DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooleggs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Damn Dennis!!!!! Turn over waiting to happen~!!!!!!!
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Well at least he's taking some responsibility for those turnovers.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31246472/dennis-schroder-shoulders-blame-los-angeles-lakers-mounting-turnovers-starts-me

Quote:
Schroder was responsible for a team-high five turnovers as the Knicks made L.A. look like a completely different team than the group that shocked the Brooklyn Nets with a 25-point win just a couple days prior.

"It starts with me and I take the blame for it and we just got to do better," said Schroder.

He’s taken responsibility every time and changed nothing.

Color me skeptical until his actions back up the words.

Only 1 turnover tonight along with 19 points, 6 assists and 2 steals while making 3 of 7 3-pointers.

Looks like he backed up his words with action tonight.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:

If that’s all that resonates with you after his performance tonight, you must truly have a personal/emotional itch when it comes to him.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Well at least he's taking some responsibility for those turnovers.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31246472/dennis-schroder-shoulders-blame-los-angeles-lakers-mounting-turnovers-starts-me

Quote:
Schroder was responsible for a team-high five turnovers as the Knicks made L.A. look like a completely different team than the group that shocked the Brooklyn Nets with a 25-point win just a couple days prior.

"It starts with me and I take the blame for it and we just got to do better," said Schroder.

He’s taken responsibility every time and changed nothing.

Color me skeptical until his actions back up the words.

Only 1 turnover tonight along with 19 points, 6 assists and 2 steals while making 3 of 7 3-pointers.

Looks like he backed up his words with action tonight.

Yep, he sure did.

Now he needs to turn tonight into a trend.

He doesn't need to score like he did tonight, but cut the turnovers, be efficient, and assist your teammates.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Killer_Z wrote:
cooleggs wrote:

If that’s all that resonates with you after his performance tonight, you must truly have a personal/emotional itch when it comes to him.

Probably didn’t watch
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

matigol wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:
Like it or not, this dude is our 3rd best player

I'm giving that title to Drummond but it was a great performance by DS

Yeah, Drummond is our 3rd best player.

Caruso is the GOAT

DS is our 3rd best player
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
Damn! Dennis pounds the rock way too much!!! And he basically drives to score -- frustrating......

That should always be your intention when you drive until the defense rotates and commits to you. That having been said Schroder has averaged 7.8 assists per game over the past 12. He's without a doubt a shoot first point guard, his passing can be sloppy. But you can't say he isn't making an effort to make plays.

He's also hitting 45% of his threes this month (in 7 games) while taking 3.3 per game. Those things average out over time. He's not a 45% three point shooter, but he's certainly a much better three point shooter than he showed early in the season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject:

Our death lineup will be:

Dennis/AC/KCP/LBJ/AD.

This is the group that is winning time. Remember, that was one of our highest +/- groups out there. You get all around defense, no weaknesses really. AC is the weakest link offensively, but if he can continue hitting wide open 3s it's no problem. Can't wait to see this again.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Dennis/AC/KCP/LBJ/AD.

This is the group that is winning time. Remember, that was one of our highest +/- groups out there. You get all around defense, no weaknesses really. AC is the weakest link offensively, but if he can continue hitting wide open 3s it's no problem. Can't wait to see this again.

They going to switch hunt Schroder . My darkhorse is Matthews, I believe he will come through when it matters. Also Kief but depends on the matchup. Schroder 3 ball has been encouraging but still don’t want to see the ball in his hands down the stretch so if he can’t get that going, he will sit.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
Damn! Dennis pounds the rock way too much!!! And he basically drives to score -- frustrating......

That should always be your intention when you drive until the defense rotates and commits to you. That having been said Schroder has averaged 7.8 assists per game over the past 12. He's without a doubt a shoot first point guard, his passing can be sloppy. But you can't say he isn't making an effort to make plays.

He's also hitting 45% of his threes this month (in 7 games) while taking 3.3 per game. Those things average out over time. He's not a 45% three point shooter, but he's certainly a much better three point shooter than he showed early in the season.

He’s putting a lot of effort most definitely especially in defense but he’s predictable offensively. He’s gotten better playmaking wise but he’s like turnover or bad shot waiting to happen because of that tunnel vision. It’s better to utilize him as a scorer than trying to make him see movements before it happen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Dennis/AC/KCP/LBJ/AD.

They going to switch hunt Schroder . My darkhorse is Matthews, I believe he will come through when it matters. Also Kief but depends on the matchup. Schroder 3 ball has been encouraging but still don’t want to see the ball in his hands down the stretch so if he can’t get that going, he will sit.

I doubt it. If anything the variance will be with KCP/AC. I think the Lakers have shown that they trust in Dennis with the closing lineup, when LBJ/AD played and without him. Wes is too one dimensional and someone you can gameplan out b/c he really doesn't dribble any more either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
cooleggs wrote:

He’s putting a lot of effort most definitely especially in defense but he’s predictable offensively. He’s gotten better playmaking wise but he’s like turnover or bad shot waiting to happen because of that tunnel vision. It’s better to utilize him as a scorer than trying to make him see movements before it happen.

That's likely his role when AD/LBJ come back. I think he, of all players, will benefit and enjoy no longer being the focus of a team's defense. Teams are game planning him and Drummond.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
cooleggs wrote:

Once Lebron comes back i'm sure that's what will happen. As it stands now he's still far and away our best facilitator that's healthy especially if Gasol is not in the rotation. THT has flashes where he looks like he can do it as well but nowhere close to consistently and often times looks really rough trying (he just needs more time to mature and still has the potential to get there). We have all seen what happens when Caruso has tried and that's much worse then the above two options.

We're basically asking Dennis to completely change the way he's been playing the last 7 years and be more of a facilitator suddenly mid season which obviously is far from ideal but like you said he's only gotten better and in the long run once everyone gets back to there more natural roles he'll still have a bit of chemistry with the guys to occasionally be that secondary playmaker that is a scorer first which is his ideal role imo.

Watching a lot of the games recently it looks like he's really stepped into that floor general role as well with Lebron and AD on the sidelines which is another great thing to see. I think both him and Trezz sometimes get mistaken as being malcontent or malicious to there teammates but I think that's more so there competitive fire coming out. There's a reason we hear nothing but positive remarks about both of them from there other teammates and coaches.

I'm with everyone on him needing to still minimize the turnovers but we also have to be realistic when looking at the team we're throwing out there recently many of the nights.

I think we've had something like 17-18 different starting lineups already this season. To put that in perspective I believe the Utah Jazz are at 3 who have also had nearly no injury losses for the entire season. You're asking a guy who is not a natural passing guard to not only start being one but be one too a constant changing lineup.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm okay losing Dennis for nothing this offseason. I'm confident THT will fill in the role perfectly...turnovers and all.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject:

New nickname: Dennis turnshroder

But he did play better last game. He’s worth around 10-12 a year. I would bring in lonzo for 3 years 62 mil. He will unleash Kuzma for us.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
New nickname: Dennis turnshroder

But he did play better last game. He’s worth around 10-12 a year. I would bring in lonzo for 3 years 62 mil. He will unleash Kuzma for us.

Jk I know we can’t pay him
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
I'm okay losing Dennis for nothing this offseason. I'm confident THT will fill in the role perfectly...turnovers and all.

It’s not as easy as just saying “I’m okay losing Schroeder for nothing this off season” because we don’t have any cap space to get someone to fill a void like he does, what the FO can do is seek S&T scenarios, Maybe we bring in Compton born.. DeRozan.. I’m also not confident that THT is ready for a full time role next year.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject:

People say who cares what we spend... it's not our money.

To that I say I'd have no problem paying him 50 million next year then 15 million 12 million then 10 million... because then I'd know we could move him.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way,

I don't care about paying him whatever... If Jeanie wanted to blow 200 million on him and there was no cap... I wouldn't care.

But there is, so I don't want to get stuck with mediocrity for 20 million plus per year.

I'd rather let him walk and draft Juzang or the Australian dude and take my chances.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

<up until here I understand the argument>
I'd rather let him walk and draft Juzang or the Australian dude and take my chances.

This is where I'd draw the line - I'd do everything to get whatever disposable assets I could for him - even if they don't fit - so as to at least have some trade flexibility. Losing him for nothing would mimic some of the idiocies of the past.
Only let him walk if a team like the Knicks simply throws money at him that makes it impossible for us to parlay into intermediate assets.
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

It’s not as easy as just saying “I’m okay losing Schroeder for nothing this off season” because we don’t have any cap space to get someone to fill a void like he does, what the FO can do is seek S&T scenarios, Maybe we bring in Compton born.. DeRozan.. I’m also not confident that THT is ready for a full time role next year.

If Schroeder leaves us for the Knicks I would try to get Elfrid Payton (the Knicks would let him go if the get Schroeder). Payton isn't a good 3pt shooter but the rest of his game is very solid. He can penetrate somewhat, he finishes his layups, and he doesn't leave his feet and throw desperation passes when he dribbles in the paint.

Berto
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject:

delaluz wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

If Schroeder leaves us for the Knicks I would try to get Elfrid Payton (the Knicks would let him go if the get Schroeder). Payton isn't a good 3pt shooter but the rest of his game is very solid. He can penetrate somewhat, he finishes his layups, and he doesn't leave his feet and throw desperation passes when he dribbles in the paint.

He should be last on the list.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject:

Unless we getting Drummond for Trez's money which would cap us, y'all realized DS is the only PG we can sign over the cap, nobody else
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
delaluz wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

I agree Dennis is better than Payton overall, but he should give us all some perspective.

Both of them shoot 47% eFG... but at least Elfrid has a career 3 to 1 turnover ratio. They both have the same player efficiency rating. People would find it pure insanity if we paid him 84 million for four years.

Payton has never made more than the 8 million he's making this year.

I'm not sure it would be much of a downgrade if we drafted someone like Juzang (instant scoring) and used Payton to hold down the ship until he was NBA ready.

At least you wouldn't be tied down to a garbage contract that way.

People keep saying well if we sign him, at least we have assets to trade... I just don't know if anyone trades for him at 21 million plus... Not even the Knicks or Orlando.

Maybe if someone can demonstrate an actual scenario with real players I might understand what this trade looks like... but no one will even try to explain that. Have been asking for months for an real example of what a trade with Schroder and an 84 million plus contract might look like.

No one seems to be able to think of an example... saying we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Vin wrote:
delaluz wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

I agree Dennis is better than Payton overall, but he should give us all some perspective.

Both of them shoot 47% eFG... but at least Elfrid has a career 3 to 1 turnover ratio. They both have the same player efficiency rating. People would find it pure insanity if we paid him 84 million for four years.

I'm not sure it would be much of a downgrade if we drafted someone like Juzang (instant scoring) and used Payton to hold down the ship until he was NBA ready.

People keep saying well if we sign him, at least we have assets to trade... I just don't know if anyone trades for him at 21 million plus... Not even the Knicks or Orlando.

Maybe if someone can demonstrate an actual scenario with real players I might understand what this trade looks like... but no one will even try to explain that. Have been asking for months for an real example of what a trade with Schroder and an 84 million plus contract might look like.

No one seems to be able to think of an example... saying we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I think it is hard to trade him on his first year of his 4 years (or more) contract but once it gets to the final two seasons of his contract, that's more likely when a trade will happen. By that time, we can use him as a salary match along with our future draft picks and THT for a player we want. That's also why the Clippers gave Luke Kennard that contract.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Vin wrote:
delaluz wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

I'd say you're missing the fundamental point. The Lakers are trying to ride the last few years of LeBron's career. They aren't going to bank on drafting a point guard in the middle of the first round and hope he becomes something at some point.

Let's say Harrell and DS walk. You want to spend our mle on Payton. Fair enough. I can't say that I look at that move and think it improves us.

Ultimately, the Lakers will have to take a risk. Signing DS to a big contract is a risk, but so is letting him walk. Either decision could work out well, and either decision could blow up in our face.

But the fundamental thing is that the Lakers are focused on the moment, not on what the situation is going to be 3 years from now

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:22 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 125 of 284
Jump to: