Dodgers vs Lakers Championship Significance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

Next year, #18 for Lakers and back-to-back for Dodgers? Has that ever happened before? Two major sport teams in the same city winning back-to-back championships at the same time??
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Next year, #18 for Lakers and back-to-back for Dodgers? Has that ever happened before? Two major sport teams in the same city winning back-to-back championships at the same time??

I could sense my heart threatening to go into palpitation.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject:

https://i.redd.it/br9q719z6hw51.jpg

Only Celtic fans or Laker haters have a problem with this championship

Same applies for the Dodgers. Everyone plays under the same circumstances. Especially coming off the Astros fiasco
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
The players are for the most part homegrown or came into their own here, the sole exception really being Mookie Betts. This Lakers squad is a band of mercenaries for hire.

The elephant in the room which everyone ignores is that EVERY LA Laker title required a "mercenary" it couldn't win without:

72 - Wilt.

80, 82 - Kareem, Wilkes, McAdoo.

85, 87, 88 - Kareem

2000-2002 - Shaq (and Horry, Fox)

2009, 2010 - Pau

2020 - Lebron, AD.
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
strong9 wrote:
The players are for the most part homegrown or came into their own here, the sole exception really being Mookie Betts. This Lakers squad is a band of mercenaries for hire.

The elephant in the room which everyone ignores is that EVERY LA Laker title required a "mercenary" it couldn't win without:

72 - Wilt.

85, 87, 88 - Kareem

2009, 2010 - Pau

2020 - Lebron, AD.

Who cares? Why would this even relevant to any intellectually honest five-fingered earth person? They were Lakers when they won. How does the fact of not being "homegrown" diminish any of it in any way, shape, or form? It has long been the Laker way of success. WTF would you do it any other way if it KEEPS ON WORKING LOL.
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:
composite wrote:
strong9 wrote:

72 - Wilt.

85, 87, 88 - Kareem

2009, 2010 - Pau

2020 - Lebron, AD.

Who cares? Why would this even relevant to any intellectually honest five-fingered earth person? They were Lakers when they won. How does the fact of not being "homegrown" diminish any of it in any way, shape, or form? It has long been the Laker way of success. WTF would you do it any other way if it KEEPS ON WORKING LOL.

I agree it works and I don't see anything wrong with it. When a player joins the Lakers, he's a Laker. Doesn't matter if it's trade, free agency, draft, etc.

I was responding to the OP claiming that this Laker title meant less because Lebron / AD were "mercenaries" while ignoring the fact that so were all 11 other Laker titles with Pau, Shaq, KAJ and Wilt.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
strong9 wrote:

72 - Wilt.

85, 87, 88 - Kareem

2009, 2010 - Pau

2020 - Lebron, AD.

The difference is that this entire team is pretty much a new group of players, most of them only being in LA a year or two, including the two stars.

Wilt joined a Jerry West team that had been to the finals for most of the last decade but couldn’t get over the hump.
Kareem was with the Lakers for 5 years before Magic Johnson was drafted and they finally won.
Shaq arrived when Kobe was drafted and they played for 5 years before winning.
Kobe’s team had been to the playoffs a few times and just couldn’t get over the hump, even in Pau’s first year.

This team, while great, just doesn’t have the history the other teams did before their first title. This doesn’t say anything about their title be worth less/more than others but it just provides why fans wouldn’t be as invested in these players who are all brand new.

To borrow a quote written about the Brooklyn Dodgers, “you may glory in a team triumphant but you fall in love with a team in defeat.” Those Kobe titles felt a lot better than the Lebron one because of the struggles that came before — This is also why the Dodger title feels way more special for a person who’s a big fan of both teams. And to bring it back to the Lakers, the 2010 title was so special not just because it was against the Celtics but because it was against the Celtics team we lost to 2 years earlier; if we lost to another team in 08 that 10 title wouldn’t be so memorable, imo.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject:

composite wrote:
strong9 wrote:

72 - Wilt.

85, 87, 88 - Kareem

2009, 2010 - Pau

2020 - Lebron, AD.

Of all the players on this list, the last one I would consider a “mercenary” is Kareem. Back when he was still going by Lew Alcindor, he led UCLA to 3 consecutive NCAA championships, and it would have been 4 had it not been for the freshman ineligibility rule which was still in place when he arrived there.

When he came into the NBA he was drafted by Milwaukee, a place that he did not care for, but led to a title in 1971, and a near miss in 1974 before requesting a trade to either New York (where he was born), or LA (where he attended university).

Once he became a Laker, he played for them for the final 14 years of his career (or 70%), and led 5 NBA title winners. Kareem is a Laker thru and thru.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:
composite wrote:
strong9 wrote:

72 - Wilt.

85, 87, 88 - Kareem

2009, 2010 - Pau

2020 - Lebron, AD.

Yes, let's be intellectually honest here. Which Laker championship team is more beloved among LA sports fans and Lakers fans in general? Do you think this Lebron Lakers team is as beloved as the Kobe and Magic title teams? Or we could go even further, is Lebron and Anthony Davis as beloved a Laker as Magic, Kobe, West?

BTW, I have nothing against people that love this 2020 title team more than the 2010 team or the 1985 team or other Laker championship teams of the past. I also have nothing against fans that like Lebron as a Laker over Magic, Kobe, West, etc. But I am willing to bet I am not the minority that holds the other Championship teams in much higher esteem or Kobe, Magic, West as the more beloved Lakers over Lebron and Anthony Davis.
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
SD2Hollyweird wrote:
composite wrote:
strong9 wrote:

72 - Wilt.

85, 87, 88 - Kareem

2009, 2010 - Pau

2020 - Lebron, AD.

Yes, let's be intellectually honest here. Which Laker championship team is more beloved among LA sports fans and Lakers fans in general? Do you think this Lebron Lakers team is as beloved as the Kobe and Magic title teams? Or we could go even further, is Lebron and Anthony Davis as beloved a Laker as Magic, Kobe, West?

BTW, I have nothing against people that love this 2020 title team more than the 2010 team or the 1985 team or other Laker championship teams of the past. I also have nothing against fans that like Lebron as a Laker over Magic, Kobe, West, etc. But I am willing to bet I am not the minority that holds the other Championship teams in much higher esteem or Kobe, Magic, West as the more beloved Lakers over Lebron and Anthony Davis.

You ask for intellectual honesty and make a general/universal statement? Me? My favorite of ALL. The 1988 Dodgers. That's me. The Lakers, probably 2000, finally broke through. But I'll take this one over the 2009 Magic win. Even though I was psyched Kobe got one without Shaq. 2010 was great, sure, Celtics and all, but 2008 still ruined that in some ways, that blow lead.....never should have happened. Or that series loss.
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: