Lakers’ who did and didn’t live up to the hype
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers’ who did and didn’t live up to the hype

lakersboy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Feel free to name some recent or way back. Here’s my list, and I think THT will be on the “did” list. Name yours.

Did:
Kobe
Scott
Worthy
Magic
Nixon

Didn’t:
Billy Thompson
Brian Cook
Devin Ebanks
Darius Morris
Andrew Goudelock

Honorable mention (though not drafted by L.A.):
Tierre Brown- beloved because of 1 pre season game before showing his great limitations.

There really wasn't any hype to Darius Morris, Andrew Goudelock, Devin Ebanks, and Tierre Brown. They were undrafted or second picks who panned out in the way you'd expect.

Or at least they only had "hype" to the extent that some fans will think any untested player who makes a shot in a preseason game is going to be the second coming.

Tierre had a good game in pre season and Lakers fans, including me, began discussing and posting that he could pick up the slack as our pg. We kept waiting for him to do it again but he proved to be fools gold.

Ebanks followed Ariza and there was hopeful chatting about him being a clone. Phil tried to make him fit but he wasn’t good enough.

Goudelock was called “Mini Mamba” by Lakers fans who had high hopes before Mike Brown decided he didn’t want him anymore.

Morris had his detractors among fans for dribbling too much, but many of us hoped he could show he was the one each time he came in the game.

Was there any hype around Kwame Brown or did people already know he was a bust by the time he got here?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers’ who did and didn’t live up to the hype

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Feel free to name some recent or way back. Here’s my list, and I think THT will be on the “did” list. Name yours.

Did:
Kobe
Scott
Worthy
Magic
Nixon

Didn’t:
Billy Thompson
Brian Cook
Devin Ebanks
Darius Morris
Andrew Goudelock

Honorable mention (though not drafted by L.A.):
Tierre Brown- beloved because of 1 pre season game before showing his great limitations.

There really wasn't any hype to Darius Morris, Andrew Goudelock, Devin Ebanks, and Tierre Brown. They were undrafted or second picks who panned out in the way you'd expect.

Or at least they only had "hype" to the extent that some fans will think any untested player who makes a shot in a preseason game is going to be the second coming.

Tierre had a good game in pre season and Lakers fans, including me, began discussing and posting that he could pick up the slack as our pg. We kept waiting for him to do it again but he proved to be fools gold.

Ebanks followed Ariza and there was hopeful chatting about him being a clone. Phil tried to make him fit but he wasn’t good enough.

Goudelock was called “Mini Mamba” by Lakers fans who had high hopes before Mike Brown decided he didn’t want him anymore.

Morris had his detractors among fans for dribbling too much, but many of us hoped he could show he was the one each time he came in the game.

Was there any hype around Kwame Brown or did people already know he was a bust by the time he got here?

There was def. some hype with people thinking a change of scenery could help him and to get away from Jordan. I don't think many believed he would become great or anything but at least solid offensively. I still remember I was collecting cards still a bit at the time and I bought an autographed rookie card as soon as I heard the trade go down and was excited thinking the value would go up
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

"Chise"

I forgot how much that self-made nickname grated on me.

FWIW, Chise was indeed franchise at those garbage taps and putbacks. Probably the best at it. I'd cite Rodman, but he wanted to tap it to himself instead of at the basket even tho he would pick up a rebound on every tap-in that he converted. Dennis felt icky about scoring, it appeared. I remember seeing an asst coach (I wanna say at DET on the road), who, after Ced's 3rd-4th putback among the opposing bigmen, had his clipboard in front of him w/ outstretched arms while he was stomping his feet about 4x. Ced finally pushed Dude's freaky button whoever he was. He was savage, w/ his feet goin' whap!, whap!, whap!, whap!

This one here at 11 secs into the vid is an ideal clip to show how genius he was at that. He just saunters into the mix after all the bigs forgot he was there and slippy slappy tippy tap happy pullin his taffy and scores. A literal depiction of the scene: Elden is busy missing shot after shot at the rim while Ced is standing at the arc pulling his taffy and getting more and more of an idea to trot into the mix himself and then he just shoves Popeye outta there.

epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

2 other guys who lived up:

Lebron and AD
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

Wesley Johnson... as he rolls down the hill in The Princess Bride.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Wesley Johnson... as he rolls down the hill in The Princess Bride.

As... you... wish...
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

And let's not forget the JUCO Tracy McGrady: Cory Hightower
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Robert Upshaw (honorable mention/G-League).
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

"Chise"

I forgot how much that self-made nickname grated on me.

FWIW, Chise was indeed franchise at those garbage taps and putbacks. Probably the best at it. I'd cite Rodman, but he wanted to tap it to himself instead of at the basket even tho he would pick up a rebound on every tap-in that he converted. Dennis felt icky about scoring, it appeared. I remember seeing an asst coach (I wanna say at DET on the road), who, after Ced's 3rd-4th putback among the opposing bigmen, had his clipboard in front of him w/ outstretched arms while he was stomping his feet about 4x. Ced finally pushed Dude's freaky button whoever he was. He was savage, w/ his feet goin' whap!, whap!, whap!, whap!

This one here at 11 secs into the vid is an ideal clip to show how genius he was at that. He just saunters into the mix after all the bigs forgot he was there and slippy slappy tippy tap happy pullin his taffy and scores. A literal depiction of the scene: Elden is busy missing shot after shot at the rim while Ced is standing at the arc pulling his taffy and getting more and more of an idea to trot into the mix himself and then he just shoves Popeye outta there.

Ced was a master at cleaning up the trash around the rim, but he simply wasn't a fit with Shaq. But Ced got us Horry. Horry was destined for greatness in purple and gold. What Lakers fan didn't shout obscenities at Danny Ainge, or wish to throw a dirty towel into the sour face?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: