Lakers’ who did and didn’t live up to the hype
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Lakers’ who did and didn’t live up to the hype

Feel free to name some recent or way back. Here’s my list, and I think THT will be on the “did” list. Name yours.

Did:
Kobe
Scott
Worthy
Magic
Nixon

Didn’t:
Billy Thompson
Brian Cook
Devin Ebanks
Darius Morris
Andrew Goudelock

Honorable mention (though not drafted by L.A.):
Tierre Brown- beloved because of 1 pre season game before showing his great limitations.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject:

All the players you like lived up to the hype and all the players you didn't like are overrated bums.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Kind of not fair since all of the players you listed that did live up to the hype were high lottery picks (outside of only Nixon I believe?) while the others were late first rounders and the last 3 were late 2nd rounders which is like hitting the lottery in the NBA. Then Tierre Brown was undrafted.

It just shows how amazing our drafting has been the last while. I'd be surprised if more then 1-2 other teams can come close to matching how well the Lakers have hit on late picks in both the 1st and 2nd round.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo... i was so hyped. Pre draft people were talking about trading No. 2 for Sac's 2 picks. I said if it came to pass , i would hope we could pick Lauri Markannen and Donovan Mitchell, but Lonzo should be better than those 2. Boy was I wrong.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
Lonzo... i was so hyped. Pre draft people were talking about trading No. 2 for Sac's 2 picks. I said if it came to pass , i would hope we could pick Lauri Markannen and Donovan Mitchell, but Lonzo should be better than those 2. Boy was I wrong.

Lonzo's polarizing but I think he'll be a good PG. His defense is very good and in the open court he's really a wizard.

DLO didn't live up to the hype. I really don't know what made him an Allstar. Dinwiddie was the better one out of them in BKN.
In LA he was a disappointment.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject:

Rank from most disappointing to least disappointing: Bynum, D’Angelo Russell, Lonzo Ball, Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, Jordan Farmar, Shannon Brown, Earl Clark.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
twisted wrote:

Lonzo's polarizing but I think he'll be a good PG. His defense is very good and in the open court he's really a wizard.

DLO didn't live up to the hype. I really don't know what made him an Allstar. Dinwiddie was the better one out of them in BKN.
In LA he was a disappointment.

Maybe because he carried that team on his back to the Playoffs and took them on an incredible run despite their injuries?
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
All the players you like lived up to the hype and all the players you didn't like are overrated bums.
It’s not personal. Players who weren’t stars are on the “didn’t” list. I didn’t list players like Eldon Campbell or Anthony Peeler because there’s probably no consensus on players with their accomplishments.

We’re excited about THT over a pre season game (like Tierre’s). Could we be judging him too quickly? Could he turn into an overrated bum who only shined in pre season? A lot of guys get hot on occasion and have a big game. The fast breaks, free throws, and put backs were fun to watch and added up to impressive numbers. Now we’re trying to judge whether what we saw is dependable or not. Many would say we’re getting ahead of ourselves but from what I saw, I think his game is legit.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
I didn’t list players like Eldon Campbell or Anthony Peeler because there’s probably no consensus on players with their accomplishments.

Those two both got raw deals from Lakers fans. Considering where they were drafted they had good careers. Peeler was a fourth quarter threat for teams after being traded away and Elden was a reliable rebounder and shot blocker who could also score in the post. I think the problem with both of them was that Lakers fans hoisted unrealistic expectations on them, and in Elden's case he could be make some boneheaded plays and looked unorthodox and sounded like a cartoon giant which made it worse.

Crittenton is a guy who had a lot of hype based on his SPL and then flamed out spectacularly. Although we only caught the middle act of it, Kwame Brown was a guy who it was easy to buy into maybe turning his career around in L.A. but apart from being a good post defender that never happened.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
It’s not personal. Players who weren’t stars are on the “didn’t” list. I didn’t list players like Eldon Campbell or Anthony Peeler because there’s probably no consensus on players with their accomplishments.

We’re excited about THT over a pre season game (like Tierre’s). Could we be judging him too quickly? Could he turn into an overrated bum who only shined in pre season? A lot of guys get hot on occasion and have a big game. The fast breaks, free throws, and put backs were fun to watch and added up to impressive numbers. Now we’re trying to judge whether what we saw is dependable or not. Many would say we’re getting ahead of ourselves but from what I saw, I think his game is legit.

THT showed it in all of the bubble qualifying games and 2 games in the Playoffs as well (which he had the broadcasters confused who tf he was since he was playing so well out of nowhere against top competition haha). You got to remember he dealt with injuries last season not to mention getting his body in NBA shape which he didn't really do until the long layoff before the bubble return. Also, the most impressive thing about him is how he looks like a 10 year vet out there and can get to the basket almost at will already even with Kawhi or George on him. He def. wont continue shooting like he has obviously on a consistent basis but he's clearly a player. The all star talk or him being a franchise type player is wayyyy overkill this early but the hype of him being legit is warranted thus far imo. He's doing all this as a barely 20 year old.

He has a great frame and offensive game already where he can still be a huge factor ala Caruso even if his shot isn't falling but I agree with you where he still has to prove that over a long regular season which I believe he absolutely will but only time will tell for certain.

It will be very interesting watching how he plays throughout the season when he has to play much lower minutes and as a lower option though. He also will not be a secret to anyone in the NBA for much longer.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:

Mitchell was a stud from the get go in Summer League, even before the Slam Dunk Championship. I remember in fall some dude made a #2 Ball jersey and people going crazy long before we even had the pick. Remember all the stress to keep those protected picks?? We kept the picks and flipped them
for AD and that Shiny Trophy #17. An irregular path to glory, but sweet nonetheless.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject:

Anyone remember when we traded for Kwame Brown and Lakers fans insisted he would somehow magically become an All-Star?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject:

I remember a lot of buz about Javaris Crittenton among us..

Russell
Ingram

These two will end up being everything they were projected to be.. though their development timeline didn't align with current expectations.

Was holding out hope for Randle, but it doesn't look like he'll be what we were all hoping for.

I have no idea what to think about Ball, and Kuz.. I can't tell what direction they're headed in lol..
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject:

Smush Parker anyone?

I really liked him, but Sasha didn't live up to the hype either. Lonzo and Randle I think are the biggest busts of our drafts the past ten years.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject:

Considering someone on this forum started a thread that boldly proclaimed that Kobe had passed the torch to him, I'd say Paul George is the #1 guy who didn't live up to they hype here. Followed by Marcus Banks.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
I didn’t list players like Eldon Campbell or Anthony Peeler because there’s probably no consensus on players with their accomplishments.

Those two both got raw deals from Lakers fans. Considering where they were drafted they had good careers. Peeler was a fourth quarter threat for teams after being traded away and Elden was a reliable rebounder and shot blocker who could also score in the post. I think the problem with both of them was that Lakers fans hoisted unrealistic expectations on them, and in Elden's case he could be make some boneheaded plays and looked unorthodox and sounded like a cartoon giant which made it worse.

Crittenton is a guy who had a lot of hype based on his SPL and then flamed out spectacularly. Although we only caught the middle act of it, Kwame Brown was a guy who it was easy to buy into maybe turning his career around in L.A. but apart from being a good post defender that never happened.

I still feel that if Crittendon stayed he would have prolonged Kobe's prime. A 2nd ball handler/playmaker would have been nice. He got traded and got buried under 2 better guards and that was all she wrote.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject:

Steve Nash. We got NOTHING out of him and lost a mid lottery pick (10th), a late 1st rounder and 2 second rounders for him.
Smoothness101
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

Ramon Sessions. Never understood the hype that he'd reignite our title hopes.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

Completely false. I liked them all and rooted for them.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

Sasha the machine not only created the hype he exceeded the hype.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

Smoothness101 wrote:
Ramon Sessions. Never understood the hype that he'd reignite our title hopes.

Man, I remember getting hype, he had a breakaway dunk or something on his first game with us, I think the commentators were hyped too (about speed/athleticism... D.Fish slight a lil)
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

Kobe and Shaq. They should have won at least 6 rings together.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

Doug Christie. He only performed for Jackie, while properly leashed.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:

AP and Elden weren't disappointments afaic. I watch a lot of old footage all the time, too. My memories are fresh. By 96, AP was canning shot after shot for long stretches. He was a gamer. Elden was derided a lot, but he improved every year from his rookie season to 1997. He was a beanpole as a rook like Ingram, but unlike BI, he filled out progressively more. He was capable of some impressive games and he became a formidable load on the low block against shorter star PFs. He scored all over Chuck and Shawn. Elden was a natural C in a PF's body. He played his best ball at C and with a cleared side and a lot of time to back down. He scored 40 on Ewing in 97 and then 36 on Muresan the next night. In 99 when we had JR Reid (disgusting) against Tim Duncan in SA's 4 gm sweep of us, it became clear that we needed Campbell more than we needed Rice, at least in the Rambis Admin. I've said it many times. Shaq's entrance ate up the gamespace that Ced and Elden preferred, low block stuff, junk putbacks for Ced who was a marvel at that play. Shaq blotted all that out by himself. Elden played best when Shaq was DNP.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Doug Christie. He only performed for Jackie, while properly leashed.

That's a good one. We gave up Perk for him. He was one of those players who took years to pan out, a la Nash. He couldn't hack LA and NY. Toronto is where he started to play well. Expansion team w/ meager expectations, tho Mike Malone the coach got fired for trying to win too many games in Year 1.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: