Article, LA TIMES: Turiaf Impresses His Teammates
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Article, LA TIMES: Turiaf Impresses His Teammates

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
February 27 2006

It was what Ronny Turiaf had waited for, two blocked shots, three points and five rebounds in 14 minutes he will never forget.

The Laker rookie made his first impact in a game since joining the team in January, six months after undergoing open-heart surgery to repair an enlarged aortic root.

ADVERTISEMENT
He played with energy and enthusiasm on a night when the Lakers had little of either in a 112-111 loss Sunday to the Boston Celtics.

He blocked Paul Pierce's shot and converted a three-point play in the final minutes of the third quarter. He also blocked Wally Szczerbiak's attempt with 34.9 seconds to play, preventing the Lakers from falling further behind.

"Like I said when I first got here, I came here to play defense and to hustle," he said. "I just came back from heart surgery. It was a long way, it was a long road. I'm asking for nothing. I'm just trying to step into the lineup, the rotation, try to do something positive."

Turiaf took playing time from Kwame Brown, who sat out the second half and had only two points and four rebounds in 10 minutes.

Laker Coach Phil Jackson approved of Turiaf's progress.

"He just really hasn't shown any signs of not knowing what we're doing," Jackson said. "Kobe [Bryant] was kidding him the other day that he knows more about the game than a lot of guys that have been with us for six months. He's not behind the eight ball at all. He's an intelligent player that is right on speed and seems to know what we're doing."
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Article, LA TIMES: Turiaf Impresses His Teammates

kobekillinu2nite wrote:
February 27 2006

It was what Ronny Turiaf had waited for, two blocked shots, three points and five rebounds in 14 minutes he will never forget.

The Laker rookie made his first impact in a game since joining the team in January, six months after undergoing open-heart surgery to repair an enlarged aortic root.

ADVERTISEMENT
He played with energy and enthusiasm on a night when the Lakers had little of either in a 112-111 loss Sunday to the Boston Celtics.

He blocked Paul Pierce's shot and converted a three-point play in the final minutes of the third quarter. He also blocked Wally Szczerbiak's attempt with 34.9 seconds to play, preventing the Lakers from falling further behind.

"Like I said when I first got here, I came here to play defense and to hustle," he said. "I just came back from heart surgery. It was a long way, it was a long road. I'm asking for nothing. I'm just trying to step into the lineup, the rotation, try to do something positive."

Turiaf took playing time from Kwame Brown, who sat out the second half and had only two points and four rebounds in 10 minutes.

"He just really hasn't shown any signs of not knowing what we're doing," Jackson said. "Kobe [Bryant] was kidding him the other day that he knows more about the game than a lot of guys that have been with us for six months. He's not behind the eight ball at all. He's an intelligent player that is right on speed and seems to know what we're doing."

Kobe wasn't kidding.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

A natural. A lot of people are killing Mitch, but Bynum and Turiaf were good draft picks and Sasha is a young developing combo guard who is finding his way.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Article, LA TIMES: Turiaf Impresses His Teammates

kobekillinu2nite wrote:
February 27 2006

ADVERTISEMENT

Now that's by far the most impressive thing of all. Turiaf,Bynum, & Kobe, that's truly a nice core....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

At least there was one positive from last night. Maybe its time for Phil to cut into Kwames minutes with Turiaf at this point. Im glad to see Ronnie back and having an impact its a very nice story.
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

He cut into Mihm's minutes too!! Mihm played a lousy 14 minutes, crap for him............ Turiaf played that many minutes and I wish he'd play more.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

give him lamar's minutes.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Hm. This was my argument for making a critical trade, which makes Bynum and Turiaf the basis for the future.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

estupendo !!!! je suis si heureux. i'm happy.

Bravo Ronny !!!!
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Great effort on D and rebounding from Turiaf. What a breath of fresh air compared to the slackers we got (Odom, Smush, Kwame).

Anyone else concerned about his offense? Doesn't look fluid out there. Any chance he might be Kwamesque on offense?
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Hm. This was my argument for making a critical trade, which makes Bynum and Turiaf the basis for the future.

Yup.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

NM. DELETED

Last edited by orwell on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:20 pm; edited 5 times in total
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
A natural. A lot of people are killing Mitch, but Bynum and Turiaf were good draft picks and Sasha is a young developing combo guard who is finding his way.

Turiaf was a great pick but high risk on account other GM's already knew that Turiaf had heart problems. People say that Mitch wanted May instead of Bynum who was Jim Buss's pick. So depending on who you believe, giving Mitch credit for Bynum may be unwarranted and Mitch even getting to pick Turiaf was just a result of the other GM's being leery of his heart problems which may have not turned out as fortunate as it did.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:

Think about this comment. It took Mitch 5 years to get a grasp of how to draft. It upsets me, when I think the mods, including myself, do not even have the resources that Kupchak, Bertka, and the scouting crew do, yet each draft year, we tend to hit on players with good impact.

The last draft year was the one that matched our opinion with the GM the most, and frankly, I'm not surprised that there is a good crop of rookies this season.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
psydesho wrote:

Turiaf was a great pick but high risk on account other GM's already knew that Turiaf had heart problems. People say that Mitch wanted May instead of Bynum who was Jim Buss's pick. So depending on who you believe, giving Mitch credit for Bynum may be unwarranted and Mitch even getting to pick Turiaf was just a result of the other GM's being leery of his heart problems which may have not turned out as fortunate as it did.

All the Barkleying on Mitch is just hilarious. If he picks someone and tey play well then it really wasn't him picking them. If he picks someone and they play poorly then Mitch is just terrible. The guy just can't win with some of the Glorias on here....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Article, LA TIMES: Turiaf Impresses His Teammates

kobekillinu2nite wrote:
He just really hasn't shown any signs of not knowing what we're doing," Jackson said. "Kobe [Bryant] was kidding him the other day that he knows more about the game than a lot of guys that have been with us for six months. He's not behind the eight ball at all. He's not behind the eight ball at all. He's an intelligent player that is right on speed and seems to know what we're doing."

Never thought I'd see the day when Phil was saying this about a rookie.

Last edited by drew4lakers on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
psydesho wrote:

Think about this comment. It took Mitch 5 years to get a grasp of how to draft. It upsets me, when I think the mods, including myself, do not even have the resources that Kupchak, Bertka, and the scouting crew do, yet each draft year, we tend to hit on players with good impact.

The last draft year was the one that matched our opinion with the GM the most, and frankly, I'm not surprised that there is a good crop of rookies this season.

Remember our discussion on Turiaf before the draft Mike?

I'm glad he fell as far as he did. I think he was a terrific pickup where he wound up going.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
Quote:

"He just really hasn't shown any signs of not knowing what we're doing," Jackson said.

WTF? I hope he was referring to Kwame Brown or else he needs to get his eyes checked.

You too!

Jackson just used some sort of twisted grammar/english

>>"...hasn't shown any signs of not knowing what we're doing"

hasn't not -- I think it is old people speak
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:

The first few minutes out there I saw a guy with lots of hustle and a rookie's game. Then he started looking like a guy who could help us now.

Turiaf should get more playing time, with Kwame Brown headed to the bench. We all know Turiaf will make plenty of rookie mistakes, but at least he'll learn from them and get better. And even on the bad days, his hustle will at least do something for us.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

since we made no moves to bring in help, we have no choice left this season but for it to come from within.

I think its worth it to play the guys who play with intelligence and intensity. Even if it hurts us this season, the Lakers will at least establish the character of this team as competitors, night in and night out.

Keep these thoughts in mind when it comes to who we pick up in the future -- when talent and ability are tempting you to discount character.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:

http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/27022006/1/photo/l-interieur-francais-des-los-angeles-lakers-ronny-turiaf-le.html

he is the future !
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Tanlentueux wrote:
http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/27022006/1/photo/l-interieur-francais-des-los-angeles-lakers-ronny-turiaf-le.html

he is the future !

OK???? Thats ummm, in French!!!
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I bet Ronny studied the triangle when he was doing his rehab. I'm impressed too!
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:

Turiaf was a good find. However, at the end of the game, we still lost to a bad Celtics team.

Mitch is responsible for creating this mess and he must be held accountable.

Remember Mitch was the one that approved the trade for Brown by giving up on Butler.

Bynum hasn't done anything of significance. Time will tell if he was a good pick up.
BestDamnLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I hope Kwame read this article.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: