Official MONTREZL "6th Man of Year" HARRELL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

Someone offer me a trade Straight up

26 yr old Montrezl vs 31 yr old Ibaka

I would pick Montrezl

Now let put Montrezl in a pick and roll situation. With either LBJ or Schroeder in replace of Lou. How potent will that play be.

oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

We got Trez though because it seems he was not having klaw's load management nor pretty much anything from pandemic P... And he wanted to stick it to the clippers. And boy did he.

Dude needs to spend a lot of time with Mike Penberthy on his range. It'll come.

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Would have preferred if the Clips kept Trez and we got Ibaka. He's a decent consolation prize, though.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Would have preferred if the Clips kept Trez and we got Ibaka. He's a decent consolation prize, though.

Well see when trez balling because surrounded by a competent coaching staff and real leaders vs his time on the clippers
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Well see when trez balling because surrounded by a competent coaching staff and real leaders vs his time on the clippers

Plus, plus, plus, we'll be seeing the sixth man of the year version of Trez, not the heavy-hearted, grieving, resentful because of KL's lack of proper leadership (I heard the guy made the it to the team plane late on multiple occasions), Trez.

He & Schroder will bring a much needed infusion of youth, speed, defense, and athleticism. We also are getting both at the perfect arc of their careers. They're getting better and better every season. Now, they're playing w/LeBron James & Anthony Davis!

We won't be facing the same league this time around. Pelinka knew it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Plus, plus, plus, we'll be seeing the sixth man of the year version of Trez, not the heavy-hearted, grieving, resentful because of KL's lack of proper leadership (I heard the guy made the it to the team plane late on multiple occasions), Trez.

He & Schroder will bring a much needed infusion of youth, speed, defense, and athleticism. We also are getting both at the perfect arc of their careers. They're getting better and better every season. Now, they're playing w/LeBron James & Anthony Davis!

As great as Dwight was, we also have to give credit to LeBron and Vogel for getting the best version of him and making the game easy for him. Imagine how much LBJ is going to be able to do with a hard roller like Harrell.
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

Montrezl is the one player I thought defended Davis the best and that is the reason I had concerns about beating the Clips in the playoffs. Now he is on our team, who does the clips have to defend Anthony?
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

aiel wrote:
Montrezl is the one player I thought defended Davis the best and that is the reason I had concerns about beating the Clips in the playoffs. Now he is on our team, who does the clips have to defend Anthony?

I don’t know how does Ibaka do against Davis ?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject:

I still think instead of lamenting Trez over Ibaka, it's better just to look at it as a Klutch appeasement move, which may irk some, but in my view it's perfectly fine because the reality is that while supporting players are nice, LeBron and AD are 99.9% of the reason this team won the championship and has a good chance to do it again, so whatever it takes to make those guys and their agent happy is ok by me.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
aiel wrote:

I don’t know how does Ibaka do against Davis ?

Ibaka is a shell of his former self.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

As great as Dwight was, we also have to give credit to LeBron and Vogel for getting the best version of him and making the game easy for him. Imagine how much LBJ is going to be able to do with a hard roller like Harrell.

Agree. Practically every bit of footage of Howard with us this year has LeBron or Rondo setting him up time & time again. It was the best way to feed him and at the same time keep him from trying to play a back to the basket offensive type of game, which is not his game.

The version of Trez we're getting will be a unique pairing with the brilliant bball iq minded folks like LeBron's & Vogel's.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
I still think instead of lamenting Trez over Ibaka, it's better just to look at it as a Klutch appeasement move, which may irk some, but in my view it's perfectly fine because the reality is that while supporting players are nice, LeBron and AD are 99.9% of the reason this team won the championship and has a good chance to do it again, so whatsever it takes to make those guys and their agent happy is ok by me.

I think in terms of standard basketball thoughts, you want to space the floor and keep the lane open for Lebron and AD..so Ibaka would be a better fit in that sense.

However, I am not sure the Lakers are looking at this standard way of playing basketball..if you look at the playoffs last year, the Lakers played a high pace basketball at teams..some extremes of this you saw in game 3 against Denver (that nearly led to a 20+ point comeback) and game 6 against the Heat. This countered some of the stratgies that the Heat used on other teams like Boston because it disrupts other teams rhythm. It avoid the defensive advantages some teams have because it beats their defense turn the court.

this style of basketball can turn games fast, but I am thinking the Lakers will reserve most of it till the playoffs (since it requires a lot of energy).

But it requires on the defensive end, high basketball IQ and length. And perhaps good defensive versatility. Players with length and longer arms can disrupt passing lanes and block shots and disrupt the opposing teams offensive rhythm. This leads to opportunities for fast breaks.

Now Schroeder, Matthews, Caruso, Lebron, Davis, and Trez fit this quite well on the defensive end. On the offensive end, you need some good 3 point spot up shooters and bigs that can put pressure in the lane plus fast point guard with high offensive IQ.

Put this together, KCP and Matthews fill the spot up shooter role (Green on the other hand, not as much because loss some speed so its good they traded him way), Schroeder and Lebron fill the point guard role. Davis definitely fills the big role of pressure in the lane..but now you have Trez too (who perhaps because of quickness, is better in this sense than Ibaka).

This style of basketball may actually disrupt the 3 point game also. When guys like Trez or Davis challenge the 3 and the shot is missed, they are already pass the half court line..so you just get the rebound and throw it over the opposite team and Trez or Davis get an easy shot at the other end.

So what this does..it negotiates the rim protection of the other team (because the big often can't get back fast enough, which is magnified because Lebron gets at the rim with little rim protection) and helps counter the 3 point shooting..because when they miss 3 point shots, it gives opportunities for DAvis or Trez to run down the floor to get easy shots on the other end.

And Trez seems to fit this style of basketball better than Ibaka.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1330730365225353216?s=19
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Harrell, last year’s 6th Man of the Year, averaged 18.6 points (58.0% FG's), 7.1 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.1 blocks in 27.8 minutes. The only player to average more points off the pine was his new teammate, Dennis Schröder.

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/1330731528536539137?s=19
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Trez better than Ibaka at present.

Ibaka getting a bit overrated here and Trez will show him whats up over and over on hustle plays and effort next season, trust me on that.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Montrezl Harrell will address the media for the first time as a Laker tomorrow afternoon.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject:

According to the locked on lakers guys, the rumor is that Trez was promised the starting gig
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Montrezl Harrell will address the media for the first time as a Laker tomorrow afternoon.

How do you feel about your new teammates?
I’m gonna destroy pandemic P

Do you like your chances to win better this season?
I’m gonna destroy load management

You could’ve made much more money, why the Lakers?
I’m gonna destroy pandemic P
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
According to the locked on lakers guys, the rumor is that Trez was promised the starting gig

SO AD will start out as center? All these promises are coming from Klutch I guess.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
drae wrote:

SO AD will start out as center? All these promises are coming from Klutch I guess.

Or just label montrezl as starting center, done, no fuzz, our LeBron-AD-Montrezl front court is interchangeable on court anyway, let AD play the PF Duncan role
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:

West starting 5s.

Playoff teams that likely remain playoff teams:

Jokic Nuggets
Ibaka Clippers
Gobert Jazz
Porzingis Mavs
Nurkic Blazers

Probably making the playoffs or will fight for the last few spots:

Ayton Suns
Wiseman Warriors
Valanciunas Grizzlies
Adams Pelicans

Like NO. Really, the Lakers would be playing undersized against every one of those teams.

This would be a foolish move to have AD defend and bang all those guys all RS. Keep AD fresh, use Marc Gasol for this specific role. It should be Marc's role to defend the Nurkic, Valanciunas, Ayton, Gobert, Porzingis' of the NBA during the RS.

One of the dumbest things we could do is let a role player (allbeit a high quality one) dictate who starts. The Lakers culture is so great right now. I hope this report is baloney.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
drae wrote:

When AD and Trez are on the floor together, Trez will be the 5 on offense and AD the 4. Defense will depend on matchups, Trez can guard smaller 5's and bigger 4's just fine.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject:

Agreed, wolfpac.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject:

Nobody seems to be talking about this, but Trez and Gasol playing together is a PERFECT fit. AD will get his rest this season.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>
One of the dumbest things we could do is let a role player (allbeit a high quality one) dictate who starts. The Lakers culture is so great right now. I hope this report is baloney.

While I completely agree on your take for the playoffs:
I see us load-managing significantly earlier in the season to save LBJ/Gasol/AD - for age and injury risk both
I see us sacrificing regular season games (especially early on) so Vogel can experiment with lineups/combinations plus acclimate the new players, and to establish a bench identity.
I see us gradually transitioning to our playoff lineup later in the season.
I see us playing Trez a *lot* - he's young, he's a regular season warrior, he needs/demands minutes to justify his discounted contract, and he matches up just fine against 15-20 of the teams in the league.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Agreed, wolfpac.

I think what made last year's team so great was that the role players they brought in that were new, were all niche role players who continued that niche from previous teams. Danny Green for example did exactly the role he was assigned in Toronto.

We brought in a major player in Harrell, but to give him a role way outside his niche and his abilities is stupid. The Lakers are not a development program, they area NBA Champion with 2 best players at their respective positions.

Harrell's niche is of an elite bench player. This is how we utilize him. Surely, if he develops an outside 3 pointer (not impossible for a player his age), and slowly learns how to compliment AD, by playoff time, which is 6 months away, we can consider starting Harrell situationally.

But the first objective is to get guys in that make AD's job, and LBJ's job easier. How does Harrell immediately do this? By dominating the bench play, so that AD and LBJ can rest. I really love the Trez move from this standpoint. We should not try to get too cute or smart here. We have a method that works. We brought in Marc. AD has made it clear in the RS he wants to play mostly the 4.

If Trez wants to start eventially, work with the coaches on his spot up 3 point shooting right away. In the playoffs, AD is mostly a 5 anyway. Then we can start talking about Trez as a starter. In that sense, if Trez puts in the work, then I'm totally for rewarding a player like that.

Promises in advances like that are BS. This is a championship level team, not a development project.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 10 of 66
Jump to: