Shams: Lakers Requesting Career Ending Injury Application for Luol Deng’s Contract (League Denied It)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
As expected.

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers application to exclude Luol Deng’s salary from team salary books has been denied by the NBA, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Deng is owed salary through 2022.

Worth a shot tho
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Adam Silver was not gonna face the type of heat that he would have faced, giving the World Champion Lakers, who just killed free agency, an extra 5 mil to spend. Teams would have went Ape $hit and would have been screaming conspiracy
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Adam Silver was not gonna face the type of heat that he would have faced, giving the World Champion Lakers, who just killed free agency, an extra 5 mil to spend. Teams would have went Ape $hit and would have been screaming conspiracy

Silver ultimately works for 30 owners.

29 of those owners are now happy.

This was never getting approved, but I’m glad they tried. It speaks to a thorough process to exhaust all options to improve.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Then they still owe us for that nixed CP3 trade. Doesn't matter if the Lakers are doing well or not, the league is not allowed to collude against the Lakers. We can't help it if players want to come play for us.
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject:

but the Warriors got a 9.3M disabled player exception for Klay Thompson
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:

Apples and oranges.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Mitch,
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Thanks Mitch,

Don't forget to also thank Jim Buss.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject:

I still don't understand why they thought giving Mozgov and Deng 4 year contracts was a good idea
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
I still don't understand why they thought giving Mozgov and Deng 4 year contracts was a good idea

They were desperate. Jim's ultimatum on himself had gone public and Jeanie had publicly said she would hold him to it. So basically he had to turn that team into a contender the next season or he was gone. They were moves of desperation.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:

https://media.tenor.com/images/5118a4917264c1d910ae33595cc2c3b1/tenor.gif

In retrospect, not really sure why we stretched it tbh. We did it after the summer of Bron on Sept 1st 2018 and that was by design so that 14.5m was on our books that season and the summer of 2019 is when it would be a 5m cap hit...so it’s not like we had to create more space for 2018. And if we were angling for cap space in 2019, Deng would have had only 1yr 18.6m left on his deal. Maybe that’s when you ask him for a buyout and if he gives us 7.5m back at that time, it would have been a 3.7m cap hit over 3yrs instead. I mean if we wanted to open up capspace for a 3rd to add to Bron & AD, that woulda been it.

Oh well, the opening of more cap for that 2019 summer ultimately didn’t matter anyway. Danny woulda probably had a million more to his name, even if we did.

But damn does that 5m get in the way...particularly next summer when things will get interesting. Maybe that’s why we applied for it so late...we were really eying 2021....or we were looking to give Kcp 30m guaranteed and would have done it like Green’s contract on a 2yr deal. Instead it’s 30m guaranteed over 3 years...12m, 13.2m, 4.8m.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

They were desperate. Jim's ultimatum on himself had gone public and Jeanie had publicly said she would hold him to it. So basically he had to turn that team into a contender the next season or he was gone. They were moves of desperation.

Yeah, that part I understand it. But even so I'm sure that they would have accepted 2 year contracts as they were already overpaid
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

There's also the belief that they assumed they'd have the 'amnesty' available - and thus were lulled into taking far greater contract risk then they should have (2 fat vet contracts instead of just 1)
The fact that they were not clued into the amnesty being unlikely is a major indictment on the organization at that time; ownership attends league/owner meetings and should have a feel for where the league was headed and should have communicated it to the operational side. But apparently this did not happen.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject:

Next year could be tough, depending on if the cap goes up, etc. in 2022 we will finally be free of this, and it will also be a great free agent year (Beal, etc.)
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Next year could be tough, depending on if the cap goes up, etc. in 2022 we will finally be free of this, and it will also be a great free agent year (Beal, etc.)

I believe that the plan is to maintain most of our current team plus the tax-payer MLE to replace Harrell. So Deng's contract will not matter except for Jeannie's bank account.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject:

The Lakers don’t need it the team is stacked
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

Except Mitch is still pulling the same crap with the Hornets. Look at Terry Rozier and now Gordon Hayward. He also traded Shia-Gilgeous Alexander on draft night for...Miles Bridges.

He hasn’t changed. This is the same GM that surrounded Kobe with utter garbage from 2004-2007 like Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, extending Luke Walton to a long and expensive contract after a mediocre season, etc. All until Jerry West bailed him out with Pau.

After another bad year for the Hornets, I imagine Mitch finally gets canned and never gets a GM job again. The game has passed him by a long time ago.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

I think that politics had something to do with it although I don't see Silver as near as corrupt as his predecessor. But they are moving the letter of the law just a little. I'm thinking this will be a small target negotiating issue in the next CBA. And it should be too hard to negotiate a clarification that is useful to both sides. Players want to get paid and enough teams want loopholes to upgrade rosters. The ruler should slide toward injury exemptions for more situations.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:

Jim knows he was going to get canned, spiteful signing to screw the incoming FO. Imo
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

I get that, but giving them 4 year deals wouldn't have made Jim any closer to that goal. Deng at that point in his career was already no longer an all-star. Mozgov was a questionable starting level C. His best success was with Lebron. I think the Lakers got guys they thought would help the young guys win more games, and that is ok, but you could have gotten guys way cheaper to do the same. It is not that they spent the money, it is how much they spent on 2 guys that were not going to shift the Lakers into playoff contention. To me, it seemed that the Lakers thought they were adding assets to the team that they could move via trade later on .... only they miscalculated the values of Deng/Moz. You need those kind of contracts to make a bigger move in a trade. Only the contracts were so bad, that to get rid of them you needed to either attach an all-star potential draft pick talent or waive them. Easily, I am sure they could have gotten players on 2 year deals which was a trade asset at the same yearly price. I think they made huge miscalculations on the worth of those guys. They way overpaid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject:

They would have better off hiring a team of private investigators to unearth his real age and try to void the contract that way.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject:

Honestly, Luol Deng is no one's fault except the Lakers.

Lakers signed him to the bloated contract (good riddance Mitch and Jim)

Lakers benched him to play the youths when Deng could've had trade value if he played. Instead he was put in no man's land.

At some point, you could've unloaded his contract somewhere but the Lakers chose to waive and stretch him instead.

So Luol Deng's contract that never ends is only the Lakers fault.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
They would have better off hiring a team of private investigators to unearth his real age and try to void the contract that way.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I get that, but giving them 4 year deals wouldn't have made Jim any closer to that goal. Deng at that point in his career was already no longer an all-star.

I'm not sure what the logic on Mozgov was, but with Deng if memory serves correctly the Wizards offered him a three year deal and the Lakers trumped it by giving him the fourth year.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I get that, but giving them 4 year deals wouldn't have made Jim any closer to that goal. Deng at that point in his career was already no longer an all-star.

I'm not sure what the logic on Mozgov was, but with Deng if memory serves correctly the Wizards offered him a three year deal and the Lakers trumped it by giving him the fourth year.

Correct. Deng was coming off a surprisingly effective season as a stretch 4 with Miami. He immediately fell off a cliff physically. The FO was striking out on FAs left and right and had stopped even receiving meetings. It was clear they needed a Hail Mary to save their jobs and this was it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: