Think We Need a Rim Protecting Big? (LAL rank 23rd in Defending Points in Paint)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
It befuddles me truly that anyone would go "This person from the G-League would be a better defender for us than Gasol who was statistically one of the best big defenders in the league last year."

They really really are underestimating Gasol and what he brings.

Beyond that, I don't care about Zubac or these other dudes. Just Jokic and Embiid, and out of all the remaining 5s, Gasol is best.

But right now it's going to look ugly defensively for awhile because LAL is just getting by on pure talent/depth, and doesn't even need to exert defensive discipline to even be a .600 team.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

To the people that know draft evaluation and seen him play. How’s Justin Patton. I’m always a sucker for 1st round guys that didn’t pan out but would have a limited role. I wanted to check out Josh Jackson for that same reason. They aren’t worthy of the high pick but maybe off the bench playing 15 min when needed.

Longtime LG lurker.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
King Randle wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
I don’t think we do. Did anyone notice that the driving lanes were more open compare to last season? Partly due to gasol standing outside a lot. AD had more room to operate, and when they send doubles, we have 3 good passes on the court.
Also trez had a lot of room to do his thing, and he certain did great. Personally I don’t see how Dwight and trez would’ve worked together giving they both stand in the lane a lot. Trez is a much better offense player and rotates faster on defense especially on pick and rolls.

We might not have a traditional , but we have big wings and AD.

It’s the D that’s concerning. Players get to the rim to easily right now. That didn’t happen last year.

Penetrating layups against Gasol might make it look worse than it is (I'm guilty of it) but is there an actual stat of opp penetrating layup made FG percentage compared to last year (2 games in I know!!!)?

There probably is.... but all you need is the eye test. Look at how many players drive to the paint and just ignore Gasol or pull and shoot over him... not to mention PNR lobs. I welcome u to watch Dwight...players don’t penetrate half as much and when they do they change their shots or look to pass. The Lakers were a top defensive team last year because they rebounded and controlled the paint. Sure they adjusted against Miami and Houston due to personnel. But against Portland and Denver and the regular season it was tough for teams to score in the paint.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
To the people that know draft evaluation and seen him play. How’s Justin Patton. I’m always a sucker for 1st round guys that didn’t pan out but would have a limited role. I wanted to check out Josh Jackson for that same reason. They aren’t worthy of the high pick but maybe off the bench playing 15 min when needed.

Have been calling for him on a 2 way. Has been injury prone but has shown signs in the GLeague.

45/13/9/6blocks vs our lakers GLeague team.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/justin-patton-nba-draft-scouting-report-and-video-analysis-5912/
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:

I liked him a ton into the draft, but he needs to be absolutely healthy first before the skill progression. Slow to read offense, but it doesn't matter as much for 5s that are just put in finishing positions.

The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
The Gr8 Lakes wrote:

I liked him a ton into the draft, but he needs to be absolutely healthy first before the skill progression. Slow to read offense, but it doesn't matter as much for 5s that are just put in finishing positions.

How’s he defending 1on1 or protecting the rim? Seems like someone that could help given his body type and decent offensive game.

Longtime LG lurker.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
The Gr8 Lakes wrote:

How’s he defending 1on1 or protecting the rim? Seems like someone that could help given his body type and decent offensive game.

Average at best and I'm sure health concerns affect the timing. He's more of a finesse 5 than a physical one anyway.

He's the guy that's the "if healthy, then..." type. I'd give him a year to get healthy and then probably put him on an NBA roster the following year.

The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Gotcha. I know the minutes are scarce but having a 6’11 athlete that can grab some rebounds and block some shots would be nice. This players is only needed for 4-5 teams we play but still nice to get one in here.

Longtime LG lurker.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Gasol did good protecting the rim last night didn’t he? But the wolves kinda G-league looking without KAT or maybe that was all us. Anyway, a comfortable Gasol is a beast on offense and pretty dang good on defense
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Gasol did good protecting the rim last night didn’t he? But the wolves kinda G-league looking without KAT or maybe that was all us. Anyway, a comfortable Gasol is a beast on offense and pretty dang good on defense

It was an easier assignment for Gasol with Naz Reid and DLO being perimeter oriented players, but it was still a ton of PnR containment. If anything, it was more challenging because Reid is a 3pt threat and Minny can come out with 5-out spacing, but it wasn't an issue for LAL.

Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Yes.

Spurs first 4 baskets: dunk, layup, layup, layup-and1

Spurs 7 out of 8 baskets so far is inside the paint!!!

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Yes.

Spurs first 4 baskets: dunk, layup, layup, layup-and1

This team's 2nd best attribute behind LBJ attacking the rim is Davis being able to wreak havoc with a rim protector behind him. I'm cool with Gasol but they need at least a buyout 12mpg big or Dedmon.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Trez looking like Gary Coleman out there on D. We also need a wing defender.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Stu Lantz just said yes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject:

yeah.. if we get beat on the perimeter it's either a layup/dunk drill or someone (mostly trezz) manages to slid under and get a charge.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject:

We Could try to get Favors for Trezz

Salaries would match
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject:

People put things on gasol

But it’s not gasol. It’s Davis and Lebron aren’t going full go yet. Especially on defense

That’s 2 out of your 3 starters

People are expecting strange things from gasol. You’d see the same thing going on right now with Dwight out there

If Davis and Lebron aren’t ready to go yet defensively (which I’m fine with) you’re not going to see good defense. Idc if 2012 Marc gasol is back there
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

AD is playing in cruise control right now, including on defense.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

We have AD, so yes we're using a guy capable of much rim-protecting, essentially every night he plays. In terms of the club's need to acquire additional help in that area, for me it's too premature to know much about this group's ultimate capabilities in all of its combinations.

The Lakers are just starting the process. They're adapting to the loss of two significant, experienced and familiar rotation centers from a championship run. They are working in the skills - and around the limitations - of other big men new to the club. They're learning how to play together, based on what works right off the bat.

Just gonna hope for continued good health from the key guys and watch for results. We'll know a ton more in another month.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject:

Remember Dwight only played 19mpg last year. Gasol is an upgrade over McGee but it would have been nice to keep Dwight. Still that isn't really the issue. AD has not been the defensive force he was last year, but that will probably surface later in the season. Defensive rotations are still off as well.

With Giannis now signed long term, the team can dump his brother if an option appears, but for now, they are just getting the pieces going.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Remember Dwight only played 19mpg last year. Gasol is an upgrade over McGee but it would have been nice to keep Dwight. Still that isn't really the issue. AD has not been the defensive force he was last year, but that will probably surface later in the season. Defensive rotations are still off as well.

With Giannis now signed long term, the team can dump his brother if an option appears, but for now, they are just getting the pieces going.

Gianni's brother is on a two-way contract, so unless they changed the rules post-covid, dumping him doesn't give the Lakers an extra roster spot.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Whiteside will be available at some point this season if he isn't already.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:

He’s making $27M this year, so...nah.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:

That was last season. He's making the NBA minimum this season
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:

That was last season. He's making the NBA minimum this season

Still don't want him. Low BBIQ.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 5 of 26
Jump to: