Why dont people want J.Buss as GM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Why dont people want J.Buss as GM

He won 2 titles in the wnba, hey its something.
He is a star F****R, which is good for the team. "Stars" usually mean talent. We need talent. He at least on the surface likes the GLORY of being a "Player" in the world of NBA owners and that usually means a guy who wants to surround the team with hype and media attention. People seem to cast there judgement on him based off Vescys article over the summer, but living in LA Jim is known as a pretty chill dude.

I am down with having a guy who loves stars making deals. He is in thick with hollywood folk and he HAS TO KNOW what people are saying. IMO Kup is getting in his way.
Please if you are going to crack on him come up with a better reason than he raised horses
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Jim Buss as GM? No comment.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:

Why? because peter Vescey says no
THE GOODS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject:

the reason why people used horses as their reason to bash jim buss is because he made a direct comparison between horses and basketball players...which some people probably took the wrong way...honestly i really don't know much about jim buss so i'll stay grounded on this topic...
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:

THE GOODS wrote:
the reason why people used horses as their reason to bash jim buss is because he made a direct comparison between horses and basketball players...which some people probably took the wrong way...honestly i really don't know much about jim buss so i'll stay grounded on this topic...

WOW!!! Honesty on LG. Props. I dont know much about his thought process. Nothing really but, his involvement with hollywood types and the scene isnt such a bad thing. His mentor is probably one of the best owners in the history of sport.

Hes not as rich as Cuban but if he has the same mindset of putting star product on the court that cant be all bad. Hell, thats what most of us have been begging for.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Jim Buss wasn't in charge of the Sparks - His brother Johnny is.
kawai442
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Because he's never been successful at anything in his life.

He was also the one who hired Rudy T for the amount that he did without the go ahead from the rest of the management.

If they said Jeane, then I'd be fine but why give the #1 franchise to a guy who is always failing?
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Get your crap straight.

Let me be clear. If you have not spent a significant amount of time actually playing and understanding the sport of basketball, you have no business in hell as a GM of an NBA team.

no go.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

First, it doesn't matter what people here want in terms of what actually happens. We are not stockholders with a vote. What matters is what Dr. Buss wants.
Second, Dr. Buss doesn't want Jim Buss or Jeannie Buss to be the GM, anymore than he ever wanted to be the GM. He wants Jim to be in charge and take over the team when he retires. That's not the GM. That is a position substantially more powerful than the GM. He wants his children to own the team and to run the team the same way he has run the team. Whether they can or not remains to be seen. But again, it's not up to us to decide. It's up to Dr. Buss, and he has already decided.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject:

How come Jeannie doesn't get first dibs at this? She's not a screw up.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject:

he just a daddy's boy who would be nothing if he wasnt born into money, give the job to the person most qualified
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject:

get a qualified and experienced talent evaluator. Don't hire daddy's boy who has no basketball experience or talent.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject:

LoL bashing him because he raised horses is as futile as praising him for fornicating with celebrities.

Neither has anything to do with basketball.

Last edited by Ziggy on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
get a qualified and experienced talent evaluator. Don't hire daddy's boy who has no basketball experience or talent.

yes, the most qualified person should get the job-that odds of that being Jim Buss are slim.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:
Charles wrote:

yes, the most qualified person should get the job-that odds of that being Jim Buss are slim.

You guys know that how? The guy was born into the Lakers organization, there are probably a handful of people who know more about the Lakers than he does. The fact is, just because he hasnt played in the NBA doesnt make him a poor evaluator of talent, and deal closer. I can name a so many people that think they have great basketball minds, without ever having stepped foot in an NBA game(some from this board.) We really wont know what kind of GM he would make without actually giving him the chance. I'm with bounty on this one.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

You already don't think he has enough influence in the Lakers office? I thought it was pretty well known, and reported by the media, that Jimmy personally negotiated Rudy T's contract, and vastly overpaid him - but luckily got out of it when Rudy decided to retire.

Aren't there plenty of reports of Jimmy being very involved in the Lakers' office?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Why dont people want J.Buss as GM

bounty wrote:
He won 2 titles in the wnba, hey its something.
He is a star F****R, which is good for the team. "Stars" usually mean talent. We need talent. He at least on the surface likes the GLORY of being a "Player" in the world of NBA owners and that usually means a guy who wants to surround the team with hype and media attention. People seem to cast there judgement on him based off Vescys article over the summer, but living in LA Jim is known as a pretty chill dude.

I am down with having a guy who loves stars making deals. He is in thick with hollywood folk and he HAS TO KNOW what people are saying. IMO Kup is getting in his way.
Please if you are going to crack on him come up with a better reason than he raised horses

Using your logic, we should put George Bush in charge of the country because he enjoys abusing power...
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject:

Anyway Jimmy is micromanaging now... "He don't need no stinking GM tittle"
GailGoodrich25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject:

Charles wrote:

Amen Brother... What's become of this once proud organization Suddenly the front office has no clue :roll:
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

Why dont people want J.Buss as GM?

For the same reason I wouldn't want one of the 3 Stooges as my open heart surgeon
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Why dont people want J.Buss as GM?

For the same reason I wouldn't want one of the 3 Stooges as my open heart surgeon

P.K. you can rest assured that no one stooge would go anywhere by himself! After they put you under all three of them would proceed to kill you while slapping each other and gouging each others eyes and (bleep)!

Oh and seriously, flambouyance and, go for broke dealing don't always work either for winning championships. Otherwise the Blazers infamous "Trader Bob" would be the most omnipotent man in the business. The Heat would be so far out in front by now that the Pistons would at least need to be worried. Cuban has one player he'll keep and, each and, every year they put on a show and that is all they do. That's all they are doing now...

It is conservative vs nonconservative and, the jury will be out a long time on the matter...

Actually who said that Jr. Buss is a "hale Mary" dealer anyway?

Last edited by THE_SHOES on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

Jim Buss. I've encountered many privileged Daddy's boys in my life and there was always a constant. They don't know anything. Yes he has had experience in the front office under Mitch and Jerry, allegedly, and that is priceless but you could take anyone off the street and give them the same experience. Would you want to take Jo Schmo off the street and make him GM?
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:

Which one? Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard or Dr. Fine?
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

If we really want to go "Hollywood" why not have a contest a la Survivor or American Idol to pick our next GM. I don't think we could do much worse than the current combo of Mitch and Jim. This org. has turned into a joke. Over the past 5 years, our basketball moves have to rank in the bottom 5 of the league.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
orwell wrote:

Why? because peter Vescey says no

No, I do not give a flying [BLEEP] what Peter Vescey thinks! I just don't want the Los Angeles Lakers to turn in to another Dallas Mavericks. The Lakers organization does not need a Mark Cuban type of character for GM.

Thanks for stopping by, Jimmy!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: