DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Loyalty???

KOBE2007MVP wrote:
Green was a good vet and played an important role in the playoffs for us.
Also, remember how DG waited so patiently for us while we're desperate to sign Kawaii who ultimately screwed us, he could have signed with another team then.
Not a loyal move by the Lakers

Green didn't wait to help us out. He thought we had a better chance to win than Dallas, so he was waiting out of his own self-interest.

There is no loyalty in the NBA -- just mutual self-interest.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Loyalty???

activeverb wrote:
KOBE2007MVP wrote:
Also, remember how DG waited so patiently for us while we're desperate to sign Kawaii who ultimately screwed us, he could have signed with another team then.

Green didn't wait to help us out. He thought we had a better chance to win than Dallas, so he was waiting out of his own self-interest.

Agreed.
Smoothness101
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Loyalty???

activeverb wrote:
KOBE2007MVP wrote:

Yup. Any player with a decent agent would have done the same.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Loyalty???

activeverb wrote:
KOBE2007MVP wrote:

Agreed AV.

Not to mention the Lakers signed him to far and away the fattest contract of his career.....and that money is guaranteed no matter who he plays for.

Win/Win for both parties as I see it.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Loyalty???

LakerLanny wrote:
activeverb wrote:
KOBE2007MVP wrote:

Agreed AV.

Not to mention the Lakers signed him to far and away the fattest contract of his career.....and that money is guaranteed no matter who he plays for.

I'd say the Lakers have a pretty solid reputation for treating players right anyways compared to many other teams in the NBA. DG will still end up on a contending team at some point in the upcoming season and still be cashing a massive check regardless.

Plenty of people complain on both sides whether it's the player or management but imo the things that can somewhat blemish a franchise for at least a short period is a Celtics/Isaiah level situation. I don't think anyone got more screwed over by management in NBA history (that I can think of at least) then Oscar Robertson.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Loyalty???

Nice deal for the Lakers. Hopefully, he continues to get better (as I like what I saw in OKC) and sign an extension with the team.

An athletic 18.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg and 4 apg for Danny Green and 28. Thank you Rob!
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm just now hearing about this on Access SportsNet... hmmmmm
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Windhorst on the Zach Lowe podcast said Pelinka has been wanting Schroder for a while and almost traded for Schroder back at the 2019 trade deadline, but didn't. Also, said that LeBron has been wanting to play with Schroder for a while and really likes game, and that Pelinka has been wanting to trade for Schroder or Derrick Rose for a while.

Last edited by JPaulK0n on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Has this trade been made official yet? I thought when the news broke yesterday that the teams could make it official on Monday. Haven’t seen any official statement or anything.

I’m hoping no one gets cold feet here after all the moves announced tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Has this trade been made official yet? I thought when the news broke yesterday that the teams could make it official on Monday. Haven’t seen any official statement or anything.

I’m hoping no one gets cold feet here after all the moves announced tonight.

The Lakers have to draft a player for OKC first before it can become official.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Windhorst on the Zach Lowe podcast said Pelinka has been wanting Schroder for a while and almost traded for Schroder back at the 2019 trade deadline, but didn't. Also, said that LeBron has been wanting to play with Schroder for a while and really likes game, and that Pelinka has been wanting to trade for Schroder or Derrick Rose for a while.

this makes me
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Loyalty???

hype wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
activeverb wrote:
KOBE2007MVP wrote:

Agreed AV.

I'd say the Lakers have a pretty solid reputation for treating players right anyways compared to many other teams in the NBA. DG will still end up on a contending team at some point in the upcoming season and still be cashing a massive check regardless.

Plenty of people complain on both sides whether it's the player or management but imo the things that can somewhat blemish a franchise for at least a short period is a Celtics/Isaiah level situation. I don't think anyone got more screwed over by management in NBA history (that I can think of at least) then Oscar Robertson.

I don't know that we really treat players any differently than other teams.

When Wilt left us for the ABA, we sued him, and effectively ended his career.

We traded Gasol, Odom, Nixon, and other guys who helped us win rings.

We let guys like Fisher and Horry leave because they wanted too much money.

As far as Boston, I don't think the Isaiah thing affected them at all. They still had no trouble getting top free agents.

The NBA is a business, not a social club.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Loyalty???

[quote="activeverb"][quote="hype"][quote="LakerLanny"][quote="activeverb"][quote="KOBE2007MVP"]Green was a good vet and played an important role in the playoffs for us.
Not a loyal move by the Lakers [/quote]

There is no loyalty in the NBA -- just mutual self-interest.[/quote]

Agreed AV.

Win/Win for both parties as I see it.[/quote]

Plenty of people complain on both sides whether it's the player or management but imo the things that can somewhat blemish a franchise for at least a short period is a Celtics/Isaiah level situation. I don't think anyone got more screwed over by management in NBA history (that I can think of at least) then Oscar Robertson.[/quote]

I don't know that we really treat players any differently than other teams.

When Wilt left us for the ABA, we sued him, and effectively ended his career.

We traded Gasol, Odom, Nixon, and other guys who helped us win rings.

We let guys like Fisher and Horry leave because they wanted too much money.

As far as Boston, I don't think the Isaiah thing affected them at all. They still had no trouble getting top free agents.

The NBA is a business, not a social club.[/quote]

Thanks to the contribution of DG. But he plays for the franchise for 1 year only and haven’t given up anything for the franchise. It’s fair to Lakers treat it in business way. Besides, the ultimate goal to all players of the team is repeat/championship. You have to earn a spot here too.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject:

This is a great pick up especially for what we traded. I don't think anyone would have been that surprised if Kuzma was part of this deal.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject:

This may be a stretch but I'm feeling a sneaky all star season from Dennis. Had the best season last year playing with CP3 and now has an even better team. Still ascending, could play starters minutes, and in a contract year.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Even with the Houston fire-sale, there's way too much guard depth in the West for him to sniff the all-star game

Dame, Steph, Klay, CJ, Murray, CP3, Booker, Mitchell, Morant, and DLO to name a few.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

this makes me

I haven't been following this thread, but I heard on the radio that Schroder was asked by german media just a week before the trade if there were any teams he wouldn't want to play for, and he named Lakers and Clippers. Is that true?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject:

so is ibaka gone
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

this makes me

I haven't been following this thread, but I heard on the radio that Schroder was asked by german media just a week before the trade if there were any teams he wouldn't want to play for, and he named Lakers and Clippers. Is that true?

No. He was under contract with OKC and somebody asked him about last year’s rumors of going to LAC or LAL. Just like any other smart player under contract with a team would say, he said essentially that he didn’t want to play for another team. Of course it got spun inaccurately as tends to happen with these terrible sports reporters.
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
so is ibaka gone

“no one's ever really gone”
crazylakerfan001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject:

I dont know why I'm getting Ramon Sessions Vibes from this trade.

In 2012 Lakers traded for Ramon Sessions in an attempt to get younger, quicker, and more athletic. Ramon Session would be replacing the role of Derek Fisher, who was an older savy veteran and many people thought he needed to retire. Ramon Session was a nice player off the bench during the season, but when asked to start he had a difficult time on both ends and was not much of a floor spacer.

In the playoffs where Sessions was our starting point guard, he struggled and missed crucial 3's in the playoff series against the OKC Thunder, the team that Fisher was on now. Everyone was talking about how if Lakers had Fisher instead of Sessions he would be making those shots that Sessions was missing.

Sometimes getting the better player is not the best option for a team that is already this good. Having players that fit the system is the key to successful playoff run and Green did fit with the system really well. Green, Similar to Fisher, was a floor spacer for the Star Players so they had more room to operate without getting doubled. Also like Fisher, Green wasn't popular with the fans and sometimes would be shaky, but when the going got tough in the playoffs you could rely on them to be open and get good looks and play very smart. Green provided a lot of high iq play during the playoffs, even when his shot wasn't falling he would always get to the right spot and people didn't want to leave him open.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject:

crazylakerfan001 wrote:
Sometimes getting the better player is not the best option for a team that is already this good. Having players that fit the system is the key to successful playoff run and Green did fit with the system really well. Green, Similar to Fisher, was a floor spacer for the Star Players so they had more room to operate without getting doubled. Also like Fisher, Green wasn't popular with the fans and sometimes would be shaky, but when the going got tough in the playoffs you could rely on them to be open and get good looks and play very smart. Green provided a lot of high iq play during the playoffs, even when his shot wasn't falling he would always get to the right spot and people didn't want to leave him open.

I sort of see your Sessions/Fisher analogy, though Fisher had a way of coming up big in the playoffs. Fisher would have done better on that three pointer at the end of game five of the Finals. He might not have made it, but he wouldn't have looked surprised.

Anyway, it is important to remember that Schroder is NOT replacing Green. They play different positions and will have different roles. Schroder is shorter and smaller than Green. Schroder shot a career-best .385 from three last season. Green is a career .400 shooter. Unless Schroder has really blossomed as a three point shooter, we will need someone else to handle Green's role on both offense and defense.

This is why I am warming up to this trade. We should look at Schroder as an added feature, not as a like-for-like replacement for Green. Think of this as an upgrade for the Bradley/Rondo slot. We didn't get much offense from that slot in the regular season. We should now.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

crazylakerfan001 wrote:
I dont know why I'm getting Ramon Sessions Vibes from this trade.

In 2012 Lakers traded for Ramon Sessions in an attempt to get younger, quicker, and more athletic. Ramon Session would be replacing the role of Derek Fisher, who was an older savy veteran and many people thought he needed to retire. Ramon Session was a nice player off the bench during the season, but when asked to start he had a difficult time on both ends and was not much of a floor spacer.

In the playoffs where Sessions was our starting point guard, he struggled and missed crucial 3's in the playoff series against the OKC Thunder, the team that Fisher was on now. Everyone was talking about how if Lakers had Fisher instead of Sessions he would be making those shots that Sessions was missing.

My first thought was that your comparison was way off, but then when I compared their numbers, they were alarmingly similar. Still by the eye test Schroeder seems a much more dynamic player. I hope you are wrong but those numbers are hard to ignore.

Schroeder vs. Sessions
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject:

Sessions was a deer lost in the headlights when he joined. You could see the stage was TOO big for him, and he had to play with Kobe.

I do not get that impression with DS. He played well in the most recent playoffs. I think he will be a much needed injection of swagger and scoring punch at the guard position, something we have lacked for a long time.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

Sessions sucked. All around just a bad player. When I watched DS against the Rockets he just killed it on offense in a way Sessions never could even on his best day.

The comparison is a bad one
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 28 of 284
Jump to: