Thank you MARC GASOL - traded with 2024 second pick to Memphis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 63, 64, 65  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
We were kind of poor at taking advantage of our vertical threats of Howard/McGee last year. We’d have moments but it was too easy to clog the paint with them. And ultimately in the playoffs it just didn’t work. Gasol is going to flip that on its head being a high post passer and three-point threat. Really curious to see how we take advantage. I think this will help our cutters like Kuz and AC. It will also make it easier for AD as he won’t always be pushed outside when playing with those guys.

And then you have LeBron and Schroder. Howard/McGee made it really tricky for LBJ to get downhill at times. We stole stuff like the Boston roll to help mitigate some of that but it was still there as an issue. And then Schroder basically had similar issues with his bigs. Now, both of our ballhandlers will have more ability to get to the rim. Just a little space makes a big difference.

Lastly, Montrezl didn’t play with floor spacing big himself. Gasol and AD allows you more flexibility in where and how you deploy him. Obviously, against a team like the Nuggets...that abuse he took is what everyone thinks about. Gasol allows you avoid that spanking and play Montrezl in more favorable defensive matchups.

Just a variety of ways Gasol should make the job easier on everyone. Pelinka is locked in. If this is his game, this signing was a fourth quarter dagger.

I don't get it. How does ol' Marc defend superstar Jokic and his variety of talents and instinct?

I digged a little bit to see if I could find some direct match up video from this year for you, could not really locate much of anything, closest was a 3 minute-ish highlights of play vs the Nuggets dated from August, but I did not find it particularly useful.

But to answer your question, if he can hold Embid to a donut...well...

Not saying to expect some dominance of Jokic, but it's more to keep him in check, make sure he doesnt go crazy. I think he can do that.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject:

It's funny some of you guys bring up Kwame Brown because he was apart of the Gasol trade. Imagine if there was a Kwame Brown type big today.. wouldn't be a bad option to body up Jokic in the playoffs, although he would be a net negative on offense. Anyway, M. Gasol is a solid signing for us
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
lakurluv wrote:
I truly don't understand this signing... I'm definitely a fan, but based on previous comments from Rob, it doesn't lineup. He's not a young star to pair with AD and he's not athletic, however can definitely keep AD from playing the 5.

Thank God Rob is GM. Gasol is veteran presence, the one we lost by Rondo leaving. You need to old guys, leaders on your team. Gasol is also good shooter, for his position quite good passer too and can rebound better than McGee.

One thing I think Gasol could gave the Lakers is a big that can spread the floor. What this can do is allow Davis to play the 4 against a smaller man and give him space and just play bully ball. I actually think that was the original plan last year with Cousins.

You may even see a pick and roll and pop with Gasol popping to the three and Davis rolling to the basket and Lebron originally handling the ball. You could put the ball in Gasol hands here also because he is a great passer.

I think many of us thought Lebron and Davis would go crazy with the pick and roll last year, but problem the lane was clogged with Howard or McGee. Now you don’t have this problem.

Come playoff time against Rockets and Miami ... McGee and Dwight were benched.

And how many mpg would Gasol have played in either of those series.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject:

This guy was a former DPOY and perennial All-Star now playing with AD and LeBron

He literally just has to play defense and make open 3’s.

He is one of the smartest players in the league and magically knows where he should be at all times.

I think he’s going to have an amazing year with us.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Gasol to Davis lobs for days
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Perfect fit as our starting 5. We'll play drop coverage and he's super smart defensively as a former DPOY. On offense, he provides the spacing with his shooting that we need next to Lebron and AD. His passing is just icing on the cake. Love it. Such a good move.

All hail Rob.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Great BBIQ
Knows how to play D
Can shoot
Great FT shooter
Good passer

vs

Slow
Not athletic
Cannot protect the rim

I would have this player in my team for sure.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Great BBIQ
Knows how to play D
Can shoot
Great FT shooter
Good passer

vs

Slow
Not athletic
Cannot protect the rim

He actually protects the rim quite well.
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Upgrade over Howard in every respect but athleticism and therefore pick and rolls to some extent

But everything else is an upgrade

Perfect

Gasol and Harrell as our centers is significantly better than anything else we could have done at that position.

At 20mpg he should really help us a lot, still one of the best passing bigs
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
AD23 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
lakurluv wrote:
I truly don't understand this signing... I'm definitely a fan, but based on previous comments from Rob, it doesn't lineup. He's not a young star to pair with AD and he's not athletic, however can definitely keep AD from playing the 5.

Thank God Rob is GM. Gasol is veteran presence, the one we lost by Rondo leaving. You need to old guys, leaders on your team. Gasol is also good shooter, for his position quite good passer too and can rebound better than McGee.

One thing I think Gasol could gave the Lakers is a big that can spread the floor. What this can do is allow Davis to play the 4 against a smaller man and give him space and just play bully ball. I actually think that was the original plan last year with Cousins.

You may even see a pick and roll and pop with Gasol popping to the three and Davis rolling to the basket and Lebron originally handling the ball. You could put the ball in Gasol hands here also because he is a great passer.

I think many of us thought Lebron and Davis would go crazy with the pick and roll last year, but problem the lane was clogged with Howard or McGee. Now you don’t have this problem.

Whatever minutes makes sense. With a small ball center like Trez we won't have to worry about that do we.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
AD23 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

Whatever minutes makes sense. With a small ball center like Trez we won't have to worry about that do we.

We agree. Long season, lots of different matchups. Good to have options.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Welcome home our beautiful boy! 13 years ago we sent you away. And you've come back a man, ready to win another chip!

Jokes aside. Happy our generational draft pick is back. Even if he's a little long in the tooth and was injured last season. We'll give him a tuneup. And he'll show up for us.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
Great BBIQ
Knows how to play D
Can shoot
Great FT shooter
Good passer

vs

Slow
Not athletic
Cannot protect the rim

He actually protects the rim quite well.

I'd add screen setting to his strengths as well. He's wide and is good at dislodging people without fouling.
Between AD, Gasol, and Harrell we can match up with any big/bigs on any roster.
Leif
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject:

It's Gasol good!
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject:

Good times.
I thought the Lakers would wallow in mediocrity before last season. Something like the Jazz who always make the playoffs and occasionally have a good series, but never over the hump.
Now we have the best player in the league, arguably a top 3 player, a good and underrated coach, and a very smart FO.
Can't remember a defending championship Laker team being this active in an off-season.
Rob is fearless with his moves, but not reckless. The Black Mamba of executives.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject:

Great signing considering Dwight bailed. Someone posted this tidbit. If not for magic being magic, we'd still have brook Lopez. Oops!
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject:

Is the second year full guaranteed?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject:

I love seeing a Gasol in purple and gold

This is a great signing. Gotta keep him fresh, keep his minutes around 15-22 per game and he's going to be great
The Nightbringer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

I seem to remember a time when Marc said he would never join the Lakers. But I think that was back when Jimbo was in charge.

At any rate, I am happy he changed his mind. LA loves the Gasols!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/spence_dfs/status/1330561584171716609?s=21
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
https://twitter.com/spence_dfs/status/1330561584171716609?s=21

He's a total LBJ type of player - High basketball IQ, unselfish, will do whatever you ask for him to win. Just a tremendous get for the team.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:
And what is wrong with this pickup? This gives us more mobility versus retaining Dwight

Treble Clef wrote:
First move they’ve made that I’m not high on. No big deal though, they’re still light years better than any other team out there.

Just see him as a downgrade to Dwight or Javale. They were both quick and athletic and got a lot of lobs and with their rebounding and tapouts, the Lakers owned the offensive glass.

Gasol is a slogger. The Lakers have literally ran circles around him for years but I realize he has still been effective against other teams. He is a good passer and he will make some threes but I don’t think the Lakers really need that from the position. Dwight and Javale were quietly automatic from 3 but it didn’t make sense to use them for that.

We will see how it goes but I thought the others just worked better with the Lakers pace.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

I'll miss Dwight, but Marc is a better fit between LeBron and AD especially AD, he lets AD play closer to the basket.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
phantasyman wrote:
And what is wrong with this pickup? This gives us more mobility versus retaining Dwight

Treble Clef wrote:
First move they’ve made that I’m not high on. No big deal though, they’re still light years better than any other team out there.

Just see him as a downgrade to Dwight or Javale. They were both quick and athletic and got a lot of lobs and with their rebounding and tapouts, the Lakers owned the offensive glass.

Gasol is a slogger. The Lakers have literally ran circles around him for years but I realize he has still been effective against other teams. He is a good passer and he will make some threes but I don’t think the Lakers really need that from the position. Dwight and Javale were quietly automatic from 3 but it didn’t make sense to use them for that.

We will see how it goes but I thought the others just worked better with the Lakers pace.

Dwight and Javale are automatic from 3?????
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
I'll miss Dwight, but Marc is a better fit between LeBron and AD especially AD, he lets AD play closer to the basket.

Couldn’t have said it better, plus unlike Dwight.. Gasol can help space the floor, something he and McGee couldn’t do... it’s a fantastic signing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 63, 64, 65  Next
Page 7 of 65
Jump to: