THT vs Lamelo
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: THT vs Lamelo

Who do you think is better now THT or Lamelo Ball?

Also who do you thin has better upside or ceiling?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject:

I'm not prepared to say much of anything about Ball's level of play at this point. He's hitting the NBA raw, possibly moreso than any other player since the league quit drafting high schoolers. He didn't even get summer league games or a full preseason. I guess you would have to say that THT is better right now, but I'm not comfortable with that assessment because we know so little about Ball.

As for upside or ceiling, the answer is really the same. Ball was perceived by a lot of draft evaluators (but not all) as having a really high ceiling. But this was based on sketchy evidence -- a few games in Australia, a few games for that private high school, etc. After Lonzo, you have to be wary of the hype machine. Lonzo may turn out to be a good player, and in fact you may rate him as a good player right now. But the hype machine told us that his ceiling was a lot higher than it now appears to be.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Lamelo ceiling is white chocolate

Tht ceiling is Mitch richmond
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Lamelo a passing savant

THT is a scoring savant
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

LaMelo's ceiling is higher than Jason Williams. White chocolate was only 6'1". Lamelo is 6'8".
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Lamelo a passing savant

THT is a scoring savant

Lamelo is also a decent scorer too imo, and he is taking fewer shots to appease the scrubs currently starting ahead of him (and his dumbass coach). With that said, THT is clearly better (right now), but Lamelo has a more than decent shot of surpassing him as a player given his size and intangibles. Lamelo's defense has not been as bad as advertised from what i've seen (outside of a couple plays where he got lost af).
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

Waiting for the THT vs Kobe thread.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
After Lonzo, you have to be wary of the hype machine. Lonzo may turn out to be a good player, and in fact you may rate him as a good player right now. But the hype machine told us that his ceiling was a lot higher than it now appears to be.

Earv: "Don't break all my records, ah hah hah hah hah hah!1...Leave some of my records up!, ah hah hah hah hah hah hah!!!"

Lonzo: (crickets chirping) blank expression
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

LaMelo's ceiling is higher than Jason Williams. White chocolate was only 6'1". Lamelo is 6'8".

Their games are identical
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Lamelo a passing savant

THT is a scoring savant

I think it’s a bit early to call either savants at anything

Doncic is a savant
Lebron is a savant
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject:

THT'S dad isn't ranting on the news all the time; that
most be a positive.....
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

When one guy is 7 inches taller that pretty much kills any way for them to be identical imo. Lamelo is a great rebounder for a pg which adds an entire other element to his game JW couldn't dream of having. His offensive potential completely blows away JW as well who was a pretty mediocre at best scoring guard. No doubt JW was a wizard with some of his dribbling skills but i'm not seeing this identical comparison at all.

LaMelo is def. still a big question mark but his ceiling is much, much higher then JW.

Last edited by hype on Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Lamelo is clearly better than Lonzo

Good for Charlotte that their gamble paid off; helps offset that Hayward contract.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject:

I'd take Lamelo right now.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject:

Outside of Lakers land, I do not think anyone would take THT over LaMelo,

THT has talent, but as soon as RS defenses kicked in and the games mattered, his offense has become much harder to come by, and he is even out of the rotation. I think we have legit reason to be excited, but need to temper expectations on him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

When one guy is 7 inches taller that pretty much kills any way for them to be identical imo. Lamelo is a great rebounder for a pg which adds an entire other element to his game JW couldn't dream of having. His offensive potential completely blows away JW as well who was a pretty mediocre at best scoring guard. No doubt JW was a wizard with some of his dribbling skills but i'm not seeing this identical comparison at all.

LaMelo is def. still a big question mark but his ceiling is much, much higher then JW.

Disagree. Size doesn't always dictate talent/style of play.

LaMelo is 100% Jason Williams right down to the bad/inconsistent footwork on his jumper, lofting for 3s, being a relatively soft finisher near the rim and opting for a floater game.

Equally bad defenders too.

Equally amazing feel for the game.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:

I agree. Williams would be down the list of players I would compare to Lamelo. However, I haven't seen much of Lamelo in the NBA, so I'll reconsider when I get a chance to watch him for an extended stretch as opposed to just seeing highlights.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

THT > Michael Jordan
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Similar games + clearly superior physical profile = a higher ceiling for Lamelo than White Chocolate.
pointfour
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
hype wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

LaMelo is 100% Jason Williams right down to the bad/inconsistent footwork on his jumper, lofting for 3s, being a relatively soft finisher near the rim and opting for a floater game.

I was a huge fan of JW growing up, so the comparison intrigues me. Just the wizardry of his ball handling/ playmaking.

Would you articulate what you see in terms of "feel" in regards to lamelo/ JW? I hear the term often in scouting reports, but not sure if entirely comprehend it.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject:

I like THT a lot, but the hype is getting a bit out of hand.

Would take LaMelo over THT without thinking twice and its honestly not even close.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
hype wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

No way. At the end of the day a 6'8 PG who's indifferent to defense will be a better defender than a 6'1 PG who's indifferent to defense.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
hype wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Halflife wrote:

In this case it absolutely does though and is more often then not a positive to be 7 inches taller. JW was not a rebounder in the slightest as he was a career 2.1reb a game while Lamelo in only playing 20mpg and is at 5 already. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him be in the 5-6 range quite easily from what i've seen and that would be well over double JW's career average. A bit of a difference there.

Also Jason Williams efficiency was atrocious since he was mostly all flash.. He was a career 32% from 3 and just under 40% overall. To say that's Lamelos ceiling is pretty laughable honestly. Who knows how good he will be and I haven't seen enough of him to say anything definite but i'd be surprised if it ends up being that rough.

Without JW's incredible dribbling and nice lobs nobody would even know who he was imo. I loved watching him growing up because of it but as a complete basketball player I just feel it's a bit of a lazy comparison especially as Lamelo's ceiling. Lamelo is still very raw and only 4-5 games into his rookie year and already looks to be the clear superior player (outside of handles).

Here's JW's rookie year at 23 while Lamelo is still only 19...

31% from 3 (then went to 29% in his second year) 37% overall 78%ft 3.1rebounds 6ast 12.8ppg in 36mpg.

If Lamelo is putting up those numbers in 4 years he's going to be considered a complete bust.

I agree with the feel of the game aspect as far as passing but I think Lamelo can become a much more intelligent floor general and not try to make highlight passes/plays all the time.

Defense is a huge question mark as JW was mostly bad his entire career and Lamelo hasn't impressed me at all from the little i've seen him this far but again he's only 19 and has the potential to be better then JW quite easily but only time will tell for this aspect of his game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: