Easy LOBS - Completely Disappeared
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Easy LOBS - Completely Disappeared

Notice something missing in the flow of our offense this season, its been purely muddy compared to last.

Honestly, when was the last time we’ve seen the Lakers get an easy lob dunk during a game this season? Honest to goodness question.

Last season LeBron and Rondo would connect on 4-6 lobs per game to AD, Dwight, McGee for at least 10-12 easy points per game. Not even LeBron to AD have been connecting as much.

Now everything has to be earned in the half court, even paint points are hard to come by, and when jumpers aren’t falling we’re just a team of ugly shots, no more easy lob points.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject:

This. It's not a huge deal overall, but the loss of McGee/DH hasn't been a problem for the Lakers rim protection, it's a problem for vertical spacing.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject:

I miss the energy Dwight Howard bought to the team.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy LOBS - Completely Disappeared

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Honestly, when was the last time we’ve seen the Lakers get an easy lob dunk during a game this season? Honest to goodness question.

According to bing last Lakers lob would be Kuzma to Trez in Chicago, 4 games ago. They sure seem to be few and far between these days.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject:

The lobs were actually quite devastating as it kept teams honest with their defenses. It was an offensive threat we no longer possess with Gasol and Harrell. Rondo's great passing actually made Howard an offensive force because of the lobs and Rondo was coming off the bench. Howard running the floor just put so much pressure on opposing team's bigs to keep up because a smaller defender would not deter Rondo/Lebron to lob it up over them.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject:

We have to get back to our old fast-breaking style. It's our bread and butter on offense. We don't have the personnel to be really effective and beat the elite teams playing that slow-it-down crap.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject:

As far as I can see Trezz for Howard has not paid off *yet*. The idea, I believe was, that Trezz's offensive potential would more than overcome his deficit in verticality and size, and he would be playable for more minutes (especially with bench units) thus allowing AD/LBJ to get more rest than last season.
My eye-test says this is not happening yet (would be great to see some data on this), that in general lineups with Trezz are not producing that "oomph" that we had all hoped for. (Not panicking yet, need to give it another 20 games at least).
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
As far as I can see Trezz for Howard has not paid off *yet*. The idea, I believe was, that Trezz's offensive potential would more than overcome his deficit in verticality and size, and he would be playable for more minutes (especially with bench units) thus allowing AD/LBJ to get more rest than last season.
My eye-test says this is not happening yet (would be great to see some data on this), that in general lineups with Trezz are not producing that "oomph" that we had all hoped for. (Not panicking yet, need to give it another 20 games at least).

Nah I’d say this is pretty accurate already. Losing Dwight hurt, not sure his contribution is easily replaceable with whatever is left from the buyout market. He and javale to a lesser extent were almost easy baskets if we really needed one, run a pick and roll with someone and just lob it up there for them. That feature is gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject:

A couple thoughts.

This season we've only had 3-4 of those lobs where AD spins off his man. Losing Rondo cut those down. I also don't think they want to run a lot of lobs for AD anyway as we don't want to get him hurt. (It also felt like they reduced his lobs early into last season.)

Outside of lobs to AD, remember in the playoffs our lob game disappeared. We had tall lineups out there and did not advantage of the opportunities. It was not a big part of our game at all. And the vertical spacing advantage wasn't really a thing. So we largely went away from lobs in the post season, chose instead to play smaller and space out the floor. It was driving me nuts early on in the post season until they finally just didn't play McGee/Howard that much.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject:

One of the biggest issues is that LeBron has no chemistry with Trezz. Trezz hasn’t even looked dominant in the pnr with our guards. Has Bron and Trezz connected on a lob all season?
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject:

ZeroDark30_ wrote:
One of the biggest issues is that LeBron has no chemistry with Trezz. Trezz hasn’t even looked dominant in the pnr with our guards. Has Bron and Trezz connected on a lob all season?

I witnessed several Lebron-Trezz plays in the Detroit game, which didn't look that great - at least a a few times both LBJ/Trezz ended up tangled under the basket going for offensive boards/putbacks. I guess Vogel/LBJ are at least trying - hopefully it will get better over the season.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject:

Letting both Dwight and JaVale go was clearly a mistake.

Fans downplaying their contributions to that title team has been pure comedy.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I miss the energy Dwight Howard bought to the team.

Pelinka is not an idiot, Howard hardly plays for the 76ers...hopefully they get him back after the February deadline.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
This. It's not a huge deal overall, but the loss of McGee/DH hasn't been a problem for the Lakers rim protection, it's a problem for vertical spacing.

Agreed. I figure the overall offense so far is better than last year, so I really didn't care. It's a trade off of lob threats vs. 3pt spacing/open shots for Gasol when he cares.

I'll take the latter.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
Letting both Dwight and JaVale go was clearly a mistake.

Fans downplaying their contributions to that title team has been pure comedy.

Barely played in the playoffs os a big loss?. smh

Maybe a big loss in the regular season offense I'll give you that.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Gasol can't get more than 2" off the ground and can't move...
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Anyone else get that uneasy feeling in your gut whenever Marc gets the ball in the low post and he tries to take a shot? It’s been pretty bad almost Kwame like air balling easy close range shots...
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Anyone else get that uneasy feeling in your gut whenever Marc gets the ball in the low post and he tries to take a shot? It’s been pretty bad almost Kwame like air balling easy close range shots...

He's been so bad in the post that it's borderline funny.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

He's big enough to where he should be able to shoot over a few people. What's funny is how fast he passes it as soon as he gets the ball and then sets a screen. He won't screen and role, he won't pop out, he's just set a screen and feel so happy that he's contributed.

He reminds me of the big, awkward guy during pickup games that everyone knows can't play so they tell him to just set screens and keep your hands high on defense.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

He's big enough to where he should be able to shoot over a few people. What's funny is how fast he passes it as soon as he gets the ball and then sets a screen. He won't screen and role, he won't pop out, he's just set a screen and feel so happy that he's contributed.

He reminds me of the big, awkward guy during pickup games that everyone knows can't play so they tell him to just set screens and keep your hands high on defense.

He looks like LURCH out there, just useless, he does get an occasional rebound by accident though...
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Some Flubber on those sneakers ? Maybe not, to heavy....
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Would be nice to have DH instead of dudley
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:32 am    Post subject:

How many lobs were we getting per game? I'd like data on that. Sure we got a few per game, but it wasn't a ton. How many half court iso buckets we got from D12 last year compared to Trezl? It's pretty nice dumping into Trezl and feeling good he can get a bucket. It's give and take, can't have it all.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Post? When do you see him in the post, he stands out at the three point line on offense and then either clanks a 3, or commits a turnover, it's embarassing how bad he is...
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Post? When do you see him in the post, he stands out at the three point line on offense and then either clanks a 3, or commits a turnover, it's embarassing how bad he is...

Yeah he does that a lot, but he indeed has been in the post occasionally. Check out recordings of the Philly/Detroit games.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: