DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Rob committed a larceny getting DS. Nobody is going to ever want to trade with him again for fear that they get their pants pulled down. I love all the off season moves, but this one is going to be the best.

It was a good trade looking at first, but Danny Green has value. Look at what Philly gave up, or how easy it was to re-direct him. Contenders have value for Green. And then, we also gave up a draft pick.

Lakers gave up more than other teams were willing. That is why they pulled away from other teams. Schroder is a good player, but right now he is not seen as a starting level PG on a contender, rather a 6th man on a playoff team. Green was a starter on a ring team. I do not think the trade was one sided at all. You give up to get, and that is what Rob did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

To those who think AC won't be traded, you may be right. He's a sparkplug off the bench. I think his minutes will be determined by how well Dennis plays. Again on second thought, Dennis is more a replacement for Rondo than the removal of AC.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
To those who think AC won't be traded, you may be right. He's a sparkplug off the bench. I think his minutes will be determined by how well Dennis plays. Again on second thought, Dennis is more a replacement for Rondo than the removal of AC.

He might get traded but the player coming back for the package gotta be super attractive
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

Bear in mind, we have to extend the following players next season (assuming LBJ opts in):

DS
AC
THT
Kuz
Trez
Wes

Lots of moving pieces. I would go forward with a 2 star team (unlikely Giannis comes), and have DEPTH with most of this year's squad being re-signed.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Rob committed a larceny getting DS. Nobody is going to ever want to trade with him again for fear that they get their pants pulled down. I love all the off season moves, but this one is going to be the best.

It was a good trade looking at first, but Danny Green has value. Look at what Philly gave up, or how easy it was to re-direct him. Contenders have value for Green. And then, we also gave up a draft pick.

Lakers gave up more than other teams were willing. That is why they pulled away from other teams. Schroder is a good player, but right now he is not seen as a starting level PG on a contender, rather a 6th man on a playoff team. Green was a starter on a ring team. I do not think the trade was one sided at all. You give up to get, and that is what Rob did.

This is not a slight on DG (although his skills were diminishing because of age/injuries). It really does not matter what other teams were willing to give (I was not privy to offers so I can not comment on them). That being said, we stole this kid (it may not be as apparent now as it will be in the future). We got a younger, more versatile player (barely entering his prime) whose skill set is in perfect harmony of what this team needs (mostly a scorer who can create his own shot). This kid will be huge, especially for load management (which will be critical in the back end of 2 crazy seasons). This trade will go down as one of our best in recent memory.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

On trades that didn't require Mayflower movers we win. I thought we lost when we let Ivica Zubac move across the hall. We've more than made up with the acquisition of Montrezl Harrel.

Initially, I thought hiring Pelinka was a mistake forged by friendship rather than acumen. Man, was I 180 out. Rob is kicking ass. Jury's still out on Vogel.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

They filled the bench creator hole while diminishing defense. We will see if that was the right choice.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They filled the bench creator hole while diminishing defense. We will see if that was the right choice.

What are you talking about?

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It seems pretty basic but Schroeder fills the need for a secondary initiator but losing Green and Bradley set the defense back. Matthews is ok but Schroeder isn’t much of a defender.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It seems pretty basic but Schroeder fills the need for a secondary initiator but losing Green and Bradley set the defense back. Matthews is ok but Schroeder isn’t much of a defender.

Schroeder replaces Rondo, unclear if there's much of a difference on D.
Matthews replaces Green, so there it's a swap of Matthews' man D vs Green's team D.
In theory, THT replaces Bradley, so yes, Bradley's POA D has been lost - on the other hand Bradley didn't play at all during the playoffs so this does not appear to be a material difference.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

stats show wes/gasol and even caruso are all pretty good defenders. so we lose 2 but gain 2.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Green and Bradley didn't live up to expectations. They were bought onboard for offense, not defense. They got Dennis to fill the void left by Rondo. Rondo wasn't much of a defender.

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

Has PelicansClippersFan liked any moves post Jim and Mitch?
Lakerwayne
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Green and Bradley didn't live up to expectations. They were bought onboard for offense, not defense. They got Dennis to fill the void left by Rondo. Rondo wasn't much of a defender.

Green and Bradley brought on board for offense????
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject:

Lakerwayne wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Weren't both signed for their 3 point shooting? Green played good D so did
Bradley but I looked for them to score from behind the line.

Lakerwayne
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Lakerwayne wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Weren't both signed for their 3 point shooting? Green played good D so did
Bradley but I looked for them to score from behind the line.

Nah Bradley has always been known for his defense by far his best attribute. He’s not even a very good shooter honestly he’s ok sometimes. Green ya is a 3 and D player I suppose but his 3 has always been sorta inconsistent his consistent defense keeps him in the league and allows him to keep getting contracts. These guys brought defense which is why they were signed and why they were starters as well, to set a defensive tone at the start of games.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

^^^ OK. Does anybody miss Playoff Rondo? I'm gonna miss him. He was a big reason we brought home the Larry O'Brien. We were going to lose him to FA. 2.6 mil vs 2 year 15 mil. No brainer.

He'll be a great teaching tool for Trae Young, and John Collins,

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Schroder averaged about 19 ppg in 30 mpg while shooting 46.9% from the field and 38.5% from downtown for a legit playoff team. If he keeps up that level of production, he's absolutely a starter on a contender.

He's not the greatest passer, but if he's playing next to CP3 or LeBron he's good enough.

I agree that the trade wasn't one-sided, but we filled our biggest need, and we may have replaced Green with Wesley Matthews at a small fraction of the price, as long as Matthews doesn't decline given his age.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Hard disagree that Schroder is a bad defender as well. He was never awful but made strides last season from what I seen/read/checked stats. I'm curious to see how he meshes and plays on this team but i'm very confident saying he will be a plus defender and offensively he's a huge upgrade.

There's quite a few good breakdowns but here's one I have handy that I believe I posted once already but it's a good read! I suggest checking out more though to get different perspectives.
https://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2020/5/31/21271703/film-analysis-dennis-schroder

He still has plenty of work on but he has shown great anticipation & high bbiq which are things that simply can't be taught. His positioning, full court defense, switching etc. has all improved from all accounts I heard which a lot of it was from being able to pick CP3's brain for the entire season which also took him to another level as an off the ball threat which will help greatly obviously when playing alongside Lebron. The more I look into him the more impressed/excited I am to see him in p&g and I fully believe he can still improve on both ends as well. Absolutely love this trade personally, far and away my favorite pickup of the off season and I liked them all.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
On trades that didn't require Mayflower movers we win. I thought we lost when we let Ivica Zubac move across the hall. We've more than made up with the acquisition of Montrezl Harrel.

Initially, I thought hiring Pelinka was a mistake forged by friendship rather than acumen. Man, was I 180 out. Rob is kicking ass. Jury's still out on Vogel.

What are you talking about? PJ once said something to the effect... that the job of a coach is to not eff it up if you've been given a championship roster on a platter. Vogel inherited a great roster, but it had holes and it wasn't the favorite. Getting #17 qualifies as not effing it up.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What are you talking about? PJ once said something to the effect... that the job of a coach is to not eff it up if you've been given a championship roster on a platter. Vogel inherited a great roster, but it had holes and it wasn't the favorite. Getting #17 qualifies as not effing it up.

Exactly, watching the Playoffs and how he was making fantastic counters not only in-between games but even halves. It was night and day watching the coaching of the Clippers compared to us. Or seeing stubborn big name coaches like say MDA not make any real adjustments throughout pretty much the entire Playoffs which puts a huge handicap on your team imo when facing elite coaches in the Playoffs. Plus he also is highly responsible right along with Lebron for creating that great locker room and not giving anyone special treatment along with getting the entire roster to buy in defensively with pretty much no complaining roster wide.

imo he did a pretty incredible job for a 1st season coach regardless of the roster he was given.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bear in mind, we have to extend the following players next season (assuming LBJ opts in):

Lots of moving pieces. I would go forward with a 2 star team (unlikely Giannis comes), and have DEPTH with most of this year's squad being re-signed.

In Laker Fantasyland:

Giannis is a FA at the same time LeBron is and with the cap room, Lakers sign Giannis and LeBron returns for the Vet Min, (since he probably pulls in a hundred million a year OUTSIDE of basketball), then the Lakers trounce thru the league setting a new all time record (something like 75-7...lol) and LeBron retires with his 7th Ring, passing Jordan and being declared the GOAT. After that the Lakers continue with AD & Giannis for a bunch more years...

And they lived happily ever after, the end...
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Has PelicansClippersFan liked any moves post Jim and Mitch?

All the ones that help us lose
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Complete apples to oranges Wolf. Comparing them like that is incongruous at best. It's almost universally agreed that we got a heist and upgraded in a MAJOR way.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Exactly, watching the Playoffs and how he was making fantastic counters not only in-between games but even halves. It was night and day watching the coaching of the Clippers compared to us. Or seeing stubborn big name coaches like say MDA not make any real adjustments throughout pretty much the entire Playoffs which puts a huge handicap on your team imo when facing elite coaches in the Playoffs. Plus he also is highly responsible right along with Lebron for creating that great locker room and not giving anyone special treatment along with getting the entire roster to buy in defensively with pretty much no complaining roster wide.

imo he did a pretty incredible job for a 1st season coach regardless of the roster he was given.

This. I've never seen so many adjustments from in game, to game to game to series by series. That's including Phil. The only "knock" one can put on Vogel is that he's not creative offensively but even that one is off. You're NEVER going to have a creative offense with a guy like Lebron for good reason. He's going to take over early and often in terms of playmaking.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 32 of 284
Jump to: