DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

I'm happy when a guy who is more than capable of being a starter thinks he should be a...starter. This is good news. Stagger his minutes with LBJ and we are fine.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Starters :
Dennis Shroeder
Wesley Matthews
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Marc Gasol

Bench:
Alex Caruso
THT
KCP
Kyle Kuzma / MarKieff Morris
Montrezl Harrell

Makes sense.

This is what I see too.

KCP in the Bubble guarded the opposing team's PG; Green took the bigger wing guard. We all know KCP with his slight frame struggles against bigger wing guards but Wes does not.

If Dennis starts, then we're trying to replace Green's spot so that should be Wes. I would stagger Dennis/LBJ's minutes. It would also let LBJ take it a bit easy too with the starters.

KCP came off the bench last year too when Bradley and Green were healthy. So it makes sense.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Re Schroder expressing he wants / will start.

Can it be a concern? Yes. Is it actually a concern to me, I would defer to the side of it is likely not.

Why can it be a concern? Potential locker room or floor issues if sulking results and the player is not playing their role. I do not believe Schroder has that reputation, but it's a reasonable possibility of a person of his age, solid skill, and desire to not just be a "role player." Compare to the fact that folks he replaced from last year were all essentially role players / vets.

Why is it not actually a concern to me? LBJ has shown time and again he has a very strong leadership presence and can, at least for a year, keep these issues to a minimum (assuming they even exist). Heck, he dealt with, and won a championship with, a guy with an ego so large it needs its own zip code (Kyrie), before Kyrie finally wanted out. Additionally, I believe the FO, LBJ / AD, and the coaching staff, will do what's best for this team - they deserve the benefit of the doubt. I suppose what makes me go "hmmm" is what is different than last year when the rest of the crew was like "I will do whatever is asked of me." So, while I am not concerned, I will keep 1/10 of an eye on it, as a fan

I will say this however - ideally it would seem that Schroder fills in for LBJ as the play maker off the bench. With both "starting", I wonder who comes in if both LBJ and Schroder rest to run the offense? Caruso perhaps? He can "do it" but I do not believe he is a very good pg. With that said, I suppose that could work, as could how minutes are staggered with lineups. In the end, as long as Schroder starts into the mid of the first quarter, and is part of the closing lineup (assuming his size / defense is not an issue), he (and most other NBA players) typically do not seem to care how their minutes are issued across the other 35-40 minutes of the game as long as they get them.

Just my 2 cents.
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Are people really panicking over comments

Once players get into the lockerroom this no longer matters
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject:

I have said it before a couple times but I have read quite a bit, looked at a decent amount of video and then what I remember from the few games I watched last season but I think CP3 helped him make a massive jump on both ends. Having CP3 mentor him for a season versus Westbrook the previous year was EXTREMELY evident. You look at his true shooting percentage last season which was 57.3% and pretty much neck to neck with Bradley Beal and Kemba Walker who are quarterback all stars for there teams.

His defense which always showed signs and flashes of greatness was supposedly always inconsistent throughout the seasons of past but last season he was consistently great and was always fighting through screens, picking up guys full court and using his athleticism and quickness to smother his man. The stats also back this up as last season he had a defensive rating of 103 which according to an article I read was the best among all guards NBA wide with at least 45 games played and 28 minutes per night.

He is absolutely already an elite p&r player as the receiver but has grown a decent amount last season as the operator and still has a ways to go but considering he'll go from having CP3 mentoring him to now having Lebron, Vogel, Handy etc. it's not hard to imagine him having another jump in his play this upcoming season across the board.

All this talk about him starting is def. not new or surprising for people that have looked much into his past. That was supposedly one of the driving factors for his determination last season was that he wanted to prove he was a starter. He never caused any drama or locker room problems with it from what I could find, it was more so a friendly challenge just pushing himself to a level where you had to start him because his play was so good.

I don't see a big issue with it as he'll be clearly playing much more minutes then LBJ will probably be playing in the regular season anyways so he will still have time to be the primary handler during solid stretches. Like he just said, he could help give Lebron some plays off as that primary playmaker and also bring the ball up which will be very beneficial for a long season as Lebron is only getting older.

He'll clearly be closing most games out regardless and be up there with the top guys in minutes played so i'm sure Vogel and company will keep him informed along the way and try many different bench and starting rotations throughout the season.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Reading the comment vs listening to the comment are WAY different experiences.

When I read the comment, in the back of my mind I was like 'ra'uh roh' we might have a problem.

Then I went and listened to him actually say it and was like...this is a nothing burger. He expects to start because he should.

What I find interesting is that a few people latched on to the quote and failed to mention that he was already in the gym sweating and was taking a break in between his own 2 a day workouts to field a couple of questions.

Dude has this level of talent and this level of work ethic then yeah, he should start.

DS
KCP
Bron
AD
Marc

You don't pay KCP the kind of money he earned following his playoff performance to bench him for a dude 7 years older on a 1 year vet minimum.

You don't trade for a player like DS and pay him 15 to 17M per to bench him for a dude 7 years older on a 1 year vet minimum either.

Wes will play a lot of minutes and be a candidate to close games too. If he's hands down better than either KCP or DS then either player is severely underachieving and we have problems.

#BannersOverBillboards
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

When I read the comment, in the back of my mind I was like 'ra'uh roh' we might have a problem.

Then I went and listened to him actually say it and was like...this is a nothing burger. He expects to start because he should.

What I find interesting is that a few people latched on to the quote and failed to mention that he was already in the gym sweating and was taking a break in between his own 2 a day workouts to field a couple of questions.

Dude has this level of talent and this level of work ethic then yeah, he should start.

DS
KCP
Bron
AD
Marc

You don't pay KCP the kind of money he earned following his playoff performance to bench him for a dude 7 years older on a 1 year vet minimum.

You don't trade for a player like DS and pay him 15 to 17M per to bench him for a dude 7 years older on a 1 year vet minimum either.

Wes will play a lot of minutes and be a candidate to close games too. If he's hands down better than either KCP or DS then either player is severely underachieving and we have problems.

Matthews should start over KCP because of Kawhi
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

DS
KCP
Bron
AD
Marc

He may in those games. Also in games against Miami.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Starter?

Ring?

Starter?

Ring?

Starter?

Ring?

I think he'll figure out priorities once he arrives. He probably has already. Newscasters gonna broadcast the part that sells.

If starting and the ring go together ... great ... if not ... the Ring's the thing.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
Car54 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

DS
KCP
Bron
AD
Marc

Those may be "Kuzma" games if he can show defensive improvement.

A man can dream.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lakers can add a lot to their offense with Schroder starting, I see the positives. My issue is that championship teams need role players who are going to do whatever it takes to win. Not look for their own numbers and stats and minutes. Already I get that feeling with Schroder with his comments and had some concerns about this.

It is not about whether Schro is better than Wesley or KCP. Avery Bradley started last year and KCP came off the bench. Caruso was not in our plans as a regular rotation guy. By NBA Finals time, Caruso started and KCP was our playoff starter all year round. Vogel will figure things out.

We just need Dennis to not have a mentality of me first. If he has to come off the bench he needs to take that in stride. If he has to be a leader of the 2nd unit, again take that with pride. If he is the guy that starts but then does not close as he is not the best wing defender or guard defensive match up, again he needs to embrace that stuff as he is not the star of the team, he is a role player. At most he will average 12-14 points a game on this squad, is my guess. There is a lot of talent. I hope he understands this, and it would be great if that were his approach in the end.

Schroder needs to score more than that. First, he's too good to be relegated to being a role player. Second, with LeBron turning 36 and possibly taking games off for "load management" and also playing less minutes, Schroder needs to be fully utilized instead of reigned in.

We need to conserve LeBron during the regular season the way the Lakers did with Kareem in the 80s when Magic and Worthy gradually assumed more of the offensive load as Kareem aged.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
Car54 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

DS
KCP
Bron
AD
Marc

Those may be "Kuzma" games if he can show defensive improvement.

A man can dream.

"To Dream...the impossible Dream. To Bear...with unbearable sorrow. This is Kuzma's Quest. No matter how hopeless...no matter how far(away)"
(yeah, I deleted a few lines - with respect to Joe Darion. From the Man of La Mancha - which I was forced to play in during highschool)
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

DS
KCP
Bron
AD
Marc

Favorite quotes from John Wooden

"If we magnified blessings as much as we magnify disappointments, we would all be much happier." ~ John Wooden

"Winning takes talent; to repeat takes character." ~ John Wooden

"The ability to see the good in others and the bad in ourselves is perfect vision." ~ John Wooden

"Promise yourself you will talk health, happiness, and prosperity as often as possible. Promise to think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best in yourself and others. Promise to forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements in the future." ~ John Wooden

"What is right is more important than who is right." ~ John Wooden

"Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you." ~ John Wooden

"We can agree to disagree, but we don’t need to be disagreeable." ~ John Wooden

"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition." ~ John Wooden

"Seek opportunities to show you care. The smallest gestures often make the biggest difference." ~ John Wooden

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~ John Wooden

We are champions because players like KCP emerged into the best version of themselves and sacrificed for the greatness of the team.

If he can't do the job then I'm sure we'll adjust. But I'd rather give a champion a chance to be a champion before I assume a snake is a more formidable to a honey badger than a honey badger is to a snake.

Just how i see it.

#BannersOverBillboards
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Car54 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

DS
KCP
Bron
AD
Marc

"If we magnified blessings as much as we magnify disappointments, we would all be much happier." ~ John Wooden

"The ability to see the good in others and the bad in ourselves is perfect vision." ~ John Wooden

"Promise yourself you will talk health, happiness, and prosperity as often as possible. Promise to think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best in yourself and others. Promise to forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements in the future." ~ John Wooden

"Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you." ~ John Wooden

"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition." ~ John Wooden

"Seek opportunities to show you care. The smallest gestures often make the biggest difference." ~ John Wooden

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~ John Wooden

We are champions because players like KCP emerged into the best version of themselves and sacrificed for the greatness of the team.

If he can't do the job then I'm sure we'll adjust. But I'd rather give a champion a chance to be a champion before I assume a snake is a more formidable to a honey badger than a honey badger is to a snake.

Just how i see it.

Great post cervantes. Love the woodenisms.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm happy when a guy who is more than capable of being a starter thinks he should be a...starter. This is good news. Stagger his minutes with LBJ and we are fine.

He was a starter for two tears in Atlanta, but no way he is gonna start over CP3, so he is just wants to go back to being a starter, no harm in that..
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Car54 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

DS
KCP
Bron
AD
Marc

Just how i see it.

Thank you CervantesRises for sharing these timeless John Wooden quotes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
I have said it before a couple times but I have read quite a bit, looked at a decent amount of video and then what I remember from the few games I watched last season but I think CP3 helped him make a massive jump on both ends. Having CP3 mentor him for a season versus Westbrook the previous year was EXTREMELY evident. You look at his true shooting percentage last season which was 57.3% and pretty much neck to neck with Bradley Beal and Kemba Walker who are quarterback all stars for there teams.

His defense which always showed signs and flashes of greatness was supposedly always inconsistent throughout the seasons of past but last season he was consistently great and was always fighting through screens, picking up guys full court and using his athleticism and quickness to smother his man. The stats also back this up as last season he had a defensive rating of 103 which according to an article I read was the best among all guards NBA wide with at least 45 games played and 28 minutes per night.

He is absolutely already an elite p&r player as the receiver but has grown a decent amount last season as the operator and still has a ways to go but considering he'll go from having CP3 mentoring him to now having Lebron, Vogel, Handy etc. it's not hard to imagine him having another jump in his play this upcoming season across the board.

All this talk about him starting is def. not new or surprising for people that have looked much into his past. That was supposedly one of the driving factors for his determination last season was that he wanted to prove he was a starter. He never caused any drama or locker room problems with it from what I could find, it was more so a friendly challenge just pushing himself to a level where you had to start him because his play was so good.

I don't see a big issue with it as he'll be clearly playing much more minutes then LBJ will probably be playing in the regular season anyways so he will still have time to be the primary handler during solid stretches. Like he just said, he could help give Lebron some plays off as that primary playmaker and also bring the ball up which will be very beneficial for a long season as Lebron is only getting older.

He'll clearly be closing most games out regardless and be up there with the top guys in minutes played so i'm sure Vogel and company will keep him informed along the way and try many different bench and starting rotations throughout the season.

Great post. I for one look forward to having a near 20ppg game in the starting 5 alongside LeBron and AD. + Gasol's high passing IQ/great screens/ability to shoot + another 3&D guy (KCP to Matthews), and he's going to get a ton of easy shots while also being able to push the ball every opportunity he gets. All that will take a load of Bron. From there, his time with LeBron can be heavily staggered so you always have one of them on the court before closing 2nd and 4th quarter lines ups with both.

As you mentioned his jump in efficiency last year was more than impressive and I don't think that was a blip. Learning from a top PG of all time can do that. Now he'll have Handy as his development guy but also LeBron & Jason Kidd. The amount of basketball minds around to help him grow is hard to overlook. Starting him feels like the right move to me and with Harrell + Kuz we have 2 guys who can put up somewhere around 30ppg combined... DS might be overkill.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject:

I know the general opinion about Skip & Shannon on the board here, but they had a segment yesterday that made me thing. The segment covered Schroeder saying that he expects to come in and be our starting PG and they were generally thinking that it would cause issues within the locker room because LBJ is best as out premier point guard.

Correct me if I am wrong, but we have been looking since last season for a PG to come in and take the pressure and wear and tear off of LeBron that comes with playing the that position, which is exactly what Schroeder will do as a starter. No surprise, but Skip thinks that it spells big trouble with locker room chemistry, but I was under the assumption that we have been looking to do this since last year.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject:

Skip hates LeBron so he wants us to fail. He will take every chance to announce our doom.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
Skip hates LeBron so he wants us to fail. He will take every chance to announce our doom.

Agreed, but even SHANNON, the biggest LeBron shill ever, was agreeing.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

Not much of a fan of most of what the “analysts” talk about on their shows. Especially an attention whore like Bayless.

But I do agree it will be intriguing to see how the team meshes together with the new players and expected changes. James transitioning from primary ball handler to more off ball is not going to be easy.

Finding that balance of when to assert himself and when to let others lead the way. No superstar is ready to take a backseat. I’m assuming the Lakers will be just fine but I also expect some bumps along the road as they adjust.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject:

When Lebron runs the point, it allows him to control the pace and load manage in-game. I don't see how giving that responsibility to Dennis the Menace reduces Lebron's wear and tear, as many are mentioning.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject:

What Skip says this time of year has zero credibility IMO. I think Schroeder is going to see plenty of action, and I'm almost positive Vogel will try every combination in the book. Dennis is a very competitive player, I expect he'll come to realize early on that his ability to play team and individual defense will have a lot of influence on his status.

I agree with Cervante's comment, it's much different listening to a sound clip and getting the nuance of it, rather than reading it. But guys like Skip thrive on any drama they can drum up.

I suspect that Schroeder will earn that starting spot. Not by (bleep) about it, instead by being a very feisty competitor who plays well on both ends of the court. I don't this being a season of discord as long as everyone pulls their weight on defense, and I have no concerns in that regard among AC, KCP, Matthews or Schroeder.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
When Lebron runs the point, it allows him to control the pace and load manage in-game. I don't see how giving that responsibility to Dennis the Menace reduces Lebron's wear and tear, as many are mentioning.

LeBron can still run plays. Dennis can bring up the ball. That alone helps LeBron immensely when teams are pressuring him....
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
What Skip says this time of year has zero credibility IMO. I think Schroeder is going to see plenty of action, and I'm almost positive Vogel will try every combination in the book. Dennis is a very competitive player, I expect he'll come to realize early on that his ability to play team and individual defense will have a lot of influence on his status.

Yup. Fake ass troll. It's obvious even Skip doesn't believe the stuff he says. But props to him for making a ton of money off it.

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 37 of 284
Jump to: