Can the Lakers compete with BKN in the Finals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leif
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
drae wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
As a surprise to no one, KD going for a 50 piece in his first game with Harden. If they can pick up some defense, they'll be really solid. I miss the days of just worrying about the Clippers.

And they're squeaking out a win against the Magic.

Kyrie slots back in which makes their defense more of a turnstile.

I'm watching this game and feel they'll have problems come playoff time. There is zero interior defense and people will pick on Kyrie all day on the perimeter.

Yeah, KD and Harden shooting above 65 % and having 72pts and his greater ad is what 7/8 points,

It’s fun when you play the Orlando Magic.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Unless Kyrie is a complete moron, he must see his current redundancy on the roster. But maybe in his mind, he thinks he's an elite defender.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

KD and Harden needed to both play 40 minutes to put away the Magic

DAj is barely a shell of himself that interior defense is food
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject:

lordtrapula wrote:

Yeah and they have Rondo esque obsession with him. Even if they get a better center he won't play over DAJ
Leif
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

lordtrapula wrote:

Harden tried to lob it to him three times. He must have thought it was still the lob city DAJ.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
lordtrapula wrote:

Yeah and they have Rondo esque obsession with him. Even if they get a better center he won't play over DAJ

It's worse cause I think Rondo at least had the leadership and intangibles to make guys believe in him, plus him actually trying in the playoffs.

DAJ is there literally because he goes to the same church as KD and Kyrie so he gets the starting spot plus $10 million a year lol

Last edited by lordtrapula on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Brooklyn would be crazy to trade Kyrie if the dude is willing to play. That amount of talent is enough to easily make it to the Finals, and they'd have a great shot against us too.

I don't think people are giving enough credit to just how insane of a big 3 this is. And if you think they can't go out there and find some vet min Dwight Howard types, well then I think you are underestimating them.

LeBron/AD is not unlike Kobe/Gasol, and we saw how much trouble Boston gave those teams. This will be a similar if not greater challenge if we meet them in the Finals.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Brooklyn would be crazy to trade Kyrie if the dude is willing to play. That amount of talent is enough to easily make it to the Finals, and they'd have a great shot against us too.

I don't think people are giving enough credit to just how insane of a big 3 this is. And if you think they can't go out there and find some vet min Dwight Howard types, well then I think you are underestimating them.

LeBron/AD is not unlike Kobe/Gasol, and we saw how much trouble Boston gave those teams. This will be a similar if not greater challenge if we meet them in the Finals.

That Boston team was a historic defensive team and also Bron and AD are a greater duo than Kobe/Gasol
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

Couldn't disagree more on all those points.. Boston was one of the greatest defensive teams ever and had elite individual defenders to throw at our best players. Outside of KD, Nets have absolutely none of that.. at all.

Kyrie and Harden are extremely redundant.. Kyrie cant just keep hawking the ball like he did before Harden came and Harden cant do it like he did tonight when Kyrie returns. They can absolutely score points but in no way should they even be remotely compared to that Celtics team we faced. Also, AD is another entire level of a player then Pau ever was as much as I love him.

I dont think anyone is saying we should completely dismiss the Nets as they are still a dangerous team but they should be scared of us not vice versa for at least this season.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Kyrie, Durant and Harden can both go off for 40 when need be.

They scored 122 points without their 3rd scorer. So offensively we already know what they'll be.

If they don't make any further moves then they will mostly be trying to beat teams more so with their offense than their defense.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

The ceiling for this year's nets is probably the 2017 Cavs, maybe even better.

Historic offense but not so great defense. They can score with their eyes close but I get a feeling games with them will always be close cause of their defense.

Magic were in it today and right there until the final 2 minutes. The problem was they were hunting for 3's instead of just taking it inside every time. ORL is one of the worst offenses of the league for the past couple of years and still dropped 115 on them.

Last edited by lordtrapula on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm skeptical they can even come out of the East THIS season. Maybe next year if they can shore up the bench and add some defensive support both inside and on the perimeter. And there's no need for us to be worried just yet anyway, because we'll have challengers in the West, too.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject:

lordtrapula wrote:
The ceiling for this year's nets is probably the 2017 Cavs, maybe even better.

Historic offense but not so great defense. They can score with their eyes close but I get a feeling games with them will always be close cause of their defense.

Magic were in it today and right there until the final 2 minutes. The problem was they were hunting for 3's instead of just taking it inside every time. ORL is one of the worst offenses of the league for the past couple of years and still dropped 115 on them.

Good call. I was thinking a more offensive minded version of the Miami Big 3 as their ceiling. Less talented at the top but they a have a bit more pieces to retool.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject:

No one is going to talk about Kyrie completely losing his mind and literally being off the reservation?

They can’t beat us without prime and engaged Kyrie and then all 3 sacrificing to play cohesive team basketball. We have the league’s number 1 defense and will get better.

I’m not worried at all.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

#TradeKyrie is trending after the first game of Harden/KD. lol brutal
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Really think it'll come down to coaching and health if we run into them in the finals.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Really think it'll come down to coaching and health if we run into them in the finals.

That’s another thing, their coach is a rookie - and sure they have Dantoni on the bench but he hasn’t exactly been a playoff wonder either.

I think you’ll see Kyrie play nice for awhile and be passive/play hard defense when he first gets back but eventually you are who you are. Wait for them to face some adversity and then we’ll see.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

I think even if the Nets experiment end up going well, there are ways to beat them in the playoffs.

One way I am thinking is you limit one of their big 3 and their role players that could be enough.

Because of their bad defense, they may have to score 115 to 120 points to win games.

So say 2 of the big 3 score 70 to 80 points and you limited the third to 20 points.

That is about 90 to 100 points and now you just have to limit the rest of the team to 20 to 30 points which is possible for a great defensive team and the lack of depth of the Nets
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Statistically Gasol is one of the best defensive bigs in the league, so he'd have to go in the category. It's not flashy or anything but it works and gets the job done.

Him doing all that last year without a defender like Anthony Davis beside him, makes it mesh all the better this year that he does.

Objectively, a number of those stats support that position, e.g. (and I'm assuming you are referring to these) his rebound percentage and the defensive rating is actually notable...but it's strange watching what he does at times when playing and how teams attack him (and he is slow of foot). I could not find a site with PER GAME defensive rating (meaning what his rating was for that particular game), etc for a player, but I recall early in this early season, teams were literally going right at him with pretty good success. I have noticed of late the Lakers approach these situations differently, including Gasol, and improved.

I think some of my personal concern may be alleviated the next coming weeks to see how they collectively perform (with him in) versus some of the better clubs in the East. When the season began I think a number of us were like "uhh, maybe we do need a better big"...but the last few games those concerns were put aside.

And oh, yea, love the fact we have a big guy who is not bad at drilling 3's.

Last edited by DrDent on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject:

So I saw that they found a mass in Lavert’s kidney... Should have that voided the trade? Not sure that’s passing physical right?
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
hype wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
drae wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
As a surprise to no one, KD going for a 50 piece in his first game with Harden. If they can pick up some defense, they'll be really solid. I miss the days of just worrying about the Clippers.

I'm watching this game and feel they'll have problems come playoff time. There is zero interior defense and people will pick on Kyrie all day on the perimeter.

I wonder how many Nets fans are wanting to trade Kyrie for pieces.

Nearly every single one probably but who is touching him especially for any kind of actual value? Maybe if he comes back and plays great with no more distractions all season they can do something in the off season but I just don't see how/why any team would entertain trading for Kyrie right now.

They would instantly be very scary though if they did pull it off and get some quality depth pieces back. I think Kyrie actually hurts Harden's game severely and vice versa. Tonight Harden got to run point and have the ball in his hands pretty much the entire time which when he has Durant as his running mate that is going to be potent nightly. I just don't see him or Kyrie happily playing a Ray Allen role once he returns and Harden is a vastly different player off the ball as we all know.

And consider that the Nets have Dinwiddie coming back next year as backup PG for Harden. Some people might try and trade Dinwiddie but my God, 3 pieces for Kyrie and Brooklyn have themselves a SQUAD

Maybe they preferred 3 superstar because even if one of them goes down to an injury or any headcase reasons, rhey will still have 2

But you are right, if they trade Kyrie for solid 2 way players, they will definitely becomes a favorite.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
drae wrote:
hype wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
drae wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

I wonder how many Nets fans are wanting to trade Kyrie for pieces.

Nearly every single one probably but who is touching him especially for any kind of actual value? Maybe if he comes back and plays great with no more distractions all season they can do something in the off season but I just don't see how/why any team would entertain trading for Kyrie right now.

They would instantly be very scary though if they did pull it off and get some quality depth pieces back. I think Kyrie actually hurts Harden's game severely and vice versa. Tonight Harden got to run point and have the ball in his hands pretty much the entire time which when he has Durant as his running mate that is going to be potent nightly. I just don't see him or Kyrie happily playing a Ray Allen role once he returns and Harden is a vastly different player off the ball as we all know.

And consider that the Nets have Dinwiddie coming back next year as backup PG for Harden. Some people might try and trade Dinwiddie but my God, 3 pieces for Kyrie and Brooklyn have themselves a SQUAD

Maybe they preferred 3 superstar because even if one of them goes down to an injury or any headcase reasons, rhey will still have 2

But you are right, if they trade Kyrie for solid 2 way players, they will definitely becomes a favorite.

As long KD is the one that don’t get hurt.
pokoy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
So I saw that they found a mass in Lavert’s kidney... Should have that voided the trade? Not sure that’s passing physical right?

That trade might have actually saved Levert’s life then? He wouldn’t have had that MRI had it not been for that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Vucevic got a field day with the Nets defense, what more Gasol, Harrell, AD and Bron plus the slashers DS and THT. How can the Nets stop those guys. Bringing Kyrie back will just make that defense weaker soecially at the top of the key, Kyrie will just let slashers like DS and THT pass him at the same time taking away the ball from harden making him half efficient.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

Yeah, those minimum contract Dwight Howard types are all over the place. Probably why we got our Dwight replacement, right?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 12 of 73
Jump to: