Can we extend THT before the season starts ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Can we extend THT before the season starts ?

I'm worried somebody could try to steal him from our team offering him the Moon and the Sky...
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject:

They can only offer him a MLE contract and we can match it. Don't worry about him, he will stay a Laker next year unless he starts being awful.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject:

I'd say there's pretty much zero chance he accepts any small contract offers right now when his stock is flying through the roof. Considering his age and overall game being a fantastic compliment to Lebron for the next couple years if he at all even remotely plays like he has shown all during the bubble and in the pre-season so far he'll be kept regardless after this season.

The biggest concern is who do we lose if a big raise is necessary but that's a great problem to have which I will not complain about at all if it does come to that!
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
I'd say there's pretty much zero chance he accepts any small contract offers right now when his stock is flying through the roof. Considering his age and overall game being a fantastic compliment to Lebron for the next couple years if he at all even remotely plays like he has shown all during the bubble and in the pre-season so far he'll be kept regardless after this season.

The biggest concern is who do we lose if a big raise is necessary but that's a great problem to have which I will not complain about at all if it does come to that!

I think we will keep the current team next year as we won't have a hard cap. Hoping that Jeannie is not afraid of spending money in the tax.

We may lose Montrezl and Matthews at most, we should be able to maintain the rest of the roster unless they go cheap.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Considering his age and overall game being a fantastic compliment to AD for the next couple years if he at all even remotely plays like he has shown all during the bubble and in the pre-season so far he'll be deservedly compensated regardless after this season.

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject:

THT is a RFA next season. Lakers could match any offer, no need to do anything now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:

We can't offer him too much because we're paying Luol Deng 5 million this year and next year for all the superb play he gave us. Much like Steve Nash, Deng was a Laker legend and deserves to be paid that much post career. Was so sad to see him go, but he was a superstar trade chip that we had to use back then. Nash and Deng lead us to the promised land. And Mozgov was another huge signing by Mitch. I'm proud that we're still paying Deng this year and next because it's like he's still a part of us in some way. We still get to have and hold his memory. Luol, we miss you, (crying). Mitch Kupchak, THANK YOU for the Nash, Mozgov, and Deng maneuvers! You were the best, Magic was totally crazy for firing Mitch and installing Pelinka. We've gone to sh ever since. And I HATE that we gave up almost every one of the youth movement for Bron and AD. We completely hit the dumps with those trades and cuttings.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

if it comes down o kuz vs THT FO got a big decision to make
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
hype wrote:

We can't offer him too much because we're paying Luol Deng 5 million this year and next year for all the superb play he gave us. Much like Steve Nash, Deng was a Laker legend and deserves to be paid that much post career. Was so sad to see him go, but he was a superstar trade chip that we had to use back then. Nash and Deng lead us to the promised land. And Mozgov was another huge signing by Mitch. I'm proud that we're still paying Deng this year and next because it's like he's still a part of us in some way. We still get to have and hold his memory. Luol, we miss you, (crying). Mitch Kupchak, THANK YOU for the Nash, Mozgov, and Deng maneuvers! You were the best, Magic was totally crazy for firing Mitch and installing Pelinka. We've gone to sh ever since. And I HATE that we gave up almost every one of the youth movement for Bron and AD. We completely hit the dumps with those trades and cuttings.

But Deng's contract won't matter next year as we will not be hardcapped.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
hype wrote:

What?! NOOO! I want Luol to continue to have SOME kind of impact on the squad, even if it's a negative impact. And I definitely want to continue to believe that Kuzma will become a different player every offseason just for him to return the same exact player every time! We must let that go on for at least a dozen more years.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
hype wrote:

What?! NOOO! I want Luol to continue to have SOME kind of impact on the squad, even if it's a negative impact. And I definitely want to continue to believe that Kuzma will become a different player every offseason just for him to return the same exact player every time! We must let that go on for at least a dozen more years.

Well, he will have an impact in Jeannie's wallet regarding the luxury tax
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
hype wrote:

CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
if it comes down o kuz vs THT FO got a big decision to make

Lol, both are restricted . We have the choice to match and keep them at the same time. It’s Schroder and Caruso who are both unrestricted. They are free to look somewhere else.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Caruso is high priority to me - I would absolutely find a way to lock him down.

THT vs Kuz is tough, I'd prefer to keep both - if forced to decide I'd go THT tho given his upside @ 20, in 2-3 years the guy could be a complete stud on both ends of the floor.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:

THT vs Kuz is tough, I'd prefer to keep both - if forced to decide I'd go THT tho given his upside @ 20, in 2-3 years the guy could be a complete stud on both ends of the floor.

I feel the same way. Kuz is the most expendable but I rather keep all of them for the right price. What do we do with Schroder with THT emergence is the question?
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:

I feel the same way. Kuz is the most expendable but I rather keep all of them for the right price. What do we do with Schroder with THT emergence is the question?

Klutch mafia always wins. Expect Schroder coming off the bench by February. If you have the possibility of a dynamic playmaker at 20, you have to give it a look. Not to mention that Schroder can only play limited minutes in the playoffs since he is 6'1 compared to THT at 6'4.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

DD20045 wrote:
CRoost wrote:

Klutch mafia always wins. Expect Schroder coming off the bench by February. If you have the possibility of a dynamic playmaker at 20, you have to give it a look. Not to mention that Schroder can only play limited minutes in the playoffs since he is 6'1 compared to THT at 6'4.

Schroder is better as attacking guard than as a secondary initiator anyway. The bench with Trez is the most suited role for him. Instead we should let AD expand his game with more playmaking ability instead of limiting him. This is the right time to do it and the regular season to get it done.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
They can only offer him a MLE contract and we can match it. Don't worry about him, he will stay a Laker next year unless he starts being awful.

chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:

We can keep THT no matter what he gets offered next season. Only issue is that a team could offer a poison pill contract that jumps in the 3rd year. If he becomes the next Kawhi could be an amazing but funny problem to have.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
We can keep THT no matter what he gets offered next season. Only issue is that a team could offer a poison pill contract that jumps in the 3rd year. If he becomes the next Kawhi could be an amazing but funny problem to have.

Good thing he is a Klutch client. Lol
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

I remember participating in a thread like this centered around Smush Parker after his first two regular season Laker games. Not saying it's the same thing, just that it triggered this memory...
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject:

Schroder is also a factor - I think he is making $16 million a year, and if he doesn't produce much more than KCP with his $13 million contract. I could see a scenario where Schroder does well, but wants $20 million plus, and takes the best offer out there. The Lakers make the hard NO pass, and slot THT to fill that role the following year.

Montrez I think is the same way, does better this year, opts out - somebody offers him $15-$20 million, and that may be too rich for our blood again.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
hype wrote:

Why won’t we be hardcapped?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
I remember participating in a thread like this centered around Smush Parker after his first two regular season Laker games. Not saying it's the same thing, just that it triggered this memory...

His best game w/ us was 1/14/06 at GS where he had 24, 12, 6, 3 on 9/12 FG. I put a recap up of that game and the real Smushy DL'd it and cut my watermarks off of it and re-up'd it on his own YT site. Bastard!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200601140GSW.html

His first two games look pretty good statwise. We must've thought he was here to stay. Until Gm 3.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
hype wrote:

Why won’t we be hardcapped?

Because we will probably keep this team, it does not make sense to get rid of almost everyone that we have signed this year. We might lose Harrell and maybe Matthews, but we will have bird rights for the rest of the roster, including Schröder, Morris, Kuzma, Caruso and THT. It wouldn't make sense to lose most of them and then sign one player for the MLE and several min contracts when the other option is to keep them and then sign one guy for the tax payer MLE.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: