Gilbert Arenas wants to intern as a Lakers coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Intern for security. Lock and load.

And we already have a shooting coach. There would be something not right about employing both parties involved in that Wizards locker room mishap.
Druggas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

He wants to learn from the best! What's the problem?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

Gilbert Arenas was inspired to get into coaching by Kobe Bryant
Arenas’ regular interactions with Bryant at their daughters’ AAU games convinced him to pay it forward with the next generation.

In their retirements, Bryant and Arenas often crossed paths at AAU tournaments. Arenas has four children, and Bryant would habitually encourage Arenas to get involved as a coach for one of his kids’ teams, a path that obviously brought Bryant a lot of joy in his post-NBA life. Arenas shared the story with Julie Stewart-Binks of the first time Bryant made the suggestion on an episode of “Drinks With Binks”:

“We’re at the gym and Kobe’s Mamba team is there, so we go shake hands and then he tells his daughter, ‘This is the mother****er that scored 60 on me, can you believe that s**t?’ So he introduces me to GiGi, and then we’re just talking about the kids. I say, ‘Yeah my daughter’s over there,’ and then he was like, ‘Can she shoot like you?’ I was like, ‘Nah she’s more raw talent, you know, raw talent, kinda lazy but really gifted.’ He said, ‘You can teach lazy and you can teach shooting, so don’t even worry about that....

“He’s like, ‘Why aren’t you coaching?’ I was like, ‘I don’t wanna deal with parents.’ He was like, ‘But it’s the future. You know the kids are the future. Take all that knowledge you have, you’ve seen, you’ve studied, prepared, and put it into the future. If I knew what I knew now back when I was a rookie, oh my god. I had to learn on my own, so now it’s our job to give it to them earlier, so coach.’”

Not everyone is suited to coach, and certain arguments can be made that Arenas is the wrong person to be coaching a kids team, but Bryant believed in redemption and second acts. He also clearly felt very passionately about women’s basketball. According to Arenas, for nearly a year, every time they ran into one another, Bryant would ask him if he had started coaching yet.

Finally, on that horrible day, Arenas woke up with an epiphany that he wanted to take the leap.

“That Sunday morning 3 a.m. waking up, knee hurts, feel like it’s gonna rain, like I can feel it in my knees, I’m sitting there dreaming like I’m just gonna call the coach and tell him I’m gonna coach, that’s what we’re gonna do. So then around 7:00 the team is in Oakland, and they’re playing in the big Oakland tournament, so I call them and I say, ‘Hey man you know what, I think I want to coach.’ ... And then an hour later I get the tragic news, and I’m like what does this mean. The day I decide that, the one person that hounded me of coaching, I decide I’m going to coach that day, and that happens, I spent weeks trying to figure out like what is this.

It’s like one of those things where it can really hurt you mentally, because it’s like that isn’t supposed to happen like that. It’s supposed to happen like I see him the next time and my team is coaching against his team.”

Despite that crisis of faith, Arenas decided he wanted to stick to his word and coach an AAU team. It didn’t happen the way he imagined, but it meant so much to him that Bryant wanted him to be a coach.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2020/5/5/21248357/lakers-news-gilbert-arenas-inspired-aau-coaching-kobe-bryant-girldad

Alright, got into my feels a bit watching this. If Arenas is serious, I wouldn't mind giving him a chance.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Would rather not give a coaching position to a guy that people call "No Chill Gil". I'm all for redemption stories, but coaching is something you need to have the personality traits for. Prove it on someone else's dollar before being handed a position with the world champs.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Every time he talks about wanting to "intern" he brings up Kobe.. Honestly, for me it's doing the exact opposite of making me want to root for him.. If he brought him up once while telling a backstory that would be one thing but it feels like he's almost purposely name dropping now to better his chances. I actually don't mind his vids i've watched on Youtube or when I seen him talking on TV but he def. comes off as someone who thinks he knows wayyyy more then he really does like he has all these answers for current and past superstars and how many are playing the game wrong but he has the answers! Ol' snake oil Gil.

Maybe a better route for him would be to team up with Mike Brown only a few hours away and they can revamp the Dvd's with new game changing footage in outstanding 4k clarity to really impress some front offices!
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I agree with South Bay as a great place to begin. Should he be able to really teach game strategy and the virtues of film study, maybe he would become a greater piece to the Laker legacy. Should his interest wane along the way, he would have proven to himself that it was a passing interest. I would not offer Gil a spot with a clipboard in LA at this time however. Too many cooks in the kitchen currently.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: