwise, cp3 is unaffordable.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Things can change fast in NBA including injuries. Both their stars have player options next summer. Lakers went from making playoffs every year to lottery in a season when Kobe had Achilles injury and Dwight left. PG 13 probably leaves due to all the bullying if Clippers fail again. 😂 You hype up Clippers as Championship favourites again next season, but PG 13 is a weak #2 and chemistry issues matter.
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LastStand 2.0 wrote:

He’s a 36 year old small guard who is missing a meniscus in one of his knees. History doesn’t speak kindly to those players
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LastStand 2.0 wrote:

He’s a 36 year old small guard who is missing a meniscus in one of his knees. History doesn’t speak kindly to those players

CP3 is a high risk high reward so losing him means we have little chance of repeating with no depth. Not in Rondo case, if he gets injured, we still have a chance. If everything goes accordingly, we do have better chance with CP3 and also able to preserved Lebron. But if not and we got that annual CP3 nagging injury then yikes because CP3 will also pick up that option regardless. I dunno if we’re the team that suppose to take that risk because we already won it and dominated actually. But CP3 is game changer , so if we keep Kuz and Caruso doing it then why not , roll the dice.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I keep seeing the depth narrative being used to negate a potential Cp3 deal.

So what we know now is that Green was hampered with injuries in the playoffs after a 5 month work hiatus. He played the least amount of minutes per since the 2013/14 season and for his career he has never avg close to 30 mins per. Meanwhile Kcp is just about a 30min per player for his career.

Those 4 round out our highest paid players and with the exception of Kcp, you need cap space to bring those guys to the table.

Meanwhile exceptions and near vet min deals rounded out the rest of our “depth”. McGee is an asthmatic and plays better on high energy low minutes. AC was a D-leaguer, Kuz and THT are still on their rookie deals and didn’t see ridiculous time on the court, Cook played sparingly, Boogie never played at all and Dudz probably shouldn’t have either haha. Kieff came in midseason while Rondo didn’t even really bother and came in during the playoffs. Even Dwight didn’t get the minutes he’s used to seeing. AvBrad had a career low in minutes since his sophomore season and was a no show to finish off the season.

Our regular season depth was a mixed bag with Bron/AD doing the heavy lifting. In the playoffs, it was guys on near minimum deals like Rondo, Dwight, Kieff and AC that came to play above their heads for us. Green’s defense was good, but other than that he was MIA. Kcp balled out at less than the ntpMLE amount. Then there were all our vet min guys like Jr and Waiters that barely played at all.

So if this the “depth” we’re reaching for, you don’t need cap space for it. You need to bring a collective of vet mins in. Cp3’s huge deal at 32mpg doesn’t really get in the way in that regard. If Deng is off the books we get the ntpMLE and BAE to use without hitting the apron and we’d have to round out the rest of the roster with vet min guys. I mean that tactic helped us with our depth last year, so why y’all so concerned with Cp3 hurting it this year?

Now if it also costs us AC and THT, I can see the problem with that, but Cp3 probably does more fit this squad than Green/Kuz can do and Kcp at or near the ntpMLE is good value and if he’s part of the deal then there are other options out their for 9.4m...so how we sacrificing depth again?
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I keep seeing people trying to justify tearing a championship team apart to take on a contract for EIGHTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS for a PG who has never won (bleep), cant play D anymore, is a 36 years old, would kill any chance at the 21 FA market, and...

Would become our highest paid player above Bron and AD.

CP3 on an MLE...maybe, but I'd rather have Dwight or Morris or both.

CP3 via trade...

#BannersOverBillboards
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I get why you’re into Rondo...I really do...

https://tbake11.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/rondo-turtle.jpg

You got a think for turtles. Hey, you do you boo boo, but I don’t think it’s wise to run it back with a playmaking tandem of BronDo through the rigmarole of the regular season, unless of course you want to run it into the ground. Give Bron that juice for the postseason and let ‘Do coast in the regular season and we’ll once again see that playoff magic again. But you gotta bring those guys the playmakers/ball handlers that can help out with the load so we can blitz the opposition when the calendar really matters.

I’m sure Bron can broker a truce between Cliff and Franklin anyways...no worries.

Btw, you’re paying attention to the wrong numbers...we talking about EIGHTEEN TITLES!
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
I keep seeing people trying to justify tearing a championship team apart to take on a contract for EIGHTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS for a PG who has never won (bleep)

I blame Doc Rivers & a bad hammy in 2018 for that

Quote:
cant play D anymore, is a 36 years old

He played good D last season? OKC was tough, and with reduced ball-handling responsibilities...

36 years old: check.

Quote:
would kill any chance at the 21 FA market, and

let's be honest: the 21 market will be a dud. I don't expect Giannis to come and who knows where Kawhi ends up. However, it's fair to assume that even just filling out the roster with a bunch of 10m players will be out of the question when you have ONE player making 40m.

Quote:

Really don't think either would care. They'll have another 4-year deal waiting for them, whenever they want from the Lakers, even if its to the team's detriment.

I wouldn't gut the team for him either but that scenario with DG & a sign-and-traded KCP wouldn't be COMPLETELY out of the question for me. I'd hold out for Jrue in 2021 but wouldn't hate the deal like I hated the trade for Nash.
2022 - New Orleans
2023 - Own or New Orleans' Pick
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
I keep seeing people trying to justify tearing a championship team apart to take on a contract for EIGHTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS for a PG who has never won (bleep), cant play D anymore, is a 36 years old, would kill any chance at the 21 FA market, and...

CP3 via trade...

Standing still is no longer a recipe for success . . . nor is it feasible.

Our competitors are/will be working hard to fill their holes, meanwhile:

The Lakers have 10 (TEN) FREE AGENTS THIS SUMMER (counting opt-outs).

Everyone's not going to come back, so there'll be a fair amount of shuffling the deck, regardless of whether we pursue CP3 or not.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Analysts expect Chris Paul will be traded by OKC this off season:

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2020/10/20/espn-predicts-oklahoma-city-thunder-will-trade-point-guard-chris-paul/

Quote:
The general consensus is that Oklahoma City is embarking on a rebuilding phase:

The Thunder parted ways with head coach Billy Donovan last month, signaling what could be the beginning of a full rebuild in Oklahoma City. Will All-Star point guard Chris Paul be the first domino to fall?
With trade value despite an enormous salary, Paul makes sense as a trade candidate. However, that salary could hold back potential suitors from even pursuing the star.

Paul’s contract might play a part in why a handful of other panelists think CP3 will remain in a Thunder uniform next season. Paul is owed more than $41 million in 2020-21 and more than $44 million in 2021-22, which makes him one of the most difficult-to-trade players in the league.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
I keep seeing the depth narrative being used to negate a potential Cp3 deal.

So what we know now is that Green was hampered with injuries in the playoffs after a 5 month work hiatus. He played the least amount of minutes per since the 2013/14 season and for his career he has never avg close to 30 mins per. Meanwhile Kcp is just about a 30min per player for his career.

Those 4 round out our highest paid players and with the exception of Kcp, you need cap space to bring those guys to the table.

Meanwhile exceptions and near vet min deals rounded out the rest of our “depth”. McGee is an asthmatic and plays better on high energy low minutes. AC was a D-leaguer, Kuz and THT are still on their rookie deals and didn’t see ridiculous time on the court, Cook played sparingly, Boogie never played at all and Dudz probably shouldn’t have either haha. Kieff came in midseason while Rondo didn’t even really bother and came in during the playoffs. Even Dwight didn’t get the minutes he’s used to seeing. AvBrad had a career low in minutes since his sophomore season and was a no show to finish off the season.

Our regular season depth was a mixed bag with Bron/AD doing the heavy lifting. In the playoffs, it was guys on near minimum deals like Rondo, Dwight, Kieff and AC that came to play above their heads for us. Green’s defense was good, but other than that he was MIA. Kcp balled out at less than the ntpMLE amount. Then there were all our vet min guys like Jr and Waiters that barely played at all.

So if this the “depth” we’re reaching for, you don’t need cap space for it. You need to bring a collective of vet mins in. Cp3’s huge deal at 32mpg doesn’t really get in the way in that regard. If Deng is off the books we get the ntpMLE and BAE to use without hitting the apron and we’d have to round out the rest of the roster with vet min guys. I mean that tactic helped us with our depth last year, so why y’all so concerned with Cp3 hurting it this year?

Now if it also costs us AC and THT, I can see the problem with that, but Cp3 probably does more fit this squad than Green/Kuz can do and Kcp at or near the ntpMLE is good value and if he’s part of the deal then there are other options out their for 9.4m...so how we sacrificing depth again?

Pretty much this. When you have 2 of the top 5 players in the entire NBA the pool of vet min guys suddenly increase dramatically since they see both Championship potential and possibly big minutes. If you have a chance to get CP3 (which btw lines up flawlessly with Lebron's contract since 2021 was/is extremely unlikely to be successful anyways). You get a 2 year window where we're suddenly legit cemented favorites against anyone and when those 2 years are up we have endless options for that 2022 off season to do whats best for AD's future.

People bringing up Rondo, as much as i'll always love the guy for what he has done he is not in the same stratosphere as CP3 outside of maybe bbiq. Lebron, AD and CP3 all can take it somewhat easy in the regular season and if a guy gets a small injury you sit them and take no chances to make sure there ready for the Playoffs. Even in the Playoffs, both Lebron and AD were managed greatly by Vogel to not play a ton of minutes like most superstars need/have to for there team to have success.

I don't really care how much money he makes, that's irrelevant to me since it's only 2 years and lines up with like I said Lebron's contract so we'd have to just punt that tiny possibility we could hit the 2021 free agency onto 2022 where any scenarios are much more likely imo.

I will say if they want more then a single pick, kuzma and filler then move on though. I don't think it's worth it when you start giving up much more then that considering there's maybe 2-3 other teams at most we'd be going against where everyone involved would agree to it.

We will def. lose a few guys obviously in free agency but we don't need much and there will be several guys we get to start the season and i'm sure another solid get or two as a buyout since we'll be one of if not the top destination for most of them next season.

We're in a great position though where if they try to gouge for anything extra we simply hang up the phone and keep as much of the current roster together as we can while adding a few new solid pieces. Win, win for the Lakers but i'd love to see CP3 in purple and gold regardless of his age or bloated contract.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject:

kobe_somebody_odom wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Kuzma and #28 is not a bad return for a player you don't even want on your team. I don't think many teams will offer more for Paul.

So now OKC doesn’t want CP3 on their team? How the story changes! Wiggins and #2 is a better return. Wiggins would be an ending contract after next season and they wouldn’t have to re-sign Kuzma. Plus Wiggins has much more potential than Kuzma. I expect to see Paul remaining a Thunder and helping the team to the playoffs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

There is no one associated with the NBA that would agree with that idea. Not even Howard or Morris.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject:

CP3 will likely be traded this offseason. With Billy Donovan leaving the Thunder they will be going into rebuild mode.
romanaztec
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Analysts expect Chris Paul will be traded by OKC this off season:

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2020/10/20/espn-predicts-oklahoma-city-thunder-will-trade-point-guard-chris-paul/

Quote:
The general consensus is that Oklahoma City is embarking on a rebuilding phase:

The Thunder parted ways with head coach Billy Donovan last month, signaling what could be the beginning of a full rebuild in Oklahoma City. Will All-Star point guard Chris Paul be the first domino to fall?
With trade value despite an enormous salary, Paul makes sense as a trade candidate. However, that salary could hold back potential suitors from even pursuing the star.

Paul’s contract might play a part in why a handful of other panelists think CP3 will remain in a Thunder uniform next season. Paul is owed more than $41 million in 2020-21 and more than $44 million in 2021-22, which makes him one of the most difficult-to-trade players in the league.

That's cool. As long as it's not to the Lakers.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

He's getting traded. My money would be to Milwaukee.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 28 of 69
Jump to: