Anyone think Ronny could be a starter?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Anyone think Ronny could be a starter?

This is a question for the really attentive. I haven't had a really good look at his game (work has been causing me to miss a lot of Laker games lately). I know his energy is a huge plus, but I'm wondering if he could be a starter, or if he's more of a spark-off-the-bench guy. Although I'd take Horace Grant out of retirement to supplant Kwame.
xdragon8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject:

for now he should come off the bench to give off energy...so far cook gives us more pts...it all depends on this summer...if cook gets his post D n rebounding up...cookie will b fightin time with Ronny...Kwame or Mhim could possibly b gone nex year due to a trade...and if mhim leaves...kwame will b our center..the PF spot is gonna b cookies n Ronny's
ig on the to
I dun know about u guyz...but Ronny looks too top heavy...the lay up he got...he should have dunked it...but it will come in time...i think if Ronny can get a consistant 15 footer...learn the tri...n quicker on the feet...he will b a threat....his big enough...he juss needs to b quicker...n box out...

I love Ronny's energy...very positive guy to have in the locker room...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Like his energy, don't like his size as a starting 4 or his skill set offensively as a starting 3.

But he brings some much needed energy, toughness and heart to the team. No doubt about it.

Great guy to bring off the bench, but I don't see him defending top-flight PFs effectively. I could be wrong of course.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject:

For this team?

Yes, Turiaf could become a starter.

But for most legitimate squads? No. He really needs a couple of years to refine his game. With a lot of hard work, I envision him as being a Charles Oakley type.

The reason he could start for us, though, is that his "motor" is always on. The limitations and mistakes that Turiaf will experience will only be due to ability and inexperience - not because of laziness or lack of focus.

I know that some might argue that Cook would get the starting nod over Ronny and I won't necessarily disagree with that (Cook has demonstrated improvement this season). But I think that Turiaf offers more in the way of defense and toughness in the post (as evidenced yesterday). Some coaches might place a higher value on that as opposed to what Cook offers on offense.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Next year, when he is in better shape. As of now he is not ready.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:

The best thing about Ronny is his positive attitude and energy...

Ronny doesn't care is he starts, he just wants to play. On the other hand, Cook seems to shoot even better when he starts versus coming off the bench. I don't know about the 5 spot next season with Mihm maybe getting traded, but I think our 4 position is coming along fine with a Cook/Turiaf combo.
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:

what do we have to lose?
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Reward play and attitude and hustle, my theory
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:

no
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Like his energy, don't like his size as a starting 4 or his skill set offensively as a starting 3.

But he brings some much needed energy, toughness and heart to the team. No doubt about it.

Great guy to bring off the bench, but I don't see him defending top-flight PFs effectively. I could be wrong of course.

Why? He's 6'10" with long arms, and held his own last night against the vets. I think he'll make an excellent starter probably as early as next season. Sure as hell ain't gonna be Kwame.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject:

I watch a fair amount of college hoops. I've watched Turiaf play whenever possible, over his collegiate career at Gonzaga.

In college he was an imposing figure that looked bigger than the rest even if, on paper, they were actually bigger.

I saw that in last nights game with the Celtics. He seemed to come on the floor and have an immediate impact and my eyes were focused on what he was doing as the play usaully came to him. He sparked the Lakers and players on the bench who watched his intensity, particularly Smush Parker, came back on the floor with enengy trying to match his.

That brought the Lakers back and made it a game they could have won. If they had, he would have been hailed the hero.

How long before he earns the starting job at power forward? I would start him in the next game. And, I'd bet the Lakers would blow out the opposition in the 1st quarter and carry it to victory.

A note to Phil Jackson. Get over the not playing rookies. Give this man a chance. He is ready, and the Lakers need his energy and intensity.
stojan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:

dagger wrote:
Quote:
He's 6'10" with long arms,

correct me if im wrong but wasnt there some rumours going about that turiaf was 6'8 and not 6'10 and apprently that dropped his stock abit.

do the original post turiaf is great energy off the bench but he just doesnt have the skills for me consider him starting material.

"I don't have the first clue who he is talking about, because all I worry about is Jerome."
kobeodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject:

^^i think turiaf is indeed 6'10" but im really not sure.

hes gonna make a fine starter in a year or so. this season, i just wanna see him for 18-20 mins off the bench. he would be a GREAT boost off the bench, especially on defense. i hope he plays WITH cook so cook can score and he can defend.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject:

stojan wrote:
dagger wrote:
Quote:
He's 6'10" with long arms,

correct me if im wrong but wasnt there some rumours going about that turiaf was 6'8 and not 6'10 and apprently that dropped his stock abit.

do the original post turiaf is great energy off the bench but he just doesnt have the skills for me consider him starting material.

iirc, he's 6-8 1/2 in socks with 7-1 wingspan. Plenty big, athletic and strong.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject:

From the Chicago predraft measurements:

6'8" in socks, 6'9 1/2" in shoes, 237.8 lb. 7'1 1/2" wingspan, 8' 10 1/2" reach.
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject:

I think Turiaf should come in as a starter on the PF position, or if both Mihm or Kwame is struggling he should be at the C position as he can play D as well.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
From the Chicago predraft measurements:

6'8" in socks, 6'9 1/2" in shoes, 237.8 lb. 7'1 1/2" wingspan, 8' 10 1/2" reach.

Similar to Boozer's numbers, except Boozer had a better reach by 3 inches. Ronny might jump higher, though, don't know:

Boozer, Carlos - weight 258, height w/o shoes 6' 7 3/4", w/shoes 6' 9 1/4", wingspan 7' 2 1/4", reach 9' 1/2"
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject:

Strange that Boozer's reach would be 2" more since he was 1/4" shorter and had 3/4" longer wingspan.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Strange that Boozer's reach would be 2" more since he was 1/4" shorter and had 3/4" longer wingspan.

You've got different body types, higher shoulders, wider shoulders...
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject:

Most halfway decent PFs could start for the Lakers. Unfortunately.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject:

I would deal Mihm and someone else for Booz.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject:

Yes he should be our starter. He understands the system. Kobe even said it to him - "you understand what we are doing better than guys that have been here six months do".

Most guys like him are underrated because they don't attempt to dominate on the offensive end. He doesn't have to dominate, just give us 10-12 pts a game without turning the ballover or making the offense stutter and stop.

I would like to go deeper but it is 2:47 and I have to go to work in the morning.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
kobeodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject:

^^ even 6-8 ppg is fine with me for this season. but i just appreciate his D now, most of all. he can get 6-8 pts, but his man might only get 2-4 GO RONNY!
KB8@LG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject:

He has yet to learn the triangle. I wouldn´t start him.
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject:

not this year.

the only NBA team he's ever had any kind of minutes against is the celtics. Yeah, we lost to them, but they suck, and we have no idea how turiaf would do against a better PF.

let's not get carried away - the dude certainly looks promising, but he's coming off major heart surgery and has played 32 minutes in the NBA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: