Nick Van Exel Had Covid-19

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Nick Van Exel Had Covid-19

Quote:
nick vanexel (@) vanexel31 19m

I had Covid and that Pile of poo kicked my ass. I’m good now. I thought I was doing everything right to prevent from catching it to. Man y’all be extra careful out here. FA real. Folded hands

https://twitter.com/vanexel31/status/1322755367722516481
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Glad he's over it. Still love Nick the Quick.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject:

I’m happy he’s doing well, will always be considered a Laker.
Lakerlover89
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject:

He is why I became a Laker fan back in 94.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Nick Van Exel Had Covid-19

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:
nick vanexel (@) vanexel31 19m

I had Covid and that Pile of poo kicked my ass. I’m good now. I thought I was doing everything right to prevent from catching it to. Man y’all be extra careful out here. FA real. Folded hands

https://twitter.com/vanexel31/status/1322755367722516481

This stuff is here to stay, you better get used to it and take care of your immune system...

Lucky him to be done with it...
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

Stay safe, Nick!!
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject:

Glad he was able to recover. My favorite player from the 90s Lake Show Era. Got a bad rap for the Cancun thing. He was simply frustrated with Del Harris' coaching, imo. I wish he would've won some rings with us.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Glad he was able to recover. My favorite player from the 90s Lake Show Era. Got a bad rap for the Cancun thing. He was simply frustrated with Del Harris' coaching, imo. I wish he would've won some rings with us.

Piss poor timing for a joke, no doubt...but yeah, did like Nick
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

There was also the headbutt incident with the ref. Loved NVE but the dude did have some maturity issues in his younger days. Glad he's over covid. In a way I hope I can get it too just to get it over with. Tired of this (bleep).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
deal wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

There was also the headbutt incident with the ref. Loved NVE but the dude did have some maturity issues in his younger days. Glad he's over covid. In a way I hope I can get it too just to get it over with. Tired of this (bleep).

It was a lot more than just Del Harris though. The recent book Three-Ring Circus: Kobe, Shaq, Phil, and the Crazy Years of the Lakers Dynasty does a really good dive into that period. Fantastic book on it's own...must read as a Lakers' fan.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject:

Nothing like a Wednesday night game at the forum with your favorite uncle and your 2 best friends sitting next to you in colonnade 15 to watch the Lakers play some hapless mid-90s flounders like the Mavs or the Nets. Your whole life is ahead of you and your mom got matinee tickets for you & your boys to see Braveheart at the Marina Pacifica on Saturday! Dude, check it out, is that Wesley Snipes talking to Jack? No, dummy, that's Larry Drew!

Sir Lawrence Tanter on the PA:

threeeeee pointerrrrrr eddieeeeeeee JOOOOOONES from Nick, Vaaaaaa NEXELLLLLL

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

He and Del had their first scrape on 1/9/95 in a 46 pt loss at Porty. Blazers w/ all their 3/4 types caught 50 boards that night and they got 37 assists as a team. One of the most thorough ass invasions we've ever taken as a club. Lakers were down big and Nick comes out for the 2nd half and sits on the bench instead of walking onto the floor to start the 2nd half as he always did. Del didn't know what was up or how to deal with it so he just left him there and played him a sparing number of minutes in the 2nd (played only 13 mins that nite). Dunno what happened at halftime or if they had a disagreement in the 1st half or during halftime. However, it was clear even then that Nick was perturbed. I recall the camera panning in on him with a sour puss. Del and the org took the stance that it was a misunderstanding (lie) and gave him a pass as it was a first time incident.

What's unfortunate is that not enough if anything was done to mediate between the two. Del was old school and Nick didn't like authority figures like Del. I think the org basically let them figure each other out and they never did. Nick shoving Garretson on 4/9/96 at DEN was the next issue. He was suspended for the last 7 gms of that RS. Then Del yelled and pointed in his face during the 97 Utah series which was captured on camera and exploited by NBC and BSPN. Then Cancun! did Nick in because it drew the ire of SHAQ more than Del. It's interesting that Del himself only lasted for 12 more games than Nick. He was fired w/ a 6-6 record in 99 and our first loss to the Vanc Grizz.

And remember that Nick sunk to the 37th pick only because he was a no-show at a couple of draft workouts and he got into a verbal altercation w/ George Karl at one of the workouts he did attend. George went on TV and said something like, "You know......we (coaches) talk to each other..." Then Nick sinks like a rock in the draft. He was a top 5 guard in the 93 class and was NCAA 2nd team w/ Grant Hill one of those seasons. I got a 92 Tourney game on DVD between Cincy and Michigan and Nick was rite up there with Webber and Howard as the best players on the floor. He was EASILY a lottery pick had he approached the draft correctly. Another thing is that Nick transferred to Cincy as a JUCO (went to a Texas Jr Coll). At that school, he knocked a teammate out and reportedly kicked him in the head when he was laid out. That was the kind of thing that he had successfully gotten past at Cincy, but he blew it in the draft.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

No Cancuun for you....!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

The worst part of the NVE era was when the Lakers had the chance to trade him to Dallas for Jason Kidd, management consulted with the Big Aristole, who responded that "Nick was his boy" and didn't want him traded.

It hurts to imagine how many more rings the Lakers would have had with Kidd playing alongside Kobe and Shaq...
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

or even Nick keeping his attitude in check and playing the point with shaq and kobe all the way to mulitple chips. what could have been...

unleasHell wrote:
The worst part of the NVE era was when the Lakers had the chance to trade him to Dallas for Jason Kidd, management consulted with the Big Aristole, who responded that "Nick was his boy" and didn't want him traded.

It hurts to imagine how many more rings the Lakers would have had with Kidd playing alongside Kobe and Shaq...
Andrew Evenstar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject:

not really a big deal 99% survival rate. you only need to worry if you have co morbidities.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject:

Andrew Evenstar wrote:
not really a big deal 99% survival rate. you only need to worry if you have co morbidities.

(bleep) off with your dinsinfo, son.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Andrew Evenstar wrote:

(bleep) off with your dinsinfo, son.

Being fat is the only comorbidity that shows to an Andrew, tho. How can he assume that Nick is good without knowing his medical history? He could have hypertension, sickle cell, lowered lung function from living in high-asthma area as a kid, who knows. That's why God passed the Law Of Probability.

You want Andrew to head to Da Nang, most riki-tik and take Rafterman with him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: