2021 or 2022 Plan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which free agency (2021 or 2022) should the Lakers prioritize?
37%
 37%  [ 14 ]
62%
 62%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 37

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: 2021 or 2022 Plan?

2020: Mission accomplished.

Now as we look to the future, it seems we are at a divide as to whether we should pursue a max FA in 2021 (Giannis/DIPO are headliners, but Jrue is my real target) or a max FA in 2022 (Beal, lots of older FAs like Steph, Harden, Kawhi, PG13).

It's probably not a binary choice, but which free agency offseason would you prioritize?
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject:

We won't have cap space in 2021 for another superstar so I guess we only have 2022 as a real option.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject:

Personally, my key realistic target is Jrue Holiday in 2021. Really checks off everything I want in a 3rd guy next to AD/LBJ. If that's not possible, then 2022 is the more ideal plan for me.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject:

2021 - go all in on Giannis.

Basketball is still a simple game and works best played inside-out.

Giannis & AD (with a thug big off the bench) will be incredibly easy to build around, because skilled, cheap smalls are much more available than skilled, cheap bigs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject:

The issue with 2021 is that it would require the Lakers to basically strip everything down, and LBJ would have to take a sizeable paycut. Not sure those possibilities are realistic.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject:

The Giannis ship has sailed
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

An Antetokounmpo brother has already won a ring as a Laker.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

I appreciate the question, but you're asking it too early. If Giannis extends, that changes everything. I don't think that will happen, but none of us know Giannis' thinking. There are rumors that he does not intend to follow Lebron's lead and hop teams. The supermax is an awful lot of money. We shall see. If he is off the table, that lowers the ceiling for the 2021 free agent market.

Second, I want to see how Lebron holds up next year. If he is still running strong, then sure, I can see your reasoning for wanting Jrue. He'd be a good addition to milk one last run out of Lebron. But if Lebron is starting to slip, or if Lebron is picking up injuries, or both, it's time to pivot. In that case, I wouldn't chase any of the fading stars like Curry and Harden in 2022. Beal is the only guy you named who would be under 30. I am not sure how well Beal's game would translate to a contender (as opposed to a bad team), but he'd be an intriguing complimentary piece for Davis going forward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I appreciate the question, but you're asking it too early. If Giannis extends, that changes everything. I don't think that will happen, but none of us know Giannis' thinking. There are rumors that he does not intend to follow Lebron's lead and hop teams. The supermax is an awful lot of money. We shall see. If he is off the table, that lowers the ceiling for the 2021 free agent market.

Second, I want to see how Lebron holds up next year. If he is still running strong, then sure, I can see your reasoning for wanting Jrue. He'd be a good addition to milk one last run out of Lebron. But if Lebron is starting to slip, or if Lebron is picking up injuries, or both, it's time to pivot. In that case, I wouldn't chase any of the fading stars like Curry and Harden in 2022. Beal is the only guy you named who would be under 30. I am not sure how well Beal's game would translate to a contender (as opposed to a bad team), but he'd be an intriguing complimentary piece for Davis going forward.

Yup. But I think this is a question our FO is pondering right now considering all the players we may need to re-sign, and possibly use of the full MLE. Will 1 year deals suffice? Or will it take 2 year deals to entice players (not on team options)?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
danzag wrote:

An Antetokounmpo brother has already won a ring as a Laker.

The only Antetokounmpo to ever win a ring.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject:

None of the above, those seasons are our current window, try to win instead of worrying about another dream scenario.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

Next year is our best chance to add #18 ahead of the C's. Bron isn't getting any younger, Klay will be on his 1st season back from a major injury, same with KD, Clips are losing some pieces and Giannis will still be on the Bucks. Going all-in next season isn't a bad idea.

We should give ourselves the best chance to win next year and not handicap our decision making by trying to position ourselves for 2021. We shouldn't limit ourselves and only look to trade for or sign players that would be off the books by 2021. It would be like waiting for Kawhi to make his decision all over again while we watch free agents get snatched by other teams.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yup. But I think this is a question our FO is pondering right now considering all the players we may need to re-sign, and possibly use of the full MLE. Will 1 year deals suffice? Or will it take 2 year deals to entice players (not on team options)?

I agree. In the context of this year’s pseudo-summer, Pelinka will need to make some educated guesses. The CBA is a wild card here. Until the last couple days, it wasn’t even on my radar that it could be modified or even scrapped. If the rules change, even in respects that are minor, it could have an effect on our options.
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Next year is our best chance to add #18 ahead of the C's. Bron isn't getting any younger, Klay will be on his 1st season back from a major injury, same with KD, Clips are losing some pieces and Giannis will still be on the Bucks. Going all-in next season isn't a bad idea.

We should give ourselves the best chance to win next year and not handicap our decision making by trying to position ourselves for 2021. We shouldn't limit ourselves and only look to trade for or sign players that would be off the books by 2021. It would be like waiting for Kawhi to make his decision all over again while we watch free agents get snatched by other teams.

This is the answer
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:

kobe_somebody_odom wrote:
3baller wrote:

This is the answer

Not to mention that we've seen the past few seasons on almost all teams that signed mid level players signed on long term contracts, they are good trade assets
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

Depends on AD's new contract
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject:

Neither. There are no certainties regarding the pandemic, cap figures, and the worth of our own free agents heading into either summer. What is certain is that we have a championship-caliber squad, we are tied with the Celtics, and Lebron is getting older. Give the older guys like Rondo and Dwight 2-year deals and don't be shy about giving KCP or any other young and worthy free agent a longer deal.

Yes we risk bottoming out by going all in now but it's also been shown how quickly we can bounce back by leveraging our brand, history, and now our ties to Klutch.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:

I complete agree with this. We already won with our team. We can add an MLE which is an upgrade . Team already build that identity and team camaraderie. The chemistry is there. Looking good in paper does not win you rings. When AD resign that 2 plus 1. We have to go all in so 22 is more prudent.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree. In the context of this year’s pseudo-summer, Pelinka will need to make some educated guesses. The CBA is a wild card here. Until the last couple days, it wasn’t even on my radar that it could be modified or even scrapped. If the rules change, even in respects that are minor, it could have an effect on our options.

I think this is all correct.

As far as the FO thinking, who knows? They may have had one idea in mind before the season, and a different one after we won the ring. Depending on the CBA and what free agents become available their thinking could change.

Personally, I would rather have them respond based on opportunities and changing situations, rather than be locked into a single plan they will follow come hell or high water.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
None of the above, those seasons are our current window, try to win instead of worrying about another dream scenario.

I like how you used the words “our current window”. I knew you were a fan of this team to some extent!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject:

If we can get a Grant, Oubre, LaVine (young wing) type player, we strike now. If not, we can use that money and try to sign Josh Jackson or Harkless on a one year deal, if we can.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject:

I like Jrue Holliday too. Underrated guy, he deserves a ring.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I like how you used the words “our current window”. I knew you were a fan of this team to some extent!

The extent of 42 years
Big Shot Bob
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Exactly. We just won a championship and we have a window to potentially win another two.

Just focus on making moves that improve the team, but ideally, those moves involve players that maintain or improve upon their value two years from now.

For example:
- Don't lock yourselves into stupid 4-5 year contracts with role players (e.g. KCP, Markieff Morris); sign these guys to 2-3 year deals that can be moved if they need to be
- Try to use the MLE on a guy who can contribute now AND have something left in the tank in a couple years (i.e. value someone like Jerami Grant over Danilo Gannilari)
- If you're trading Kyle Kuzma and/or Danny Green, add a player that could conceivably be worth more than a bag of chips in 2022
- Continue to develop Talen Horton-Tucker
- Use our 2020 and 2021 First Round picks wisely - instead of swinging for the fences, add players that could develop into contributors to a rotation

Make smart decisions and we'll have options in 2022 - cap room is easy to create, esp. if you have assets on your roster that other teams find attractive.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Big Shot Bob wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Exactly. We just won a championship and we have a window to potentially win another two.

Just focus on making moves that improve the team, but ideally, those moves involve players that maintain or improve upon their value two years from now.

For example:
- Don't lock yourselves into stupid 4-5 year contracts with role players (e.g. KCP, Markieff Morris); sign these guys to 2-3 year deals that can be moved if they need to be
- Try to use the MLE on a guy who can contribute now AND have something left in the tank in a couple years (i.e. value someone like Jerami Grant over Danilo Gannilari)
- If you're trading Kyle Kuzma and/or Danny Green, add a player that could conceivably be worth more than a bag of chips in 2022
- Continue to develop Talen Horton-Tucker
- Use our 2020 and 2021 First Round picks wisely - instead of swinging for the fences, add players that could develop into contributors to a rotation

Make smart decisions and we'll have options in 2022 - cap room is easy to create, esp. if you have assets on your roster that other teams find attractive.

So it sounds like you are more in favor of a 2022 plan?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: