Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I don't subscribe to The Athletic. I hope nothing happens.

Quote:
Multiple suspicious baseballs from Dodgers’ Trevor Bauer sent to MLB for inspection. The Latest attempted crackdown by the league being put to test. Story:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1380320585151025155

(bleep). I’ve been so excited about his start to the season (despite that one ugly inning in Colorado, I’ve been very hopeful because he pitched effectively into the 7th inning in both of his starts).
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
32 wrote:

Quote:
Multiple suspicious baseballs from Dodgers’ Trevor Bauer sent to MLB for inspection. The Latest attempted crackdown by the league being put to test. Story:

(bleep). I’ve been so excited about his start to the season (despite that one ugly inning in Colorado, I’ve been very hopeful because he pitched effectively into the 7th inning in both of his starts).

If it is something like pine tar on the baseballs, only way he can get in trouble is if there is video of him applying it to the ball. How would MLB be able to prove he did it deliberately any other way? If it is some other kind of substance, well he is his own worst enemy. With the way he came after MLB this offseason over this, he should have known the scrutiny on him would be insane.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject:

BigJosh951 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
32 wrote:

Quote:

If it is something like pine tar on the baseballs, only way he can get in trouble is if there is video of him applying it to the ball. How would MLB be able to prove he did it deliberately any other way? If it is some other kind of substance, well he is his own worst enemy. With the way he came after MLB this offseason over this, he should have known the scrutiny on him would be insane.

I would think, if they found anything it would have been announced by now.

FYI I think they are pulling balls from anyone with high spin rates. It's been happening all season so far. This case is just getting publicized due to who it is, and what team he's on now.

Not sure if they are doing "random spot checks" or whenever opposing managers request...etc.

---George Carlin
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Until Wednesday, there were no reports of any balls being confiscated and sent to MLB for inspection -- until Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer took the mound that day against the Oakland A's.

A's radio announcer Vince Cotroneo noticed a ball taken out of play in the first inning while the A's were at bat. Then on Thursday a report by The Athletic cited major league sources confirming that several balls Bauer threw during the game were sticky or had visible markings on them.

Bauer quickly responded on social media, calling the reports "desperate and misleading clickbait headlines from national gossip bloggers."

Quote:

Trevor Bauer (トレバー・バウアー)
@BauerOutage

wonder where the articles about balls from every other pitcher being taken out of play in literally every other game this season are?

Quote:
Bauer also wondered why there haven't been similar stories about "balls from every other pitcher being taken out of play in literally every other game this season."

MLB sent a letter to all 30 teams last month announcing the new policy, which also includes examination of Statcast data such as spin rate to determine the possibility of foreign substances being used.

However, the league has not said how it might go about proving any suspicions or what the penalty for such violations would be.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

When are Kelly and Graterol due back?
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Great win today with the offense clearly lacking bc of injuries. Big ups to Knebel and Treinen.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
David Price, who opted out of the 2020 season, will auction his ring to raise money for The Players Alliance.

Wth?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
David Price, who opted out of the 2020 season, will auction his ring to raise money for The Players Alliance.

Wth?

I'm guessing he doesn't feel he earned it and would rather use it for a good cause.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

Wth?

What a generous fellow is Price, besides he didn't make a single pitch for that Championship run so he probably felt he didn't deserve a ring so he will put it to use and auction it for charity.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Nice win on ring day!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Knebel's breaking ball was NASTY today, wow. It helped that he wasn't exactly facing a who's who of hitters, but still. When you can throw 95+ and have a plus breaking ball, that's what can happen. The fact is that Jansen is probably our 5th-best reliever. Knebel, Treinen, Graterol, and Gonzalez are clearly better than he is, at this stage. And in the postseason, despite last year's struggles, May could be an option at 100 MPH. Or Urias again.

The Dodgers are loaded. Repeating is going to be very difficult, but this team is stacked.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Knebel's breaking ball was NASTY today, wow. It helped that he wasn't exactly facing a who's who of hitters, but still. When you can throw 95+ and have a plus breaking ball, that's what can happen. The fact is that Jansen is probably our 5th-best reliever. Knebel, Treinen, Graterol, and Gonzalez are clearly better than he is, at this stage. And in the postseason, despite last year's struggles, May could be an option at 100 MPH. Or Urias again.

The Dodgers are loaded. Repeating is going to be very difficult, but this team is stacked.

Yay our new closer!!!

Hope Mookie is back, we gonna have to lean heavy on the pitching with this anemic lineup. Goose is injured, Price and Nelson are way off so there's litle margin for error. Even worse if Bauer faces discipline then we suddenly become thin in the SP dept.

Last edited by MookieBetts50 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

Wth?

I'm guessing he doesn't feel he earned it and would rather use it for a good cause.

I get that. It just feels a bit ungrateful to me.

Like re-gifting a xmas present..

The Dodgers took the time to actually give him a ring when he didn’t play all year.

At least show some gratitude instead of already making plans to give it to charity.

Might as wel just ask the Dodgers to give him a check for the value of the ring so he can donate it to charity.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Some of those balls will be outsourced to a laboratory for further inspection, but sources told ESPN that the league will spend the 2021 season mostly in information-gathering mode and that multiple baseballs from multiple pitchers have been collected from every game this season.

To that point, Bauer is not currently facing potential punishment by the league.

But findings from the baseballs that are inspected could be used as supportive evidence for punishment down the road.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Man, ESPN is such clickbait trash...They have an article titled, "Bauer baseball probe concerns Dodgers' Roberts".

Very misleading, as Roberts was only concerned because Bauer was getting singled out on something that should be routine this season. It's pretty lame how news/sports sites constantly get away with their misleading/clickbaity headlines.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

Wth?

The Dodgers took the time to actually give him a ring when he didn’t play all year.

At least show some gratitude instead of already making plans to give it to charity.

Might as wel just ask the Dodgers to give him a check for the value of the ring so he can donate it to charity.

Didn't Artest do the same thing to his 2010 ring?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

Wth?

Didn't Artest do the same thing to his 2010 ring?

Yeah looks like he donated it in 2011.

Donating a ring doesn’t bother me. It’s the timing of it.

Like Price doesn’t even want it. It just goes straight from the Dodgers to charity.

To me, it’s still a gift from the organization to the players/staff.

There should be some time to appreciate the gift before donating it to charity. But that’s just me.

It just seems ungrateful to me.

Take Matt Barnes when he won the ring with GS. They gave him a ring and he wouldn’t accept it. He didn’t feel he earned it. But they insisted he take it and they hand delivered it to him and he was grateful.

At least he made them feel good. Better than saying just donate it to charity.

If Matt Barnes donates it to charity now I think that’s fine. But on the day you receive it it’s already going straight to charity, that rubs me the wrong way.

And it sounds like it wasn’t a foregone conclusion that he was going to get one either:

Quote:
Dodgers: Andrew Friedman Wants David Price to Get a World Series Ring for 2020

Despite opting out, Friedman is hopeful that Price gets a ring.

The Athletic’s Pedro Moura asked Andrew Friedman that question for us.
That’s to our discretion. I would advocate for it. We haven’t gotten into who’s getting one yet.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

^^Yes.

“You work so hard to get a ring and now you have a chance to help more people than just yourself, instead of just satisfying yourself,” Artest told NBA.com.

Auction apparently raised 500K for charity.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/554840-ron-artest-video-lakers-star-talks-about-his-500k-charity-raffle
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
^^Yes.

“You work so hard to get a ring and now you have a chance to help more people than just yourself, instead of just satisfying yourself,” Artest told NBA.com.

Auction apparently raised 500K for charity.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/554840-ron-artest-video-lakers-star-talks-about-his-500k-charity-raffle

Yeah to me it’s about showing that you appreciate the gift first before giving it away.

Something in about how Price is doing it just seems like he’s saying

“I don’t want that thing, give it to charity...”

The Dodgers didn’t have to give him a ring. Friedman wanted him to get one because he felt he deserved one. Take it, show appreciation. Keep it for awhile, then do what you want with it.

I think the way he’s doing it is like spitting on the ring.

There’s a reason why he’s keeping his Red Sox ring and auctioning off the Dodgers’ ring.

I think he announced it tonight at the ring ceremony? Like he really wanted people to know he’s not keeping that thing.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Joe Musgrove, Padres just threw a no hitter.

Padres made headlines by acquiring Snell and Darvish but so far Musgrove has been the best out of the 3.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

^
He probably feels he didn't deserve it, like others have suggested, and he wants to do something nice for someone else. I can't imagine the Dodgers are miffed at him for this. I mean, it's a gift. You know what happens when you give a gift to someone? It's theirs, not yours. It's their property. He can do whatever he wants with his own property.

I'm sure the Dodgers are more concerned that he's gotten shelled in his first two outings.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
He probably feels he didn't deserve it, like others have suggested, and he wants to do something nice for someone else. I can't imagine the Dodgers are miffed at him for this. I mean, it's a gift. You know what happens when you give a gift to someone? It's theirs, not yours. It's their property. He can do whatever he wants with his own property.

I'm sure the Dodgers are more concerned that he's gotten shelled in his first two outings.

Yup, like I said, totally understand.

Not saying Dodgers are mad at him or he did a bad thing.

I think etiquette wise, I didn’t like it. It did rub me the wrong way and maybe (probably) just me.

I think there is proper etiquette in how long you need to keep a gift before you can give it away.

I remember going through discussions on whether Price deserved a ring or not and alot of people felt he did. I just think on the day you receive the ring you don’t just give it away. But again, it’s just me. I’m not saying everyone else should feel the same or the Dodgers or Price should feel the same. It just rubbed me the wrong way because it seems like such an honor to be given a championship ring...
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I liked the choice by David. He’s shown in his short time as a Dodger — and I’m sure in the years before while with Boston and other teams — that he wants to do good.

I don’t think the Dodgers would really have not given him a ring even though he opted out; if you’re on the team you’re getting a ring. But he may have still taken their generosity and decided to pay that forward. The ring didn’t have significance to him, nor did the value of it. But now some lucky fan gets to own a ring, and a bunch of money goes to Players Alliance. Instead of a win/win, it’s a win x4 (dodgers and price look good, the fan gets a ring, and the PA get $)
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

I can see either side of it. I can understand why LongBeachPoly feels that way; it kind of does rub me the wrong way. But in any case, I’m still happy we are having this discussion because the only way we have it is if the team won.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

MVPs still out so same (bleep) lineup as last night, hope Urias is dealing with minimum run support.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 32 of 395
Jump to: