Replace Mychal Thompson as radio commentator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Replace Mychal Thompson as radio commentator

Michal Thompson twice put last night's game against the Warriors in the refrigerator. HE SAID HE WASN'T WORRIED AT ALL OF THE WARRIORS COMING BACK AND WINNING. Then John Ireland scolded him on the second time he put it in the refrigerator telling him to stop saying that. He said you shouldn't say that as if to allude to that you don't want to mislead people listening on the radio. Well, the rest is history lol. By the way, Lakers deserved to lose last night. Overconfidence and pride led to their demise not to mention the Warriors and Curry shot the lights out 2nd half.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Mychal isn’t great, but I think replacing Stu is more urgent at this point.
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:

I never get why folks don't like Stu Lance, because I love him. He gives very insightful color commentary, and is an all-around likeable and funny guy.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Mychal Thompson as radio commentator

phantasyman wrote:
Michal Thompson twice put last night's game against the Warriors in the refrigerator. HE SAID HE WASN'T WORRIED AT ALL OF THE WARRIORS COMING BACK AND WINNING. Then John Ireland scolded him on the second time he put it in the refrigerator telling him to stop saying that. He said you shouldn't say that as if to allude to that you don't want to mislead people listening on the radio. Well, the rest is history lol. By the way, Lakers deserved to lose last night. Overconfidence and pride led to their demise not to mention the Warriors and Curry shot the lights out 2nd half.

I think it’s the team’s fault for listening to the radio broadcast during the game. On top of getting overconfident from MT’s commentary, they probably weren’t able to hear all of Vogel’s commands from the sideline. Come on guys!
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:

Bingo!
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Richcbt wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

I never get why folks don't like Stu Lance, because I love him. He gives very insightful color commentary, and is an all-around likeable and funny guy.

Stu is grumpy and not likable at all lol.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject:

Richcbt wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

If you talk to fans of other teams who watch games on League Pass, Bill and Stu seem to be held in very high regard. They’re not homers (and there are some horribly biased announcing teams out there) and people enjoy the commentary. Stu does say a lot of the same things from game to game, though, so I’m guessing that people who hear him night after night might get tired of his schtick, but I enjoy it. It’s nostalgic for me since I grew up watching Chick and Stu on KCAL9, and I hope Stu keeps going as long as he wants.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject:

Richcbt wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Agreed. He's old school and tells it like it is.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
Richcbt wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Stu is grumpy and not likable at all lol.

Maybe I relate better cuz I'm a grumpy old man that will gladly tell annoying kids to get the (bleep) off my lawn.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject:

Stu always tries to diminish everything bill says. Am I the only one who notices this a lot?
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Mychal Thompson as radio commentator

phantasyman wrote:

He was jinxing us, hoping his son's team would win.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Stu also was partially responsible for ending Bill Sunderland's career. He also have beef with Joel Myers.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Mychal Thompson as radio commentator

phantasyman wrote:

Cancel culture!!1
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
Stu also was partially responsible for ending Bill Sunderland's career. He also have beef with Joel Myers.

Paul Sundy. That's odd because I had someone on YT call him Bill, too, recently. That's unless you're him. Bill must be coming from Billy Mac.

I thought they got along, what's the haps w/ them (reportedly)?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
Stu always tries to diminish everything bill says. Am I the only one who notices this a lot?

He's been doing that for the last 3 guys and many times w/ Chick. I go thru old games on the reg, I know it to be true cus I hear it. Chick is where he learned it from. Chick took a lot of Stu's innocent asides as if he was trying to correct him and he would reply in a snide way at times. Stu got that thru years of Chick:

EG: Listen to the very start of gameplay. Stu says somethin Chick thinks is daft and Stu mumbles, "it's still true pff hrm"

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Richcbt wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

If you talk to fans of other teams who watch games on League Pass, Bill and Stu seem to be held in very high regard. They’re not homers (and there are some horribly biased announcing teams out there) and people enjoy the commentary. Stu does say a lot of the same things from game to game, though, so I’m guessing that people who hear him night after night might get tired of his schtick, but I enjoy it. It’s nostalgic for me since I grew up watching Chick and Stu on KCAL9, and I hope Stu keeps going as long as he wants.

From this thread, I learned that Michal and Stu Lance and Joel Myers and Bill Sunderland are all this n that. Leave Michal, Lance, Myers and Bill alone!

Paul McDonald's is no Bill Sunberlind OR Stew Lanze OR Michal Townsend.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:

Richcbt wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Insightful is an overstatement when describing Stu Lance. I appreciate him because he remains our link to Chick Hearn. But insightful is something he is not.
Druggas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

I always felt that when Stu was regurgitating the same old slop, we lost a story or some insight that Chick could have imparted on us.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

He's been doing that for the last 3 guys and many times w/ Chick. I go thru old games on the reg, I know it to be true cus I hear it. Chick is where he learned it from. Chick took a lot of Stu's innocent asides as if he was trying to correct him and he would reply in a snide way at times. Stu got that thru years of Chick:

EG: Listen to the very start of gameplay. Stu says somethin Chick thinks is daft and Stu mumbles, "it's still true pff hrm"

Yep, I remember that easily about Chick. He was brutally honest, sometimes a bit harshly. Being his sidekick was not for the weak or sensitive. I remember when Stu came on board, and have no doubt some of Chick's mannerisms filtered down to him.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Mychal Thompson as radio commentator

non-player zealot wrote:
phantasyman wrote:

Cancel culture!!1

There are very few things more annoying than young people and their internet cancel culture lol.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
Richcbt wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Insightful is an overstatement when describing Stu Lance. I appreciate him because he remains our link to Chick Hearn. But insightful is something he is not.

I don't know, man. I feel like I've learned things while listening to him for going on 25 years.

- When guarding the inbound passer under the basket, never guard him straight up...keep your back to the basket protecting against an easy layup

- Never jump to pass

- Always shorten your dribble when driving through traffic

- And of course 'a mad player is a bad player'

These are just off the top of my head but there are definitely many more insightful things he's said.

Though I'll admit, my daily watching has gone down since I moved out of state a few years back so maybe he's gone downhill since the 90's/early 2000's.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

Druggas wrote:
I always felt that when Stu was regurgitating the same old slop, we lost a story or some insight that Chick could have imparted on us.

Stu took the "I'm not a homer" side from Chick.

But missed out on the insight/storytelling/basketball knowledge that went along with it.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Mychal is harmless. He talks a little too much and says dumb things but I agree with posters who think Stu is worse.

God forbid a game goes into OT, Stu is ready to flip the tables. Stu gets to keep this job as long as he wants but he is not very good at it.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I like MT and John. Can’t wait until they take over the TV job.

MT said a lot of stupid things like the Warriors were going to be a dynasty for 8-10 years, but so did many people here on LG. I found it comical when Lebron beat them. And no, their 73-9 team could not defeat Showtime MT.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Billy Mac has grown on me. Wouldn’t care if we was replaced by Ireland, but I miss how he used to shout, “Larry Naaaaance!!!”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: