Thank you MARC GASOL - traded with 2024 second pick to Memphis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 63, 64, 65  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

Marc will never blow anyone away in the boxscore. I wish his critics go further and look at his defensive metrics. The defense is ranked #1 - Have no idea where that puts MG, but he isn't hurting us in that department. In fact I think he's helping. (But I haven't looked at the metrics.)

I thought we'd miss our rim protectors - but Marc doesn't rely on athleticism on D. He's mastered verticality, knows that he's often the biggest player on the court, and is smart enough to bang down low while staying big. He alters a ton of shots down there. Reading the criticism makes me think I'm watching a different game than ya'll. We are a VERY GOOD defensive team & Marc is a part of that success.

The times when he's able to stretch the floor and hit an occasional open 3 is just icing on the cake. Wish he was more consistent from behind the arc, but his defense is invaluable down there. He's a very good option to have as a 20 mpg C that is asked to play a very specific role on the team.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

The one thing I'm surprised by so far is the relatively little we've seen of Marc's playmaking in the regular season. I'm hoping that this is because Vogel's working on higher priority elements e.g. Schroeder/Trezz incorporation and this will be layered on towards the end of the season.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I do think he has more playoff value than Jav.

Kieff was a starter over Javale, and Kieff was mainly valuable for his 3 point shooting - if we face a team without elite athleticism at the 5, Marc will have value IF he can make and take more 3s and go to work in the post sometimes.

He has to step up his willingness to shoot. I do not expect off the ball plays to be great, but just be more assertive in shooting the 3, and some post up mismatches. We got to run some sets, where we utilize him in the post.

Right. But I'm saying he'll do the ceremonial 1/3rd Q "Jav" role in the playoffs. I don't see him finishing meaningful game. But that shows he has more value than Jav who rarely played at all in the playoffs.

I think losing Dwight is more painful.

100% agreed. Losing Dwight hurts. The thing that frustrates me about Gasol is that there's a good center inside that guy, but he seems to have lost either his confidence. It's almost like he, as Dwight before him, is searching for his "2nd self."

I'm not down on Marc. He is our starting center, be it for a few minutes or what, so I do want this guy to contribute.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

All I can say we better pray Drummond is not bought out by the Cavs and picked up by the Nets...If that's the case...they win it all. Marc couldn't do a thing with Drummond...AD did all right...but if we have to play the Nets and Marc had to guard Drummond for long stretches because AD would be on KD...it's completely over. I'm being patient but through 18 games Marc has been bad much more than good...for our sake this better change.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Marc will never blow anyone away in the boxscore. I wish his critics go further and look at his defensive metrics. The defense is ranked #1 - Have no idea where that puts MG, but he isn't hurting us in that department. In fact I think he's helping. (But I haven't looked at the metrics.)

I thought we'd miss our rim protectors - but Marc doesn't rely on athleticism on D. He's mastered verticality, knows that he's often the biggest player on the court, and is smart enough to bang down low while staying big. He alters a ton of shots down there. Reading the criticism makes me think I'm watching a different game than ya'll. We are a VERY GOOD defensive team & Marc is a part of that success.

The times when he's able to stretch the floor and hit an occasional open 3 is just icing on the cake. Wish he was more consistent from behind the arc, but his defense is invaluable down there. He's a very good option to have as a 20 mpg C that is asked to play a very specific role on the team.

I understand the commentary, and the frustration. The problem is whatever data exists to support Marc's effectiveness simply doesn't pass the eye test. If you ask any non-Lakers fan (and I have) or the media pundits, it's almost universally agreed to that Marc Gasol isn't a quality center. Whatever you may think he is capable of, or does, isn't showing on the court. It's that simple. In fact, quite frankly, he looks horrible out there.

That being said, I think one poster here said it best. Gasol is like that token starter. Keep him in there for 5 minutes or so (sort of like the Clips did with Zubac last season) and then bring in your guys that will play the bulk of the minutes and finish the game. We did this last season with Javele. Problem is, for us, we had Dwight coming in behind him, and Dwight was hugely effective, especially when you had AD and Lebron in the mix. This season, after Gasol's token start, you have Harrell. Now, the question is will that be
enough (it wasn't last year for the Clips). Harrell will have to play like a beast against bigger opponents, and AD will have to play extra hard to cover for him.

As much the contention that McGee is better than Gasol (which he is), the real issue is that we lost Dwight Howard. So, moving forward, we can only hope that Gasol gets his mojo back, loses a bit of weight, gets some dog in him and starts playing like he's capable of.

There's one thing that I do believe; Gasol hasn't given us his best yet. He's a better player than what he's been showing. I'm just not sure why he's not at his best right now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Kava wrote:

I understand the commentary, and the frustration. The problem is whatever data exists to support Marc's effectiveness simply doesn't pass the eye test. If you ask any non-Lakers fan (and I have) or the media pundits, it's almost universally agreed to that Marc Gasol isn't a quality center. Whatever you may think he is capable of, or does, isn't showing on the court.

Stats are better than "I just don't see it."

Stats say he was one of the best rim defensive bigs in the league. Whether people want to 'see it' or not is irrelevant.

The Lakers became the best rim protecting team in the league by adding him alongside AD. Whether people want to "see it" or not is irrelevant.

The Lakers are the best defensive team in the league this year, and the gap is widening as each game goes by between 1st and 2nd place. Whether people want to "see it" or not is irrelevant.

It's one thing if someone 'visually' impresses you, but the stats have to back it up too. Otherwise you're blinding yourself to their actual impact which in turn leads people to want to make decisions that would wind up hurting this team rather than helping it.

As it stands whether people like him or not, he's one of the reasons why we're the best rim defensive teams in the league, and he's a part of why we're the Number 1 defense. And prior to the Warriors games, the hate had quieted down, and the reason it started back up was because we lost that game, but those same people neglect that the Warriors went on that 4th quarter run in the paint while Gasol wasn't on the floor.

So if you want an argument why him being our last line of defense matters you can go there. Despite that we still left that game being the best rim protecting team in the league.

The "eye test" is great when it comes for personal gratification, but if Gasol being out there means we're the best rim protecting team in the league and the #1 defense, than he's the least of the problems this team has if any significant.

His defense for us is invaluable and everyone that cared only about 'blocks' and saying that Marc sucked as a shot blocker now get to watch him have more blocks per game than Dwight or McGee whom people have christened as our saviors for some reason, and they get the additional benefits of his passing and three point shooting when either is needed. Gasol fits precisely the role he's meant to. As another poster said

"The times when he's able to stretch the floor and hit an occasional open 3 is just icing on the cake. Wish he was more consistent from behind the arc, but his defense is invaluable down there. He's a very good option to have as a 20 mpg C that is asked to play a very specific role on the team."

That's about as true as it gets. Whether he passes the 'eye test' or not, the numbers back up how valuable he's been to us both at the rim and otherwise. It also makes life easier for LeBron to have a defensive center than can stretch the floor and also pass. And any "extra minutes" that need to be played at center by Davis or Harrell in those 'just in case' situations wouldn't be significant enough to 'wear them out for the playoffs' like people seem to go to.

Again we're the Number 1 Defensive Team in the league. Know where the Clippers are in defense? 15th... and that's with defensive studs like Kawhi, George and 'defensive big' Ibaka as their key defenders.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

He needs to be more aggressive looking for his shot. He passes up wide open shots close to the basket and is sometimes indecisive when he is open and let's the defense recover.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Hope Marc will show his value in the playoffs because so far in the regular season aside from 2-3 nice passes every other game, he’s been
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Hope Marc will show his value in the playoffs because so far in the regular season aside from 2-3 nice passes every other game, he’s been

he had his best game (only time I think he's had a good game all year?) tonight and couldn't sniff the floor in crunch time. not sure why he's on this team.

LBJ, AD, KCP, DS and Caruso looked like a good lineup this evening.
DJMBENGA
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
troy wrote:
Kava wrote:

I understand the commentary, and the frustration. The problem is whatever data exists to support Marc's effectiveness simply doesn't pass the eye test. If you ask any non-Lakers fan (and I have) or the media pundits, it's almost universally agreed to that Marc Gasol isn't a quality center. Whatever you may think he is capable of, or does, isn't showing on the court.

Stats are better than "I just don't see it."

Stats say he was one of the best rim defensive bigs in the league. Whether people want to 'see it' or not is irrelevant.

The Lakers became the best rim protecting team in the league by adding him alongside AD. Whether people want to "see it" or not is irrelevant.

The Lakers are the best defensive team in the league this year, and the gap is widening as each game goes by between 1st and 2nd place. Whether people want to "see it" or not is irrelevant.

It's one thing if someone 'visually' impresses you, but the stats have to back it up too. Otherwise you're blinding yourself to their actual impact which in turn leads people to want to make decisions that would wind up hurting this team rather than helping it.

As it stands whether people like him or not, he's one of the reasons why we're the best rim defensive teams in the league, and he's a part of why we're the Number 1 defense. And prior to the Warriors games, the hate had quieted down, and the reason it started back up was because we lost that game, but those same people neglect that the Warriors went on that 4th quarter run in the paint while Gasol wasn't on the floor.

So if you want an argument why him being our last line of defense matters you can go there. Despite that we still left that game being the best rim protecting team in the league.

The "eye test" is great when it comes for personal gratification, but if Gasol being out there means we're the best rim protecting team in the league and the #1 defense, than he's the least of the problems this team has if any significant.

His defense for us is invaluable and everyone that cared only about 'blocks' and saying that Marc sucked as a shot blocker now get to watch him have more blocks per game than Dwight or McGee whom people have christened as our saviors for some reason, and they get the additional benefits of his passing and three point shooting when either is needed. Gasol fits precisely the role he's meant to. As another poster said

"The times when he's able to stretch the floor and hit an occasional open 3 is just icing on the cake. Wish he was more consistent from behind the arc, but his defense is invaluable down there. He's a very good option to have as a 20 mpg C that is asked to play a very specific role on the team."

That's about as true as it gets. Whether he passes the 'eye test' or not, the numbers back up how valuable he's been to us both at the rim and otherwise. It also makes life easier for LeBron to have a defensive center than can stretch the floor and also pass. And any "extra minutes" that need to be played at center by Davis or Harrell in those 'just in case' situations wouldn't be significant enough to 'wear them out for the playoffs' like people seem to go to.

Again we're the Number 1 Defensive Team in the league. Know where the Clippers are in defense? 15th... and that's with defensive studs like Kawhi, George and 'defensive big' Ibaka as their key defenders.

Why don’t you think he closes out games? And is there any part of you that sees what anyone else is talking about or is it just black and white?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
He needs to be more aggressive looking for his shot. He passes up wide open shots close to the basket and is sometimes indecisive when he is open and let's the defense recover.

This is a good statement. The issue is, we are stuck with Marc, and he's stuck with us. He didn't do horribly against the 76ers, but for Gasol to be effective as a starting center, he needs to get some dog in him and go all out, every game.

As bad as he looks out there sometimes, there's a part of me that thinks this guy still has some game left in him. But to be honest, Gasol is very lazy out there. Very restrained. No hustle, no jumping, no energy on the offensive side.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject:

I saw the Lakers started to run plays via Gasol from the very beginning. They’re trying something new. Gasol is old and may not be able to play strong in the regular season. His major value is against big center. It’s ok to play him more in these kind of games only and save him for the playoffs.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject:

Vogel's still 'figuring it out'. As is to be expected.

But there's a couple of games where even the most critical Lakers fan would agree that Gasol should be in at the end of some of these games, especially when we get hurt inside while he isn't, and AD is having a 'not fully engaged' defensive game.

It cost us against the Warriors as well as the Blazers that Vogel didn't have our last line of defense in late in critically close games. Portland was one, Golden State was one, and Philly you could argue was one, but not making our free throws hurt us more in that game imo.

It was good to see Vogel running some plays early that was taking advantage of Gasol's passing and LeBron's cutting to the basket, I'd like to see more of that.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

Aside from all of the analytic talk, it comes down to wins and losses at the end of the day. Are we winning games? (Yes) but it's the regular season. Does everyone truly feel we can Win (not compete) for another NBA Title this year with Gasol manning the 5 spot.

I'm not so sure we get the same resounding (Yes).
On the rotation, when MG goes out, we're very small leaving AD to man the 5. Against 2nd Tier Centers that won't be a problem, but in the Conference Championship and Finals, it could hurt us.

MG's main issue IMO is the inability to guard a player who can score at all 3-levels. Paint clogging/Rim Protection aren't that big of an issue, because the Lakers Help Defense has proven to be the best in game thus far.

I want to keep MG on the team, but IMO he's a guy off the bench at this stage in his career where he can be extremely effective. His best days are behind him. JaVale and Dwight were slightly better because of their athleticism and if MG had that this wouldn't be a concern.

I'm hoping the Lakers get lucky and get an Athletic Big either via trade or from the waiver wire.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Vogel's still 'figuring it out'. As is to be expected.

But there's a couple of games where even the most critical Lakers fan would agree that Gasol should be in at the end of some of these games, especially when we get hurt inside while he isn't, and AD is having a 'not fully engaged' defensive game.

It cost us against the Warriors as well as the Blazers that Vogel didn't have our last line of defense in late in critically close games. Portland was one, Golden State was one, and Philly you could argue was one, but not making our free throws hurt us more in that game imo.

It was good to see Vogel running some plays early that was taking advantage of Gasol's passing and LeBron's cutting to the basket, I'd like to see more of that.

Now, we finally agree.

I want Gasol MORE involved in the offense. We used to burn about 3-5 plays on McGee and a bit more on Dwight a game, depending if they were hitting. I think Gasol has a competent hook shot that we should set up, and I wouldn't be angry if he takes about 3-5 3 point shots per game.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
Aside from all of the analytic talk, it comes down to wins and losses at the end of the day. Are we winning games? (Yes) but it's the regular season. Does everyone truly feel we can Win (not compete) for another NBA Title this year with Gasol manning the 5 spot.

On the rotation, when MG goes out, we're very small leaving AD to man the 5. Against 2nd Tier Centers that won't be a problem, but in the Conference Championship and Finals, it could hurt us.

MG's main issue IMO is the inability to guard a player who can score at all 3-levels. Paint clogging/Rim Protection aren't that big of an issue, because the Lakers Help Defense has proven to be the best in game thus far.

I want to keep MG on the team, but IMO he's a guy off the bench at this stage in his career where he can be extremely effective. His best days are behind him. JaVale and Dwight were slightly better because of their athleticism and if MG had that this wouldn't be a concern.

I'm hoping the Lakers get lucky and get an Athletic Big either via trade or from the waiver wire.

Why not start Montrez? He played well against Embid. Let Gasol work against backup centers. Play him with Kieff and let Kieff handle the 5 while Gasol works as a stretch 4/5
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

Why not start Montrez? He played well against Embid. Let Gasol work against backup centers. Play him with Kieff and let Kieff handle the 5 while Gasol works as a stretch 4/5

??? What game were you watching? Trezz had 0 points and 4 fouls in 14 minutes. If he started against the traditional centers, he would foul out every game. Not a starting center at all.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

??? What game were you watching? Trezz had 0 points and 4 fouls in 14 minutes. If he started against the traditional centers, he would foul out every game. Not a starting center at all.

I guess my point is that we should start Montrez to get him and keep him mentally engaged. Maybe not so much against teams with talented big men. I guess Gasol held his own, to an extent, last night.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Can we trade gasol for mcgee back?
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject:

@DJMBENGA

Are you still available??
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject:

I wonder if the Lakers should consider bringing Gasol off the bench where they could utilize some of his IQ and passing vs the starters where they need guys that will make shots around AD-Bron so they do not get doubled. Gasol not making shots allows teams to just feel even more confident to help.

Trez has flaws but he would bring an identity of a guy that will make shots if left open. He will cut, and he will command the ball inside. Teams will have to deal with a load of Trez-AD.

Honestly, 2 changes are needed IMO. Trez maybe in for Marc. Wesley or Caruso in for Dennis. Dennis needs to be a 6MOTY elite bench player for us, so that he can come into games and kill other benches. Our bench is almost identical to last year. Relying heavily on Bron .....

Just think of it this way, if Trez is up high, AD is posting up on the block, if the double comes, Trez is going to the basket on the move. If a shot is up, he is going to crash the glass. Vice Versa, AD is a 3 point shooter from there, and able to make plays from the elbow top of the arc area. We are not getting this with Marc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

I guess my point is that we should start Montrez to get him and keep him mentally engaged. Maybe not so much against teams with talented big men. I guess Gasol held his own, to an extent, last night.

Trez is simply to small to guard bigger 5's that could play on the inside. In all honesty, we don't have the option of last year with Dwight and McGee, it kept AD out of the 5 spot longer. The signing of MG was a great idea, maybe 5 years ago. Our primary target should have been Ibaka, but we let the Clippers steal another one from us. He would have been the type of 5 we need. I truly only see Trez coming off the bench as a 4, that is the best success we will have with him. I don't think the Lakers make a Significant change to the roster (Trade-4-Beal) however, I do believe we pickup a backup Center from the waiver or FA. Keep in mind even though we have two of the top 5 players on our team, it still doesn't mean a player would want to come her. LA is a BIG market and very intimidating for some players, too much to handle... Let's hope we can make a move to solidify another Championship and then the Off-Season will be promising for us moving forward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

Marc would be phenomenal as a backup center. Ibaka would have been ideal for this team as a 5 for sure. I still think we need someone to bolster our center position, a true guy with some size.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Marc would be phenomenal as a backup center. Ibaka would have been ideal for this team as a 5 for sure. I still think we need someone to bolster our center position, a true guy with some size.
I think Marc’s phenomenal days are over.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Marc’s phenomenal days are over.

As a backup 5 he would be great where we wouldn't have to depend him on a daily basis. But right now, we do rely on him as he is our only true 7 footer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 63, 64, 65  Next
Page 29 of 65
Jump to: