MAVS -at- LAKERS - 12/20 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: MAVS -at- LAKERS - 12/20 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Lakers Gift Fans a W on Christmas... They’ve been pretty good to us fans this year. And if you celebrate Christmas, you were probably unwrapping various Laker-themed gifts as a result today. Coming through with a W for their fans in the Christmas game was much appreciated in this household and I’m sure many others.

The team is just scratching the surface of their game and identity on both ends. We saw the Lakers get out on the break for scores in transition as well as knock down threes from a range of players. Six Lakers hit multiple threes in the 138-115 blowout against the Mavs.

Short writeup tonight. (I was going to take the day off but had time to slip something in. Hopefully, others bring some good commentary as usual!)

LeBron -- -- Slightly less rusty and more engaged than the last one, but still in preseason mode to me. And he ended up three boards shy of a triple-double. He looked winded early and got a bit lazy late in the game. You could see when his attention was fading in that fourth. In fact, he had a stretch of airballing a freethrow, taking an odd one-footed fading three on a two-for-one, and then zipping a pass over everyone’s head. The chemistry with Schröder also looked a bit choppy at times. Once we sat him in the fourth for some energy guys, the Lakers cruised. And, yet, still nearly a triple-double. One of the positive plays I wanted to mention, though, was a nice bounce pass to Trezz on the two-man game on the wing for an easy score. Trezz stuck LeBron’s man with a hard screen and LeBron found that passing window. Looked pretty. Looked natural. And I hope we see a whole lot more of that from those two. Just 12 points behind Kobe for most points scored on Christmas games. Weird stat (383 points). The Stats: He scored 22 points on 8-18 shooting (3-8 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 10 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers an no fouls in 31 minutes. He was a +16.

Davis -- -- Just making it look easty. He wanted the team to play with more pace after the last one. They’ve been stuck in mud this preseason and in the first game. Tonight, they throttled it up, AD included. He was pushing out boards or filling lanes early on. So we finally got some pace back into our game and he was contributing to that effort. That three ball is looking great as he knocked down 3-5. They want him to take 5-6 a game. He did his usual work from the midrange and also dropped a pretty lengthy jumphook from Kareem’s favorite spot. I like that we can control a game with LBJ and AD going around 30 minutes a piece. The Stats: He scored 28 points on 10-16 shooting (3-5 from three, 5-7 from the line) to go with 8 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 30 minutes. He was a +16.

Schröder -- -- I don’t know if he broke a sweat on his 18 points and 6 assists. He made that look easy. I can already see he offense adjusting just a little bit more to fit his game in. We saw that OKC early offense give and go with AD after a made freethrow. He pushed the ball up, hit AD, took the handoff and changed gears before the help D could catch up. That resulted in an And-1. It’s those little things that will add up over the next few months. He had a number of one-man break sequences tonight. Defensively, he was more game than I would have thought against Doncic. Defensively, he’s good at the points of attack, but Luka has that size that’s tough to deal with. Still, he was feistier against him than I pictured he’d be. He’d pick Luka up full court and turn him two or three times on the way up court. Luka did a great job putting defenders in jail as the game went along and causing us trouble, but it all felt very contained tonight. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 7-11 shooting (1-3 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 6 assists, 4 turnovers and 5 fouls in 25 minutes. He was a +8.

Gasol -- -- Trezz should be starting. As my son put it, Gasol should be used for the “designated long boi’s.” We’re playing him more than that McGee role, for sure. In general, he looked better as the Mavs didn’t have a very aggressive 5-0 offense. So he could hang in the drop coverage without paying a significant price. He will look better and the team D with him as they get more time. And, for sure, they improved some of the execution tonight. You definitely miss seeing the guys who can go up the step ladder to block a shot. Gasol had challenges that forced Mavs to miss, but also had opponents go over or through him. Gasol explained after the last one that understanding his teammates’ tendencies and timing will help him a lot on D. But ultimately, his role will be limited during the playoffs and I assume a bit more as the season goes along. Offensively, we tried to put him in with the bench briefly where he could orchestrate some offense, but we didn’t explore that much. (KCP killed one play with over-handling the ball before giving it to Gasol, then Gasol threw it away trying to force it to AC.) With the starters, the passing is still not being activated. We did run an ATO with him in the high post to look for LeBron cutting or AD in the corner, so you can see it’s on Vogel’s mind. He’s definitely trying to get the team to integrate thinking about the offense that way. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 0-1 shooting from three (2-2 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 20 minutes. He was a +8.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- Pretty quiet night. He sunk a couple of threes, fed LeBron on the break. He’s been steady and dependable so far this season. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-7 shooting (2-6 from three) to go with 2 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks and 4 fouls in 24 minutes. He was a +14.

Harrell -- -- “Simple way to put it, he catches everything and he finishes everything,” Vogel said. Great game on the offensive end. He knocked down a few jumpers from that left baseline, including two in a row late in the game against a couple different defenders. Same exact shot, side to side dribble and then pull up. He dominated on the offensive glass. The second-chance points will break an opponent’s will. That’s ultimately one of those skills that kills with stars. If your impact is cleaning up their mistakes, it’s going to work well with stars. But we also killed it while LeBron was on the bench tonight. When you’ve got Trezz dropping 22 on top of Kuz and others doing what they do, you’re going to win a lot of games. The Stats: He scored 22 points on 10-13 shooting (0-1 from three, 2-5 from the line) to go with 7 boards (5 offensive), 2 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 4 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a +15.

Kuzma -- -- Very good offensive game from Kuz. He scored just 13, but it felt more impactful offensively. He gave the team some nice spark and solid perimeter shooting. For the most part, he was playing to his strengths, making quick shoot, pass, attack decisions. Defensively, he was good on the boards, had a nice help D rejection from behind, but isn’t there yet with locking in on the man D and have moments like we saw late in last season on that end of the floor. But his energy and effort was strong in this one. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-11 shooting (3-4 from three) to go with 6 boards (2 offensive), 2 assists, 1 block and 1 foul in 22 minutes. He was a +7.

Caruso -- -- Good energy off the bench. It seems inevitable that when the announcers talk about him he goes on a little run of impact plays. That happened tonight in the first half. He didn’t try to do too much like the last one and things looked smoother. He did have a turnover on a bad pass trying to work the two-man sequence with Trezz. There was no pocket there and I’m not sure what AC was doing with the pass, but Trezz was also hanging back on the wing as his man was doubling AC. You could see the two talking about that later (AC approached Trezz). AC needs to see those passing lanes better (that was either a behind-the-back feed or and over-the-top one, but not trying to squeeze it between legs with a bounce pass. Trezz gets it, it’s probably one of his floaters, which he’s money on. Scoring-wise, AC sank both of his threes for his points. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-2 shooting from three to go with 1 board, 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 13 minutes. He was a +10.

Matthews -- -- Better game than the last, but still kind of floating a bit out there. As mentioned previously, he attacks better than Green and had a nice drive into the paint tonight. He missed both threes and hasn’t dialed that in yet. Only one player with a negative on the +/- and that was Wes with his -3. A lot of different guys are eating his minutes. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-3 shooting (0-2 from three) to go with 1 board, 1 steal and 1 foul in 16 minutes. He was a -3.

Morris -- -- He had a couple 8-minute stretches wrapped around the quarters. He stretched the floor with three threes (I’m kind of surprised when he misses, to be honest). He had a nice handoff to Kuz early on cutting with speed around Kieff for the layup. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 3-5 shooting from three to go with 7 boards (3 offensive), 2 assists, 1 steal and no fouls in 15 minutes. He was a +3.

Horton-Tucker -- -- I’m glad he got a little bit of garbage time run to be aggressive. I don’t want to see that aggression squelched. It’s kind of been lost to the flow of the offense. I just want to see him have stretches of imposing his will, making mistakes, learning. In the first half, he was passive. After sitting all the second half, he came in and immediately knocked down a tough step-back three. He got away with a track down block that was a goaltend. Maybe that will make up a little for the cheap whistles he picked up. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 1-2 shooting (1-1 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 7 minutes. He was a +9.

Cook -- -- Garbage time run. The Stats: He missed one shot in 2 minutes. He was a +4.

Dudley -- -- Garbage time run. The Stats: He had 3 boards in 2 minutes. He was a +4.

McKinnie -- -- He banked in a three on his only attempt in garbage time. The Stats: He had 3 points on 2-2 shooting from three in 2 minutes. He was a +4.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: Early in the fourth, the Lakers were playing sluggish ball. LeBron wasn’t engaged and didn’t seem to really respect the Mavs. Once Vogel sat him, the Lakers cruised and finished by scoring 39 in the fourth.

Key Substitution: Harrell was the best bench player. I couldn’t wait until he entered the game. He came in with 5 minutes left in the third and scored 17 points in the next 17 minutes. The team was doing fine with Gasol out there. It wasn’t great, just serviceable. (I still think it looks best when Gasol gets out on the perimeter and doubles aggressively, then we recover around that.) But Trezz brings the energy and effort that we kind of lack with some of our old legs right now. LeBron is short cutting defensive rotations and Gasol is slow to get where he needs to. That combo allows teams too much space at times. It also just feels like we use Gasol wrong. When you have Boban in, that’s probably when you need to go with your big body. And/or bring in Schroder to use speed against a slow-footed big like that. Harrell was able to work that out and in the fourth. When Vogel sat LeBron in the fourth, we were at a -4. We were a +13 after he sat.

Key Stat: Focusing on that three shooting and fastbreak numbers again. Tonight, we shot 19-39 from three, 48.7%. Any game we do something like that last year, it was a W. The Lakers won the break 20-17, getting up and down the court a little more than we’ve seen this season. Those two areas clicking is a deadly combo.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject:

First? Thanks DB for working on Christmas
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject:

I feel like we may need to tinker with line up this season. Maybe trade deadline deal involving kuz. Looks like nets may be better than advertised
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. And Merry Christmas! That goes to all LG.

Good to see the Lakers come alive tonight. Still some things to work on, but that's a lot of firepower out there!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for working on Christmas

Hopefully they will integrate Gasol into the offense where he becomes a threat where opposing teams will have to react to him.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Thanks DB. And Merry Christmas! That goes to all LG.

Good to see the Lakers come alive tonight. Still some things to work on, but that's a lot of firepower out there!

Schroder is lightning quick - that will pay dividends as the season goes along. We appreciate your hard work, DB.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Another great write up DB.

Fun game to watch as we saw the Lakers just as a group impose their will offensively. What was fascinating to me is the fact last year we pretty much needed 50 combined from AD and LBJ, and after that it was anyone's guess what would happen with who would step up and score. In tonight's game you saw not only AD/LBJ do that, but then Trez/DS combine for 40. That's just nuts.

Gasol continues to concern me - teams seem to like running guys right AT him, with some decent success. The defense also, as a whole, needs to improve.

With that said, it is still early and the guys are feeling each other out. I will admit I really like Trez down there, dude just goes at it.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Thanks for working on Christmas

Hopefully they will integrate Gasol into the offense where he becomes a threat where opposing teams will have to react to him.

It was better tonight. At the very least he stayed out of the way or at least saw how action was going down and could occupy his man or screen him. There was a play where he sealed in the paint and KCP hit that floater over him. Also another with Schroder coming down the lane where he sealed his man deep. We saw him ignite more breakaways with quick passes off of boards. Not just long outlets but quickly finding anyone after he got the board. We had a number of those 7 seconds or less type scores off his boards early on. So little things in the mix that are helpful right now on O even if we aren’t fully integrating other parts yet.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

Gasol continues to concern me - teams seem to like running guys right AT him, with some decent success. The defense also, as a whole, needs to improve.

With that said, it is still early and the guys are feeling each other out. I will admit I really like Trez down there, dude just goes at it.

He was better tonight on the two-man D. Got out higher a lot instead of only in drop coverage. I worry about LeBron/Gasol early in the season. LeBron isn’t always rotating like he should and Gasol has one chance to recover to a man. If LeBron isn’t where he’s supposed to be then we end up with two guys on the same man and someone open. Things like that. They will both pick things up in time.

The part where I think everyone sees is an issue is he just can’t effectively challenge shots in certain situations. But other parts did get better tonight.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB,

Working OT!

Lakers need to do a better job of locking in defensively, gang-rebounding, and looking to get out on the break as often as possible with Schroder's speed.

I think Gasol in the starting lineup slows this team down. That might have to change. The Lakers are still finding their way which is going to take some time.
They just need to keep on winning while they are trying to all get up to speed.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks for thinking of us on Christmas DB. Great write up.

This team looks good and they aren't even firing on all cylinders yet. This is going to be a fun, but strange, season.
Ryan1973
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject:

Harrell needs to be starting over Gasol.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject:

Some team comparisons:

FG - Lakers
Lakers shot 56.4% from Field
Mavs shot 49..4%

Points in the Paint - Mavs +2
Lakers scored 52 in the paint
Lakers allowed 54 in the paint

3 pointers - Lakers + 18
Lakers 19-39 from 3
Mavs 13-32 from 3

Rebounds - Lakers + 26
Lakers 53
Mavs 27

Fastbreak points - Lakers +3
Lakers 20
Mavs 17

Assists - Lakers + 13
Lakers 33
Mavs 20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject:

What the numbers say -

Lakers dominated the glass. Lakers shot the 3 very well, and with the high assist numbers, there were a lot of kick outs and ball movement. The Lakers were able to reincorporate some pace into their offense. The only stat that stood out was losing the points in the battle -2. I think this was due to us having our 3 ball going. But more concerning to me is that we are giving up that many points in the paint. Our offense ran very well. It was our defense, still seems we are allowing too many points in the paint.

How many blocks are we getting - not many right? That is leading to maybe the PITP numbers being even. This was an area we typically dominated last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject:

Eye assessment on some things:

Trez - Great post game. Nice to have a guy not called AD or Bron to simply throw the ball into and let him go to work. We have a borderline/fringe all-star here when it comes to this. The post game is not valued around the league anymore, but we are one of the few teams that still does. I think years ago, Trez would have been a more valued player than he is today, because of his ability to work the ball inside. The AD-Trez-Bron chemistry, is right now, at initial stages > AD/Bron with Gasol. On the offense glass, Trez is a load you have to just keep dealing with. Issues here are defensive size. Teams are already showing their playbook is to try and be bigger and Trez in the paint,

Schroder - Gets to the basket at will, respectable shooter. Really pesky defender capable to switch onto multiple players and challenge them defensively. When we signed him, I said he was Rondo scoring/D sometimes - only all the time, What you sometimes got from Rondo in terms of scoring/D/ attack you get from Schroder as a majority. Issue here is only decision making. Really poor passing angles and decisions. Against elite playoff defenses, I don't think we trust Dennis with the ball, we have to rely on Bron.

AD - Man it's just amazing how great it is to have a player who is equally dominant inside as he is from outside. The 3 ball going, just makes him the best player in the league from his position, by far. It is not even close in my book at his position, he is the best. The one concern I have with AD is defense. I know he was aiming for DPOTY last year. Not sure if this is a goal this year. He is not challenging shots the same way, nor are we blocking shots at the rim. AD needs to lead the charge in this, he is our best rim protection defensive big by far, something last year, we could have said sometimes was not the case (as he had a lot of help in rim protection).

Bron - Still looks like he is not even close to peak form, the type of form he finished the postseason with. But he looked a little more comfortable in this one.

Some other things I noticed:

Great move in Bron going out early coming back with the 2nd unit. This is what we will need with Rondo gone. This also allows Bron to read the opposing team's defense early, let Dennis settle in, and then when Bron goes for a rest, Dennis cranks up the aggression. Then when Dennis sits, Bron comes back in, rested, and ready to take over.

The Trez/Morris/Bron and 2 guard lineup was effective.
The Gasol/AD 2nd unit was not effective.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject:

It's early, only 2 games in, but the defensive ratings of some our starters are awful.

Gasol 126
AD 125
Dennis 122
KCP 119

Others with poor ratings

Wesley Matthews 127

Guys who have good/solid D ratings who played important minutes:

Alex 106
Trez 105
Lebron 104
Kuz 101
Kieff 86
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB! It was a very good win for a team that's only scratching the surface.
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's early, only 2 games in, but the defensive ratings of some our starters are awful.

Gasol 126
AD 125
Dennis 122
KCP 119

Others with poor ratings

Wesley Matthews 127

Alex 106
Trez 105
Lebron 104
Kuz 101
Kieff 86

Schroeder being up there, does not pass the eye ball test to me.
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Gasol 126
AD 125
Dennis 122
KCP 119

Others with poor ratings

Wesley Matthews 127

Alex 106
Trez 105
Lebron 104
Kuz 101
Kieff 86

Schroeder being up there, does not pass the eye ball test to me.

Yes I agree he has been looking pretty solid on D.
Could be the small sample size and also having majority of his minutes with AD/Gasol. AD/Gasol so far have not been effective on D.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject:

Trez should start. He and Dennis run the pick and roll two man game on one side of the court. When a double team comes, rotate the ball to the other side with KCP, AD and LBJ to run a triangle set.
Dmagic
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

these early games are all about acclimating the new guys and also working players like gasol and lebron and everyone into game shape. working out all the little pressures and getting used to everyone. everybody being nice still not about sitting and starting certain players quite yet. just my 2 cents. and lebron was clowning for certain periods last night it seemed he had me dead at one stretch where he hit a three in between two hilarious plays
so its hard to really judge the new guys when the whole focus is on them anyway not particularly even winning. which luckily they are doing but all the same no pressure to win atm
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB !!!

Always appreciate reading your recap...
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The AD-Trez-Bron chemistry, is right now, at initial stages > AD/Bron with Gasol
It should be noted that Trez's game is based on his motor, while Gasol is based on basketball IQ. With Bron and Gasol among the oldest and having well-deserved reputations - along with this being a very different type of season, having an actual big man to work/initiate the offense will become invaluable during the playoffs against centers such as The Joker, Embiid, Gobert and DeAndre (if they meet in the playoffs).

Once the team's defense has become adjusted to funneling to certain areas of the paint, Gasol will morph into a better defensive player. With JaVale and Howard's athletic abilities, they relied more on their athletic abilities

If Gasol becomes more involved with the offense, we could make teams adjust to us
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

[quote="wolfpaclaker"][quote="Al13"]
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Gasol 126
AD 125
Dennis 122
KCP 119
Early stats can be deceiving since we are talking about players that have a very good reputation about playing defense
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: