My Thoughts On The Game Last Night (I was front and center)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: My Thoughts On The Game Last Night (I was front and center)

im no DB...but here are some thoughts from staples last night..

last night i was at staples watching the lakers lose a heartbreaker to the celtics. surprisingly and nauseously, there were a lot of boston fans in attendance.

main problems last night were perimeter D and free throw shooting. i can't beleive at this stage of the game, our boys just can't seem to make their free throws. and its not just the usual suspects. kobe missed a clutch free throw too. lamar missed two consecutive clutch free throws and smush missed a couple as well. the perimeter D was atrocious. we made delonte west look like chauncey billups. wally bagged a couple of wide open threes as well.

kwame brown is as close as you can get to useless. i was only a couple rows back from center court so i had a good view of the game...and the first thing i noticed about kwame is how HUGE he is. looks like a monster. he plays like a teenage girl. phil got rid of him real quick, but not before the staples center crowd let him have it for not touching the rim on a layup...even though he had nobody between him and the basket and could have dunked it just as easily. kwame's refusal to dunk is perplexing...i thought nba players liked to dunk? i look forward to the day kwame ceases to be a laker.

kobe played a good offensive game...but not a very good defensive game. nobody on our roster could contain paul pierce (kobe, george and odom each had a shot). another thing that bothered me about kobe last night was how much time he spends complaining and jawing at the refs. granted, we got about as many calls as the seahawks got during the superbowl...but he was jawing at the refs the WHOLE game. the female ref especially.

ronny turiaf is so fun to watch. the guy is like madsen with talent. it was fun giving him a standing O when he came in the game. the dude hustles, rebounds, and plays D. looks like he can score the ball too...at least better than kwame. he had two HUGE clutch blocks in the game that fired up the crowd. the lakers made their big run while turiaf was in the game.

phil confuses me sometimes. he says before the allstar break that andrew bynum is going to see more playing time in the second half....and he has played far fewer minutes in the second half than he did in the first. why isn't he giving any time to bynum? i hope he doesn't overlook this game by turiaf and continues to give him more minutes. and shame on the staples center store for not having any ronny turiaf jerseys.

lamar played a safe game until the fourth when he really played well. he was the go-to guy since kobe didn't shoot that much. he's a great finisher in the post. he seems much more comfortable there than he does on the perimeter.

the final stretch was terrible...cook making an awkward long pass that led to a shot clock violation. then an awkward lob to kobe for the game winner that kobe had to jump to catch and then twist around to jack up a shot.

i was sitting fairly close to jerome bettis, and it was cool that the lakers showed him on the big screen and played 'we are the champions'. i think he was sitting with reggie bush. weird.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

I was there too.

The one thing that I noticed that phil was pisssssed off at Smush and Lamar during the third quarter.

During the first time out, Smush went back to the bench and he was pissed off because phil was yelling at him

During the second time out, he went at lamar and lamar was pissed off.

Than Phil got pissed off and took everyone out except for Kobe.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Yeah i guess kobe should shutup and not get T'd up and play some defense like he used to
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the nice post Ocho.

I too look forward to the day Kwame is forced to give up his Lakers jersey. I look forward to the day he goes a whole game without fumbling a pass out of bounds. Mitch should start fining him for every shot attempt he takes that is not a dunk.
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject:

He's allowed to talk to the refs especially since there was more than a few bad ones last nigt, he is the captain afterall. Just as long he isn't disrespectful.

Thanks for the observations. Ronny was a bright spot, I could feel his energy all the way on the east coast.

Lamar and Smush stunk it up, until the 4th. They need to do that throughout the game. Their penetration would have gave us a win. I'm glad Phil let them know that they were stinkin it up.

As for Kwame, I have no words except that he is weak. A Big that can't make a point blank layup is not what the Lakers need. Dunk the ball Kwame. Hopefully Ronny's play woke him up, I'm being optimistic.

The most annoying thing about the other day was that they played well for the last quarter and a half. What took so long? Things have to change. And all of the free throws for the Celtics and the misses for the Lakers were ridiculous.
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My Thoughts On The Game Last Night (I was front and center)

da ocho wrote:
im no DB...but here are some thoughts from staples last night..

last night i was at staples ...
kwame brown is as close as you can get to useless. i was only a couple rows back from center court so i had a good view of the game...and the first thing i noticed about kwame is how HUGE he is. looks like a monster. he plays like a teenage girl.

...Smush PO
... Odom PO

Interesting, I wonder if this team just isn't getting it... and Pj cant get into the HEADS of these players... as they dont have the Hoops IQ?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I was there too. During the halftime break I predicted the lakers would have their usual third quarter letdown. They did exact that by starting the 3rd with a TO

I've been to almost every weekend staple center games this season. Lately I noticed a trend that the lakers alway came back late for their half time warmups. Last night, 5 mins after the celtics started their half time warmups, a few lakers walked out the tunnel and they had only less than 2 mins to do their shooting around. The rest of lakers came out with a little more than 1 mins left. They did basically the same in the clippers game two nights before last night. We all know what happened in the third quarter of that game.
indestrukt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Funny that you mention Phil getting on Lamar and Smush. I saw him getting on Kwame after one horrible lapse on defense. Kwame sat down and muttered something back that irked Phil enough to the point that he got right in his face and bellowed "What did you say?!" right before FSN faded to commercial. Midget brain to go with his midget hands I guess.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lamar and Smush stunk it up, until the 4th. They need to do that throughout the game. Their penetration would have gave us a win. I'm glad Phil let them know that they were stinkin it up.

Thats what some guys here have been saying all season. It's no surprise anymore. The only reason why we keep talking about it is because they occasionally make great plays or shots, and we want that to stick.

Plain and simple, Lamar is a great 3rd option that is being forced to play sidekick. Or 2nd option. It's unfair to him, and to all the fans. I know it's hard to be patient during all of this, but imagine when we have a few bucks to pickup a quality player, mixed with Kobe, Lamar, and Bynum in a couple years.

Do you see that at the end of the tunnel?

Looks like light!
ishi331
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

kobesNBA wrote:
Quote:

Thats what some guys here have been saying all season. It's no surprise anymore. The only reason why we keep talking about it is because they occasionally make great plays or shots, and we want that to stick.

Plain and simple, Lamar is a great 3rd option that is being forced to play sidekick. Or 2nd option. It's unfair to him, and to all the fans. I know it's hard to be patient during all of this, but imagine when we have a few bucks to pickup a quality player, mixed with Kobe, Lamar, and Bynum in a couple years.

Do you see that at the end of the tunnel?

Looks like light!

IT IS A LIGHT!....The light of the friggin train which will put us out of our misery!
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:

indestrukt wrote:
Funny that you mention Phil getting on Lamar and Smush. I saw him getting on Kwame after one horrible lapse on defense. Kwame sat down and muttered something back that irked Phil enough to the point that he got right in his face and bellowed "What did you say?!" right before FSN faded to commercial. Midget brain to go with his midget hands I guess.

You're right. I forgot about that. But the Lamar and Smush was more memorable because it happened in the third quarter.

If you remember at the start of the third, Smush had a turnover and was getting burned by West. Defense was TERRIBLE at the third.

Then Odom got it. Phil would yell in his face and walk away. Finally, when Odom got benched, he seemed like he was going to walk off.

In the end, something worked because they came out and did well at the start of the fourth.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Nice posts Ocho and 4Life

It is always great to get a feel for the verbal stuff that you hear when you are near the court and never pickup on TV

Sounds like according to Ocho the fans were getting on Kwame a bit. Not sure he is the right mental makeup for that, but at this point maybe it is time for some tough love. You usually don't hear Laker fans getting on their own players at home.

It sounds like maybe some of "The Boobirds were out" at Staples!
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Yeah i guess kobe should shutup and not get T'd up and play some defense like he used to

right...cause showing emotion is terrible...lets turn him into lamar odom
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

at one point, Kobe said somehting to Violet in the 2nd or 3rd quarter...kobe walked away and violet let out a "DAMMMMN, Kobe!" and shook her head. From that point on she had it in for him.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:

I have the game recorded and I have tried to watch it but I get too frustrated. Besides the fact that we played horribly I can't get over the reffing. Pierce was getting superstar treatment and we were getting screwed. I just watched that flagrant by Pierce on Kobe and can't believe nothing was made of it. Pierce knew he should have been screwed too, you could tell by the wayhe was waiting. Of course Kobe can't complain because he'll get a T and the rest of our players do nothing but complain, so it will go unnoticed in the league offices. I can see why it would be hard to play if you know that they are allowed to score without being disturbed every time down.

Is Violet Palmer the worst ref you've ever seen or is she just the most obvious of the bad refs?
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
at one point, Kobe said somehting to Violet in the 2nd or 3rd quarter...kobe walked away and violet let out a "DAMMMMN, Kobe!" and shook her head. From that point on she had it in for him.

what r u talkin about? who is violet? and what do you mean...had it in for him????

lol
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Kwame Brown was an abused child.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Pressure makes this team fall apart... We start making "knee-jerk" reactions, instead of showing NBA-Calibre composure, focus, and good fundamental basketball.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:

You know how Cassell and Mobley came in to Clipperdom and talked about swagger. It worked, at least for awhile, and I think it will work for them again. That team plays with swagger. Our team plays like we're waiting to be sent to the NBDL. It's a mind set.

We are the JV team

Okay, send me directly to the P*** and Moan thread.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

thumpinghead wrote:
msb212 wrote:

what r u talkin about? who is violet? and what do you mean...had it in for him????

lol

umm, Violet is the name of the female referee who made the game-losing call against Kobe.
ballermarvin05
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject:

yea i was at the game there too last nite....a celtic fan was getting on my nerves ....Lakers could have had that game but that dumb ref gave the celtics the game with the free throws at the end which i dont think was a foul....but i was wondering at the end after pierce missed the second free throw if there was suppose to be a couple seconds put back on the clock after the lakers called a timeout? If there was three seconds left Kobe would have had a better chance to get a better shot off. Man those stupid referres piss me off with all the nonsense fouls they call against the lakers. But man the Lakers missed some big free throws late in the fourth which i had a feeling it would cost the lakers the ball game
gone-daddy-gone
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

"i look forward to the day kwame ceases to be a laker. "

the understatement of the year, and definately sig material. i about fell outta my chair when i read that.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

kwame talking smack to phil???
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:
msb212 wrote:

lol

umm, Violet is the name of the female referee who made the game-losing call against Kobe.

There's no proof she is actually female or a referee.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject:

lakertim wrote:
msb212 wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:
msb212 wrote:

lol

There's no proof she is actually female or a referee.

we weren't getting calls but thats not an excuse. that happens sometimes in games. the problem was they didn't play defense for four quarters of basketball. and then they couldn't make their free throws.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: