Think We Need a Rim Protecting Big? (LAL rank 23rd in Defending Points in Paint)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
AD is playing in cruise control right now, including on defense.

If we sign a rim protector then AD can stay in cruise control til the All-Star break.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:
AD is playing in cruise control right now, including on defense.

If we sign a rim protector then AD can stay in cruise control til the All-Star break.
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/showtimeforum/status/1345217729167458305?s=21
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject:

The rim protection is solved easily just how we did it in the end - by using AD at the 5. Both games LA won in SAN, AD closed at the 5. One was with Kief, this one with Kuz. I think Vogel understands they lost vertical rim protection and size, and that he greatly values that. But he has to ensure AD stays fresh for the playoffs. But come playoffs, I would be surprised if this is a big issue, unless we over rely on Trez at the 5.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Gasol has been doing great the last 3 or 4 games. Give him a few more games to get in B ball shape. And AD is AD
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, not like Dwight or especially McGee was used much in the Playoffs anyways. Gasol can be a body against Jokic in the Playoffs (replacing the only real meaningful minutes in the Playoffs between the two). Not a single big man including AD is coming close to shutting him down anyways (and even more so vice versa) as long as he has to at least work hard on a good chunk of his half court play that's a win imo. Overall the Nuggets aren't nearly the threat they were last season anyways if they stand pat. Losing Grant was a massive loss overall but especially facing us since he was able to guard Lebron pretty well. Outside of them there's no Contending teams in the West i'm worried about at all at the center spot.

Gasol has already looked tremendously better then he did the first few and will only look better once we start making that Playoff push later in the season.

There's absolutely no question Rob and the FO will be looking to pick up a rim protector at some point whether it's a Euro, buyout, small trade or whatever.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject:

Gasol's doing a good job at it.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject:

One additional rim protector couldn't possibly hurt.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
Gasol has been doing great the last 3 or 4 games. Give him a few more games to get in B ball shape. And AD is AD

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:

This is how I feel. Just have that tool to use. Don’t have to use it every night.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nobody wrote:

This is how I feel. Just have that tool to use. Don’t have to use it every night.
Agreed!!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

It's really the big man pick and roll coverage that is our weakness.
Gasol doesn't have the agility to hard hedge or switch. And Trez's positioning with P&R defense needs some work.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Gasol doesn't have the agility to hard hedge or switch. And Trez's positioning with P&R defense needs some work.

It's the entire team around them that needs to sort their positioning, around 2 defensive position centers.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see if the Lakers add one when they are able to. I agree it would be a nice luxury to have another big to use when needed.

Just think that with cap issues they are going to be limited this season. Any replacement or added players will depend on not just who is available but if the Lakers have a significant injury at some point. Unfortunately a reality that must be considered over a long season.

We may just have to accept that this team is different. With different strengths and weaknesses. The trade off for more offense may be less rim protecting and paint presence. Defense may not be elite level all season
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
It will be interesting to see if the Lakers add one when they are able to. I agree it would be a nice luxury to have another big to use when needed.

Just think that with cap issues they are going to be limited this season. Any replacement or added players will depend on not just who is available but if the Lakers have a significant injury at some point. Unfortunately a reality that must be considered over a long season.

We may just have to accept that this team is different. With different strengths and weaknesses. The trade off for more offense may be less rim protecting and paint presence. Defense may not be elite level all season

Honestly I hate the argument, because this hypothetical rim protecting big isn't even available.

https://www.nba.com/freeagents/2020-tracker

Pick one. None of them protect the rim half as good as Dwight, so why are we bothering?

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

2/23 is when we will have enough cap space under the hard cap to sign someone.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Honestly I hate the argument, because this hypothetical rim protecting big isn't even available.

Pick one. None of them protect the rim half as good as Dwight, so why are we bothering?

And that may be the final decision. Accepting that the Lakers are not as dominant at “protecting the rim” this season.

They have other players and other defensive areas to improve on. Hopefully the decline of elite defense is offset by increased offensive output. Or more likely relying on a different defensive concept. Positioning and on ball pressure over rim intimidation.
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

And that may be the final decision. Accepting that the Lakers are not as dominant at “protecting the rim” this season.

They have other players and other defensive areas to improve on. Hopefully the decline of elite defense is offset by increased offensive output. Or more likely relying on a different defensive concept. Positioning and on ball pressure over rim intimidation.

People have an interesting idea of what rim protection is. McGee was terrible at it. Rim protection isn’t blocking 1 or 2 shots in a game

Gasol is better than McGee at it already

The reason it looks worse is everyone else isn’t playing as hard defensively as they did last season

Lebron and AD are both cruising. That’s your 2 superstars and that’s out of 3 starters

Remember last year how the entire national media was raving about lebrons revitalized defense

Dwight and especially McGee won’t make a difference if people are taking plays off defensively. 2012 gasol wouldn’t be able to protect the rim
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I'm not as concerned, because defense is won on position more than intimidation, but the team as a whole is playing 60% to 70% at best, and it's like watching scrimmage/extended preseason anyway, so any extreme reaction to these games to me, seems unwarranted.

It's going to be a layup line for awhile. Not just a month. Maybe 2 or 3. Gasol wasn't a great PnR defender when TOR won the championship too. He wasn't even in his athletic prime.

If there's a real rim protecting big or Tyson Chandler unwinds age by 5 years, then sure, absolutely. But it's not Zizic, Ian Mahinmi, Kyle O'Quinn, etc. Hell, if anything, people are SORELY underrating the 3rd big play of Markieff Morris.

LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
kikanga wrote:

It's the entire team around them that needs to sort their positioning, around 2 defensive position centers.

I’m glad someone said it. Gasol is doing fine. He can’t cover the mistakes of 4 other guys all game

No one can
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I'm not as concerned, because defense is won on position more than intimidation, but the team as a whole is playing 60% to 70% at best, and it's like watching scrimmage/extended preseason anyway, so any extreme reaction to these games to me, seems unwarranted.

It's going to be a layup line for awhile. Not just a month. Maybe 2 or 3. Gasol wasn't a great PnR defender when TOR won the championship too. He wasn't even in his athletic prime.

If there's a real rim protecting big or Tyson Chandler unwinds age by 5 years, then sure, absolutely. But it's not Zizic, Ian Mahinmi, Kyle O'Quinn, etc. Hell, if anything, people are SORELY underrating the 3rd big play of Markieff Morris.

Who we closed with over Dwight most of the time outside of the nuggets series
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The rim protection is solved easily just how we did it in the end - by using AD at the 5. Both games LA won in SAN, AD closed at the 5. One was with Kief, this one with Kuz. I think Vogel understands they lost vertical rim protection and size, and that he greatly values that. But he has to ensure AD stays fresh for the playoffs. But come playoffs, I would be surprised if this is a big issue, unless we over rely on Trez at the 5.

That was what we closed with last season in most playoff games lol

Even with Dwight on the team.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

That was what we closed with last season in most playoff games lol

Even with Dwight on the team.

Yep, which is despite the obvious exposed weakness, I am not at all worried about this. I know come playoffs we need a healthy AD or no ring' And if we have a healthy AD we have the best defensive 5 in the league. He not only can rim protect, he can switch out and rotate to 3 point shooters, something I think almost no one who protects the rim like him can do, aside from maybe Porzingis and he is not as good as AD.

The only concern with the changes with our bigs I have is Trez, Trez is showing that he struggles on D in both situations where he has to rotate on screens, or get to a 3 point shooter. And then also gets bullied a bit when he is at the 5. Come playoffs, we will need to limit his minutes ala McGee if that trend continues, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Trez drives me nuts. I can't call him an average to lousy defender ala Randle because the numbers won't let us. Interior he actually measures out great. He can block. Excellent situation DFg%.Trouble is that's deep/within 5 feet. That doesn't count all the blown assignments. Bad rotations. PnR d? Lol. Does he even know what a blitz is? Show high? Drop coverage? He had some of the worst mileage and speed ratings in the league. Lazy Defense. Guarding air across court when your man is rolling to the hoop.....and all this eas a issue Last year so it's not a get used to issue.

So far not part of the last 10 mins of the fourth for sure. Just don't dig us a hole before that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

If anything need to play AD with Trez at all times.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 6 of 26
Jump to: