Which was better: last year’s team or this year’s team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Better team?
Last year’s team
33%
 33%  [ 17 ]
This year’s team
66%
 66%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 51

lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
Last year's team won it all. They are better and will continue to be better until this year's team repeats.

I agree with this.

Nobody talks about how great the 73-9 non-championship Warriors were. Last year they proved their abilities. This year they haven’t proved anything.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

losing to the heat would have been laughable lets say they lose (they wont) to the nets
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Definitely last years team. That team had a huge size advantage that was too much for the league. Kind of like the Bynum, Odom, and Gasol team from a decade ago.

It's going to take a Herculean effort from LB and AD to win it this year.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
Definitely last years team. That team had a huge size advantage that was too much for the league. Kind of like the Bynum, Odom, and Gasol team from a decade ago.

If that’s the case, then why did Dwight and McGee not really play big minutes in the playoffs?

Believe me, I am worried about our interior defense and I certainly don’t like what I’m seeing with the 2019-20 Clippers vibe to this team but tbh the Lakers won without using their twin towers too much.

It was AD or Kieff at the 5 for most of that run.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
buduan wrote:

If that’s the case, then why did Dwight and McGee not really play big minutes in the playoffs?

Believe me, I am worried about our interior defense and I certainly don’t like what I’m seeing with the 2019-20 Clippers vibe to this team but tbh the Lakers won without using their twin towers too much.

Howard played in 18 of the 21 playoff games averaging 15.8 minutes a game so he was used. Last year, we had playoff Rondo who was playing like an all-star coming off the bench. Lebron and AD got an extended 3 month rest so they were able to play at a high level for extended minutes. This year, there's no playoff Rondo and no extended rest for Lebron and AD so the rest of the team would have to actually contribute. We lost yesterday to a 4-10 team without AD so that's not a good sign at all.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Game 6 of the NBA Finals our starting lineup was

Lebron
AD
KCP
DG
AC

Our biggest 6th man contributor by far was Rajon Rondo.
Dwight played 1 minute. Javale 0.

They are fantastic for the regular season but we are too quick to forget that AD can protect the rim just as elite as those two when the games actually matter.

With all that said I’m still open to finding another defensive minded above the rim playing big to help with the load of these remaining 50+ games.

Last edited by KingKobe20 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Hate to say it, but this team is playing like it's bored. I thought bringing new blood would shake things up but the team as a whole kind of seems bored and waiting for the playoffs. Chief among the players is AD. Not sure what can wake this team up.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Not sure what can wake this team up.

The playoffs starting next week.

We just got done winning the Championship 3 months ago.
Definitely normal to be a little gassed mentally.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Not sure what can wake this team up.

The playoffs starting next week.

We just got done winning the Championship 3 months ago.
Definitely normal to be a little gassed mentally.

I think you'll see a woke team for the Celtics game. I think we will generally get up for the big matches (i.e. Bucks) but have many trap games like the Pistons, etc. That's when we need our bench to just be on fire and play hard. Kuz did that last night.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Game 6 of the NBA Finals our starting lineup was

Lebron
AD
KCP
DG
AC

Our biggest 6th man contributor by far was Rajon Rondo.
Dwight played 1 minute. Javale 0.

They are fantastic for the regular season but we are too quick to forget that AD can protect the rim just as elite as those two when the games actually matter.

With all that said I’m still open to finding another defensive minded above the rim playing big to help with the load of these remaining 50+ games.

This is exactly where I’m at.

It really depends on AD. If he’s willing to eat the minutes at the 5 full-time or close to it in the playoffs...then you add another Wing.

If AD wants someone to pick up 10-15 min at the 5 then you need another rim protector to mix and match with Gasol.

But last year’s championship was won because of the chemistry and how hard they played as a team and tbh while Dwight and Javale were key to the regular season, the Lakers didn’t particularly need them in the playoffs. An argument can be made for Dwight vs. Jokic but AD can handle Jokic and Jokic is slow enough for Gasol.

The interior defense is a problem, but in the playoffs they showed that it’s more due to effort and sharp rotations than having 2 big men out there.

If anything they miss Green for defense. Kuz sometimes shows help side defending like Green but he isn’t as consistent or at that level yet.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I remember when we were mired in a 4 game losing streak last year including a loss on christmas. People were talking about how we couldn't beat good teams, and weren't going to do anything.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Rondo was a better fit at pg than DS, running fast breaks, probing defenses to get others involved offensively, scoring inside and out, and seeing the floor. DS is primarily looking for his shot when he gets the ball. AD, Lebron, or Montrez are generally afterthoughts, and the rest might as well crash the boards or get back on D.

Last year’s AD was much better than this year. Lebron is having to do more because AD is doing less. AD frustratingly likes to post up his man 20 or more feet away but he lacks blinding foot speed, so that often turns into awkward jump shots that aren’t going in as often this year.

Danny Green contributed much more than Matthews has shown he can. Defensively he affected taller players’ shots in ways that Caruso, KCP, or Matthews can’t.

Montrez can score and do some things on both sides of the court, but against legit sized centers he’s overmatched coming off the bench, unlike D12.

Avery Bradley virtually single handedly locked up Doncic, and punked and shut Patrick Beverly up, something even Lebron couldn’t do. He also had a decent/effective shot.

I prefered Javale and D12’s lob dunks, inside finishes, rim runs, and many multiple block + intimidation games, over the few minutes Gasol spends on the court avoiding shooting, getting in foul trouble, and affecting defensive stat’s with very limited box score contributions.
Chick Hearn used to talk about former Lakers stiff Tom Abernathy saying “He doesn’t help you but he won’t hurt you. He plays with a lot of smarts.” That’s what Gasol looks like out there. How exciting. That’s why he’s not closing games while playing token minutes in each half.

Fewer fast breaks.

Those are just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Sums it up perfectly.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

Sums it up perfectly.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
buduan wrote:

Because teams not wanting to have to solve that big man problem went smaller so the Lakers would go smaller. Which played right into the Lakers strength.
Legit big men are going to be tough to stop this year. Look at what Embiid did earlier this week. Or what the scrub Plumlee did. I know AD was out, but do you think Plumlee would have done jack with DHoward and JM out there in his place?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject:

This question can be answered when the playoffs are over but not before and definitely not after 20 games.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
This question can be answered when the playoffs are over but not before and definitely not after 20 games.

I think it's especially evident when Coach Vogel plays more ++ lineups for longer minutes vs BOS compared to the other teams.

When they care, it's obvious who they want to win against. The rest of the time is hiding their cards while still being talented enough to beat teams like Milwaukee and lose to the 76ers by just 1 point.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

This year's team is deeper than last year's team. 10-11 deep. Vogel has a lot of tools in the toolbox. They are the best team on paper. The only thing that could beat them is fatigue from the quick turnaround between last season and this season. Only 71 days.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
buduan wrote:

Because teams not wanting to have to solve that big man problem went smaller so the Lakers would go smaller. Which played right into the Lakers strength.
Legit big men are going to be tough to stop this year. Look at what Embiid did earlier this week. Or what the scrub Plumlee did. I know AD was out, but do you think Plumlee would have done jack with DHoward and JM out there in his place?

The NBA has been going small for a few years now. Closing lineups don’t have a McGee, Howard, Plumlee, etc.

Plumlee took advantage of the Lakers not invested in the game. Look at what the Pistons did last night after playing their NBA Finals on Thursday.

I still think the Lakers need another rim protector, but that player will be a situational player. AD will ultimately play the 5 which is the Lakers advantage over the rest of the league.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject:

Last year's team had niche role players who did not need a lot of time to know their roles. Guys just knew what their role was right from the get go, as it was almost the same role they played elsewhere. Only Kuzma and Rondo were not on page with the rest of the team right away and it took Rondo some time, but he found his footing. Guys like Green, McGee, Bradley, Dwight, Kieff even. They are all low usage players around AD-Bron. We just had to wait for AD and Bron to keep figuring out how to run the offense to their advantage. By playoffs. Bron and AD knew how to maximize each other.

This year's team has a little different vibe in that it has more high usage players around AD-Bron than last years team. Those high usage players are in roles different from their previous teams. Dennis Schroder is an elite 6th man, but we use him as starting guard. He is often the guy that brings up the ball and initiates the offense, which is a role different to the aggressive scoring role he had in OKC last year. He is asked to be more athletic DFish on offense than he is to be what he was last year. He's a high usage player. Trez is also a high usage player, who wants the ball (and needs it to be effective) inside. Only he is quite small. So those easy obvious above the rim plays are not there, nor is he sealing position and getting obvious post entry. Giving the ball to Trez is like trusting a guy like Bron-AD. You're trusting his 1 on 1 skill in the post. Does a team with Anthony Davis and Bron, really instead trust their 3rd best player in isolations? I mean, AD and Bron, should get those isolations. So Trez has to pick up the scraps a bit, and get more dunks/layups off dribble penetration from ballhandling guards. But previoiusly, Trez was treated like a go to scorer on hiis teams.

The O and D ratings speak for themselves IMO. Lakers are #1 ranked D team.

104.8 #1 D rating. Last year 106 D rating #3.
112.6 #8 O rating. Last year 112 O rating #11.

The talent is more on offense by a lot. The defense seems to have caught up and been the same. We have shown just as much shut down ability. We are the #1 rated team on D. Fans really concerned about our defense, yet we have shown elite D against Boston and Milwaukee on the road. And other teams. This was a huge concern of mine early on, as our D looked pretty weak the first few games of the season.

We simply now have to wait and see if we can progress and get on another level when its playoffs. That is what happened last year. For whatever reason, when playoffs began, Lakers upped their level a lot. I think it has a lot to do with AD playing more 5, and Bron shifting into another gear in the playoffs. What are goal right now should be to find as many good lineups that work around Trez, and Dennis, as possible. Our biggest advantage vs last year is still not being maximized on offense. Being the 8th ranked team on offense, and Dennis/Trez have not really been what they are capable of, yet. If we figure that out, league's in trouble, because we will have AD/Bron advantage AND the advantage of Trez/Dennis vs bench units AND elite D. That's gonna be very tough to stop, even for teams like Clips, Jazz, Sixers etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: