DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Vin wrote:
delaluz wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
I'm okay losing Dennis for nothing this offseason. I'm confident THT will fill in the role perfectly...turnovers and all.

It’s not as easy as just saying “I’m okay losing Schroeder for nothing this off season” because we don’t have any cap space to get someone to fill a void like he does, what the FO can do is seek S&T scenarios, Maybe we bring in Compton born.. DeRozan.. I’m also not confident that THT is ready for a full time role next year.

If Schroeder leaves us for the Knicks I would try to get Elfrid Payton (the Knicks would let him go if the get Schroeder). Payton isn't a good 3pt shooter but the rest of his game is very solid. He can penetrate somewhat, he finishes his layups, and he doesn't leave his feet and throw desperation passes when he dribbles in the paint.

He should be last on the list.

I agree Dennis is better than Payton overall, but he should give us all some perspective.

Both of them shoot 47% eFG... but at least Elfrid has a career 3 to 1 turnover ratio. They both have the same player efficiency rating. People would find it pure insanity if we paid him 84 million for four years.

Payton has never made more than the 8 million he's making this year.

I'm not sure it would be much of a downgrade if we drafted someone like Juzang (instant scoring) and used Payton to hold down the ship until he was NBA ready.

At least you wouldn't be tied down to a garbage contract that way.

People keep saying well if we sign him, at least we have assets to trade... I just don't know if anyone trades for him at 21 million plus... Not even the Knicks or Orlando.

Maybe if someone can demonstrate an actual scenario with real players I might understand what this trade looks like... but no one will even try to explain that. Have been asking for months for an real example of what a trade with Schroder and an 84 million plus contract might look like.

No one seems to be able to think of an example... saying we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I think it is hard to trade him on his first year of his 4 years (or more) contract but once it gets to the final two seasons of his contract, that's more likely when a trade will happen. By that time, we can use him as a salary match along with our future draft picks and THT for a player we want. That's also why the Clippers gave Luke Kennard that contract.

Luke Kennard who's shooting 60% including 46% from three at 14 million I understand that contract as an asset... Dennis at over 21 million a year who can only make basic passes to someone standing next to him or in a straight line I understand much less.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Vin wrote:
delaluz wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
I'm okay losing Dennis for nothing this offseason. I'm confident THT will fill in the role perfectly...turnovers and all.

It’s not as easy as just saying “I’m okay losing Schroeder for nothing this off season” because we don’t have any cap space to get someone to fill a void like he does, what the FO can do is seek S&T scenarios, Maybe we bring in Compton born.. DeRozan.. I’m also not confident that THT is ready for a full time role next year.

If Schroeder leaves us for the Knicks I would try to get Elfrid Payton (the Knicks would let him go if the get Schroeder). Payton isn't a good 3pt shooter but the rest of his game is very solid. He can penetrate somewhat, he finishes his layups, and he doesn't leave his feet and throw desperation passes when he dribbles in the paint.

He should be last on the list.

I agree Dennis is better than Payton overall, but he should give us all some perspective.

Both of them shoot 47% eFG... but at least Elfrid has a career 3 to 1 turnover ratio. They both have the same player efficiency rating. People would find it pure insanity if we paid him 84 million for four years.

Payton has never made more than the 8 million he's making this year.

I'm not sure it would be much of a downgrade if we drafted someone like Juzang (instant scoring) and used Payton to hold down the ship until he was NBA ready.

At least you wouldn't be tied down to a garbage contract that way.

People keep saying well if we sign him, at least we have assets to trade... I just don't know if anyone trades for him at 21 million plus... Not even the Knicks or Orlando.

Maybe if someone can demonstrate an actual scenario with real players I might understand what this trade looks like... but no one will even try to explain that. Have been asking for months for an real example of what a trade with Schroder and an 84 million plus contract might look like.

No one seems to be able to think of an example... saying we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I think it is hard to trade him on his first year of his 4 years (or more) contract but once it gets to the final two seasons of his contract, that's more likely when a trade will happen. By that time, we can use him as a salary match along with our future draft picks and THT for a player we want. That's also why the Clippers gave Luke Kennard that contract.

Luke Kennard who's shooting 60% including 46% from three at 14 million I understand that contract as an asset... Dennis at over 21 million a year who can only make basic passes to someone standing next to him or in a straight line I understand much less.

How about the defense and penetration? Again, when the team is over the cap limit, saving money is not gonna help building this team. By resigning him, at the very least, a trade can be made by using him as an expiring contract in the future.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

<snip>

Ultimately, the Lakers will have to take a risk. Signing DS to a big contract is a risk, but so is letting him walk. Either decision could work out well, and either decision could blow up in our face.

But the fundamental thing is that the Lakers are focused on the moment, not on what the situation is going to be 3 years from now

Fair point, but the question is: is there a point where you draw the line? Let's say the Knicks offer $120m (presumably 4/30) - do the Lakers match/exceed? This year is a done deal anyways, so we're talking 2022 onwards really, where every year Lebron will diminish - thus increasing the team's need for rejuvenation/trades.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

Let.him.go.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

DS has way over valued himself.
His speed is elite but he is not a playmaker. And his shooting doesn't stand out. His defense is good to excellent.

It remains to be seen if he is a winner.
This season will tell the tale.
It may be best for the Lakers that he did not take the 84M extension.

There are PGs to be drafted to prepare for when Lebron retires.
That would be a must path to take.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject:

I don’t quite get the arguing over his contract at this point.
Off-season yes.

But for now he’s a Laker and while I have and continue to see him in the KCP/Kuz level talent/value for the Lakers, just like with those guys last year 100 percent hope he does extremely well in the playoffs.

I did read an article today that said outside of Knicks (who won’t get into a big bid for him) no team with cap space will make him the focal point. This may end up working out for the Lakers... we never know.

For now, hope he shoots the 3 better, but that combo of having Drummond inside, AD at the 4 to move all over on D, LBJ, and then Dennis-Caruso as a 1-2 combo on D at the 1 ..... gonna be fun watching us defend at playoff intensity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
My strong suspicion is that DS will ultimately sign a contract, either with us or someone else, at a price you will not think is reasonable.

I agree. Somebody will pay him what he wants. I've seen worse players get overpayed before. Usually by teams who don't make it far in the playoffs if they make it at all.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

If Lakers lose DS they should’ve just traded him back to Atlanta for Rondo.
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

I wish we had taken the deal for Chris Paul if it were really available— Kuzma, Green, and #28 for Chris Paul. Even 35 year old CP3 has turned the Suns into a contender.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

I wish we had taken the deal for Chris Paul if it were really available— Kuzma, Green, and #28 for Chris Paul. Even 35 year old CP3 has turned the Suns into a contender.

You’re like 20 million short. You have to convince KCP to S&T to make it happen.

I believe we can win though with Schroder. I like his feistiness and his defense. I’m just hoping his 3 ball will be playoff ready.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
governator wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
governator wrote:
CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:
We're not "saving" money for any other player. So again, if we have to slightly overpay to keep Schroeder, we should be doing it. Keeping this core together is very important moving forward, especially as LeBron gets older.

Depends on his playoff performance. I think him hesitating to sign an extension is more favorable for us. Hes definitely an asset but he’s a luxury more than a necessity . I think the odds of keeping him is in line with us winning it all. If we don’t , I can see our FO moving on and hopefully execute S&T and unleash THT.

love THT but DS > THT by a lot, our PG is a need not luxury, Bron is 37, can't have him be PG full time

Completely disagree. Just by this game for example, THT got 11 assists without committing 10,000 turnovers.

Plus if we had THT the game before, we would have won.

I already trust THT’s ball handling/play making more than I do with Schroder. Schroder has literally ONE gear. For some reason, Schroder forgot how to pull up mid-range these days.

This. I don’t know how we can afford DS if we want to keep Andre Drummond. I think THT can be starting pg by next season.

can't just give DS money to AD2 (there's a scenario tho, it's in emplay's article)

DS just rejected a 4 yr 84 million extension meaning he wants to get paid somewhere around $25-27 mil a yr. I would rather use the money and maybe sign Spencer Dinwiddie for around $12-14 mil a yr.

Where are you getting 12-14m in cap space?

We don’t have the cap space. That is why I think we will not sign DS. THT will start at point guard and get a back up point guard using out first round draft pick. IMHO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:

We don’t have the cap space. That is why I think we will not sign DS. THT will start at point guard and get a back up point guard using out first round draft pick. IMHO.

I think we want to sign Dennis, that's why Rob made that huge offer (which goes above what I personally value Dennis at, i.e. 18-20m). I'm not sure the team thinks THT is ready to be a starting PG, which is why they...made that huge extension offer to Dennis (but they have high hopes for THT, which is why they didn't include him in the Lowry trade offer).
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Just a reminder, being over cap, DS is the ONLY player/PG we can sign over cap, other FA gotta be mini MLE or min. Gotta keep this in mind when discussing
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject:

This is a good sign:

Last 25 games he's shooting 38.6% from 3s on 3.3 attempts a game.

Last 10 games, he's shooting 42.9% from 3s on 3.8 attempts a game.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

For the year, he's shooting 34.3% from 3.

Kuz is 34.6%.

Sharpshooters McLemore (34.5%) and Wes (33.1%).

AD is shooting a poor 29.3%, but smaller sample size.

Then THT is at 26.2%, Trez 0%.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
This is a good sign:

Last 25 games he's shooting 38.6% from 3s on 3.3 attempts a game.

Last 10 games, he's shooting 42.9% from 3s on 3.8 attempts a game.

Nice! Ten games is a good sample size too. That’s without being set up by the likes of LeBron either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Game like today is why Dennis had tremendous value on this team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Guy is playing hurt and giving 100%. But some people’s feelings are hurt bc he didn’t take an 84m extension. Let’s try to root for our guys, no?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Game like today is why Dennis had tremendous value on this team.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject:

In overtime, the Jazz couldn't stop DS from getting to the rack, he is lightning quick!
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Great game by DS. His value is apparent, and it's also apparent what we will miss if he leaves us without any assets in return. Like most fans in most sports, we tend to look at what a player doesn't do..

With DS, he doesn't focus on playmaking, though he did a pretty good job of that today, but what he does do is bring incredible speed, adequate defense, and a player who undoubtedly lessens the load for LeBron.

If we win another banner with what he brings, you sign him, even if a little over pay. If we do not win another banner, and his number is still a little too high, we try to work out an S&T.

Ya'll can argue til the resolution of the season if you want to.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Imagine the attack angles he will have with AD/LBJ. Right now teams are game planning him.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject:

It's wonderful that for our Title defense we bring in such an amazing player at PG Happy to cheer for him on our team
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I think Rob already has an idea of how he wants to structure the team and Dennis max money is probably $20mm.

If he wants more he will go elsewhere.

Like I said before you can bring in a vet for $5-10mm like Lowry or Dragic this offseason. Then maybe nab an extra backup like TJ McConnell or Elfrid Payton.

Plus with Dennis gone we likely keep both AC and THT.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Guy is playing hurt and giving 100%. But some people’s feelings are hurt bc he didn’t take an 84m extension. Let’s try to root for our guys, no?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 126 of 284
Jump to: