3-point plan to begin the rebuilding of Lakers on 1540 The Ticket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

3-point plan

I thought u were gonna say shoot more 3's!
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I don't think firing Mitch will result in any better situation if the grumblings we're hearing about the front office are true. More and more it's sounding like Jim Buss is having too much power. Honestly, how can any GM succeed without autonomy to bring his vision to fruition? Secondly, WHO would voluntarily come to GM an organization where the owner's son can veto any decision you make? No one can succeed that way and reputable guys with solid reps won't come here to deal with that nonsense.

I guarantee you that Jerry West would never have had the success he did while he was here, if he would have had Buss' snot nosed kid, who thinks he knows more than he does, constantly undoing or poo-pooing any decisions or deals Jerry might have been cultivating.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is not that horrible - Bynum is a good pick. So was turiaf. Sasha is proving to be an ok player as well. Cook too.

The players we went after were all in the western conference on teams that can't afford to see us improve if they are going to to make the playoffs (DA, Boozer, etc.)
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
Mitch is not that horrible - Bynum is a good pick. So was turiaf. Sasha is proving to be an ok player as well. Cook too.

Cook shoots and does nothing else. Sasha isn't that good. And Turiaf hasn't done jack in his NBA career. Bynum neither. They're all potential until they do something. And none of them have done something. Otherwise the Lakers wouldn't be mediocre garbage.

Quote:

The players we went after were all in the western conference on teams that can't afford to see us improve if they are going to to make the playoffs (DA, Boozer, etc.)

More excuses. The Lakers haven't improved since July 2004 when the rebuilding started. Tell your insider friends that is not acceptable.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike [ at ] LG for scout!
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
I hope Dave Smith is not claiming the Sam Presti idea to be his. Sky was posting about Presti on another forum about a week or so ago.

Dave began talking up Presti prior to the start of the season.

Dave was actually mentioning Presti last year during our last tail spin. Keep up the good work Dave, and it looks like you can start playing that Fat Albert song agains. He's Back.
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

You guys are blowing are problems way out of proportion, give the team time. (more than 2 seasons).

Go Lakers

I'm right there with Mike and his scouting ventures, but I got some talent finding skills myself. lol
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
I hope Dave Smith is not claiming the Sam Presti idea to be his. Sky was posting about Presti on another forum about a week or so ago.

There have been people on this board, including myself, posting about Presti long before the start of the season or last week.

Problem is, Mitch seems to have a lifetime position with the organization and I am on record as saying they will not win a title again ever with him in charge, he is that bad.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-point plan to begin the rebuilding of Lakers on 1540 The Ticket

hoopschick29 wrote:
sportsgod wrote:
1. Fire Mitch Kupchack

2. Strip Jim Buss of all basketball duties

3. Hire Sam Presti as the new General Manager.

Presti is the assistant GM of the Spurs and their director of player personnel. He's credited with finding Ginobili and Parker and is regarded league wide as a star in the making. The Spurs are the model franchise in terms of winning championships while still remaining at the salary cap and some NBA executives feel Presti is as responsible as R.C. Buford and Greg Popovich for the team's success.

The best part? He's only 29 years old and could be here for years.

Feel free to call in today and give me your thoughts. 800 770-1540, 4-7PM PDT.

Not gonna happen. If I thought the Buss Family was even remotely interested in bringing in an outsider, I would say fire Mitch Kupchak yesterday. But they're not. Jimmy Buss will be the next general manager of the Lakers. They're letting Mitch stand in and take all the heat while the Lakers go through their 'transitional phase.' But as soon as they get the inside track on a possible big acquisition, Mitch will be out, and Jimmy will be in taking all the credit.

I can't imagine that happening but nothing surprises me anymore.

If it does, we will become like the Celtics. A once proud dynasty to nothing because it makes bad decisions.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is a figure head...

The SECOND you guys figure that out will be the SECOND you stop calling for his head...

Everything that's going on is based on Dr. Buss' plan...not Mitch. Not Jimmy...

So if you have gripes, look to the top, not the scapegoat...
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:

Hey, I've been pimping the SA guys for at least the last two years. I love Sky's writings and opinions, but you guys often act like if Sky didn't say it, no one did. Not all of SKy's opinions are sui generis.

Peace.

BTW, Sportsgod, I think it would be a good idea to poach proven FO talent. I also wouldn't mind seeing Petrie in the FO.

SGH
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

The SECOND you guys figure that out will be the SECOND you stop calling for his head...

I have to agree with you there. People here act as though Dr. Buss is a senile old coot who isn't in touch with the organization, but I do believe he is still the one calling the shots. You can tell that when Phil or Mitch makes a statement they are buying into someone else's decision, not just their own. Mitch might be bad but he is surrounded by Phil and Dr. Buss who could provide a stopgap measure for any decision he makes. They are not powerless players in this organization.
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:

I agree with all of 'em. In regards to the 3rd post, the Spurs front office is the best in the league at acknowledging talent and acquiring them to play within the context of Pop's coach. Get one of 'em here and I swear they'll do a much better job than Mitch in an instant.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
RYZ wrote:
kenkoy wrote:

There have been people on this board, including myself, posting about Presti long before the start of the season or last week.

Problem is, Mitch seems to have a lifetime position with the organization and I am on record as saying they will not win a title again ever with him in charge, he is that bad.

A part of me agrees with you that kupcake is so bad that we won't win a championship.

As a fan, i hope that you're wrong. We have one of the best players now with kobe on this team. If mitch can get lucky and bring another superstar, we may get lucky and win another championship with kupcake.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-point plan to begin the rebuilding of Lakers on 1540 The Ticket

sportsgod wrote:
1. Fire Mitch Kupchack

2. Strip Jim Buss of all basketball duties

3. Hire Sam Presti as the new General Manager.

Presti is the assistant GM of the Spurs and their director of player personnel. He's credited with finding Ginobili and Parker and is regarded league wide as a star in the making. The Spurs are the model franchise in terms of winning championships while still remaining at the salary cap and some NBA executives feel Presti is as responsible as R.C. Buford and Greg Popovich for the team's success.

The best part? He's only 29 years old and could be here for years.

Feel free to call in today and give me your thoughts. 800 770-1540, 4-7PM PDT.

You are passionate Dave, but sometimes you have no clue what you're talking about. Your takes on Kobe and Shaq are dead on and that's why I started a thread that called you a genius which you mentioned on your show. However, everything else, you've been dead wrong. There are many examples, but 2 off the top of my head are Antonio Daniels and Gerald Green. You were about to lynch Mitch because we couldn't sign Daniels. Well , he is playing like horse crap, and the wizards are stuck with is 5 yrs $30 mil deal. You were going crazy and ranting about how you would have selected Gerald Green because he is an "immediate impact" type player. Both Andrew and Gerald are straight from high school, neither would be immediate help, but for whatever reason you just knew Gerald Green was immediate impact and that we passed on the next great thing. Yep, he's impacting the D-league. You knew about Gerald Green as much as we did, and I bet we all got our info from espn's pre-draft hype and hoopsworld smokescreen articles. Yet, what was annoying was that you preached with conviction as if you knew more about Green than we did, when in fact you didn't, and your analysis of him being an impact player immediately was just a wild guess.

Now you're on the Lakers for not doing whatever it takes to sign Spree. The man is 36 years old, he's finished. I like your takes on Shaq and Kobe, but I'll still leave the rebuilding part to Dr. Buss. It doesn't seem like Mitch is doing a good job, but if Dave Smith was running the Lakers, we would look like the New York Knicks.
sportsgod
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I never would have signed Daniels for that contract. I said I'd offer two years at the MLE. And yes, I like Gerald Green and still think he'll be a legit player. But if I'm wrong, then I'll admit it on the air and have some fun with it.

The Lakers would never look like the Knicks if I were in charge, because I always talk about bad contracts and the need to run the organization like the Spurs.

I was dead set against, Francis, K-Mart, Boozer, etc.
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Great show today Dave!

Not enoungh bashing on Sasha, Kwame, and Mitch though
kawai442
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
OH, yeah! turn the MAJOR decision making to a talk sports radio host, priceless.

It's actually happened before. Fred Claire's background was reporting and he was on world series. Pat Riley came from the booth to coach the Lakers.

Of course you look at the Detroit Lions and you can see it can also go terribly wrong.

As for Dave Smith, there is no consistency in the quality of his comments. Some are soooo stupid at times that I wonder if he's just out of ideas and is just trying to fill radio time.
LakerFanOC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Kwame and Odom are basically on their last chances in the league. If they don't do well here, no one else will want them ever. Why the heck do we always take on these types of players?
Gr8testEver
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers are gradually turning into the 49ers with corrupt ownership, bad personel decisions, and general execution in terms of rebuilding after the championship years. Problem with the Lakers is that with Kobe around they won't be good enough to do much with his current supporting cast yet won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick or so. Lakers are in NBA purgatory. Does that make Mitch the Devil???
Gr8testEver
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:

double post
Edienstag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:
You guys are blowing are problems way out of proportion, give the team time. (more than 2 seasons).

lol

What do you mean more time? Nobody is expecting anything close to even a championship now. Not the WCF. Just some effort and improvement and most importantly, smart basketball.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
Mitch is not that horrible - Bynum is a good pick.

Mitch wanted Sean May; Bynum was a Buss pick.

^^ Farmar

eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Edienstag wrote:
RMurphy_22 wrote:

lol

What do you mean more time? Nobody is expecting anything close to even a championship now. Not the WCF. Just some effort and improvement and most importantly, smart basketball.

Eh? They HAVE improved, but they are inconsistent; it also takes a long time to get the offense they are learning.

^^ Farmar

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

Nicely put, but not the answer that will appease the mob.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: