Lakers Planning To Visit White House
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Lakers Planning To Visit White House

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers are looking forward to reconvening a post-championship tradition of visiting the White House at some point during the 2020-21 season after President-elect Joe Biden is sworn into office as the 46th President of the United States, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The ceremonial transferring of power from President Donald Trump to Biden takes place on Jan. 20.

Members of the franchise — from players to management — see it as a pleasure and an honor to have their accomplishment recognized by the incoming president, but reconvening the tradition this season shall depend on logistics, sources said.

Waiting to see if Biden’s schedule will be freed up for the lone occasion the Lakers travel to take on the Washington Wizards, and gathering information on what the White House COVID-19 protocols will look like are all determining factors, sources said.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Now that it’ll be appropriate, it would also be nice to give the Warriors and Raptors an opportunity to visit if they wish.
LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Cool
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

key is AFTER
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

Very true. Our POTUS has more pressing matters right now like awarding medals to golfers and leading an insurrection. Let the man do his job. He got no time for basketball.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

Very true. Our POTUS has more pressing matters right now like awarding medals to golfers and leading an insurrection. Let the man do his job. He got no time for basketball.

mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

I think Biden will honor the lakers for sure. He will make time if needed. At the end of the day, the morethanavote movement initiated by Lebron helped him win the White House, and Lebron played for the lakers.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

I'm sure his Twitter ban has left him with a lot of free time on his hands.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

Yep...I agree 100%!

Nothing like celebrating a fascist, communist act here in a country where free speech used to be protected.

Funny thing about our Founding Fathers... how they thought that free speech was so damn important that they made it the 1st Amendment.

But hey... people don't like Trump... so the 1st Amendment is an ok sacrifice. Brilliant.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

Quote:
I’ve got my country’s 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I’m swamped!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
kwase wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

Yep...I agree 100%!

Nothing like celebrating a fascist, communist act here in a country where free speech used to be protected.

Funny thing about our Founding Fathers... how they thought that free speech was so damn important that they made it the 1st Amendment.

But hey... people don't like Trump... so the 1st Amendment is an ok sacrifice. Brilliant.

First amendment doesn’t cover him from inciting violence.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
kwase wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

Yep...I agree 100%!

What time was your flight out of Dulles last night?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

Quote:
I’ve got my country’s 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I’m swamped!

I was thinking of the same line when I read it!!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
M2K wrote:
kwase wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

Yep...I agree 100%!

But he is a fascist with hurt feelings so democracy is an ok sacrifice. Brilliant.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Now that it’ll be appropriate, it would also be nice to give the Warriors and Raptors an opportunity to visit if they wish.

I agree, hopefully there will come a time not long from now where the protocols are gone along with Covid itself, post-vaccinations.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject:

By the way social media banning Trump from their platforms have nothing to do with free speech. Free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

Free speech is freedom from Government censorship. Is Twitter the Government? No. Then it's not a freedom of speech issue.

Twitter owns their platform though and they make the rules dictating what is and isn't allowed on that platform. Nothing wrong with this.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
By the way social media banning Trump from their platforms have nothing to do with free speech. Free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

Free speech is freedom from Government censorship. Is Twitter the Government? No. Then it's not a freedom of speech issue.

Twitter owns their platform though and they make the rules dictating what is and isn't allowed on that platform. Nothing wrong with this.

Yep. And based on the events of yesterday I'm glad Twitter put a stop to it.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
drae wrote:

Yep. And based on the events of yesterday I'm glad Twitter put a stop to it.

Well he's apparently unbanned now but I wouldn't mind if Twitter permanently bans Trump on Jan 20th. He's had far more leniency than every other normal citizen just because he enjoys extraordinary protections as the President. Once he's no longer the President though he should really be banned otherwise it's just a case of double standards really.

People have been banned from Twitter for far more minor things than Trump has done.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
M2K wrote:
kwase wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

Yep...I agree 100%!

Besides that, what does free speech have to do with being banned on twitter? Someoone acts like a (bleep) on LG and they'd get banned. First amendment doesn't mean sh1t in these instances.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

Blah, blah, blah... laws have always dragged behind reality.

If social media platforms receive protections because they say they are not partisan and don't censor speech... but anyone with a brain and a calculator can count up and compare the amount of censorship, for the exact same content, that is imposed against Republicans vs Democrats and see there is a tremendous censorship bias.

You can't have it both ways... you can't receive protection by claiming you are providing a public square forum.... and then go about censoring speech for those you disagree with.
Bravefellow
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Some people only know the first part... nay, the first few words of the... explanation of the First Amendment.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
drae wrote:

If social media platforms receive protections because they say they are not partisan and don't censor speech... but anyone with a brain and a calculator can count up and compare the amount of censorship, for the exact same content, that is imposed against Republicans vs Democrats and see there is a tremendous censorship bias.

You can't have it both ways... you can't receive protection by claiming you are providing a public square forum.... and then go about censoring speech for those you disagree with.

Removing those protections will mean social media censor more, not less.

People really have no clue, don't they?

With no protections Trump would have been banned a long time ago.

Last edited by drae on Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
M2K wrote:
kwase wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
key is AFTER

Yep...I agree 100%!

LOL... you right. The problem is, these platforms have allowed the incitement of violence from the left for the past 10 months (BLM, ANTIFA) and that was ok to incite... but now... all of a sudden... Trump is condemned for inciting violence.

I wonder... how many police cars were turned over and burned, how many buildings burned to the ground, how much looting was there, etc... where was the outcries of incitement by the left as this was going on for months?

Truth is... as soon as the left condoned the violence over the past 10 months... they moved violence into the "norm" category... so don't be surprised it the new norm comes back and bites the other side in the arse when the pendulum swings back.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
M2K wrote:
drae wrote:

LOL... exactly my point. The social media is already practicing censorship so why not call them out and remove the protections since they are already doing it.

There is a good reason why social media giants are fighting for the 230 protections.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
drae wrote:
M2K wrote:
drae wrote:

LOL... exactly my point. The social media is already practicing censorship so why not call them out and remove the protections since they are already doing it.

There is a good reason why social media giants are fighting for the 230 protections.

I don't mind if they do it. I just think Trump calling for it is stupid because the first thing that will happen is Trump will be kicked off and I very much doubt he wants that when he needs a platform for his 2024 run. He can use an alternate platform sure, nothing has anywhere near the outreach of Twitter though.

Trump's been in his feelings for months
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: