Lakers To Target Serge Ibaka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Imagine if we somehow kept Dwight as well. Three headed monster of Dwight, Ibaka, and AD.

I don’t think that the Lakers adding Ibaka would set well with Dwight.

why are you still allowed to post in here....you are so lucky that trolling wont be disciplined
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject:

LeBronsPregameChalk wrote:
32 wrote:
It's still weird that he just started following the Lakers on Twitter and when somebody noticed it he removed it.

On one hand, it is odd, and definitely counts as circumstantial evidence.

On the other hand, I swear I've seen the "[insert player here] started to follow [insert new team here]" played out 10,000 times over the past three offseasons, and 99% of the time it has no correlation to where they actually end up signing.

ok just for the fun of it, name 5000 of them
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Imagine if we somehow kept Dwight as well. Three headed monster of Dwight, Ibaka, and AD.

why are you still allowed to post in here....you are so lucky that trolling wont be disciplined

I guess the Clippers Forum is dead, hence he is here to troll
LeBronsPregameChalk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:
32 wrote:
It's still weird that he just started following the Lakers on Twitter and when somebody noticed it he removed it.

On one hand, it is odd, and definitely counts as circumstantial evidence.

On the other hand, I swear I've seen the "[insert player here] started to follow [insert new team here]" played out 10,000 times over the past three offseasons, and 99% of the time it has no correlation to where they actually end up signing.

ok just for the fun of it, name 5000 of them

Allen Robinson (Bears WR) unfollowed teammates / removed all references of his team on social media.

Julio Jones removed references to the Falcons on social media.

LeBron unfollowed all Cavs teammates on Twitter (2016, years before leaving the Lakers).

Jamal Adams unfollowed all Jets teammates / removed all references from them to their bio in Sept 2019. Everyone thought a trade was imminent. Instead he played out the entire 2019 season with the Jets. (He was eventually traded the following year.)

These are just some of the ones I remember. But on top of this, I have recollections (but can't remember exact names) of players suddenly following a bunch of players on a new team, and people reading the tea leaves and saying, "oh look, he's definitely signing on that new team" but then nothing panning out.

Often when a player choreographs all of this its just to get leverage from their team, they're trying to put pressure on the front office. For all we know Serge Ibaka is hitting a wall in discussions with the Raptors and is trying to use this to get more money from them.

Serge would be an amazing pickup, I've just got burned by the 'look at the social media activity!" circumstantial evidence so many times that I just don't put much stock into it anymore.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Warriors could offer up to $17 mil.

You sure about that? From October 2020 Forbes Article:
Quote:
Just with the contracts they have on the books next year, including the second pick in the 2020 Draft, the Warriors will be paying around $157.5m in player salaries. That is $25m over the luxury tax threshold, meaning a tax bill of around $63.75m, and a total payroll and tax bill of $221.25m

Quote:
But a contending team will come at a price. The biggest tool the Warriors have at their disposal to add talent who can help win now is the $17.2m traded player exception (TPE) they received for Andre Iguodala. Ordinarily, the Warriors would be expected to leave no stone unturned in a chase for a championship ring. But with the finances of the league uncertain, and the Warriors facing eye-watering luxury tax bills and a potentially empty Chase Center next season, these are not ordinary times.

I'm not so sure paying all that tax to add Serge will be worth it for them but we shall see.

It will be interesting to see which direction the Dubs choose. I see them being fiscally prudent - trying to win without paying a ginormous tax bill.

OKC has 2 TPE totalling about $19.5 mil and I see them using them creatively to get draft picks/facilitate a CP3 trade.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Schroeder
Kuzma
LeBron
Ibaka
AD

Who has a better starting five?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

With Dennis Schroder now, Ibaka signing would be the nail in the coffin for the league.

Caruso
KCP
James
Davis
Ibaka

Life is good.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Imagine living a life where you have 138000+ posts on a forum where 97% of the members highly dislike you. On top of that nearly everything he posts is a downer, even days after winning the Championship while the rest of the board is trying to celebrate and enjoy it all he's screaming at us all to get off the mutha ^%$% lawn!

He's an OG I hear though so it's all good! Kind of like that super creepy uncle everyone tries to avoid at get togethers but HEY! he's still family.

Back to the topic at hand where the Lakers are making those moves to hang yet another banner.

I really hope we can keep KCP and add Ibaka. That's already a much improved team imo and we still have some ways to improve the roster beyond that.

Then hopefully one of Rondo or Bradley returns and I love our chances against anyone already before I even see the last few spots filled.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

FWIW - now that we have Dennis, and are likely to lose one of Bradley or KCP in addition to DG, I'd be looking at splitting the MLE now instead of going for an Ibaka-type. If not, I'd spend the full MLE on a wing. As we stand, we're very thin on SG/SF's:

PG: James - Schroder
SG: Caruso - ?
SF: ? - ?
PF: Davis - Kuzma
C: ? - McGee

There is a starting C position to be filled, but I think we can fill that by getting Howard back for 3mil
#18 next...
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers To Target Serge Ibaka

Megaton wrote:
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/08/rumor-lakers-to-target-serge-ibaka-in-free-agency/

I’m definitely in full support of that move. It feels realistic and would be a great fit next to Lebron and AD in the frontcourt.

I've been a huge fan of getting him. Plays D. Can hit the 3.

Of course I'd love to have someone like Jeremi Grant, but that guys is just touching the surface and will likely get a nice deal with Denver. Too bad we couldnt find a way to sneak him in
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
With Dennis Schroder now, Ibaka signing would be the nail in the coffin for the league.

Caruso
KCP
James
Davis
Ibaka

Life is good.

I'm excited about getting Ibaka, if done.

Hopefully Lakers can still keep their other 3 and D guys.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Warriors have bigger plans than Ibaka, methinks.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Al13 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Imagine living a life where you have 138000+ posts on a forum where 97% of the members highly dislike you. On top of that nearly everything he posts is a downer, even days after winning the Championship while the rest of the board is trying to celebrate and enjoy it all he's screaming at us all to get off the mutha ^%$% lawn!

He's an OG I hear though so it's all good! Kind of like that super creepy uncle everyone tries to avoid at get togethers but HEY! he's still family.

Back to the topic at hand where the Lakers are making those moves to hang yet another banner.

I really hope we can keep KCP and add Ibaka. That's already a much improved team imo and we still have some ways to improve the roster beyond that.

Then hopefully one of Rondo or Bradley returns and I love our chances against anyone already before I even see the last few spots filled.

AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He's being disingenuous. That $17mm is a trade exception. The Raptors would need to be willing to help the Dubs
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Schroeder
Kuzma
LeBron
Ibaka
AD

if the Lakers got Ibaka he'd likely remain a 6th man and back up center. AD does not want to play center. That is why the Lakers got McGee and Dwight in the first place.

And Ibaka has been shining as a 6th man.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Schroeder
Kuzma
LeBron
Ibaka
AD

if the Lakers got Ibaka he'd likely remain a 6th man and back up center. AD does not want to play center. That is why the Lakers got McGee and Dwight in the first place.

Yeah, it's about the group that closes and with Serge he will definitely close out games at the 5.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
MJST wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Schroeder
Kuzma
LeBron
Ibaka
AD

Yeah, it's about the group that closes and with Serge he will definitely close out games at the 5.

And as a side note you take off the market another talented big Yes, yes...hoard the 6'10-7 footers!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
MJST wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Schroeder
Kuzma
LeBron
Ibaka
AD

And as a side note you take off the market another talented big Yes, yes...hoard the 6'10-7 footers!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Let’s get it done.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Ibaka is not a guy I had on my radar at all for the Lakers.

I do think he is a good player and could help, but personally I would not sign him if it means we lose Dwight as Dwight was fantastic last season and we have other guys who can do what Ibaka does but we don't have anyone else who can do what Dwight did last year.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I have become a big D12 guy, I thought he was great for us last season in every way.

I really disagree with you here. Ibaka is a pretty good defensive player and has great touch for a guy his size. His versatility and all-around game is very hard to come by. Who can "do what Ibaka does"? McGee/Howard/etc can't provide spacing.

Dwight is good but he is very one-dimensional. At times in the playoffs he was barely playable. For example, in Games 4/5/6 in the Finals, he played a combined 24 minutes (8 min/game). He played 15 minutes total in the Houston series. Traditional centers (i.e. ones that can't shoot from the perimeter) don't have a lot of value in the modern NBA. Even if they let Dwight walk, I think they can find a replacement at a vet min price. Think someone like Nerlens Noel. I'm not saying there wouldn't be a dropoff, I'm just throwing out a random name to illustrate that there are a decent vet min centers out there.

Dwight is a great story but his value is a little exaggerated I think. That's very hard to even dispute when you look at his playing time in the playoffs. That said, I don't even think Ibaka is realistic. If he actually plays for the MLE that'd be amazing but I'm not really holding my breath.

Welcome to LG and I never mind someone disagreeing with me. OK, at least most of the time, lol.

Can Ibaka defend Jokic the way Dwight did in the playoffs? I say no.

I like Ibaka as a player, but I don't see offense as something we need more of...we won because of defense and D12 was a major cog in that.

Do I care that he was not on the floor vs. a gimmicky team like the Rockets?

Not in the least as he handled it professionally and then punished foes when he did see the floor.

I like Ibaka, he is a good player....but honestly if he is going to cost more than Dwight I just go with Dwight if I am Pelinka.
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He's being disingenuous. That $17mm is a trade exception. The Raptors would need to be willing to help the Dubs

yea the only way the Warriors can pay him that much is if the Raptors agree to sign and trade him. Which to be fair they might be willing to do as opposed to just losing him for nothing. But it’s disingenuous to imply that the Warriors can offer him a bigger salary.

Honestly the biggest threat to the Lakers getting Ibaka is the Raptors just offering him a big one year deal that would be more appealing than taking the MLE even over multiple years. I’d be surprised if the Raptors didn’t at least offer such a deal as it makes them competitive this season and preserves cap space for next year and their Giannis dreams.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Why???????????

We work best with AD at the 5 in the playoffs...

use that money for a bunch of wings ...

Harkless, Holiday, Etc

Sign Cousins + M. Leanord who shoots 40% + from 3...
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Schroeder
Kuzma
LeBron
Ibaka
AD

PG.Schroeder
SG.Holiday
SF.LeBron
PF.Harkless
C.Davis
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

They might, they have been quiet. But it was a simple answer to a simple question.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It is a one year credit for the Warriors (in normal times). The trade was Iggy to Miami, the Warriors received a credit for the difference. They don’t need to make a trade, they can use the credit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: