CP3 to Lakers? (Nope -Traded to the Suns)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

What is AD going to do, sign with Atlanta? I think that he is smart enough to know that they are withholding 40% of his salary because of something important. And that his only Finals was a ratings bomb. Revenue is the driving force and there is little of it to go around. The players are feeling the hit as much as the owners are.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
What is AD going to do, sign with Atlanta? I think that he is smart enough to know that they are withholding 40% of his salary because of something important. And that his only Finals was a ratings bomb. Revenue is the driving force and there is little of it to go around. The players are feeling the hit as much as the owners are.

Lakers are really going to enter into negotiations with AD/Klutch with that argument?

Sorry Jerry Krause.

AD could say he will opt in and then possibly leave with LBJ the next season. You want that blood on your hands as a franchise? heck no.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Time will tell.

I don't understand the comparison to history when every sport hasn't dealt with a contagious virus to this magnitude.

If you're getting capacity crowds as expected, then I would believe it.

When do you think the Lakers will actually have capacity fans in Staples?

I'm guessing 2 years, earliest. How much revenue lost there?

If the NBA thinks it can't have capacity crowds at indoor games, there will be hardwood floors set up in a football/baseball stadium for parts of next season. No way the owners take this lying down.

If there were courts set up in Miami, Tampa, and Orlando, say in March-April, fans could travel to these cities and attend games at college and pro stadiums. South Florida's flu season tapers off in March, and fans would sign waivers. Their state governor would be interested in this, I'm sure. Up to 20,000 could attend a game, but the sight lines would be iffy.

Limited luxury tax relief will likely come under consideration. Some owners would welcome the atrittion, but the NBA doesn't want any owners to sell low on their teams, franchise values would drop. Chinese viewership will boost revenues a bit next year, and TV ratings will improve with many top players returning from injury. Competing with summer baseball is far easier than overlapping with fall football and the MLB playoffs, the NBA never had a chance. No fans at games also hurt viewership, as did the lack of home arenas.

Another thing to consider...the Warriors would be absolutely crushed if the luxury tax kicks in at $130M, not good for the league to torpedo a franchise who made five straight finals. Maybe each franchise over the luxury tax level coming into the year will keep last season's projected luxury tax boundary of 139 million, of course that doesn't help the Lakers (perhaps teams over the cap would be given a few million more of wiggle room). It would be an awful business practice to penalize teams tens of millions more than they originally expected just for being successful and willing to spend more to elevate the league, all because of a temporary loss in revenue.
13thOverallPick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Time will tell.

I don't understand the comparison to history when every sport hasn't dealt with a contagious virus to this magnitude.

If the NBA thinks it can't have capacity crowds at indoor games, there will be hardwood floors set up in a football/baseball stadium for parts of next season. No way the owners take this lying down.

If there were courts set up in Miami, Tampa, and Orlando, say in March-April, fans could travel to these cities and attend games at college and pro stadiums. South Florida's flu season tapers off in March, and fans would sign waivers. Their state governor would be interested in this, I'm sure. Up to 20,000 could attend a game, but the sight lines would be iffy.

Limited luxury tax relief will likely come under consideration. Some owners would welcome the atrittion, but the NBA doesn't want any owners to sell low on their teams, franchise values would drop. Chinese viewership will boost revenues a bit next year, and TV ratings will improve with many top players returning from injury. Competing with summer baseball is far easier than overlapping with fall football and the MLB playoffs, the NBA never had a chance. No fans at games also hurt viewership, as did the lack of home arenas.

Another thing to consider...the Warriors would be absolutely crushed if the luxury tax kicks in at $130M, not good for the league to torpedo a franchise who made five straight finals. Maybe each franchise over the luxury tax level coming into the year will keep last season's projected luxury tax boundary of 139 million, of course that doesn't help the Lakers (perhaps teams over the cap would be given a few million more of wiggle room). It would be an awful business practice to penalize teams tens of millions more than they originally expected just for being successful and willing to spend more to elevate the league, all because of a temporary loss in revenue.

Good luck playing in humid court out there in Florida. You saw how bad it was already indoor.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject:

The Buss children combined have a net worth of around 1.5 billion. Jeanie herself is worth 500 million.

I don’t think they are worried too much.
Probably more worried just about the current state of the Nation moreso their family business,
The World Champion Los Angeles Lakers.

Maybe they will consider selling the team now if the fiscal benefits aren’t satisfying enough alongside the Championships?
The team is worth anywhere from 4-5 billion.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They have never lost $53 mil before. That is almost $6 mil per Buss kid. They are going to pay luxury tax on losing another $25-30 mil? I don’t think that you have a good grasp on the owner finances.

A clarification.

The report was not that the Lakers lost $53 million. The report was that their revenue was down $53 million--revenue does not equal profit. Expenses were probably down a bit last year as well. The Buss kids may have still made money last year just not as much as in previous years.

Link to an explanation of the difference between profit and revenue.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

[quote="Laker_Dynasty_01"]
Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Time will tell.

Quote:

Really? Do you know how bad the experience is with a basketball game in a football stadium? NCAA Finals game were held like this and shooting was awful with depth perception and the fans were squinting.

The only part that makes sense is basically doing "baseball travel" in the NBA and having a Texas trip, NY trip, etc. But, you really think they'll get capacity crowds there too? Baseball players and Football players are/were getting covid.

Only the NBA didn't spread it in the bubble. They're more strict about it.

Quote:

My prediction is based on how the US is handling C19. In New Zealand, they can actually pack 46,000 in the fans, because that country, and people, responded better as a whole. Meanwhile, the US is respiking while people are getting restless. How long do you think it takes to come back down from this wave?

Quote:

NCAA tournaments already cancelled in Orlando today because an agreement couldn't be made. NCAA bball hoop teams revenue, already a big drop.

C19 doesn't care about NBA franchises cost.

So back to the original point. Why would we base the idea that LAL is so willing to pay luxury tax on a player when overall revenue, and likely team cap and luxury cap lines, are expected to drop? You really think LA ownership is so willing to pay $20mil to Jerami Grant when he's a $10mil MLE contract type if he signed with LA? And then just spread that extra $10mil to the rest of the league for free?

Why would they spend that money ahead of time with (currently) little to no hope of getting people into Staples? Forget capacity crowds, how full are baseball stadiums and football stadiums right now? Fractions of a capacity. Still taking losses.

Didn't LAL already lose the most money just from the bubble alone?

Quote:
The Lakers missed out on revenue from 10 home games, tied for the most in the league, which cost the franchise an estimated $52.7MM.

How do you suppose they try to make up that deficit, which they're already starting with, prior to next season starting?

That's almost half of the total profit they made in 2017. Imagine how much more they have to absorb this upcoming season.\

$5+mil a home game. Let's say you bring in a percentage crowd and bring in $2mil for 35 games (possible shortened season). So, $70mil projection vs. $205?

That's quite a discrepancy.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Lakers are really going to enter into negotiations with AD/Klutch with that argument?

Sorry Jerry Krause.

AD could say he will opt in and then possibly leave with LBJ the next season. You want that blood on your hands as a franchise? heck no.

The Lakers will have no issue re-signing AD, they will give him what he wants. It is paying tax on a MLE player where they might balk. Hopefully they smooth the cap hit and it won’t matter.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
The Lakers missed out on revenue from 10 home games, tied for the most in the league, which cost the franchise an estimated $52.7MM.

How do you suppose they try to make up that deficit, which they're already starting with, prior to next season starting?

That's almost half of the total profit they made in 2017. Imagine how much more they have to absorb this upcoming season.\

$5+mil a home game. Let's say you bring in a percentage crowd and bring in $2mil for 35 games (possible shortened season). So, $70mil projection vs. $205?

Do the Lakers have to make a certain amount per year? As annihilator pointed out, lost revenue isn't the same as being in the red. Even if the team lost $25 million on the year, what sense does it make to let players go after they helped win a title, all the while trying to keep AD here? If the Lakers lose AD and LeBron in a year, the Buss family stands to lose a lot more than $50 million in potential profit going forward. They would be on par with Wayne Huizenga, letting another championship team decay into obscurity because of shortsightedness over a few extra million. Not paying a luxury tax while the Warriors went above and beyond to stay relevant last year would not fly in LA, that's better advertising for Ballmer than even he can buy.

Our exceptions will be used to keep this team mostly intact. Bradley is likely leaving, so are Morris and McGee. Gotta try to keep KCP, Dwight, and Rondo, luxury tax be damned. Waiters would be nice to manage the load. If the Lakers go 10 million over the luxury tax line, and had to pay dollar-for-dollar next year, it's still worth it. LeBron left Miami in part because Mike Miller was amnestied and the bench was depleted by 2014...with our draft situation we have to go all out.

Cook would probably be cut if Rondo returns, helping the tax bill a little, and it's probably best for both parties.

Quote:
NCAA tournaments already cancelled in Orlando today because an agreement couldn't be made. NCAA bball hoop teams revenue, already a big drop.

Those were next month, during the start of flu season in earnest.

This would be outdoors in March/April and in Florida, so the biggest problem might be cramping in April. Coronavirus doesn't travel well in humidity, and their governor has already showed how much he cares about Covid. But forget that idea, if other countries are doing well during "winter" in the Southern Hemisphere, don't rule out games indoors in countries like Brazil, Australia, Argentina, and South Africa. The FDA may not approve the vaccine that has already shown effectiveness, but many other nations will. And it's not even flu season south of the equator.

If the owners need to fill seats to make money next year, they will get those seats filled, or not have a season at all. The Lakers will play in front of fans, whether they're the LA, Louisville, or Buenos Aires Lakers.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Only difference here is LBJ/AD are Klutch. If Lakers penny pinch, AD can threaten to bounce. The Klutch factor may keep the Buss kids from cheapening out. I like the pressure that Klutch puts on this team's FO.

Then you call AD’s bluff. He doesn’t want to leave and there isn’t much of a market for him. He has already lost money by becoming a Laker and will get less going forward due to the cap drop. If I’m him I would be reconsidering Klutch, not the Lakers.

Whoa, this is exactly like the Orl-Shaq ‘96 debacle on Jeff Pearlmen three ring circus
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Sorry Jerry Krause.

The Lakers will have no issue re-signing AD, they will give him what he wants. It is paying tax on a MLE player where they might lose balk. Hopefully they smooth the cap hit and it won’t matter.

Are they close to the luxury tax line yet? They just won a championship without paying the luxury tax. First team in a long time to do that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Only difference here is LBJ/AD are Klutch. If Lakers penny pinch, AD can threaten to bounce. The Klutch factor may keep the Buss kids from cheapening out. I like the pressure that Klutch puts on this team's FO.

Then you call AD’s bluff. He doesn’t want to leave and there isn’t much of a market for him. He has already lost money by becoming a Laker and will get less going forward due to the cap drop. If I’m him I would be reconsidering Klutch, not the Lakers.

Whoa, this is exactly like the Orl-Shaq ‘96 debacle on Jeff Pearlmen three ring circus

Unlike that we can pay more than any other team and AD wants to be here.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Sorry Jerry Krause.

The Lakers will have no issue re-signing AD, they will give him what he wants. It is paying tax on a MLE player where they might lose balk. Hopefully they smooth the cap hit and it won’t matter.

Are they close to the luxury tax line yet? They just won a championship without paying the luxury tax. First team in a long time to do that.

It depends on what they do with all their option players. They are talking about the tax line being $132 mil and the apron at $128 mil. If everyone opts in with the only raise being AD we will be at around $124 mil. We will know more once the numbers are announced. As I posted before, hopefully the cap stays at $109 mil.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Do the Lakers have to make a certain amount per year? As annihilator pointed out, lost revenue isn't the same as being in the red. Even if the team lost $25 million on the year, what sense does it make to let players go after they helped win a title, all the while trying to keep AD here? If the Lakers lose AD and LeBron in a year, the Buss family stands to lose a lot more than $50 million in potential profit going forward. They would be on par with Wayne Huizenga, letting another championship team decay into obscurity because of shortsightedness over a few extra million. Not paying a luxury tax while the Warriors went above and beyond to stay relevant last year would not fly in LA, that's better advertising for Ballmer than even he can buy.

Our exceptions will be used to keep this team mostly intact. Bradley is likely leaving, so are Morris and McGee. Gotta try to keep KCP, Dwight, and Rondo, luxury tax be damned. Waiters would be nice to manage the load. If the Lakers go 10 million over the luxury tax line, and had to pay dollar-for-dollar next year, it's still worth it. LeBron left Miami in part because Mike Miller was amnestied and the bench was depleted by 2014...with our draft situation we have to go all out.

Cook would probably be cut if Rondo returns, helping the tax bill a little, and it's probably best for both parties.

Quote:

Those were next month, during the start of flu season in earnest.

This would be outdoors in March/April and in Florida, so the biggest problem might be cramping in April. Coronavirus doesn't travel well in humidity, and their governor has already showed how much he cares about Covid. But forget that idea, if other countries are doing well during "winter" in the Southern Hemisphere, don't rule out games indoors in countries like Brazil, Australia, Argentina, and South Africa. The FDA may not approve the vaccine that has already shown effectiveness, but many other nations will. And it's not even flu season south of the equator.

If the owners need to fill seats to make money next year, they will get those seats filled, or not have a season at all. The Lakers will play in front of fans, whether they're the LA, Louisville, or Buenos Aires Lakers.

TV contracts. Do you have to fill the seats? Probably not. But man, not televising and losing ad revenue?

Woof.

Cancel the season and it's possible the cap gets way worse.

All I'm saying is, don't be surprised if NBA owners aren't so free to give MLE/BAE money when they may already be in luxury tax territory.

Why on earth would an NBA owner be so willing to accept a revenue value that gets even near the red? All I did was point out that the deficit already started just by playing in the bubble, on a shortened season.

The weather alone isn't going to fix it.

We can't even guarantee player safety from covid yet. Nothing has been agreed upon. Just because it's a billionaire family, doesn't mean they won't do what it takes to protect it. An MLE player isn't going to. Neither is a BAE player.

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers have been rolling in revenue for years without having to pay the tax despite being one of the top grossing teams. No way we cheap out now when another championship could be on the line.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject:

If we have a safe and really effective vaccine by, say, March or April, do you guys think that they'll start to gradually allow vaccinated fans into NBA arenas? Not suddenly at capacity, of course, but little by little?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
If we have a safe and really effective vaccine by, say, March or April, do you guys think that they'll start to gradually allow vaccinated fans into NBA arenas? Not suddenly at capacity, of course, but little by little?

I am sure that some States will allow limited fans on December 22. I am also sure that the last state to allow fans will be California.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject:

[If not out of this website altogether, keep idiotic arguments against COVID prevention out of this thread - LS]

#BannersOverBillboards
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

This thread is about Chris Paul. Lets get back to talking about him. If you talk about COVID conspiracies or politics in this thread, you will be suspended.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Co-sign. I love it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Sorry Jerry Krause.

The person you were arguing with thinks Lebron did not come to LA to wiin, only retire and make movies. Then he suggests last year that AD is best served signing with Dallas as he will not win with Bron in LA.

So now him saying to penny pinch with AD and klutch. should hardly be a shocker. If there is one thing we are sure of, it is that Charles Barkley and VLF will make so many outlandish comments about the Lakers, that we all can just have a good laugh about, after.

As to the Lakers plan, I would guess they will offer high annual raises to their FAs and gage the interest of other FAs. If they can sometimes upgrade, they likely do that. I think the strongest likely casualty is Morris, as the Lakers may not be able to use their full MLE. So instead they may sign Cousins, get on Kuzma to give more minutes, and look for a vet min stretch big. One thing about this team they are not afraid to make small moves to help the team get better. We signed Dwight much later into FA. We signed Caruso when few outside of LA thought much of him or believed he would be a backup (let alone a starter in a NBA Finals game). We signed Morris into the season. We signed Waiters, after waiving Cousins. We waived Daniels. We signed JR Smith. Etc

Pelinka will make moves, and just keep at it. The main thing is to lose too many of your own FAs, because that will be hard to replace in times like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
They have never lost $53 mil before. That is almost $6 mil per Buss kid. They are going to pay luxury tax on losing another $25-30 mil? I don’t think that you have a good grasp on the owner finances.

A clarification.

The report was not that the Lakers lost $53 million. The report was that their revenue was down $53 million--revenue does not equal profit. Expenses were probably down a bit last year as well. The Buss kids may have still made money last year just not as much as in previous years.

Link to an explanation of the difference between profit and revenue.

True. IIRC, Lakers' revenue typically runs well north of $300 million annually. Along with the revenue drop there was an expenses drop. The "tell" will be whether the Lakers still have to kick in to the revenue sharing pool. I believe the Lakers & Knicks ALWAYS have to pay into the pool and can NEVER draw from the pool, regardless of what kind of year they have. $53 million also sounds like it's less than what they pay in revenue sharing.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lakers have been rolling in revenue for years without having to pay the tax despite being one of the top grossing teams. No way we cheap out now when another championship could be on the line.

We literally did this multiple times during peak championship seasons from 2000+ with Shaq and Kobe dominating merchandising. We didn't keep Elden Campbell and Eddie Jones and kept Rice to cut salary, then cut more for Horace Grant, then let his contract expire. We didn't even pay Brian Shaw $2.25mil after his initial year for the 2000 championship, and then Shaw got away from the team and went fishing for a bit. $2.25mil. That's more than double of what his last 2 years at LAL were.

Do you remember who LAL got? Samaki Walker.

How many times do you think LAL used the MLE to add more firepower during championship years?

Just because they were grossly profitable, especially during those years, doesn't mean they were so easily willing to use the MLE every year, even back then. They didn't even maximize the draft, which IMHO ruins depth, and forced guys to play even longer minutes than they had to, and also shorten the championship window. The Spurs at least did that part correctly, and their championship window lasted twice as long. Not 2000-2005. The entire decade.

All of that being said, I would love for LAL to continue their history of rewarding the players and being about them. But it's not like LAL hasn't played the game fairly compared to other teams by staying under the luxury tax.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject:

I honestly think LBJ/Klutch is a different factor in holding this ownership group accountable to keep on spending.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject:

There is one thing I have learned about the Lakers is that they take care of their superstars. There's no way they will cheap out on Anthony Davis. Goodwill is fostered when a franchise does this and that's part of the reason why the Lakers are where they are at.

Think about this, the team just won a championship after a 10 year drought. Many franchises will kill to have that kind of success. This is also why the Celtics have had trouble attracting superstar talent due to the way they have treated their stars, ie. Garnett, etc.

Lakers should continue to do what they are doing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 39 of 69
Jump to: